RemedySpot.com

Re: nylon nutmilk bags

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This has been brought up before...PLEASE do NOT use paint strainer bags. They

are not food grade, and have been stored around all sorts of toxic chemicals,

likely treated wtih them in the first place, and would not be safe for food use,

even if well washed.

>

> Just looked at the link for the nylon nut milk bags. They are identical to

the paintstrainer bags you find at homedepot. They are cheaper at the homedepot

or lowes. I clean my bags with soap and water before I use them. If anyone has

tried both bags I like to know if there was any difference.

>

I think the milk nut bag I bought is finer, but again, I would prefer not to use something that's been hanging around paint chemicals. Just my thoughts, for really not that much difference in price per use.Ginny From: rozr999 <zahrabandele@...> Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:47 PM Subject: nylon nutmilk bags

Just looked at the link for the nylon nut milk bags. They are identical to the paintstrainer bags you find at homedepot. They are cheaper at the homedepot or lowes. I clean my bags with soap and water before I use them. If anyone has tried both bags I like to know if there was any difference.

I make my own bags, using unbleached cotton muslin, they work great. I also buy

" jelly " bags at my local hardware store-just a couple of bucks for a pack of

three, sold where canning supplies are. They are meant to strain fruit jelly.

I also have a rack that holds the bags-very handy indeed!

> >

> > Just looked at the link for the nylon nut milk bags. They are identical to

> >

>

My guess is that there are chemicals in the home depot ones and do you want to take a chance? Bonnie www.bonniesherbals.com“creating radiance with herbs and water” http://www.facebook.com/RadiantHealthforLifehttp://www.twitter.com/_RadiantHealthhttp://www.linkedin.com/in/bonnierogersComing soon: we are rebranding, our new name will be www.RadiantHealthforLife.com.com From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of rozr999Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:48 PM Subject: nylon nutmilk bags Just looked at the link for the nylon nut milk bags. They are identical to the paintstrainer bags you find at homedepot. They are cheaper at the homedepot or lowes. I clean my bags with soap and water before I use them. If anyone has tried both bags I like to know if there was any difference.

what about panty hose?

I'm using cheese cloth and it seems to work well, two layers of it.

Yeah, the pain strainer thing kind of scares me. It could be food grade but I doubt it very much and am not going to risk it for a few bucks

I have to admit that I have my suspicions that the nut milk bags sold on the EBay link are paint strainer bags. I just sent the seller a question to verify that they are not paint strainer bags. If they are, I wouldn't expect that she will say so though :-( - what chemicals might be in these bags, and don't you think they could be significantly washed/cleaned out before use?

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Jan 11, 2012, at 9:47 PM, rozr999 wrote:

Just looked at the link for the nylon nut milk bags. They are identical to the paintstrainer bags you find at homedepot. They are cheaper at the homedepot or lowes. I clean my bags with soap and water before I use them. If anyone has tried both bags I like to know if there was any difference.

I sure hope they are not, mine just arrived yesterday. I had wondered the same thing though after ordering and reading this thread. Please let us know what she says.

From: lsavage@...Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 07:35:29 -0500Subject: Re: nylon nutmilk bags

I have to admit that I have my suspicions that the nut milk bags sold on the EBay link are paint strainer bags. I just sent the seller a question to verify that they are not paint strainer bags. If they are, I wouldn't expect that she will say so though :-(

- what chemicals might be in these bags, and don't you think they could be significantly washed/cleaned out before use?

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

I don't think we DO know for sure-yet another reason I made my own ones and

purchased some of the jelly bags at my local hardware store. With ebay, you

would have no way of knowing what you are getting, how it was stored, or if

kitty cats have been wandering around on them, lol.

