RemedySpot.com

Re: Canned Coconut Milk - not a good idea + fructose malabsorption

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Very interesting – DH and I have decided that only foods made from scratch are safe anymore and then it’s getting to the point with this GM, that one can’t even trust that. So big garden this year.

SharonM

Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:26 AM

Subject: Canned Coconut Milk - not a good idea + fructose malabsorption

Hello everyone,

I have temporarily gotten off of raw milk (to test a theory that it is the cause of a rash) and replaced it with coconut milk in my coffee. I checked the can for the coconut milk with the least added ingredients, but never researched guar gum, and at first, wasn't aware of the issue regarding BPA in cans. Then (thanks to someone on this list) I learned about BPA in cans, so I began to feel

I agree.I do want to add that it IS possible to obsess too much about what one can't change. :-) (I am SO GUILTY sometimes of over focus - stress is just as bad for me as some "bad"? food choices :-)We all should do the best that we can, improve in increments where we feel peace about making the change, and release our stress over things we can't or aren't ready to change. I said that mostly for my own benefit :-)

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Jan 14, 2012, at 10:19 AM, sharon wrote:

Very interesting – DH and I have decided that only foods made from scratch are safe anymore and then it’s getting to the point with this GM, that one can’t even trust that. So big garden this year.

SharonM

Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:26 AM

Subject: Canned Coconut Milk - not a good idea + fructose malabsorption

Hello everyone,

I have temporarily gotten off of raw milk (to test a theory that it is the cause of a rash) and replaced it with coconut milk in my coffee. I checked the can for the coconut milk with the least added ingredients, but never researched guar gum, and at first, wasn't aware of the issue regarding BPA in cans. Then (thanks to someone on this list) I learned about BPA in cans, so I began to feel

EXCELLENT (and timely) post, Lea Ann! I do the same thing...get an idea or

concept in my head and end up stressing about it and doing endless research,

which often feeds the concern! Which is exactly what i have been squandering my

time on this morning, lol. Thanks for putting in perspective that the stress

associated with some things can be just as detrimental as the percieved issue to

begin with!

>

>

> Very interesting – DH and I have decided that only foods made from scratch are

safe anymore and then it's getting to the point with this GM, that one can't

even trust that. So big garden this year.

>

> SharonM

>

> From: Lea Ann Savage

> Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:26 AM

>

> Subject: Canned Coconut Milk - not a good idea + fructose

malabsorption

>

>

>

> Hello everyone,

>

> I have temporarily gotten off of raw milk (to test a theory that it is the

cause of a rash) and replaced it with coconut milk in my coffee. I checked the

can for the coconut milk with the least added ingredients, but never researched

guar gum, and at first, wasn't aware of the issue regarding BPA in cans. Then

(thanks to someone on this list) I learned about BPA in cans, so I began to feel

>

I so agree with what you say here. One can only do the best one can,

with the knowledge and foods available, along with the whole

financial issue these days.

I am so glad to be here in this group where I can see so many great

ideas, then be able to choose which work best for my family.

Velda

On 1/14/2012 8:27 AM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:

I agree.

I do want to add that it IS possible to obsess too much about

what one can't change.  :-) (I am SO GUILTY sometimes of over

focus - stress is just as bad for me as some "bad"? food choices

:-)

We all should do the best that we can, improve in increments

where we feel peace about making the change, and release our

stress over things we can't or aren't ready to change.  I said

that mostly for my own benefit :-)

Blessings,

Lea Ann Savage

Satellite Beach, FL

(321) 773-7088 (home)

(321-961-9219 (cell)

www.VitamixLady.com

www..com

<:)))><

On Jan 14, 2012, at 10:19 AM, sharon wrote:

Very interesting – DH and I have decided that

only foods made from scratch are safe anymore and

then it’s getting to the point with this GM, that

one can’t even trust that.   So big garden this

year.

SharonM

Savage

Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2012

5:26 AM

Subject: Canned

Coconut Milk - not a good idea + fructose

malabsorption

Hello everyone,

I have temporarily gotten off of raw milk (to test

a theory that it is the cause of a rash) and

replaced it with coconut milk in my coffee.  I

checked the can for the coconut milk with the

least added ingredients, but never researched guar

gum, and at first, wasn't aware of the issue

regarding BPA in cans.  Then (thanks to someone on

this list) I learned about BPA in cans, so I began

to feel

The fructose malabsorption info out there is very conflicting! If you haven't

found it yet, the most current research seems to be out of Australia by Sue

Shepard. Thanks for the link! I've been looking for more info connecting it with

depression/anxiety and the article was interesting. Oh, and not to mess with

your coffee, but have you heard of this coffee replacement? I didn't want to

give up my coffee, but love this stuff with homemade coffee creamer and don't

miss the coffee.

http://www.amazon.com/Teeccino-Caffeine-Free-Mediterranean-Vanilla-11-Ounce/dp/B\

001F1SAPA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8 & qid=1326611814 & sr=8-5

>

> BTW, my coffee is the one addiction that I can't (won't REALLY don't want to)

break. At least it is only 1/2 caffeinated and the decaf portion is organic /

swiss water processed, and the caffeine portion is organic…

>

> But I digress.

