RemedySpot.com

Re: : Yogurt

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I 2nd that!!  Like to have the info. also.StaceyOn Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 7:03 AM, Horner <lisahorner@...> wrote:

I would like to have the information, ; thanks!

While Kefir is one of the more healthy styles of yogurt, I found a type of yogurt that you can make right on your countertop with no heating or any effort at all. I bought a starter 4 years ago and have been making it ever since. I have it in my morning smoothie every day and have only been sick once (short cold) since I started eating it. The probiotics may not be as high as they are in kefir, but its still good and its easy, easy, easy! If anyone is interested, I can give you more information. ~katie

i do piima yogurt.. on the counter top no heating... is that the kind you are making ? Patti From: ssummers1 tds.net <ssummers1@...> Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:27 AM Subject: Re: : Yogurt

I 2nd that!! Like to have the info. also.StaceyOn Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 7:03 AM, Horner <lisahorner@...> wrote:

While Kefir is one of the more healthy styles of yogurt, I found a type of yogurt that you can make right on your countertop with no heating or any effort at all. I bought a starter 4 years ago and have been making it ever since. I have it in my morning smoothie every day and have only been sick once (short cold) since I started eating it. The probiotics may not be as high as they are in kefir, but its still good and its easy, easy, easy! If anyone is interested, I can give you more information. ~katie

Countertop Yogurts:

First of all, you do NOT need a yogurt maker. All 5 of these yogurts will form at room

temperature. After you get the starter “startedâ€,

each time you start getting low, you take 1T per cup of milk and remake

it. You can keep this starter alive

forever! So for a very small investment,

you have an unlimited supply, which is very cost effective.

I bought the 5 pack from this guy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIVE-YOGURTS-Viili-Piima-Fil-Mjolk-Caspian-Sea-Yogurt-Greek-Bulgarian-too-/390379193613?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0 & hash=item5ae469c50d I know this is an ebay link, but if you go

there, he also has a website with more information and other fermented

products. His teas are great too! After trying them all, we decided that we

liked the Villi the best so that is the one that we have continued with.

I use quart jars, 4 at a time, putting 4 tablespoons of

yogurt from a previous batch into the bottom of the quart jar and filling it

with milk (this is 1 tablespoon per cup of milk). Put a coffee filter on the jar, secure it

with the outer lid or rubber band (do not use the entire lid to seal it. You want it to breathe through the coffee

filter) and I have found with the temperature in my house, it takes 24 hours

exactly to get the consistency I want, which is probably a little longer than

most people like. Put the jars in a place

where it won’t be bothered by lots of air movement. Not in a cabinet or anything. I put mine in another room that doesn’t get a

lot of activity. Time will vary greatly

depending on the temperature and humidity level in your house though. Then put it in the fridge for 6 hours and its

ready to eat!

Flavor it as you eat it and always use a clean, unflavored

amount to start a new container. When

you order from this guy, he sends you complete detailed instructions on how to

get it started and then you just find what works best for you.

I started mine with whole milk and now we use 2%. We are thinking of going down to 1% but haven’t

done it yet. Whole milk will make it

thicker, but after established, you can get a pretty thick yogurt with 2%. It’s not as thick as the stuff you get in the

store. More like the consistency of

honey but when you put it in a smoothie, it doesn’t matter the consistency!

Oh, I also got my starter on an organic cotton ball instead

of in the jar. When we first started doing

this, I lived in Arizona where it was hotter so I didn’t want the starter to

spoil if I wasn’t home when it got there.

I ordered my second starter when we moved to Alabama and also got it on

a cotton ball because it just seemed easier since I had done it that way

before.

Questions are welcomed!

~katie

From: Horner <lisahorner@...>Subject: : Yogurt Date: Thursday, January 26, 2012, 6:03 AM

We liked the piima, but we decided we liked the villi the best. I came home

from a trip to Japan with my son where we had the Caspian Sea Yogurt each

morning for breakfast and fell in love with it. So in my research into it, I

found this guy that sold 5 different types and we tried them all. Villi just

fit our wants the best. But they are all really good! ~katie

>

> i do piima yogurt.. on the counter top no heating... is that the kind you are

making ?

>

> Patti 

Thank you for that link and information.  I am looking into it but have a couple of questions.  Do you have to warm the milk first?  If I remember correctly when I made yogurt with my yogurt maker I had to warm the milk to a certain temperature.  Secondly, if I want to take a break from making the yogurt, will the starts last in the refrig (or wherever) or do they go bad?  In other words, how long will starts last? Thanks!

RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God.

Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 6:55 AM, Kat Rat <katratvet@...> wrote:

Countertop Yogurts: 

First of all, you do NOT need a yogurt maker.  All 5 of these yogurts will form at room

temperature.  After you get the starter “started”,

each time you start getting low, you take 1T per cup of milk and remake

it.  You can keep this starter alive

forever!  So for a very small investment,

you have an unlimited supply, which is very cost effective.

I bought the 5 pack from this guy:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIVE-YOGURTS-Viili-Piima-Fil-Mjolk-Caspian-Sea-Yogurt-Greek-Bulgarian-too-/390379193613?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0 & hash=item5ae469c50d  I know this is an ebay link, but if you go

there, he also has a website with more information and other fermented

products.  His teas are great too!  After trying them all, we decided that we

liked the Villi the best so that is the one that we have continued with. 

