RemedySpot.com

Re: Support Group Ideas

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I would love to hear about the ones you have done because what you mentioned already sounds more fun than what we have done!!!

support group ideas

Does anyone have any creative and fun ideas for a support group meeting? We have done fashion shows, game shows, etc. We are running out of ideas and I would love to hear some of the fun things you have done in your support group meetings.Traci Sipperly RD, LD Sacred Heart Institute for Surgical Weight Loss Pensacola, Florida

Here are some ideas from the NorCal Bariatric Nutrition Networking Group July meeting. (Sorry for the crosspost, I inadvertently responded your message on another list!)

Jeanne Blankenship

support group ideas

Does anyone have any creative and fun ideas for a support group meeting? We have done fashion shows, game shows, etc. We are running out of ideas and I would love to hear some of the fun things you have done in your support group meetings.Traci Sipperly RD, LD Sacred Heart Institute for Surgical Weight Loss Pensacola, Florida

• 10 months later...
Guest guest

portion sizes, holiday eating, summer parties, grilling,

an intro to tofu, " soft " calories- just a few off the top of my head.

There may be some other ideas in the files section of this group

---- eatfouryourhealth <eatfouryourhealth@...> wrote:

> Hello Everyone!

> I am the guest speaker every other month and I've run out of ideas.

> The group consist of pre and post op patients. Things I've done in the

> past:

> Why we need supplements

> The gastric bypass relationship with the dietary guidelines for Ams

> supermarket shopping: what's in your cart

> I had the group write down everything they consumed that day, and as a

> group we critiqued the day of eating

> Eating pre and post surgery

>

> I would appreciate any ideas anyone is willing to share.

> thank you in advance

> Chantye , RD, CDE

> Virginia Beach

> Outpatient Dietitian

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Before I worked at my current facility, we used to have guest speakers at support group meetings. No more- our patients prefer free discussion. Either myself or our NP is there to facilitate, but the patients carry on GREAT discussions for thr full hour. Both pre- ops & post-ops. I actually learn a lot from my patients.AngieAngie , MEd, RD

Nutritionist

SIUH Center for the Surgical Treatment of Obesity

256 Mason Avenue

Staten Island, NY 10305

718-226-1300

• 9 months later...
Guest guest

Hello All,

THere will be a Professional Networking Group at ASBS on Support Groups, wed 3:30-4:30 pm in San Diego.

Topics to be discussed are:

1. Getting Patients to comply with supplements by Smietka, RN of Beyond Change

2. Facilitating Support Groups - with Colleen Cook of Bariatric Support Center International

3. Common Nutritional Concerns after WLS - Wong-Swartz, MHSA, LHRM, RD, CCF (if time permits)

Wong-Swartz, MHSA,LHRM,RD,LD/N

Program Coordinator, Bariatric Institute

Chair Support Group Committee

American Society for Bariatric Surgery

To view support group schedule:

http://www.ccf.org/florida/departments/bariatric

2950 Cleveland Clinic Blvd.

Weston, Florida 33331

Tel: 954-659-5872

Fax: 954-659-5256

swartze@...

===================================

Cleveland Clinic is ranked one of the top 3 hospitals in

America by U.S.News World Report. Visit us online at

http://www.clevelandclinic.org for a complete listing of

our services, staff and locations.

Confidentiality Note: This message is intended for use

only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed

and may contain information that is privileged,

confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable

law. If the reader of this message is not the intended

recipient or the employee or agent responsible for

delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are

hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or

copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If

you have received this communication in error, please

contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in

its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. Thank you.

Guest guest

Hello All,

THere will be a Professional Networking Group at ASBS on Support Groups, wed 3:30-4:30 pm in San Diego.

Topics to be discussed are:

1. Getting Patients to comply with supplements by Smietka, RN of Beyond Change

2. Facilitating Support Groups - with Colleen Cook of Bariatric Support Center International

3. Common Nutritional Concerns after WLS - Wong-Swartz, MHSA, LHRM, RD, CCF (if time permits)

Program Coordinator, Bariatric Institute

Weston, Florida 33331

swartze@...