>

> So back to the coconut milk. I'll report back on how making my own from dried

coconut flakes goes.

>

> And now I'm off to do more research on fructose malabsorption issues…

> Here's one article: http://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/13/5687.pdf

>

> Blessings,

> Lea Ann Savage

> Satellite Beach, FL

> (321) 773-7088 (home)

> (321-961-9219 (cell)

> www.VitamixLady.com

> www..com

> <:)))><

>

Hi ,I did try Teeccino. For "MY" tastes (and tastes are so variable) I prefer the DandyBlend http://www.dandyblend.com/ coffee substitute. It is AWESOME in Vitamix ice creams, and coffee drinks!

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Jan 15, 2012, at 2:24 AM, wrote:

The fructose malabsorption info out there is very conflicting! If you haven't found it yet, the most current research seems to be out of Australia by Sue Shepard. Thanks for the link! I've been looking for more info connecting it with depression/anxiety and the article was interesting. Oh, and not to mess with your coffee, but have you heard of this coffee replacement? I didn't want to give up my coffee, but love this stuff with homemade coffee creamer and don't miss the coffee. http://www.amazon.com/Teeccino-Caffeine-Free-Mediterranean-Vanilla-11-Ounce/dp/B001F1SAPA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8 & qid=1326611814 & sr=8-5

>

> BTW, my coffee is the one addiction that I can't (won't REALLY don't want to) break. At least it is only 1/2 caffeinated and the decaf portion is organic / swiss water processed, and the caffeine portion is organic…

>

> But I digress.

>

> So back to the coconut milk. I'll report back on how making my own from dried coconut flakes goes.

>

> And now I'm off to do more research on fructose malabsorption issues…

> Here's one article: http://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/13/5687.pdf

>

> Blessings,

> Lea Ann Savage

> Satellite Beach, FL

> (321) 773-7088 (home)

> (321-961-9219 (cell)

> www.VitamixLady.com

> www..com

> <:)))><

>

Finally got around to making my own coconut milk from dried, unsweetened coconut flakes and there is NO COMPARISON between home made, and the canned stuff.I put about 5 cup of coconut flakes in the Vitamix, and added warm water to just a little bit above the level of the coconut and blended on high for at least a minute (sorry, I didn't keep track). Poured it all into a nut milk bag, then squeezed out the coconut milk, and tossed the coconut fiber (I won't use it anywhere else).It separated quickly to about 50/50 water on the bottom and cream on the top. I used a straw to drink off the water on the bottom. I guess that a siphon would work well too.SO CREAMY and 10 times the FLAVOR of canned coconut milk.I'll be buying coconut flakes like this from now on: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/organic_dried_coconut.htm (see the 1 gallon container of flakes in the middle) I have a one gallon container of the shredded coconut now, but didn't realize the the flakes were so much less expensive. Flakes it will be for me next time!

On Jan 14, 2012, at 8:26 AM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:Hello everyone,I have temporarily gotten off of raw milk (to test a theory that it is the cause of a rash) and replaced it with coconut milk in my coffee. I checked the can for the coconut milk with the least added ingredients, but never researched guar gum, and at first, wasn't aware of the issue regarding BPA in cans. Then (thanks to someone on this list) I learned about BPA in cans, so I began to feel like the canned coconut milk probably wasn't the best idea.Here is a good article confirming my suspicions:http://chriskresser.com/3-reasons-why-coconut-milk-may-not-be-your-friendBTW, I REALLY like this guy's website and approach. Like this article about avoiding food fanaticism (something I'm prone to, but thanks to being exposed to a LOT of people who do well on a LOT of different diets, I've moved away from)As long as a person doesn't have fructose malabsorption issues (Amazing that I'd never heard about THIS before, until someone from This List brought it up!) the alternative is to make your own using dried coconut flakes and water. Hmmm sounds like a job for the Vitamix + a nut milk bag! BTW, my coffee is the one addiction that I can't (won't REALLY don't want to) break. At least it is only 1/2 caffeinated and the decaf portion is organic / swiss water processed, and the caffeine portion is organic…But I digress.So back to the coconut milk. I'll report back on how making my own from dried coconut flakes goes. And now I'm off to do more research on fructose malabsorption issues…Here's one article: http://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/13/5687.pdf

How about those containers the grease/oil to separate with the spout at the bottom.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps & field-keywords=grease+separator

Lucille

Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:11 PM

Subject: Re: Canned Coconut Milk - not a good idea + fructose malabsorption

Finally got around to making my own coconut milk from dried, unsweetened coconut flakes and there is NO COMPARISON between home made, and the canned stuff.

