RemedySpot.com

Raw Applesauce

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I borrowed Blentec's raw apples sauce recipe today and it was very good I

thought. Instead of the lemon juice as Vitamix recommends Blendtec adds

pineapple juice. They also put in 1 tsp of Fruit Fresh. The Fruit-Fresh keeps

the applesauce from turning brown. Blendtec also adds sugar but I omitted it.

The apples I used were sweet enough on their own.

In a lot ways this looked and tasted like applesauce in a jar. I did not notice

a pineapple taste either.

Tom

4 medium apples cored

1/4 cup pineapple juice

1 tsp Fruit-Fresh

1/4 tsp cinnamon

4 Tbs sugar

So do you just throw all this in the vitamix and grind it up. It sounds good.

> > From: pmatus@...> Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 16:16:19 +0000> Subject: Raw Applesauce> > I borrowed Blentec's raw apples sauce recipe today and it was very good I thought. Instead of the lemon juice as Vitamix recommends Blendtec adds pineapple juice. They also put in 1 tsp of Fruit Fresh. The Fruit-Fresh keeps the applesauce from turning brown. Blendtec also adds sugar but I omitted it. The apples I used were sweet enough on their own.> > In a lot ways this looked and tasted like applesauce in a jar. I did not notice a pineapple taste either.> > Tom> > 4 medium apples cored> 1/4 cup pineapple juice> 1 tsp Fruit-Fresh> 1/4 tsp cinnamon> 4 Tbs sugar

Yes all I did throw the ingredients in and followed Vitamix instructions for making raw applesauce on page 143 of Whole Foods cookbook. Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of NavarroSent: Saturday, January 14, 2012 1:17 AM Subject: RE: Raw Applesauce So do you just throw all this in the vitamix and grind it up. It sounds good. > > From: pmatus@...> Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 16:16:19 +0000> Subject: Raw Applesauce> > I borrowed Blentec's raw apples sauce recipe today and it was very good I thought. Instead of the lemon juice as Vitamix recommends Blendtec adds pineapple juice. They also put in 1 tsp of Fruit Fresh. The Fruit-Fresh keeps the applesauce from turning brown. Blendtec also adds sugar but I omitted it. The apples I used were sweet enough on their own.> > In a lot ways this looked and tasted like applesauce in a jar. I did not notice a pineapple taste either.> > Tom> > 4 medium apples cored> 1/4 cup pineapple juice> 1 tsp Fruit-Fresh> 1/4 tsp cinnamon> 4 Tbs sugar

I have a very good raw applesauce recipe on my VitamixLady website. The lemon is to keep the applesauce from turning brown (and you get a lot of Vitamin C from the juice, and bioflavanoids from the white pitch. The lemon also adds a nice balance to the sweet of the apples. The dates as a sweetener are entirely up to your taste. As Tom found out, many apples are sweet enough on their own. My applesauce retains the skins, so the final product turns out with flecks of pink! (I've never looked at the applesauce recipe in the cookbook :-)I've tossed cranberries into this on occasion (during cranberry season). If you like the taste of cranberries, it is a nice and different treat. You can add in a small amount of ANY fruit, and call it a ___________ and apple applesauce!

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Jan 14, 2012, at 1:16 AM, Navarro wrote:

So do you just throw all this in the vitamix and grind it up. It sounds good.

> > From: pmatus@...> Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 16:16:19 +0000> Subject: Raw Applesauce> > I borrowed Blentec's raw apples sauce recipe today and it was very good I thought. Instead of the lemon juice as Vitamix recommends Blendtec adds pineapple juice. They also put in 1 tsp of Fruit Fresh. The Fruit-Fresh keeps the applesauce from turning brown. Blendtec also adds sugar but I omitted it. The apples I used were sweet enough on their own.> > In a lot ways this looked and tasted like applesauce in a jar. I did not notice a pineapple taste either.> > Tom> > 4 medium apples cored> 1/4 cup pineapple juice> 1 tsp Fruit-Fresh> 1/4 tsp cinnamon> 4 Tbs sugar

Thanks Lee Ann. I have some apples here that need used up, I will check it out today.