Guest guest

That's great! I am going to ASBS and noticed the booklet does not have the dietitian networking meeting noted. Is this it, or will there be others? Also, if anyone else is going by themselves and would like to meet up, Email me directly. Jmcleod@.... I'll be there Monday afternoon. Janelle D. McLeod, RDGastric Bypass CoordinatorPenn State Hershey Medical Center717-531-6321 This message (including any attachments) contains information intended for a specific individual(s) and purpose that may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure pursuant to applicable law. Any inappropriate use, distribution or copying of the message is strictly prohibited and may subject you to criminal or civil penalty. If you have received this transmission in error, please reply to the sender indicating this error and delete the transmission from your system immediately. >>> "Wong-Swartz, " <swartze@...> 5/14/2007 9:16 AM >>>Hello All, THere will be a Professional Networking Group at ASBS on Support Groups, wed 3:30-4:30 pm in San Diego.Topics to be discussed are:1. Getting Patients to comply with supplements by Smietka, RN of Beyond Change2. Facilitating Support Groups - with Colleen Cook of Bariatric Support Center International3. Common Nutritional Concerns after WLS - Wong-Swartz, MHSA, LHRM, RD, CCF (if time permits) Wong-Swartz, MHSA,LHRM,RD,LD/NProgram Coordinator, Bariatric InstituteChair Support Group CommitteeAmerican Society for Bariatric Surgery To view support group schedule:http://www.ccf.org/florida/departments/bariatric 2950 Cleveland Clinic Blvd.Weston, Florida 33331 Tel: 954-659-5872Fax: 954-659-5256swartzeccf (DOT) org ===================================Cleveland Clinic is ranked one of the top 3 hospitals inAmerica by U.S.News World Report. Visit us online athttp://www.clevelandclinic.org for a complete listing ofour services, staff and locations.Confidentiality Note: This message is intended for useonly by the individual or entity to which it is addressedand may contain information that is privileged,confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicablelaw. If the reader of this message is not the intendedrecipient or the employee or agent responsible fordelivering the message to the intended recipient, you arehereby notified that any dissemination, distribution orcopying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Ifyou have received this communication in error, pleasecontact the sender immediately and destroy the material inits entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. Thank you.

Guest guest

That's great! I am going to ASBS and noticed the booklet does not have the dietitian networking meeting noted. Is this it, or will there be others? Also, if anyone else is going by themselves and would like to meet up, Email me directly. Jmcleod@.... I'll be there Monday afternoon. Janelle D. McLeod, RDGastric Bypass CoordinatorPenn State Hershey Medical Center717-531-6321 This message (including any attachments) contains information intended for a specific individual(s) and purpose that may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure pursuant to applicable law. Any inappropriate use, distribution or copying of the message is strictly prohibited and may subject you to criminal or civil penalty. If you have received this transmission in error, please reply to the sender indicating this error and delete the transmission from your system immediately. >>> "Wong-Swartz, " <swartze@...> 5/14/2007 9:16 AM >>>Hello All, THere will be a Professional Networking Group at ASBS on Support Groups, wed 3:30-4:30 pm in San Diego.Topics to be discussed are:1. Getting Patients to comply with supplements by Smietka, RN of Beyond Change2. Facilitating Support Groups - with Colleen Cook of Bariatric Support Center International3. Common Nutritional Concerns after WLS - Wong-Swartz, MHSA, LHRM, RD, CCF (if time permits) Wong-Swartz, MHSA,LHRM,RD,LD/NProgram Coordinator, Bariatric InstituteChair Support Group CommitteeAmerican Society for Bariatric Surgery To view support group schedule:http://www.ccf.org/florida/departments/bariatric 2950 Cleveland Clinic Blvd.Weston, Florida 33331 Tel: 954-659-5872Fax: 954-659-5256swartzeccf (DOT) org ===================================Cleveland Clinic is ranked one of the top 3 hospitals inAmerica by U.S.News World Report. Visit us online athttp://www.clevelandclinic.org for a complete listing ofour services, staff and locations.Confidentiality Note: This message is intended for useonly by the individual or entity to which it is addressedand may contain information that is privileged,confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicablelaw. If the reader of this message is not the intendedrecipient or the employee or agent responsible fordelivering the message to the intended recipient, you arehereby notified that any dissemination, distribution orcopying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Ifyou have received this communication in error, pleasecontact the sender immediately and destroy the material inits entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. Thank you.

