RemedySpot.com

peak performance

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I start my thinking about peak achievement states from three places:

1. The findings of Kamiya, the Greens, Jim Hardt and others when they looked at the brains of yogis, Zen meditators and others: all these guys produced highly synchronous alpha states and many were able to hold that coherence into slower speeds, as their frequencies dropped into theta and sometimes even Delta ranges.

2. Barry Sterman's work with B2 bomber pilots: Top guns produced high levels of coherent alpha over the whole head and were able to burst specific areas into beta when a specific task had to be done, with almost immediate return to the alpha state when finished.

3. My own experiences of peak zone states in creative, problem solving or athletic endeavors. In all cases I experienced a pure mental stillness and complete presence in the moment--feelings I relate with a coherent alpha state.

There are three performance states, in my view, which go into peak performance: the ability to get into and stay in the zone state as the base for performance, the ability to shift smoothly in and out of the focused beta "doing it" state, and the ability to access and use the visualization state. How these are used varies by sport. In golf, standing over a shot, you may plan the shot (distance, club, hazards, strategy, etc.) visualize, then go into the zonefor your swing. In basketball, for a free throw, you might just visualize and then go to the zone. In sports like soccer, where the game is more about flow than about individual acts, you may visualize before hand and just focus on staying in the zone as much as possible during the game. I would work with any athlete on all three though.

When someone comes to me to train for peak performance, I always start with the assumption that "all brain training is peak performance training". I begin with an assessment to identify issues in the client's brain that could lead to inattention, impulsiveness, anxiety, fogginess or any other mental state or performance issue. Any of these will obviously impact performance in negative ways. I then usually begin by training whatever protocols are suggested by the brain activation, usually for about 10 sessions. I learned to do this when I first began working with ADHD kids, many of whom were athletes, and found that they often reported improvements in athletic performance before we saw improvements in school performance, as their brains begin to get stronger and more effective.

After we've begun making some progress with the indicated protocol, then I would add a segment to each session training alpha amplitude up at P3 or Pz with eyes closed. I explain to the client that they are starting to teach their brains to go into that zone state. If they already produce alpha/theta ratios over 1.5 with eyes closed, this may not be a very long step. It's just a matter of having them recognize the state. If their alpha/theta ratio is lower, then I'll stay with this a little longer. Then I'll do some P3/P4 coherence up training. After they are able to sustain alpha coherences between about 70 and 90, then I'll train up coherence between P3 and C3.

The parietal lobe, the P sites, is the sensory integration area. It contains the "association area of association areas", which takes the information from visual (occipital), auditory (temporal), touch (sensorimotor cortex in the Central strip) and proprioception (parietal) and combines them into a single unified vision of the environment. When this happens in a nice synchronous alpha state, the brain is spending the least possible energy getting an integrated and accurate view of where it is "playing". Two major elements of peak performance are 1. Not wasting energy, so you have it at the end of the game; and 2. Staying in contact with your environment in a sophisticated way.

Remember that you CANNOT PERFORM A TASK IN ALPHA OVER WHICH YOU DO NOT HAVE MASTERY. You don't throw your first forkball--or maybe your first hundred--in alpha. You don't necessarily play a new course the first time in alpha. You are getting a picture of the process into you head, creating experience about how things happen in that environment. However, once you have done that, then you brain can take over much of the process WITHOUT THE CONSCIOUS MIND. That's the point where you begin to see what will happen just an instant before it happens.

At some point, as the initial "strength training" portion of the work is stabilizing and the alpha coherence work is coming along, I will introduce the visualization state, which is training up 6-8 Hz. I may help the client construct a visualization relating to personal life or to specific sports events (hitting a driver off the tee). I have them recall some "perfect" drives they have hit in the past, and go into the alpha state, then begin visualizing that event, feeling it and recalling it in detail as they increase the target frequency.

Hope this is helpful. Hopefully we can get some discussion from those of you who work with athletes with or without neurofeedback, those who have done some peak performance or anyone who has consonant or differing views.

My main points are:

1. You have to have the "physical memory" already embedded from practicing (as much as possible in the zone state);

2. You have to have the "rest of the brain" functioning effectively (minimal Filtering, Processing, Switching or Tone issues);

3. You learn the visualization (programming) and zone (letting it run) states and increase your ability to access and sustain them.

