RemedySpot.com

Re: FW: [Chirolist-CA] Signature required on notes for medicare

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Thanks Sunny,

Medicare would like all entries signed, initialed, whatever. I don't suppose it would be all that difficult to do except those of us using computerized chartnote systems. Then, my suggestion would be to initial each entry before sending printed, requested copies. Each entry, even computerized, should have some mark to identify the doc making the entry. Even in solo clinics it would be a mistake to assume every entry is made by the doc. J. Holzapfel, DCAlbany, Oregon-- Sunny Kierstyn <skrndc1@...> wrote:Hi , Might be a good thing to remind our Oregon docs of this need .... at the PRC, we rarely see date-by-date signature. That habit is a poor habit....quite possibly one of the several reasons we DCs have such poor respect from the health care community when it comes to documentation. Sunny

Sunny Kierstyn, RN DC Fibromyalgia Care Center of Oregon 2677 Willakenzie Road, 7CEugene, Oregon, 97401541- 344- 0509; Fx; 541- 344- 0955> Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 10:19:28 -0800> From: biegel@...> chirolist-ca@...> Subject: [Chirolist-CA] Signature required on notes for medicare> > This Listserv is partially sponsored> by Gibraltar Electro Medical> Services. CALL (800) 229-GEMS [4367]> TO PURCHASE GEMS-TENS FOR $29.00> > All communication within this forum is private and is for the benefit of the members of this forum > and may NOT be forwarded without express permission from the list administrators.> ******************************************************************> Good morning docs.> I went to the HJ Ross Advanced billing seminar this past weekend in Sacramento. All in all it was time well spent. > The presenter (Sam ) went over Medicare, among other insurances. It was very interesting. He mentioned the 85% statistic that chiropractic records were not compliant (he also mentioned that the same percentage of MD and PT records were non compliant as well). He went over the PART portion, which I am sure we are all familiar with, but then he mentioned that all entries must be signed on the date of service. I had never heard of this, so I checked it on this link....http://www.medicarenhic.com/providers/pubs/chiroguide.pdf there it was:> > 8. The signature of the person documenting the medical record should always be identifiable> (i.e., legible), and the documentation should be authenticated and dated. In some instances,> especially during inpatient hospitalization, a sample of the physician’s/provider’s signature> may be requested. This is done to ensure that the requested records are correctly> distinguished.> For Medicare reimbursement purposes, a rubber stamp signature on the medical record is not> sufficient as evidence of the physician’s presence unless initialed by the physician. The rationale> for this policy is that the rubber stamp signature does not afford the required degree of assurance> of the physician’s involvement in the patient’s care to qualify as the attending physician. This> system affords no security that others will not use the stamp in the absence of the physician.> I am a solo doctor clinic, and handwrite my notes, but no matter, all notes will contain my signature from today on.> By the way, the 40 some pages on the medicare link which I have provided above is a quick and easy read.> Have a great week!> See everyone in Reno.> Biegel, DC> ********************************************************************************> "Building Chiropractic Community through enhanced communication."> > To change your preferences or unsubscribe:> http://ww3.chirolists.com/mailman/listinfo/chirolist-ca> email: Chirolist-CA-request@...?subject=unsubscribe> List options tutorial:> http://www.chirolists.com/index.cfm?nid=6> Email filters tutorial:> http://www.chirolists.com/index.cfm?nid=7> *********************************************************************************

Connect and share in new ways with Windows Live. Get it now! _____________________________________________________________Furniture Repair Franchise - Your key to personal and financial independence. Click Here!

, Sunny, and OR DCs,

You all make some good points.

Being a solo doc in the clinic does not mean that you don't have to sign the charts. You should and and you do.

Most true electronic medical records (EMR), as oppposed to computerized chart notes(CCN), have a validated electronic signature. There are industry standards for these so I'd suggest that users of EMR check in to the capabilities of their systems to produce valid electronic signatures. CCN users are probably stuck manually signing their records.

C Simpson, DC