RemedySpot.com

Re: Yet another Dean's Nut Butter Question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello Marnie,Was it crumbly going into the fridge? Mine is always very runny??? What is the temperature of your house is it cold?Hmmmm, this is strange.

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Jan 2, 2012, at 11:20 AM, Marnie wrote:

So I made 2 batches of the nut butter using a combo of honey roasted peanuts (2 cups) with M & M's and choc. chips (1 cup each). It tastes great, I stored it in the fridge in a mason jar, and then left it out to soften but even after several days on the kitchen counter it is still rather hard/crumbly. I had thought it would get oily/soft? Just curious if this is normal, thanks!

Marnie

It was soft but thick. Temp in house is about 68 to 74. Maybe the nuts I used

were not oily enough? Good to know this is not normal, will try again with

different nuts just to see.

>

> So I made 2 batches of the nut butter using a combo of honey roasted peanuts

(2 cups) with M & M's and choc. chips (1 cup each). It tastes great, I stored it

in the fridge in a mason jar, and then left it out to soften but even after

several days on the kitchen counter it is still rather hard/crumbly. I had

thought it would get oily/soft? Just curious if this is normal, thanks!

>

> Marnie

>

Honey Roasted Peanuts usually have plenty of oil. When you make your next batch, after you don't see any more crumbs or nut powder, see if you can use your tamper straight down the middle of the container to plug up the air hole and get that low, growling sound. Let it run like this for about 15 seconds and that will help release as much oil from the nuts as possible. This should only be done with the machine on high and not for too long because plugging the air bubble increases the load on the motor :-)I hope that my suspicion that your batch didn't get quite blended enough is correct, and that your next batch will turn out smooth and creamy!

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Jan 2, 2012, at 12:22 PM, Marnie wrote:

It was soft but thick. Temp in house is about 68 to 74. Maybe the nuts I used were not oily enough? Good to know this is not normal, will try again with different nuts just to see.

>

> So I made 2 batches of the nut butter using a combo of honey roasted peanuts (2 cups) with M & M's and choc. chips (1 cup each). It tastes great, I stored it in the fridge in a mason jar, and then left it out to soften but even after several days on the kitchen counter it is still rather hard/crumbly. I had thought it would get oily/soft? Just curious if this is normal, thanks!

>

> Marnie

>

That sounds right - I probably didn't blend enough (first batch was a bit

smoother so that's probably it). I will try that time, thanks Lea Ann!

> >

> > So I made 2 batches of the nut butter using a combo of honey roasted peanuts

(2 cups) with M & M's and choc. chips (1 cup each). It tastes great, I stored it

> >

> > Marnie

> >

>

I was at a local health store today and they have a peanut butter machine. All you have to do is put the container under the machine and turn it on then turn it off when filled for a price of $2.99 per pound. The peanuts are salt free. Is making peanut butter worth the cost in the Vitamix? Does the dry container work better or worse for peanut butter? Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Lea Ann SavageSent: Monday, January 02, 2012 12:34 PM Subject: Re: Re: Yet another Dean's Nut Butter Question Honey Roasted Peanuts usually have plenty of oil. When you make your next batch, after you don't see any more crumbs or nut powder, see if you can use your tamper straight down the middle of the container to plug up the air hole and get that low, growling sound. Let it run like this for about 15 seconds and that will help release as much oil from the nuts as possible. This should only be done with the machine on high and not for too long because plugging the air bubble increases the load on the motor :-) I hope that my suspicion that your batch didn't get quite blended enough is correct, and that your next batch will turn out smooth and creamy! Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))>< On Jan 2, 2012, at 12:22 PM, Marnie wrote: It was soft but thick. Temp in house is about 68 to 74. Maybe the nuts I used were not oily enough? Good to know this is not normal, will try again with different nuts just to see.> > So I made 2 batches of the nut butter using a combo of honey roasted peanuts (2 cups) with M & M's and choc. chips (1 cup each). It tastes great, I stored it in the fridge in a mason jar, and then left it out to soften but even after several days on the kitchen counter it is still rather hard/crumbly. I had thought it would get oily/soft? Just curious if this is normal, thanks!> > Marnie>

Lea Ann,With all the great interest in Dean's Nut Butter I just remembered that a friend of mine's daughter-in-law opened a store in Grand Saline, Texas (population 2,500) where they manufacture and sell Peanut Butter. They have some items that closely resemble Dean's. My sister-in-law who lives there sent us a jar of their Honey Roasted Crunch. Delicious!!http://www.nuttyspeanutbutter.com/index.htmThought you might want to check it out.Bro & Billie

Hello Tom,The cost of the nuts you use at home would be the determining factor - I've never run the numbers to see how home made compares to store bought. I just like the fact that it is made fresh when I make my own :-) The quality of the nut butter will depend on how fresh those nuts are. I can taste stale nuts and the nut butter from stale nuts has the same "off" flavor (to me). The dry container makes flours, and has a different blade design. It would make a nut flour, but not a nut butter… Check out the "Dry Container vs. the Wet Container" link here:/links for a detailed explanation of the differences between how the dry and the wet blades work.