I put about 5 cup of coconut flakes in the Vitamix, and added warm water to just a little bit above the level of the coconut and blended on high for at least a minute (sorry, I didn't keep track). Poured it all into a nut milk bag, then squeezed out the coconut milk, and tossed the coconut fiber (I won't use it anywhere else).

It separated quickly to about 50/50 water on the bottom and cream on the top. I used a straw to drink off the water on the bottom. I guess that a siphon would work well too.

SO CREAMY and 10 times the FLAVOR of canned coconut milk.

I'll be buying coconut flakes like this from now on: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/organic_dried_coconut.htm (see the 1 gallon container of flakes in the middle) I have a one gallon container of the shredded coconut now, but didn't realize the the flakes were so much less expensive. Flakes it will be for me next time!

On Jan 14, 2012, at 8:26 AM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have temporarily gotten off of raw milk (to test a theory that it is the cause of a rash) and replaced it with coconut milk in my coffee. I checked the can for the coconut milk with the least added ingredients, but never researched guar gum, and at first, wasn't aware of the issue regarding BPA in cans. Then (thanks to someone on this list) I learned about BPA in cans, so I began to feel like the canned coconut milk probably wasn't the best idea.

Here is a good article confirming my suspicions:

http://chriskresser.com/3-reasons-why-coconut-milk-may-not-be-your-friend

BTW, I REALLY like this guy's website and approach. Like this article about avoiding food fanaticism (something I'm prone to, but thanks to being exposed to a LOT of people who do well on a LOT of different diets, I've moved away from)

As long as a person doesn't have fructose malabsorption issues (Amazing that I'd never heard about THIS before, until someone from This List brought it up!) the alternative is to make your own using dried coconut flakes and water. Hmmm sounds like a job for the Vitamix + a nut milk bag!

BTW, my coffee is the one addiction that I can't (won't REALLY don't want to) break. At least it is only 1/2 caffeinated and the decaf portion is organic / swiss water processed, and the caffeine portion is organic…

But I digress.

So back to the coconut milk. I'll report back on how making my own from dried coconut flakes goes.

And now I'm off to do more research on fructose malabsorption issues…

Here's one article: http://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/13/5687.pdf

That link to buy the coconut has lots of good recipes for coconut. That's a keeper. I'll be ordering some too.

Lucille

Finally got around to making my own coconut milk from dried, unsweetened coconut flakes and there is NO COMPARISON between home made, and the canned stuff.

I put about 5 cup of coconut flakes in the Vitamix, and added warm water to just a little bit above the level of the coconut and blended on high for at least a minute (sorry, I didn't keep track). Poured it all into a nut milk bag, then squeezed out the coconut milk, and tossed the coconut fiber (I won't use it anywhere else).

It separated quickly to about 50/50 water on the bottom and cream on the top. I used a straw to drink off the water on the bottom. I guess that a siphon would work well too.

I'll be buying coconut flakes like this from now on: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/organic_dried_coconut.htm (see the 1 gallon container of flakes in the middle) I have a one gallon container of the shredded coconut now, but didn't realize the the flakes were so much less expensive. Flakes it will be for me next time!

Hello everyone,

I have temporarily gotten off of raw milk (to test a theory that it is the cause of a rash) and replaced it with coconut milk in my coffee. I checked the can for the coconut milk with the least added ingredients, but never researched guar gum, and at first, wasn't aware of the issue regarding BPA in cans. Then (thanks to someone on this list) I learned about BPA in cans, so I began to feel like the canned coconut milk probably wasn't the best idea.

BTW, I REALLY like this guy's website and approach. Like this article about avoiding food fanaticism (something I'm prone to, but thanks to being exposed to a LOT of people who do well on a LOT of different diets, I've moved away from)

As long as a person doesn't have fructose malabsorption issues (Amazing that I'd never heard about THIS before, until someone from This List brought it up!) the alternative is to make your own using dried coconut flakes and water. Hmmm sounds like a job for the Vitamix + a nut milk bag!

BTW, my coffee is the one addiction that I can't (won't REALLY don't want to) break. At least it is only 1/2 caffeinated and the decaf portion is organic / swiss water processed, and the caffeine portion is organic…

But I digress.

So back to the coconut milk. I'll report back on how making my own from dried coconut flakes goes.