• 1 month later...
Guest guest

I have patients " build " their own meals plans. I provide them with a

couple sheets of paper, the protocol, and they work in groups. Each

group gets a different scenario, " I am running late for work and don't

have time for breakfast or to pack a lunch. What do I eat. " It's really

fun and at the end I make copies for everyone to take. Gets the patients

really thinking.

RD

Support Group Ideas

I am planning a support group dealing with meal planning after lap-

band. Does anyone have any suggestions that have worked in their

support groups? Thansk!

Guest guest

Thats a great idea - would you mind listing your other scenarios that have been helpful? I think I may do something similar at this months support group.

Thanks

Marcus M.S., R.D., CD-N Center for Weight Management North Shore-LIJ Department of Medicine 2800 Marcus Avenue Suite 200 Lake Success, New York 11042 Voicemail: (516) 708-2659 Main: (516) 708-2560 Fax: (516) 708-2570

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Sent: Monday, July 02, 2007 7:21 PM Subject: RE: Support Group Ideas

I have patients "build" their own meals plans. I provide them with acouple sheets of paper, the protocol, and they work in groups. Eachgroup gets a different scenario, "I am running late for work and don'thave time for breakfast or to pack a lunch. What do I eat." It's reallyfun and at the end I make copies for everyone to take. Gets the patientsreally thinking. RD -----Original Message-----From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Ofkimbo083Sent: Monday, July 02, 2007 2:13 PM Subject: Support Group IdeasI am planning a support group dealing with meal planning after lap-band. Does anyone have any suggestions that have worked in theirsupport groups? Thansk!

Guest guest

thats an excellent idea!!! <jlewis@...> wrote: I have patients "build" their own meals plans. I provide them with acouple sheets of paper, the protocol, and they work in groups. Eachgroup gets a different scenario, "I am running late for work and don'thave time for breakfast or to pack a lunch. What do I eat." It's reallyfun and at the end I make copies for everyone to take. Gets the patientsreally thinking. RD -----Original Message-----From:

[mailto: ] On Behalf Ofkimbo083Sent: Monday, July 02, 2007 2:13 PM Subject: Support Group IdeasI am planning a support group dealing with meal planning after lap-band. Does anyone have any suggestions that have worked in theirsupport groups? Thansk!

Guest guest

To All,

Hope you had a wonderful 4th of July holiday.

As chair of the support group committee for ASBS, I am working on updating the Support Group manual to be available for purchase at next year's ASBS meeting. I am looking for contributions of handouts and presentations that you have used in the past for your support groups to be included in this manual. Credit will be given to the contributors.

Please pass this information on to your staff if you are not the one conducting the group.

I am also looking into preparing a reference list of resources for both patients and us, the health care providers=)

Please share with me great ideas that you have

Looking forward to working with you.

Program Coordinator, Bariatric and Metabolic Institute

Weston, Florida 33331

swartze@...

• 1 year later...

Are you looking for ideas for meetings? Here are some that worked well for

our group: Have a Behavior Therapist come to talk; Inclusion (you could

have parents come who have had success with inclusion, or a teacher), Young

Adults with DS (we had some individuals come and talk to our group, their

parents also came along to talk to the group), Special Needs Trust (have a

lawyer who specializes in this come to talk), Writing a successful IEP.

Good luck!

Ronca

Support Group Ideas

> Hi!

>

> I am in the process of trying to form a support group in our town and

> surrounding area. One of our local free family magazines has asked for

> a small paragraph to put in the magazine to be distributed to the area.

> I am looking for ideas to put in there. I have a few other families

> interested but it has been difficult coordinating schedules to get

> together to meet. Everyone here always seem to have great ideas and

> many have been down this road already so please feel free to submit

> your ideas to me.

>

> Thanks so much!

>

> Karyn

> Mom To Adena, 3

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

> Click reply to all for messages to go to the list. Just hit reply for

> messages to go to the sender of the message.

• 3 years later...