From: lsavage@...Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 07:11:18 -0500Subject: Re: Raw Applesauce

I have a very good raw applesauce recipe on my VitamixLady website. The lemon is to keep the applesauce from turning brown (and you get a lot of Vitamin C from the juice, and bioflavanoids from the white pitch. The lemon also adds a nice balance to the sweet of the apples. The dates as a sweetener are entirely up to your taste. As Tom found out, many apples are sweet enough on their own. My applesauce retains the skins, so the final product turns out with flecks of pink! (I've never looked at the applesauce recipe in the cookbook :-)

I've tossed cranberries into this on occasion (during cranberry season). If you like the taste of cranberries, it is a nice and different treat. You can add in a small amount of ANY fruit, and call it a ___________ and apple applesauce!

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

Thanks Tom, I will try this as well. I have the grandkids coming over today and I feed them applesauce a lot.

From: pmatus@...Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 03:21:31 -0500Subject: RE: Raw Applesauce

Yes all I did throw the ingredients in and followed Vitamix instructions for making raw applesauce on page 143 of Whole Foods cookbook.

Tom

I made the Vitamix recipe and added the juice of a half a lemon and mine did turn brown. It still tasted fine but appearance is a big deal when getting my grandchildren to eat something. The taste to me with the pineapple juice made the applesauce more like what I find in a commercial applesauce but it was the Fruit Fresh that kept it the color in my mind that kept the color natural. I used Gala apples as I remember and I had flecks of red too but I think they will eat this version. I agree that the apples shouldn't need any extra sugar but that is how the recipe was written and I omitted it. The sugar in the pineapple juice was plenty extra. I may try the Vitamix recipe again but add the Fruit Fresh and see what happens. If you have some pineapple juice and Fruit Fresh you should give this version a try. Speaking of Vitamix recipes I was looking at soy milk recipes since it has been discussed a lot lately and in my 2004 recipe book I bought on eBay the recipe listed for soy milk is much different than the current one. On pg 75 in this book is a recipe for Soy Milk Vitamix suggests for after mixing on high for 2 minutes they want you to bring the mixture to a boil on medium high heat on the stove. They warn you to watch carefully for boil over's. After that the recipe asks you to strain the liquid and bring the strained liquid to a boil, " Bring strained liquid to a boil. Stir frequently to keep from scorching. Simmer over Low heat for 15 minutes. This procedure is necessary to deactivate an enzyme which makes protein indigestible. " In the current Whole Foods cookbook there is no mention of heating the soy milk liquid that you mixed for 1 1/2 minutes. I wonder what changed over the years. Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Lea Ann SavageSent: Saturday, January 14, 2012 7:11 AM Subject: Re: Raw Applesauce I have a very good raw applesauce recipe on my VitamixLady website. The lemon is to keep the applesauce from turning brown (and you get a lot of Vitamin C from the juice, and bioflavanoids from the white pitch. The lemon also adds a nice balance to the sweet of the apples. The dates as a sweetener are entirely up to your taste. As Tom found out, many apples are sweet enough on their own. My applesauce retains the skins, so the final product turns out with flecks of pink! (I've never looked at the applesauce recipe in the cookbook :-) I've tossed cranberries into this on occasion (during cranberry season). If you like the taste of cranberries, it is a nice and different treat. You can add in a small amount of ANY fruit, and call it a ___________ and apple applesauce! Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))>< On Jan 14, 2012, at 1:16 AM, Navarro wrote: So do you just throw all this in the vitamix and grind it up. It sounds good. > > From: pmatus@...> Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 16:16:19 +0000> Subject: Raw Applesauce> > I borrowed Blentec's raw apples sauce recipe today and it was very good I thought. Instead of the lemon juice as Vitamix recommends Blendtec adds pineapple juice. They also put in 1 tsp of Fruit Fresh. The Fruit-Fresh keeps the applesauce from turning brown. Blendtec also adds sugar but I omitted it. The apples I used were sweet enough on their own.> > In a lot ways this looked and tasted like applesauce in a jar. I did not notice a pineapple taste either.> > Tom> > 4 medium apples cored> 1/4 cup pineapple juice> 1 tsp Fruit-Fresh> 1/4 tsp cinnamon> 4 Tbs sugar

