RemedySpot.com

Re: OT - Croup - Help!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Marci,

Oh boy- are you awake out there? So sorry to hear that little has croup! had RSV- which is also a respitory virus, and can lead to croup- but it seems virtually the same to me!! He was in the hospital for 5 days with the nebulizer and the meds for it- which we had to continue at home for a few days. I will attach a link that explains croup pretty well, and the treatment for it. It was soooo scary with at 8 months- but he was also vomiting and had diarhhea. I had to rush him to the ER at 6 am on a Sunday morning- and they did chest x-rays which showed the virus. They put him inside of a small plastic tent in his crib at the hospital- to increase the humidity in the air which is supposed to help open the airway and thin out the secretions blocking it (he had a crackling or wheezing sound in his chest- not the croup cough- though he would cough so hard he could not breath! That is scary!) I would change sheets, sterilize to the max- its airborne as I understand it (there is actually an industrial spray that fights RSV and even AIDS- I got it at work, maybe they have something like this at Home Depot or a medicine shoppe?).

His heartbeat also raced a mile a minute, and I was told that fever and rapid breathing will make the heart work harder. Keep an eye on it and if you have any concerns, don't hesistate to rush to the ER or bug your ped at all hours!!

Poor little lady, I hope she's feeling better soon! And I hope you and Lance can get some shut eye one day this week! He seemed to do really well with the nebulizer and the medicine (ephedrine or something like that)- and I think he was on that like every 3 or 4 hours for about 7 days. I know one of the girls at daycare had the croup- I heard the barking seal cough and was scared he was going to pick it up again! (he didn't- don't ask me why she was even there! They assured me she was ok!) Let us know how she (and you!) are doing when you can! Hugs to you all and baby kisses from !

' Mom

Croup

Guest guest

Marci,

I should not have opened my mouth about croup and rsv being the same! I hope

I didn't alarm you cuz wow- big difference as far as concern goes. RSV can

even be fatal at times, I don't think croup can get that bad. I can

certainly relate to a lot of those symptoms though- but it sounds as if croup

is much easier to get over than RSV. I hope you all get some rest and she

recovers quickly!!! Keep us posted!

' Mom

Guest guest

My 17 year old had what I would call chronic croup when he was a baby... He is now 17 and now driving (ahhhhhhhhhhh) - and has not had any kind of resultant issues because of the croup. It is sooooo scary that terrible cough can really be disturbing. When was over tired, he would get the croup - so you can imagine how often I was awake with him in the middle of the night. I used to take him and have him sit on my lap in the bathroom (door shut) and run the hot water in the shower and let the room fill with steam (old time practice, but worked well), sit there with him as long as possible and the croup would subside and the heat would tire him out too. The only thing with this is you'll both be a bit moist when done, and it will be chilly coming out of the bathroom. He detested the sound of the humidifier, it actually scared him, so sitting in the bathroom was my only option. I think the warmth of the steam room actually may have also relaxed him enough to fall asleep.

Good luck, don't worry will be just fine. Marie

marcisch@... wrote: Hey guys, has croup. Last night I was freaking out because it seemed as if the poor baby could not get a deep breath or any kind of breath for that matter. She has a cough like a barking seal and curretly has virtually no voice. I kept thinking last night - I need to take her to the ER, but I resisted because I didn't want to be a paranoid mom. I took her to the ped this am and they diagnosed croup. She had a breathing treatment there in the office and did GREAT with it! Ped gave her an oral steroid and told us to keep the humidifier going 24 hours a day. Question - Anyone else have a baby who has had croup? Quite frankly the Fact Sheet they gave me about it scared the heck out of me. How serious is it? Ped said if it got bad in the night (which apparently is when it gets the worst) I should go to the ER right away. Anyone ever taken their baby to the ER with croup? I hope this all makes sense - I am operating on ZERO sleep. Help!You guys are the best!Marci (Mom to croupy )OklahomaFor more plagio info

Guest guest

Thank you Marie - I appreciate your advice and will give the steamy bathroom

thing a try. We found a " Whisper Quiet " Humidifier at WalMart yesterday and used

that and it really was quiet. The one we had before sounded like a chainsaw!!

Glad to hear that your " baby " (LOL) got through it just fine!

Marci (Mom to )

Oklahoma

Guest guest

Thanks for the link - it was great! Apparently 's class has been passing

this around - ah, the joys of daycare. This afternoon she is with my mom and mom

is going to keep her all day tomorrow also. Ped says (actually the Nurse

Practicioner at the ped's office named Glen who is a total BABE!!!!) that she

should feel better in 24 to 48 hours. I'm keeping my fingers crossed - I really

don't want to do an ER thing, but will if I have to.

Thanks again!

Marci

Guest guest

actually the Nurse

Practicioner at the ped's office named Glen who is a total BABE!!!!)

Oooohhhh, glad to read of Marci's eye candy for once ;) hehe

Debbie Abby'smom

MI

Guest guest

Marci,

Hugs to you and ....the croup sucks....Drake had it something fierce....it did scare me....I was constantly in the bath w/him trying to get his fever to go down and in there with the shower going to just open him up....But it sounds like your ped is more in tune than mine...mine didnt offer any help except basically "deal w/it" it sounds worse than it is....needless to say I changed Peds...She was such a twit....so I can not offer any help all I can offer is my get well vibes and prayers....Hugs to you and ....I'm sending her some cyber home made chicken noodle soup and apple juice....Trisha

marcisch@... wrote: Hey guys, has croup. Last night I was freaking out because it seemed as if the poor baby could not get a deep breath or any kind of breath for that matter. She has a cough like a barking seal and curretly has virtually no voice. I kept thinking last night - I need to take her to the ER, but I resisted because I didn't want to be a paranoid mom. I took her to the ped this am and they diagnosed croup. She had a breathing treatment there in the office and did GREAT with it! Ped gave her an oral steroid and told us to keep the humidifier going 24 hours a day. Question - Anyone else have a baby who has had croup? Quite frankly the Fact Sheet they gave me about it scared the heck out of me. How serious is it? Ped said if it got bad in the night (which apparently is when it gets the worst) I should go to the ER right away. Anyone ever taken their baby to the ER with croup? I hope this all makes sense - I am operating on ZERO sleep. Help!You guys are the best!Marci (Mom to croupy )OklahomaFor more plagio info