On Jan 2, 2012, at 2:58 PM, Tom Matuschak wrote:

I was at a local health store today and they have a peanut butter machine. All you have to do is put the container under the machine and turn it on then turn it off when filled for a price of $2.99 per pound. The peanuts are salt free. Is making peanut butter worth the cost in the Vitamix? Does the dry container work better or worse for peanut butter? Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Lea Ann SavageSent: Monday, January 02, 2012 12:34 PM Subject: Re: Re: Yet another Dean's Nut Butter Question Honey Roasted Peanuts usually have plenty of oil. When you make your next batch, after you don't see any more crumbs or nut powder, see if you can use your tamper straight down the middle of the container to plug up the air hole and get that low, growling sound. Let it run like this for about 15 seconds and that will help release as much oil from the nuts as possible. This should only be done with the machine on high and not for too long because plugging the air bubble increases the load on the motor :-) I hope that my suspicion that your batch didn't get quite blended enough is correct, and that your next batch will turn out smooth and creamy! Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))>< On Jan 2, 2012, at 12:22 PM, Marnie wrote: It was soft but thick. Temp in house is about 68 to 74. Maybe the nuts I used were not oily enough? Good to know this is not normal, will try again with different nuts just to see.> > So I made 2 batches of the nut butter using a combo of honey roasted peanuts (2 cups) with M & M's and choc. chips (1 cup each). It tastes great, I stored it in the fridge in a mason jar, and then left it out to soften but even after several days on the kitchen counter it is still rather hard/crumbly. I had thought it would get oily/soft? Just curious if this is normal, thanks!> > Marnie>

The nuts I was using were fresh as far as I could tell. You could actually see them in the machine and the peanut butter were warm drawn but for $2.99 a pound I think it is worth using their machine since the store is in my neighborhood. Do you refrigerate your peanut butter? Thanks for the link. I should be getting the dry container sometime this week or early next week. Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Lea Ann SavageSent: Monday, January 02, 2012 4:18 PM Subject: Re: Re: Yet another Dean's Nut Butter Question Hello Tom, The cost of the nuts you use at home would be the determining factor - I've never run the numbers to see how home made compares to store bought. I just like the fact that it is made fresh when I make my own :-) The quality of the nut butter will depend on how fresh those nuts are. I can taste stale nuts and the nut butter from stale nuts has the same " off " flavor (to me). The dry container makes flours, and has a different blade design. It would make a nut flour, but not a nut butter… Check out the " Dry Container vs. the Wet Container " link here:/links for a detailed explanation of the differences between how the dry and the wet blades work. Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))>< On Jan 2, 2012, at 2:58 PM, Tom Matuschak wrote: I was at a local health store today and they have a peanut butter machine. All you have to do is put the container under the machine and turn it on then turn it off when filled for a price of $2.99 per pound. The peanuts are salt free. Is making peanut butter worth the cost in the Vitamix? Does the dry container work better or worse for peanut butter? Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Lea Ann SavageSent: Monday, January 02, 2012 12:34 PM Subject: Re: Re: Yet another Dean's Nut Butter Question Honey Roasted Peanuts usually have plenty of oil. When you make your next batch, after you don't see any more crumbs or nut powder, see if you can use your tamper straight down the middle of the container to plug up the air hole and get that low, growling sound. Let it run like this for about 15 seconds and that will help release as much oil from the nuts as possible. This should only be done with the machine on high and not for too long because plugging the air bubble increases the load on the motor :-) I hope that my suspicion that your batch didn't get quite blended enough is correct, and that your next batch will turn out smooth and creamy! Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))>< On Jan 2, 2012, at 12:22 PM, Marnie wrote: It was soft but thick. Temp in house is about 68 to 74. Maybe the nuts I used were not oily enough? Good to know this is not normal, will try again with different nuts just to see.> > So I made 2 batches of the nut butter using a combo of honey roasted peanuts (2 cups) with M & M's and choc. chips (1 cup each). It tastes great, I stored it in the fridge in a mason jar, and then left it out to soften but even after several days on the kitchen counter it is still rather hard/crumbly. I had thought it would get oily/soft? Just curious if this is normal, thanks!> > Marnie>

I am trying my hand at this right now.  I am using my GreenStar juicer.  The nut butter comes out soft but crumbly.  When I put it in the jars and push it down it looks ok.  Does this sound right?  I had thought it would be softer but maybe with the juicer it just doesn't get warm enough for that.

RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God.

Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God.

Every moment, thank God.

I make mine in a Champion. I don't know how the Champion compares to a Green Star mechanically. Mine comes out runny and drips into the jelly jars… I guess that the Green Star turns at lower RPMs and the final product comes out cooler?

On Jan 2, 2012, at 6:31 PM, Rena Glubay wrote:

I am trying my hand at this right now. I am using my GreenStar juicer. The nut butter comes out soft but crumbly. When I put it in the jars and push it down it looks ok. Does this sound right? I had thought it would be softer but maybe with the juicer it just doesn't get warm enough for that.

Every moment, thank God.

I did notice that as I continued making the butter that it became softer.  I am guessing that it took a little while for the gears warm up.  It was never runny though.

I guess I am weird but I didn't care for it all that much.  I think it is the crunchy of the m & m shells.  I will probably try it again with semi-sweet choc chips and maybe peanuts and not the mixed nuts.

Every moment, thank God.

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

I make mine in a Champion.  I don't know how the Champion compares to a Green Star mechanically.  Mine comes out runny and drips into the jelly jars…  I guess that the Green Star turns at lower RPMs and the final product comes out cooler?

Blessings,Lea Ann Savage

Satellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)www.VitamixLady.com

))><'>www..com<:)))><

On Jan 2, 2012, at 6:31 PM, Rena Glubay wrote:

I am trying my hand at this right now.  I am using my GreenStar juicer.  The nut butter comes out soft but crumbly.  When I put it in the jars and push it down it looks ok.  Does this sound right?  I had thought it would be softer but maybe with the juicer it just doesn't get warm enough for that.

Every moment, thank God.

The batch I made with butter toffee peanuts and white chocolate chips was warm

and soft right out of the vitamix, but then it also got hard and crumbly when it

cooled. We figured the chips just rehardened as it cooled. Threw it in the

microwave for 45 seconds and it was back to being soft and creamy again!

>

> So I made 2 batches of the nut butter using a combo of honey roasted peanuts

>

> Marnie

>