RemedySpot.com

Re: Collards~what to do??

Rate this topic

Guest guest

WOW! 10 Bunches!You "Could" use them the way I've been doing greens lately. You could buzz up some fruits in the Vitamix (retaining the fiber) then Juice the Collard Greens using this method:

and add the Green Juice to your fruit base. It turns out like a Green Smoothie On STEROIDS! My tastes have evolved so that I can consume large amounts of Green Juices, but in the beginning, I had to add Stevia in order to make it more palatable.Unless you are used to the bitterness of greens (and I find Collards to be more bitter than Kale) I recommend de-steming the collards using this method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPGWMbdKtoIThe produce I am currently using in the Fiber-filled portion of my "Monster Greens Smoothie" is 1/2 of an apple, 1/2 of a lime peeled (or lemon if I can't get a lime), ginger, one clove of garlic, and a carrot (carrot as a juice has too much sugar for me). In the Greens half, I have been using one cucumber (to add liquid) and a full POUND of greens! I put in a couple of hands full, then use variable 6-8 or so and the tamper to get it all down into a pile of mush, then I add a few more hands full, and I keep this up until all of the greens are mush. I can even squeeze a full pound of greens into a 32 oz. container doing it this way, and if you don't try to mix up the whole kit and kaboodle at once, it all blends much easier. When you load the container with greens, the greens pack down too much forming a barrier, and you have to pound the heck out of them to get them to end up as a green mushy mass. After I strain the fiber out of the greens with a nut milk bag (like in the video above) I pour the green juice into the fiber full portion and enjoy! (Remember, in the beginning, I used Stevia to help this taste better - AND if sugar isn't an issue, you could add really sweet fruits to your fiber-full portion like bananas, grapes, pineapple, etc.!)And I LOVE Collard Soup (and I make it all of the time). It is the first thing I thought of when I saw that you have 10 bunches of Collards!!! If you go to our Links page: /links and click on the folder titled RECIPES, you will find a link called, "Lea Ann's Green Soups". Collards is one of the Greens I use! I didn't mention it in that post, but tossing in a hand full of Cashews makes the soup creamy! :-) Of course you COULD just make a LOT of Collard Green Smoothies!!!Hope this helps!

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Jan 7, 2012, at 5:52 PM, verriakelly wrote:

I just received my first delivery of local fruits and veggies. I ordered one juice box and it came with carrots, collards, cucumber, celery, parsley, beets, apples and lemons. Sounds good, but they gave me about 10 bunches of collards! I've put collards in my smoothies at times, but not to the extent that I know what to do with 10 bunches. Anybody have any suggestions for smoothies and soup recipes using collards? Any help would be appreciated as I've vowed to eat every veggie delivered!

Thanks!

Verria

I love collard wraps. You just take a collard leaf and remove the spine. Then fill it like a burrito with all your favorite veggies or whatever. I fill mine with quinoa, pesto, homemade sauerkraut, tomato, cucumber…whatever. Then roll it up like a cigar while sticking in the side edges to prevent spillage. Walahhh. A bread free wrap! In His Grace….Robbie From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of verriakellySent: Saturday, January 07, 2012 4:53 PM Subject: Collards~what to do?? I just received my first delivery of local fruits and veggies. I ordered one juice box and it came with carrots, collards, cucumber, celery, parsley, beets, apples and lemons. Sounds good, but they gave me about 10 bunches of collards! I've put collards in my smoothies at times, but not to the extent that I know what to do with 10 bunches. Anybody have any suggestions for smoothies and soup recipes using collards? Any help would be appreciated as I've vowed to eat every veggie delivered!Thanks!Verria

ok, this isn't healthy but this is how I ate Collards as a kid in Tennessee. We had an outhouse and well in the back yard, running water was meaning one of the kids ran to the well and drew it up, running back to the house with a bucket of water. We would fry the collards in bacon grease, add the crisp bacon, some sugar and vinegar and serve with a sliced hard boiled egg. It was sooooo good. We'd fry up a 'mess' of greens. Biscuits on the side, maybe some fried ham, but the greens were the best. We'd use all types of greens and fry them, really, anything cooked in bacon grease is good!!

We lived on a dirt road, the greens would grow along the road or along railroad tracks. We'd go out with pillow cases and fill them up to bring home to eat. Along the tracks we'd find loads of sponge mushrooms, oh boy that was a treat fried up.

I still do it now and then for my friends who never heard of greens, collards, turnip tops, etc.

Of course now I juice them and love them. The dark greens I know are good for me. Love to find them in the wild again, now in the Arizona desert they are bought in the store.

Collards fried in bacon grease sounds really good, but I haven't eat fried foods for years and I gave up meat long ago. Hmmm, wonder if anyone has come up with a meatless, fryless version of this recipe......LOL!

I've never bought collards, but here is what I do when my spinach is starting to

get too old and wilty.

Throw it in the vitamix and puree it. I then cover my mini muffin pan with

plastic wrap. I fill each little hole with the spinach making sure the plastic

wrap sinks down into the hole.

Pop the muffin pan into the freezer for several hours. Once frozen, I peel them

off the plastic wrap and throw them in a ziplock bag and they go back into the

freezer. That way I can throw a little bit of spinach into anything and I don't

end up with any wasted spinach.