> >

> > Just looked at the link for the nylon nut milk bags. They are identical to

> >

>

I think it would boil down to your personal discretion, but it is worth noting that the FABRIC used to make something like a paint strainer bag is HIGHLY likely to have been treated with some type of coating, flame retardant, etc. before ever even being exposed to the chemicals in storage or the store. Being as chemically sensitive as I am, I have learned the hard way over the years where and when to cut costs, but I don't where my food is concerned. I think as long as you know the potential dangers, you can make your own choices. The people making the recommendations are likely passing on the money saving tip they have learned along the way, without realizing there is a potential problem. Remember-TEFLON was touted as perfectly safe for years in cookware, and is still being sold widely...but now with a warning label that cooking with teflon may kill your pet birds from the gasses it emits (it killed my lovely parakeet Amelia years back)...we just never know.Sent from my iPadOn Jan 12, 2012, at 8:23 AM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

I don't know if this discussion will ease your mind, but the lady raw food coach on this thread has used and recommended the paint strainer bags for years (and this isn't the only person who's been doing this that I've found in my online research)http://www.rawfreedomcommunity.info/forum/showthread.php?t=7969Still researching…

On Jan 12, 2012, at 7:53 AM, Navarro wrote:

I sure hope they are not, mine just arrived yesterday. I had wondered the same thing though after ordering and reading this thread. Please let us know what she says.

From: lsavage@...Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 07:35:29 -0500Subject: Re: nylon nutmilk bags

I have to admit that I have my suspicions that the nut milk bags sold on the EBay link are paint strainer bags. I just sent the seller a question to verify that they are not paint strainer bags. If they are, I wouldn't expect that she will say so though :-(

- what chemicals might be in these bags, and don't you think they could be significantly washed/cleaned out before use?

Can you do the nut milk in a juicer? I have a Jack Lalaine juicer. I also don't like the idea of juice all over my hands.

Lucille

Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2012 8:23 AM

Subject: Re: nylon nutmilk bags

I don't know if this discussion will ease your mind, but the lady raw food coach on this thread has used and recommended the paint strainer bags for years (and this isn't the only person who's been doing this that I've found in my online research) http://www.rawfreedomcommunity.info/forum/showthread.php?t=7969

Still researching…

I can't answer the question about Jack Lalaine juicer but you can strain nut milk with an extra fine strainer. Just push it through with a spatula. Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of LucilleSent: Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:40 AM Subject: Re: nylon nutmilk bags Can you do the nut milk in a juicer? I have a Jack Lalaine juicer. I also don't like the idea of juice all over my hands. Lucille From: Lea Ann Savage Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2012 8:23 AM Subject: Re: nylon nutmilk bags I don't know if this discussion will ease your mind, but the lady raw food coach on this thread has used and recommended the paint strainer bags for years (and this isn't the only person who's been doing this that I've found in my online research) http://www.rawfreedomcommunity.info/forum/showthread.php?t=7969 Still researching… Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))>< On Jan 12, 2012, at 7:53 AM, Navarro wrote: I sure hope they are not, mine just arrived yesterday. I had wondered the same thing though after ordering and reading this thread. Please let us know what she says.

OK thanks Tom.

Lucille

Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2012 11:04 AM

Subject: RE: nylon nutmilk bags

I can't answer the question about Jack Lalaine juicer but you can strain nut milk with an extra fine strainer. Just push it through with a spatula.

Tom

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of LucilleSent: Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:40 AM Subject: Re: nylon nutmilk bags

Can you do the nut milk in a juicer? I have a Jack Lalaine juicer. I also don't like the idea of juice all over my hands.

Lucille

Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2012 8:23 AM

Subject: Re: nylon nutmilk bags

I don't know if this discussion will ease your mind, but the lady raw food coach on this thread has used and recommended the paint strainer bags for years (and this isn't the only person who's been doing this that I've found in my online research)

http://www.rawfreedomcommunity.info/forum/showthread.php?t=7969

Still researching…

That's why I started using 100% cotton bags, I was worried about how safe nylon was against my food.---------------------Rene Oswald, RN, APHBest Beginnings, Inc. Living Food Classes & Consultationswww.rawfoodrene.comwww.reneoswald.com561-775-4867

From: Bonnie <bonniesherbals@...> Sent: Thu, January 12, 2012 1:02:11 AMSubject: RE: nylon nutmilk bags

My guess is that there are chemicals in the home depot ones and do you want to take a chance?

Bonnie www.bonniesherbals.com

“creating radiance with herbs and waterâ€

http://www.facebook.com/RadiantHealthforLife

http://www.twitter.com/_RadiantHealth

http://www.linkedin.com/in/bonnierogers

Coming soon: we are rebranding, our new name will be www.RadiantHealthforLife.com.com

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of rozr999Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:48 PM Subject: nylon nutmilk bags