Hi Tom, I blend half of a lemon (peeled) rather than add lemon juice - I wonder if that makes a difference?I like the idea of adding pineapple juice though - or any juice that would add a flavor that someone would like! :-)That is a good question about the soy milk. I don't make soy milk, but when I read the instructions in the Whole Foods Cookbook I was curious about how simple it was, when I'd heard so much discussion of heating soy milk from others on this list when talking about making soy milk.

On Jan 14, 2012, at 7:17 PM, Tom Matuschak wrote:

I made the Vitamix recipe and added the juice of a half a lemon and mine did turn brown. It still tasted fine but appearance is a big deal when getting my grandchildren to eat something. The taste to me with the pineapple juice made the applesauce more like what I find in a commercial applesauce but it was the Fruit Fresh that kept it the color in my mind that kept the color natural. I used Gala apples as I remember and I had flecks of red too but I think they will eat this version. I agree that the apples shouldn't need any extra sugar but that is how the recipe was written and I omitted it. The sugar in the pineapple juice was plenty extra. I may try the Vitamix recipe again but add the Fruit Fresh and see what happens. If you have some pineapple juice and Fruit Fresh you should give this version a try. Speaking of Vitamix recipes I was looking at soy milk recipes since it has been discussed a lot lately and in my 2004 recipe book I bought on eBay the recipe listed for soy milk is much different than the current one. On pg 75 in this book is a recipe for Soy Milk Vitamix suggests for after mixing on high for 2 minutes they want you to bring the mixture to a boil on medium high heat on the stove. They warn you to watch carefully for boil over's. After that the recipe asks you to strain the liquid and bring the strained liquid to a boil, "Bring strained liquid to a boil. Stir frequently to keep from scorching. Simmer over Low heat for 15 minutes. This procedure is necessary to deactivate an enzyme which makes protein indigestible." In the current Whole Foods cookbook there is no mention of heating the soy milk liquid that you mixed for 1 1/2 minutes. I wonder what changed over the years. Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Lea Ann SavageSent: Saturday, January 14, 2012 7:11 AM Subject: Re: Raw Applesauce I have a very good raw applesauce recipe on my VitamixLady website. The lemon is to keep the applesauce from turning brown (and you get a lot of Vitamin C from the juice, and bioflavanoids from the white pitch. The lemon also adds a nice balance to the sweet of the apples. The dates as a sweetener are entirely up to your taste. As Tom found out, many apples are sweet enough on their own. My applesauce retains the skins, so the final product turns out with flecks of pink! (I've never looked at the applesauce recipe in the cookbook :-) I've tossed cranberries into this on occasion (during cranberry season). If you like the taste of cranberries, it is a nice and different treat. You can add in a small amount of ANY fruit, and call it a ___________ and apple applesauce! Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))>< On Jan 14, 2012, at 1:16 AM, Navarro wrote: So do you just throw all this in the vitamix and grind it up. It sounds good. > > From: pmatus@...> Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 16:16:19 +0000> Subject: Raw Applesauce> > I borrowed Blentec's raw apples sauce recipe today and it was very good I thought. Instead of the lemon juice as Vitamix recommends Blendtec adds pineapple juice. They also put in 1 tsp of Fruit Fresh. The Fruit-Fresh keeps the applesauce from turning brown. Blendtec also adds sugar but I omitted it. The apples I used were sweet enough on their own.> > In a lot ways this looked and tasted like applesauce in a jar. I did not notice a pineapple taste either.> > Tom> > 4 medium apples cored> 1/4 cup pineapple juice> 1 tsp Fruit-Fresh> 1/4 tsp cinnamon> 4 Tbs sugar

How about adding a diluted vit C tablet or two.

