RemedySpot.com

Re: Dog food gravy

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My friend does it for her Border Collie. She buzzes up the chicken bones with enough water to make like a tight gravy. She puts 1/4 cup on her dogs dry kibble. It's too rich to give her more than that but she loves it and dances around the kitchen in excitement.Sent from my iPadOn Jan 22, 2012, at 9:44 PM, Rena Glubay <jp17aday@...> wrote:

I saw it mentioned on this list that you can put chicken carcasses in the VM to make gravy for your dog. Are there any specific tips or tricks one needs to know before trying this? Thanks!

RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God.

Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

wow...are the chicken bones raw or cooked? all of the chicken bones? This would be great to my dog, I cook his dinner every day, shreaded vegetables and either turkey or beef, 50% cooked meat.

Cooked chicken bones (the carcass after eating a rotisserie chicken or making chicken soup). It is preferable to soften the chicken bones a bit by cooking them in water for a long time, but not 100% necessary.If you do a slow cook in water, add a tablespoon of ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar). This will help draw out the minerals.I blend the bones in batches about 3 batches to a carcass. Then, I store the gravy in large mason jars and pour over their dog food. It is a very bioavailable form of glucosamine, chondroitin, phosphorus, and calcium! And the dogs LOVE it!I bet that if you had a dehydrator, you could make really healthy bone biscuits for the dogs!

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Jan 23, 2012, at 2:16 AM, tuzahu973@... wrote:

wow...are the chicken bones raw or cooked? all of the chicken bones? This would be great to my dog, I cook his dinner every day, shreaded vegetables and either turkey or beef, 50% cooked meat.

I created a new folder "Pet Food Recipes" and put a link to "Dog Food Gravy" in there.

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Jan 23, 2012, at 6:17 AM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:

Cooked chicken bones (the carcass after eating a rotisserie chicken or making chicken soup). It is preferable to soften the chicken bones a bit by cooking them in water for a long time, but not 100% necessary.If you do a slow cook in water, add a tablespoon of ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar). This will help draw out the minerals.I blend the bones in batches about 3 batches to a carcass. Then, I store the gravy in large mason jars and pour over their dog food. It is a very bioavailable form of glucosamine, chondroitin, phosphorus, and calcium! And the dogs LOVE it!I bet that if you had a dehydrator, you could make really healthy bone biscuits for the dogs!

On Jan 23, 2012, at 2:16 AM, tuzahu973@... wrote:

In the UK the VM demonstraters put a cooked chicken carcass and some water, put

it on high for about five minutes and then they call it chicken stock. Not sure

if that is true, but I suppose if it is safe for dogs, then it is safe for us :)

Debbie

>

>

> wow...are the chicken bones raw or cooked? all of the chicken bones? This

would be great to my dog, I cook his dinner every day, shreaded vegetables and

either turkey or beef, 50% cooked meat.

>

No only safe, but an excellent source of extremely bio-available phosphorus, calcium, minerals, glucosamine, and chondroitin - but it is a little bit gritty - sandy-like.

On Jan 23, 2012, at 8:44 AM, drunkendebbieninjamaster wrote:

In the UK the VM demonstraters put a cooked chicken carcass and some water, put it on high for about five minutes and then they call it chicken stock. Not sure if that is true, but I suppose if it is safe for dogs, then it is safe for us :)

Debbie

>

>

> wow...are the chicken bones raw or cooked? all of the chicken bones? This would be great to my dog, I cook his dinner every day, shreaded vegetables and either turkey or beef, 50% cooked meat.

>

Hi. I make roasted chix at least once a week, then put all bones into a crock

pot for at least overnight, but usually a lot longer. I strain off the broth for

soups, stews and human use, but add separated fat back to bones and grind in

VM--along with a little water if needed. I freeze in small amounts (1/2 cup) and

add to dog's food.

I know it seems crazy to think that the VM can puree all the bones, especially

big leg bones, but it absolutely can--and in short order. Altho the 48 hours in

the crock pot helps to soften them, I'm sure.

Happy VMing.

