RemedySpot.com

Arnold Chiari Malformation

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This is not a contraindication to adjusting.

Don White, RN, DC

In a message dated 11/208 9:45:47 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, docderrdc@... writes:

Hello group,

I have a patient that was referred to me by a neurologist for her headaches. She has already had MRI of the brain and c-spine which shows a level 1 chiari malformation. This would be a red flag to any c-spine manipulation, right? I am not comfortable w/ this, but I wonder why a neurologist would send me this patient. I am headed to the phone right now to call the neurologist.

Adam Derr, D.C. One site has it all. Your email accounts, your social networks, and the things you love. Try the new AOL.com today!

Hello group,

I have a patient that was referred to me by a neurologist for her headaches. She has already had MRI of the brain and c-spine which shows a level 1 chiari malformation. This would be a red flag to any c-spine manipulation, right? I am not comfortable w/ this, but I wonder why a neurologist would send me this patient. I am headed to the phone right now to call the neurologist.

Adam Derr, D.C.

No, Adam it Arnold Chiari especially type

one is not a absolute counter-indication of chiropractic spinal adjustments.

What other neurological symptoms/signs does the patient have if any beyond the

headaches? You will like wish to perform a functional X-ray evaluation with a

Penning assessment to determine if in fact the upper C1-C2, or C2-C3 are

hypomobile which is closely associated with headache…..you will likely do

the patient a lot of good with skillful gauged force adjustments, soft tissue

work, and the appropriate physiotherapies……Vern Saboe DC FACO

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of Adam Derr

Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008

9:45 AM

chirogroup

Subject: Arnold Chiari

Malformation

Hello group,

I have a patient that was referred to me by a

neurologist for her headaches. She has already had MRI of the brain and

c-spine which shows a level 1 chiari malformation. This would be a red flag

to any c-spine manipulation, right? I am not comfortable w/ this, but I

wonder why a neurologist would send me this patient. I am headed to the phone

right now to call the neurologist.

Adam Derr, D.C.

No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com

Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.9.9/1805 - Release Date: 11/24/2008 2:36 PM

Adam,

With a cervical stairstep, these people can be safely adjusted ... no rotary or any type of 'break' type of procedure but with a stair step, they can be approached. The neurologist is probably at his 'end' and has nothing left to offer. You are his back-up .... while you should have been seen first, at least he is getting the lady to you. Loosening of the cervical spine can be helped with blocking the pelvis first. If you are unfamiliar with this type of approach, type back and I will assist you.

Sunny

Sunny Kierstyn, RN DC Fibromyalgia Care Center of Oregon 2677 Willakenzie Road, 7C

Eugene, Oregon, 97401

541- 344- 0509; Fx; 541- 344- 0955

From: docderrdc@...Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:44:59 -0800Subject: Arnold Chiari Malformation

Hello group,

Adam Derr, D.C. Get more done, have more fun, and stay more connected with Windows Mobile®. See how.

Vern is correct. You didn't say the 'type' of chiari malformation. Or symptoms? I've had 2 such cases that responded well to activator and soft tissue therapies to relieve the suboccip and upper thoracic hypertonicity. IT did relieve the odd patterns of numbness and severe headaches. However, traction is cautioned since it can compress the brain tissue into the foramen magnum.

Minga Guerrero DC

In a message dated 11/24/2008 9:57:46 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, vsaboe@... writes:

No, Adam it Arnold Chiari especially type one is not a absolute counter-indication of chiropractic spinal adjustments. What other neurological symptoms/signs does the patient have if any beyond the headaches? You will like wish to perform a functional X-ray evaluation with a Penning assessment to determine if in fact the upper C1-C2, or C2-C3 are hypomobile which is closely associated with headache…..you will likely do the patient a lot of good with skillful gauged force adjustments, soft tissue work, and the appropriate physiotherapies……Vern Saboe DC FACO

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Adam DerrSent: Monday, November 24, 2008 9:45 AMchirogroupSubject: Arnold Chiari Malformation

Hello group,

Adam Derr, D.C.

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.comVersion: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.9.9/1805 - Release Date: 11/24/2008 2:36 PM

One site has it all. Your email accounts, your social networks, and the things you love. Try the new AOL.com today!

Hi Adam

Also check for skull alignment.

When the skull is in good alignment ,the OAA will relax and be

much easier to gently manipulate.

Bob

W. Pfeiffer, DC, DABCO

P. O. Box 606

Pendleton Or 97801

541-276-2550

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of Adam

Derr

Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 9:45 AM