BTW - my mini muffin pan is nonstick coated and I tried putting the spinach

directly into it without the plastic wrap and it was difficult to get it out.

:)

I often fry in peanut oil, which people often think tastes " meaty " , but that is

still frying. I also often cook in a frying pan with a bit (1/4 " ) of broth in

the pan. Mushroom broth, or vegetable broth. Can add soy sauce, Parmesan cheese,

(or anchovies if you eat fish) for saltiness. It comes out tasting more like

fried than steamed ....

>

> Collards fried in bacon grease sounds really good, but I haven't eat fried

> foods for years and I gave up meat long ago. Hmmm, wonder if anyone has

> come up with a meatless, fryless version of this recipe......LOL!

>

I did the same thing last summer with cactus fruit, I see it advertised so expensively on tv, I juiced a huge box full in my MV then strained it, froze in ice cube trays then popped into a zip lock bag to add to my smoothies.

HI. If you get sunset magazine, there are several great/fairly healthy recipes

in this month's issue like risotto, couscous, and saute for strong greens like

collards.

We also make Collard chips by roasting the whole leaf, tossed in olive oil and

salt and then popped in the oven at high temp til crispy. My kids could probably

eat the whole 10 bunches in one sitting that way..

I also toss the chopped leaves toward the end of cooking and smaller chopped

stems (need more cooking) into soups or stews . You can use them with any soup

but I think they go particularly well with lentil stew...

HOpe that helps.

Beth

>

> I just received my first delivery of local fruits and veggies. I ordered one

juice box and it came with carrots, collards, cucumber, celery, parsley, beets,

apples and lemons. Sounds good, but they gave me about 10 bunches of collards!

I've put collards in my smoothies at times, but not to the extent that I know

what to do with 10 bunches. Anybody have any suggestions for smoothies and soup

recipes using collards? Any help would be appreciated as I've vowed to eat

every veggie delivered!

>

> Thanks!

> Verria

>

You can always juice the collards the “vitamix” way and then put the juice in ice cube trays and add a cube or 2 to your smoothies. Bonnie www.bonniesherbals.com“creating radiance with herbs and water” http://www.facebook.com/RadiantHealthforLifehttp://www.twitter.com/_RadiantHealthhttp://www.linkedin.com/in/bonnierogersComing soon: we are rebranding, our new name will be www.RadiantHealthforLife.com.com From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Lea Ann SavageSent: Saturday, January 07, 2012 6:48 PM Subject: Re: Collards~what to do?? WOW! 10 Bunches! You " Could " use them the way I've been doing greens lately. You could buzz up some fruits in the Vitamix (retaining the fiber) then Juice the Collard Greens using this method:

and add the Green Juice to your fruit base. It turns out like a Green Smoothie On STEROIDS! My tastes have evolved so that I can consume large amounts of Green Juices, but in the beginning, I had to add Stevia in order to make it more palatable. Unless you are used to the bitterness of greens (and I find Collards to be more bitter than Kale) I recommend de-steming the collards using this method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPGWMbdKtoI The produce I am currently using in the Fiber-filled portion of my " Monster Greens Smoothie " is 1/2 of an apple, 1/2 of a lime peeled (or lemon if I can't get a lime), ginger, one clove of garlic, and a carrot (carrot as a juice has too much sugar for me). In the Greens half, I have been using one cucumber (to add liquid) and a full POUND of greens! I put in a couple of hands full, then use variable 6-8 or so and the tamper to get it all down into a pile of mush, then I add a few more hands full, and I keep this up until all of the greens are mush. I can even squeeze a full pound of greens into a 32 oz. container doing it this way, and if you don't try to mix up the whole kit and kaboodle at once, it all blends much easier. When you load the container with greens, the greens pack down too much forming a barrier, and you have to pound the heck out of them to get them to end up as a green mushy mass. After I strain the fiber out of the greens with a nut milk bag (like in the video above) I pour the green juice into the fiber full portion and enjoy! (Remember, in the beginning, I used Stevia to help this taste better - AND if sugar isn't an issue, you could add really sweet fruits to your fiber-full portion like bananas, grapes, pineapple, etc.!) And I LOVE Collard Soup (and I make it all of the time). It is the first thing I thought of when I saw that you have 10 bunches of Collards!!! If you go to our Links page: /links and click on the folder titled RECIPES, you will find a link called, " Lea Ann's Green Soups " . Collards is one of the Greens I use! I didn't mention it in that post, but tossing in a hand full of Cashews makes the soup creamy! :-) Of course you COULD just make a LOT of Collard Green Smoothies!!! Hope this helps! Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))>< On Jan 7, 2012, at 5:52 PM, verriakelly wrote: I just received my first delivery of local fruits and veggies. I ordered one juice box and it came with carrots, collards, cucumber, celery, parsley, beets, apples and lemons. Sounds good, but they gave me about 10 bunches of collards! I've put collards in my smoothies at times, but not to the extent that I know what to do with 10 bunches. Anybody have any suggestions for smoothies and soup recipes using collards? Any help would be appreciated as I've vowed to eat every veggie delivered!Thanks!Verria