>

>

> wow...are the chicken bones raw or cooked? all of the chicken bones? This

>

eeek! I make ground bones like this for my dog and she loves it, but the smell

is so off-putting, I can't imagine eating it myself. like you say, probably

safe, but yikes, lol.

MAry Beth

>

> In the UK the VM demonstraters put a cooked chicken carcass and some water,

put it on high for about five minutes and then they call it chicken stock. Not

sure if that is true, but I suppose if it is safe for dogs, then it is safe for

us :)

>

> Debbie

>

>

I bet it would be much smoother if the bones were cooked in the pressure cooker for 45 minutes or an hour.

Lori

From: Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> Sent: Monday, January 23, 2012 9:00 AMSubject: Re: Dog food gravy

No only safe, but an excellent source of extremely bio-available phosphorus, calcium, minerals, glucosamine, and chondroitin - but it is a little bit gritty - sandy-like.

On Jan 23, 2012, at 8:44 AM, drunkendebbieninjamaster wrote:

In the UK the VM demonstraters put a cooked chicken carcass and some water, put it on high for about five minutes and then they call it chicken stock. Not sure if that is true, but I suppose if it is safe for dogs, then it is safe for us :)Debbie>> > wow...are the chicken bones raw or cooked? all of the chicken bones? This would be great to my dog, I cook his dinner every day, shreaded vegetables and either turkey or beef, 50% cooked meat.>

Would straining get rid of the grit? I've meant to try it a couple of times but

freaked out and thought it couldn't be good for us :(

Debbie

> >

> >

> > wow...are the chicken bones raw or cooked? all of the chicken bones? This

> >

>

I bet it would!

On Jan 23, 2012, at 12:16 PM, drunkendebbieninjamaster wrote:

Would straining get rid of the grit? I've meant to try it a couple of times but freaked out and thought it couldn't be good for us :(

Debbie

> >

> >

> > wow...are the chicken bones raw or cooked? all of the chicken bones? This would be great to my dog, I cook his dinner every day, shreaded vegetables and either turkey or beef, 50% cooked meat.

> >

>

would this be safe for cats too do you think? I have 3 elderly cats that are getting more finicky about their food. On our vet's recommendation, they are on a predominately wet food diet but they love the gravy or the "jelly" in the can and lick that up first. It'd be a treat once in a while to give them a little extra "gravy" this way.On Jan 23, 2012, at 1:45 PM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:

I bet it would!

Would straining get rid of the grit? I've meant to try it a couple of times but freaked out and thought it couldn't be good for us :(

Debbie

> >

> >

> > wow...are the chicken bones raw or cooked? all of the chicken bones? This would be great to my dog, I cook his dinner every day, shreaded vegetables and either turkey or beef, 50% cooked meat.

> >

>

That's my question to. I have 3 cats that love gravy and won't eat anything that doesn't have it in there. I would love a way to make a healthy gravy they would like.

-- Re: Dog food gravy

would this be safe for cats too do you think? I have 3 elderly cats that are getting more finicky about their food. On our vet's recommendation, they are on a predominately wet food diet but they love the gravy or the "jelly" in the can and lick that up first. It'd be a treat once in a while to give them a little extra "gravy" this way.

On Jan 23, 2012, at 1:45 PM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:

I bet it would!

Would straining get rid of the grit? I've meant to try it a couple of times but freaked out and thought it couldn't be good for us :(Debbie> >> > > > wow...are the chicken bones raw or cooked? all of the chicken bones? This would be great to my dog, I cook his dinner every day, shreaded vegetables and either turkey or beef, 50% cooked meat.> >>

Yes - IF they will eat it :-) it is safe and would be good for them. Cats, btw, are pure carnivores (not omnivores like dogs).

On Jan 23, 2012, at 2:04 PM, Kirstin Crossland wrote:

would this be safe for cats too do you think? I have 3 elderly cats that are getting more finicky about their food. On our vet's recommendation, they are on a predominately wet food diet but they love the gravy or the "jelly" in the can and lick that up first. It'd be a treat once in a while to give them a little extra "gravy" this way.On Jan 23, 2012, at 1:45 PM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:

I bet it would!