I have found a great response when there an external “mental expert” is brought in as a guest speaker i.e. psychologist, therapist, psychiatrist, etc. These individuals can assist clients/patients in managing the MENTAL/EMOTIONAL barriers & EXECUTING the information/skills/knowledge, behaviours and actions that dietitians are consistently recommending. Margeaux Maniatis, BASc, RD | Registered Clinical Dietitian Surgical Weight Loss Centre www.swlc.ca From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of friesemasSent: Thursday October 20, 2011 3:31 PM Subject: Support Group Ideas Does anyone have suggestions for topics for support groups? I am responsible for this at my facility (bariatric patients and weight loss patients) and just have not been creative recently. Any suggestions are welcome! Friesema, RDLakeland Comprehensive Weight Loss Center Niles, MI 49315

Creating informative and engaging Support Group Topics can be a challenge. If you are the professional responsible for support group, then you know that even when you have a topic in mind, you first have to plan the lesson, develop an associated handout, promote it to patients and so on. BariMD is pleased to announce a new resource for bariatric programs called Support Group Assistant. It is a turn-key web based solution to provide you with a Leader Guide for each topic in our ever growing collection with an associated Practice Branded Patient Handout, Sign in Sheet, Evaluation as well as a web calendar to feature your selected events with links that patients can ‘Save to My Calendar’ and ‘Send to a Friend’. The resource is very efficient and effective, even giving you the ability to auto-send announcement & reminder emails to your patients from the system that are already populated with your bariatric program logo, the Event Description, Learning Objectives, Date, Time, Location and Presenter. You can also have confidence in the content that is provided by our recognized contributor board that provide events in different categories such as Behavioral, Nutrition, Culinary, Nursing, Fitness and more. Even a planning schedule is included for you with each event so you know what to bring! You can literally sit down and plan an entire year of support group in less than a half hour and have it posted to your calendar. BariMD has committed a great deal of development to this resource because we understand how important it is for your program to provide support. We also understand how challenging it can be to keep support group engaging and educational. We know your program is committed to providing support to enhance long term patient success and outcomes. Let BariMD support you to make Support Groups a winning part of your program. If you have any questions, please contact BariMD Customer Support at 877.855.9988 or contact me directly. Sincerely,Debbie Debbie Daley, RD LDNBariMD151 north nob hill road, suite 185plantation, florida 33324954.628.3563 I talk (direct line)877.855.9988 I talk (corporate office)954.919.9777 I sendwww.barimd.com

Hi Debbie,

We would like to set up an appointment with you this week if you are available. The best time to get everyone in the same room would be in the afternoon on

Friday. Do you have any available time around 1:30 or 2pm to demo the bariatric support group assistant?

Thank you,

Abby

On Behalf Of Debbie Daley

Sent: Friday, October 21, 2011 10:18 AM

Subject: Re: Support Group Ideas

Creating informative and engaging Support Group Topics can be a challenge. If you are the professional responsible for support group, then you know that even when you have a topic

in mind, you first have to plan the lesson, develop an associated handout, promote it to patients and so on.

BariMD is pleased to announce a new resource for bariatric programs called Support Group Assistant. It is a turn-key web based solution to provide you with a Leader Guide for each

topic in our ever growing collection with an associated Practice Branded Patient Handout, Sign in Sheet, Evaluation as well as a web calendar to feature your selected events with links that patients can ‘Save to My Calendar’ and ‘Send to a Friend’. The resource

is very efficient and effective, even giving you the ability to auto-send announcement & reminder emails to your patients from the system that are already populated with your bariatric program logo, the Event Description, Learning Objectives, Date, Time, Location

and Presenter. You can also have confidence in the content that is provided by our recognized contributor board that provide events in different categories such as Behavioral, Nutrition, Culinary, Nursing, Fitness and more. Even a planning schedule is included

for you with each event so you know what to bring! You can literally sit down and plan an entire year of support group in less than a half hour and have it posted to your calendar.

BariMD has committed a great deal of development to this resource because we understand how important it is for your program to provide support. We also understand how challenging

it can be to keep support group engaging and educational. We know your program is committed to providing support to enhance long term patient success and outcomes. Let BariMD support you to make Support Groups a winning part of your program.

If you have any questions, please contact BariMD Customer Support at 877.855.9988 or contact me directly.

Sincerely,

Debbie

Debbie Daley, RD LDN

BariMD

151 north nob hill road, suite 185

plantation, florida 33324

954.628.3563 I talk (direct line)

877.855.9988 I talk (corporate office)

954.919.9777 I send

www.barimd.com