Pete

• 1 year later...
Guest guest

The obvious names are Rae Tattenbaum, Dan

Chartier, and of course, Wise.

All of them have published, and do a lot

of speaking and teaching.

Tom

> Pete, , Tom, Everyone

>

> Does anyone know a practitioner (or are you) doing a lot of peak

performance

> work (atheletes, musicians, etc.).

> Thanks

>

• 5 years later...

Will,If you have the TLC package, there are designs called Alpha coherence up, multiband coherence up, alpha gamma synchrony, alpha synchrony and perhaps some others.  If you don't know where you want to improve coherence, then I assume you don't actually know that it's low anywhere.  I'd take a look at the assessment to determine where and what frequencies you ought to train to increase coherence--or if you should.

Alpha gamma synchrony is a sort of general purpose training (generally at P3/A1/g/P4/A2 (L) or at the equivalent C or O sites.)  It is done with Linked ear references and with eyes closed (though after you get good at that you can try it with eyes open as well).  Alpha gamma synchrony is kind of the " zone " state.

Alpha theta is another classic " peak performance " training.Pete-- Van Deusenpvdtlc@...http://www.brain-trainer.com

USA 305 433 3160BR 47 3346 6235The Learning Curve, Inc.

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 10:17 PM, willbfehr <willbfehr@...> wrote:

Hello all,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows which protocol(s) would be the best to implement coherence training and also peak performance training.

I have been a home trainer for about a year now, but have been dealing with emotional issues up to this point. As far as that goes, things seem to be balancing out, so I'd like to improve coherence where desirable and also start some peak performance training.

I don't know what protocols are best for this or what scalp locations are the best to start at.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

WillF.

Will,If you have the TLC package, there are designs called Alpha coherence up, multiband coherence up, alpha gamma synchrony, alpha synchrony and perhaps some others.  If you don't know where you want to improve coherence, then I assume you don't actually know that it's low anywhere.  I'd take a look at the assessment to determine where and what frequencies you ought to train to increase coherence--or if you should.

Alpha gamma synchrony is a sort of general purpose training (generally at P3/A1/g/P4/A2 (L) or at the equivalent C or O sites.)  It is done with Linked ear references and with eyes closed (though after you get good at that you can try it with eyes open as well).  Alpha gamma synchrony is kind of the " zone " state.

Alpha theta is another classic " peak performance " training.Pete-- Van Deusenpvdtlc@...http://www.brain-trainer.com

USA 305 433 3160BR 47 3346 6235The Learning Curve, Inc.

Hello all,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows which protocol(s) would be the best to implement coherence training and also peak performance training.

I have been a home trainer for about a year now, but have been dealing with emotional issues up to this point. As far as that goes, things seem to be balancing out, so I'd like to improve coherence where desirable and also start some peak performance training.

I don't know what protocols are best for this or what scalp locations are the best to start at.

Thanks,

WillF.

• 4 weeks later...

Pete,

Sorry to back track, and sponge off

another’s post but I read the posts regarding peak performance, and trained coherence

at O sites, but found that I was getting the bell going off quite a lot for coherence

too high, pretty much immediately once eyes closed. I ran the session through

another design for synchrony and the phase is very close to 0 a lot of the

time. Does this mean I will not benefit from these types of training?

If so then should I look at alpha gamma synchrony

next or Alpha /theta? I will take an assessment soon and see if coherence should

be trained anywhere.

Regards,

Kent.

[mailto: ]

On Behalf Of Van Deusen

Sent: Wednesday, 27 January 2010

8:21 PM

Subject: Re: Peak

Performance

Will,

If you have the TLC package, there are designs called Alpha coherence up,

multiband coherence up, alpha gamma synchrony, alpha synchrony and perhaps some

others. If you don't know where you want to improve coherence, then I

assume you don't actually know that it's low anywhere. I'd take a look at

the assessment to determine where and what frequencies you ought to train to

increase coherence--or if you should.

Alpha gamma synchrony is a sort of general purpose training (generally at

P3/A1/g/P4/A2 (L) or at the equivalent C or O sites.) It is done with

Linked ear references and with eyes closed (though after you get good at that

you can try it with eyes open as well). Alpha gamma synchrony is kind of

the " zone " state.