Debbie

> >

> >

> >

>

makes me wish I'd kept that chicken carcass I used to make soup with yesterday..... now I just want to see the VM blend the chicken bones.... lolOn Jan 23, 2012, at 2:27 PM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:

Yes - IF they will eat it :-) it is safe and would be good for them. Cats, btw, are pure carnivores (not omnivores like dogs).

I bet it would!

Debbie

> >

> >

> >

>

Thank you, am going to try it, when I get some bones.lol

-- Re: Dog food gravy

would this be safe for cats too do you think? I have 3 elderly cats that are getting more finicky about their food. On our vet's recommendation, they are on a predominately wet food diet but they love the gravy or the "jelly" in the can and lick that up first. It'd be a treat once in a while to give them a little extra "gravy" this way.

On Jan 23, 2012, at 1:45 PM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:

I bet it would!

Would straining get rid of the grit? I've meant to try it a couple of times but freaked out and thought it couldn't be good for us :(Debbie> >> > > > wow...are the chicken bones raw or cooked? all of the chicken bones? This would be great to my dog, I cook his dinner every day, shreaded vegetables and either turkey or beef, 50% cooked meat.> >>

I don't *own* cats, but I do *feed* cats that live in the desert by my house...I

can't say anything verifiable about the safety of the chicken bone puree for

cats, but I can say that they seem to *love* to eat it.

Beth

>

> would this be safe for cats too do you think? I have 3 elderly cats that

are getting more finicky about their food. On our vet's recommendation, they

are on a predominately wet food diet but they love the gravy or the " jelly " in

the can and lick that up first. It'd be a treat once in a while to give them a

little extra " gravy " this way.

>

>

after reading this I checked out BONE BROTH on youtube and learned so much about it. never heard of this (I learn so much from this group!!!). It's so good for people, too!!!

I guess the chicken carcus could cook an hour or two then blend.

One woman on youtube got beef feet and used the same bones for 12 days, cooking each day and got good gelatin out of the same joints. Excellent for soup stock!! Wow, I'm going to do this. I'll get some bones on my next day off.

I would be very grateful if you sent the link to the youtube video for bone broth that lasted 12 days!I got my first delivery of ORGANIC (grass-fed) beef bones today - paid $60 for 10 lbs. Rather disappointed because they were all femur bones when I asked for joints, oxtails, and "some" femur bones.But at least I'll be making my next batch of bones and not feeling any worry about bad stuff like antibiotics and hormones in there…Organic, grass-fed beef JOINTS, now that's what I'm going to be looking for next…Thanks again if you find and post that link! :-)

On Jan 23, 2012, at 6:51 PM, tuzahu973@... wrote:

after reading this I checked out BONE BROTH on youtube and learned so much about it. never heard of this (I learn so much from this group!!!). It's so good for people, too!!!

I guess the chicken carcus could cook an hour or two then blend.

One woman on youtube got beef feet and used the same bones for 12 days, cooking each day and got good gelatin out of the same joints. Excellent for soup stock!! Wow, I'm going to do this. I'll get some bones on my next day off.

Lea Ann,

Did they crack the femur so you can get them into a pot?

>

> I would be very grateful if you sent the link to the youtube video for bone

broth that lasted 12 days!

>

> I got my first delivery of ORGANIC (grass-fed) beef bones today - paid $60 for

10 lbs. Rather disappointed because they were all femur bones when I asked for

joints, oxtails, and " some " femur bones.

>

here is the link to the youtube lady who is so excited to make bone broth for 12 days from the same beef joint. she says the beef feet are the best to get the gelatin from. II've never seen 'beef feet' at the store, not that I've looked for them. Now I will, this looks swell to make.

THANK YOU! This went into my GAPS folder for my web bookmarks!

On Jan 24, 2012, at 5:52 PM, tuzahu973@... wrote:

here is the link to the youtube lady who is so excited to make bone broth for 12 days from the same beef joint. she says the beef feet are the best to get the gelatin from. II've never seen 'beef feet' at the store, not that I've looked for them. Now I will, this looks swell to make.