SharonM

Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2012 4:17 PM

Subject: RE: Raw Applesauce

I made the Vitamix recipe and added the juice of a half a lemon and mine did turn brown. It still tasted fine but appearance is a big deal when getting my grandchildren to eat something. The taste to me with the pineapple juice made the applesauce more like what I find in a commercial applesauce but it was the Fruit Fresh that kept it the color in my mind that kept the color natural. I used Gala apples as I remember and I had flecks of red too but I think they will eat this version. I agree that the apples shouldn't need any extra sugar but that is how the recipe was written and I omitted it. The sugar in the pineapple juice was plenty extra. I may try the Vitamix recipe again but add the Fruit Fresh and see what happens. If you have some pineapple juice and Fruit Fresh you should give this version a try.

Speaking of Vitamix recipes I was looking at soy milk recipes since it has been discussed a lot lately and in my 2004 recipe book I bought on eBay the it a ___________ and apple applesauce!

Blessings,Lea

I like to add some pitted dates and cinnamon to the apple sauce.

>

> How about adding a diluted vit C tablet or two.

>

> SharonM

>

> From: Tom Matuschak

> Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2012 4:17 PM

>

> Subject: RE: Raw Applesauce

>

>

>

> I made the Vitamix recipe and added the juice of a half a lemon and mine did

turn brown. It still tasted fine but appearance is a big deal when getting my

grandchildren to eat something. The taste to me with the pineapple juice made

the applesauce more like what I find in a commercial applesauce but it was the

Fruit Fresh that kept it the color in my mind that kept the color natural. I

used Gala apples as I remember and I had flecks of red too but I think they will

eat this version. I agree that the apples shouldn't need any extra sugar but

that is how the recipe was written and I omitted it. The sugar in the pineapple

juice was plenty extra. I may try the Vitamix recipe again but add the Fruit

Fresh and see what happens. If you have some pineapple juice and Fruit Fresh

you should give this version a try.

>

>

> Speaking of Vitamix recipes I was looking at soy milk recipes since it has

been discussed a lot lately and in my 2004 recipe book I bought on eBay the it a

___________ and apple applesauce!

>

>

> Blessings,

> Lea

>

Both vitamin C pills and Fruit Fresh both contain Ascorbic Acid so I guess it could work. Fruit Fresh also has citric acid that is not listed on my bottle of vitamin C. Have you tried it as a preventive for apples turning brown? Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of sharonSent: Saturday, January 14, 2012 10:34 PM Subject: Re: Raw Applesauce How about adding a diluted vit C tablet or two. SharonM From: Tom Matuschak Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2012 4:17 PM Subject: RE: Raw Applesauce I made the Vitamix recipe and added the juice of a half a lemon and mine did turn brown. It still tasted fine but appearance is a big deal when getting my grandchildren to eat something. The taste to me with the pineapple juice made the applesauce more like what I find in a commercial applesauce but it was the Fruit Fresh that kept it the color in my mind that kept the color natural. I used Gala apples as I remember and I had flecks of red too but I think they will eat this version. I agree that the apples shouldn't need any extra sugar but that is how the recipe was written and I omitted it. The sugar in the pineapple juice was plenty extra. I may try the Vitamix recipe again but add the Fruit Fresh and see what happens. If you have some pineapple juice and Fruit Fresh you should give this version a try.Speaking of Vitamix recipes I was looking at soy milk recipes since it has been discussed a lot lately and in my 2004 recipe book I bought on eBay the it a ___________ and apple applesauce!Blessings,Lea