RemedySpot.com

Minor's base/was Penzey's vs blend it up

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Tom, I'm also a Minors fan. Same as you I have used both chicken and beef base. I love the seafood base and use it for wonderful stew I make. I couldn't do Thanksgiving without Minors Turkey Base.TerrySent from my iPadOn Jan 6, 2012, at 7:44 PM, "Tom Matuschak" <pmatus@...> wrote:

I had my quarterly post throat cancer checkup today at the Cleveland Clinic. That went well I am glad to say. When I go to Cleveland I like to stop at the West Side Market because it not only a great place to buy fruits and vegetables and ethnic foods from around the world it is also a great place to see. When I got there I looked across the street and low and behold there was a Penzeys Store so I thought I would go in and check it out. I shouldn't have though; I think I walked out with half the store. I did buy the Arizona Dreaming blend because it had no sodium. I also have a bottle of Blend It Up Southwest blend and I did a finger test of each. I find them both similar but the Arizona Dreaming had a little more bite to it but both are good. I have made the Tortilla Soup with the Blend It Up and I enjoyed it. I also got a bag of Penzeys Forward. It is a blend of mostly peppers and it smelled like it would be a great addition to beans. I also noticed Penzeys carries soup bases. I have been using Minor's Soup bases for years. As I understand Minor's soup bases are used in many restaurants and Minor's is located in Cleveland too. As it happens I was also going to pick up some Minor's this trip as well because I was almost out. The great thing about both bases the first ingredient is beef if buying beef stock or chicken if buying chicken stock and so on. No bouillon cubes can say the same that I know of. Minor's makes a low sodium version of most stocks and since my wife and I watch closely our sodium intake it is perfect. The sodium content of both beef and chicken base is 135mg per serving. The Penzeys beef base has 560mg and the chicken base has 610mg but that doesn't break the bank so I got both to compare with my beloved Minor's. Both have a long shelf life and I make enough sauces and soups I am sure I'll use them all. I also splurged a little and got a ham base at Penzeys too. It has 740mg per serving but I love bean soup and there is nothing better than a ham stock to cook the beans in. Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of ckarnes@...Sent: Friday, January 06, 2012 6:35 PM Subject: Re: Penzey's vs blend it up _Hi ,I use Penzey's Arizona Dreaming which is a SouthWest blend. Can't say how that compares to Blend it up, sorry. Lucky you to have a store near you. Enjoy and be sure to smell all those luscious samples! Be sure to sign up for their catalog. They often have coupons for freebies with your purchases, either online or in the store.Carol K__________________________________________________________I tried the southwest blend.Tony-----Original Message-----From: kristenshallcrossSent: Jan 5, 2012 1:27 PM Subject: Penzey's vs blend it up Hi,I remember about a year ago, someone raved about a penzey's spice store. I never heard of it and didn't save the post.....and what they had particularly liked from there.Well, low and behold, a penzey's just opened up in my town. I bought the blend it up kit at Costco last month and have not opened it yet. Is there anything at penzey's that would be similar? I am thinking I just need little jars rather than the big ones I purchased at Costco.Now that it is getting cold out, I am using my vitamix mostly for soups!Thanks,