Funny you should link to those as I was just looking at them! (great minds think alike :-)I drink 9 cups of water per day, so I figure that when I make coconut cream (milk) I'll just count the water at the bottom part of my 9 cups for the day :-)

On Jan 19, 2012, at 5:19 PM, Lucille wrote:

How about those containers the grease/oil to separate with the spout at the bottom.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps & field-keywords=grease+separator

Lucille

Hello everyone,

But I digress.

Great minds MUST think alike, as I was going to suggest the gravy separator when I saw that Lucille already had. We are a clever lot, aren't we? Lucille, I love that you think outside of the box too-you fit right in here!Sent from my iPadOn Jan 19, 2012, at 5:50 PM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

Funny you should link to those as I was just looking at them! (great minds think alike :-)I drink 9 cups of water per day, so I figure that when I make coconut cream (milk) I'll just count the water at the bottom part of my 9 cups for the day :-)

On Jan 19, 2012, at 5:19 PM, Lucille wrote:

Lucille

Hello everyone,

But I digress.

Interesting video on the coconut site. And I am going to order

coconut from there for sure. Notice the coconut and water mixture

has gone from hot water and coconut to steaming in the short time

she has it going? She handles it quite gingerly as if it is almost

too hot to touch. I wonder if you could use the leftover coconut

(after squeezing the milk) in stuff like cookies, bread ,or even a

smoothie? Would still have nutrition I am sure.

Velda

On 1/19/2012 2:11 PM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:

Finally got around to making my own coconut milk from dried,

unsweetened coconut flakes and there is NO COMPARISON between home

made, and the canned stuff.

I put about 5 cup of coconut flakes in the Vitamix, and added

warm water to just a little bit above the level of the coconut

and blended on high for at least a minute (sorry, I didn't keep

track).  Poured it all into a nut milk bag, then squeezed out

the coconut milk, and tossed the coconut fiber (I won't use it

anywhere else).

It separated quickly to about 50/50 water on the bottom and

cream on the top.  I used a straw to drink off the water on the

bottom.  I guess that a siphon would work well too.

I'll be buying coconut flakes like this from now on:  http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/organic_dried_coconut.htm

(see the 1 gallon container of flakes in the middle)  I have a

one gallon container of the shredded coconut now, but didn't

realize the the flakes were so much less expensive.  Flakes it

will be for me next time!

Blessings,

Lea Ann Savage

Satellite Beach, FL

(321) 773-7088 (home)

(321-961-9219 (cell)

www.VitamixLady.com

www..com

Hello everyone,

I have temporarily gotten off of raw milk (to test a theory

that it is the cause of a rash) and replaced it with coconut

milk in my coffee.  I checked the can for the coconut milk

with the least added ingredients, but never researched guar

gum, and at first, wasn't aware of the issue regarding BPA

in cans.  Then (thanks to someone on this list) I learned

about BPA in cans, so I began to feel like the canned

coconut milk probably wasn't the best idea.

BTW, I REALLY like this guy's website and approach.

Like this article about avoiding food fanaticism

(something I'm prone to, but thanks to being exposed to a

LOT of people who do well on a LOT of different diets,

I've moved away from)

As long as a person doesn't have fructose malabsorption

issues (Amazing that I'd never heard about THIS before,

until someone from This List brought it up!) the

alternative is to make your own using dried coconut flakes

and water.  Hmmm sounds like a job for the Vitamix + a

nut milk bag! 

BTW, my coffee is the one addiction that I can't (won't

REALLY don't want to) break.  At least it is only 1/2

caffeinated and the decaf portion is organic / swiss water

processed, and the caffeine portion is organic…

But I digress.

So back to the coconut milk.  I'll report back on how

making my own from dried coconut flakes goes.  

And now I'm off to do more research on fructose

malabsorption issues…

Here's one article:  http://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/13/5687.pdf

Blessings,

Lea Ann Savage

Satellite Beach, FL

(321) 773-7088 (home)

(321-961-9219 (cell)

www.VitamixLady.com

www..com

Maybe use it to make cookies or thin it a bit for ice cream topping.

Lucille

Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 6:41 PM

Subject: Re: Re: Canned Coconut Milk - not a good idea + fructose malabsorption

Interesting video on the coconut site. And I am going to order coconut from there for sure. Notice the coconut and water mixture has gone from hot water and coconut to steaming in the short time she has it going? She handles it quite gingerly as if it is almost too hot to touch. I wonder if you could use the leftover coconut (after squeezing the milk) in stuff like cookies, bread ,or even a smoothie? Would still have nutrition I am sure. VeldaOn 1/19/2012 2:11 PM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:

Hello everyone,

But I digress.