RemedySpot.com

PIP

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hey folks have a messy pip question here. Patient recent resident of oregon, but car still registered and insured in california. He was in an accident in oregon and hit by an oregon insured motorist. Patient wants me to give him estimate for length and price of care so he can get settlement and pay me. Can i bill Oregon insurance (at fault party) or do i have to rely on using a lien and hoping for an honest payment by the patient??

Forgot how these work. Thanks for your help ahead of time.

ph Medlin, DCSpine Tree Chiropractic1627 NE Alberta St.Portland, OR 97211

If it's a California policy, then whatever "med pay" coverage the patient has will apply. California has ridiculously low limits. PIP does not follow the car like liability coverage does (e.g. if a California motorist with 15k liability limits hurts somebody in Oregon, their California policy will have to cover up to 25k in Oregon, because of Oregon's financial responsibility laws--PIP is not part of the financial responsibility laws). My advice would be to make sure that patient signs one of the Assignment of Right to Recovery forms I drafted a few years ago, and make sure the patient gets an attorney who will be forced to honor your Assignment. I'll attach a copy of that assignment form (I drafted it so you could just copy it right on to your letterhead). The attachment to this email is safe. Best Regards, G. , Gatti, Gatti, et. al.

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Dr. ph Medlin D.C.Sent: Monday, January 07, 2008 1:34 PM Subject: PIP

Hey folks have a messy pip question here. Patient recent resident of oregon, but car still registered and insured in california. He was in an accident in oregon and hit by an oregon insured motorist. Patient wants me to give him estimate for length and price of care so he can get settlement and pay me. Can i bill Oregon insurance (at fault party) or do i have to rely on using a lien and hoping for an honest payment by the patient??

Forgot how these work. Thanks for your help ahead of time.

ph Medlin, DCSpine Tree Chiropractic1627 NE Alberta St.Portland, OR 97211

• 9 months later...

Yes, your patient is still eligible for

wage loss. The wage loss benefits are good for one year.

FYI, the minimum PIP medical benefits is

$10,000 not $15,000. This limit was raised a few years ago. I doubt any old

policies exist with the old $10,000—they have come up for renewal.

Also, if her present employer is unable to

accommodate the present work restrictions (and it sounds like the IME is in

agreement w/some kind of work restrictions) she should be able to receive wage

loss from the PIP carrier. The patient is not required to go out and look for

a new job that will meet the work restrictions is the patient is presently

employed.

A. Bobadilla

Pickett Dummigan Aguilar LLP

621 SW on Street, Suite 900

Portland, OR 97205

Office: 503.223.7770

Fax: 503.227.2530