Alpha theta is another classic " peak performance " training.

Pete

--

Van Deusen

pvdtlc@...

http://www.brain-trainer.com

USA

305 433 3160

BR 47 3346 6235

The Learning Curve, Inc.

Hello all,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows which protocol(s) would be the best to

implement coherence training and also peak performance training.

I have been a home trainer for about a year now, but have been dealing with

emotional issues up to this point. As far as that goes, things seem to be

balancing out, so I'd like to improve coherence where desirable and also start

some peak performance training.

I don't know what protocols are best for this or what scalp locations are the

best to start at.

Thanks,

WillF.

No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 9.0.733 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2647 - Release Date: 01/27/10 05:36:00

Pete,

another’s post but I read the posts regarding peak performance, and trained coherence

at O sites, but found that I was getting the bell going off quite a lot for coherence

next or Alpha /theta? I will take an assessment soon and see if coherence should

be trained anywhere.

Regards,

Kent.

[mailto: ]

On Behalf Of Van Deusen

Sent: Wednesday, 27 January 2010

8:21 PM

Subject: Re: Peak

Performance

Will,

If you have the TLC package, there are designs called Alpha coherence up,

multiband coherence up, alpha gamma synchrony, alpha synchrony and perhaps some

others. If you don't know where you want to improve coherence, then I

assume you don't actually know that it's low anywhere. I'd take a look at

the assessment to determine where and what frequencies you ought to train to

increase coherence--or if you should.

Alpha gamma synchrony is a sort of general purpose training (generally at

P3/A1/g/P4/A2 (L) or at the equivalent C or O sites.) It is done with

Linked ear references and with eyes closed (though after you get good at that

you can try it with eyes open as well). Alpha gamma synchrony is kind of

the " zone " state.

Alpha theta is another classic " peak performance " training.

Pete

--

Van Deusen

pvdtlc@...

http://www.brain-trainer.com

USA

305 433 3160

BR 47 3346 6235

The Learning Curve, Inc.

Hello all,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows which protocol(s) would be the best to

implement coherence training and also peak performance training.

I have been a home trainer for about a year now, but have been dealing with

emotional issues up to this point. As far as that goes, things seem to be

balancing out, so I'd like to improve coherence where desirable and also start

some peak performance training.

I don't know what protocols are best for this or what scalp locations are the

best to start at.

Thanks,

WillF.

No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 9.0.733 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2647 - Release Date: 01/27/10 05:36:00

Kent,The closer together two sites are, the easier it is for them to be synchronous.  If you look at a bunch of assessments, you'll notice that (unless there is significant artifact) T3 and T4, T5 and T6 generally have very low coherence readings.  Fp1 and Fp2 or Cz and Pz have very high coherences.  So, given that, O1 and O2 would be pretty highly coherent, especially in alpha with eyes closed.

I generally train synchrony at P3 and P4 or C3 and C4, training with eyes closed until the levels are good, then trying to hold it with eyes open.I also generally use alpha gamma synchrony instead of alpha for anyone I'm going to train synchrony.

Pete-- Van Deusenpvdtlc@...http://www.brain-trainer.comUSA 305 433 3160BR 47 3346 6235

The Learning Curve, Inc.

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 6:52 AM, Kent 2 <kentmartin99@...> wrote:

another’s post but I  read the posts regarding peak performance, and trained coherence

be trained anywhere.

Kent,The closer together two sites are, the easier it is for them to be synchronous.  If you look at a bunch of assessments, you'll notice that (unless there is significant artifact) T3 and T4, T5 and T6 generally have very low coherence readings.  Fp1 and Fp2 or Cz and Pz have very high coherences.  So, given that, O1 and O2 would be pretty highly coherent, especially in alpha with eyes closed.

I generally train synchrony at P3 and P4 or C3 and C4, training with eyes closed until the levels are good, then trying to hold it with eyes open.I also generally use alpha gamma synchrony instead of alpha for anyone I'm going to train synchrony.

Pete-- Van Deusenpvdtlc@...http://www.brain-trainer.comUSA 305 433 3160BR 47 3346 6235

The Learning Curve, Inc.

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 6:52 AM, Kent 2 <kentmartin99@...> wrote:

another’s post but I  read the posts regarding peak performance, and trained coherence

be trained anywhere.