I use quart jars, 4 at a time, putting 4 tablespoons of

yogurt from a previous batch into the bottom of the quart jar and filling it

with milk (this is 1 tablespoon per cup of milk).  Put a coffee filter on the jar, secure it

with the outer lid or rubber band (do not use the entire lid to seal it.  You want it to breathe through the coffee

filter) and I have found with the temperature in my house, it takes 24 hours

exactly to get the consistency I want, which is probably a little longer than

most people like.  Put the jars in a place

where it won’t be bothered by lots of air movement.  Not in a cabinet or anything.  I put mine in another room that doesn’t get a

lot of activity.  Time will vary greatly

depending on the temperature and humidity level in your house though.  Then put it in the fridge for 6 hours and its

ready to eat! 

Flavor it as you eat it and always use a clean, unflavored

amount to start a new container.  When

you order from this guy, he sends you complete detailed instructions on how to

get it started and then you just find what works best for you. 

I started mine with whole milk and now we use 2%.  We are thinking of going down to 1% but haven’t

done it yet.  Whole milk will make it

thicker, but after established, you can get a pretty thick yogurt with 2%.  It’s not as thick as the stuff you get in the

store.  More like the consistency of

honey but when you put it in a smoothie, it doesn’t matter the consistency!

Oh, I also got my starter on an organic cotton ball instead

of in the jar.  When we first started doing

this, I lived in Arizona where it was hotter so I didn’t want the starter to

spoil if I wasn’t home when it got there. 

I ordered my second starter when we moved to Alabama and also got it on

a cotton ball because it just seemed easier since I had done it that way

before. 

Questions are welcomed! 

~katie

Subject: : Yogurt Date: Thursday, January 26, 2012, 6:03 AM

Rena, in answer to your questions: No, you do not have to warm the milk at all.

That's what I love about making this yogurt! I pour it straight out of the

fridge into the jar over the tablespoons of yogurt that just came out of the

fridge too. The bacteria get active as they warm up and start feasting on the

lactose in the milk. And the starter will last forever as long as it doesn't

get contaminated by something in the air. I kept mine going for many years in

Arizona and the only reason I had to order a new starter was because we moved to

Alabama recently. You have to make a new batch weekly if you don't go through

it very fast, but we go through a quart every two days. I haven't tried drying

it myself onto a cotton ball but have thought about doing that so I can send it

to friends. I used to make yogurt in a crockpot but it was so time consuming

with the heating and monitoring that I didn't make it enough to have it

everyday. And I thought about getting a yogurt maker but I didn't want anything

else on my counter. I really like this yogurt because it is so easy and takes

very little preparation. ~katie

>

> Thank you for that link and information. I am looking into it but have a

> couple of questions. Do you have to warm the milk first? If I remember

> correctly when I made yogurt with my yogurt maker I had to warm the milk to

> a certain temperature. Secondly, if I want to take a break from making the

> yogurt, will the starts last in the refrig (or wherever) or do they go bad?

> In other words, how long will starts last? Thanks!

>

> *Rena*

> If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

>

> Happy moments, *praise* God.

> Difficult moments, *seek* God.

> Quiet moments, *worship* God.

> Painful moments, *trust* God.

> Every moment, *thank* God.

Is 40.00 for the five cultures a bit high? I do not know the going rate of these types of things.

From: "Kat Rat" <katratvet@...> Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:55:03 AMSubject: Re: : Yogurt

Countertop Yogurts: First of all, you do NOT need a yogurt maker. All 5 of these yogurts will form at room temperature. After you get the starter “startedâ€, each time you start getting low, you take 1T per cup of milk and remake it. You can keep this starter alive forever! So for a very small investment, you have an unlimited supply, which is very cost effective.

I bought the 5 pack from this guy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIVE-YOGURTS-Viili-Piima-Fil-Mjolk-Caspian-Sea-Yogurt-Greek-Bulgarian-too-/390379193613?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0 & hash=item5ae469c50d I know this is an ebay link, but if you go there, he also has a website with more information and other fermented products. His teas are great too! After trying them all, we decided that we liked the Villi the best so that is the one that we have continued with.

I use quart jars, 4 at a time, putting 4 tablespoons of yogurt from a previous batch into the bottom of the quart jar and filling it with milk (this is 1 tablespoon per cup of milk). Put a coffee filter on the jar, secure it with the outer lid or rubber band (do not use the entire lid to seal it. You want it to breathe through the coffee filter) and I have found with the temperature in my house, it takes 24 hours exactly to get the consistency I want, which is probably a little longer than most people like. Put the jars in a place where it won’t be bothered by lots of air movement. Not in a cabinet or anything. I put mine in another room that doesn’t get a lot of activity. Time will vary greatly depending on the temperature and humidity level in your house though. Then put it in the fridge for 6 hours and its ready to eat!

Flavor it as you eat it and always use a clean, unflavored amount to start a new container. When you order from this guy, he sends you complete detailed instructions on how to get it started and then you just find what works best for you.

I started mine with whole milk and now we use 2%. We are thinking of going down to 1% but haven’t done it yet. Whole milk will make it thicker, but after established, you can get a pretty thick yogurt with 2%. It’s not as thick as the stuff you get in the store. More like the consistency of honey but when you put it in a smoothie, it doesn’t matter the consistency!

Oh, I also got my starter on an organic cotton ball instead of in the jar. When we first started doing this, I lived in Arizona where it was hotter so I didn’t want the starter to spoil if I wasn’t home when it got there. I ordered my second starter when we moved to Alabama and also got it on a cotton ball because it just seemed easier since I had done it that way before.

Questions are welcomed! ~katie

From: Horner <lisahorner@...>Subject: : Yogurt Date: Thursday, January 26, 2012, 6:03 AM

i think its high... but thats just my opinion..Patti From: "diciacco1@..." <diciacco1@...> Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2012 5:07 PM Subject: Re: : Yogurt

Is 40.00 for the five cultures a bit high? I do not know the going rate of these types of things.

From: "Kat Rat" <katratvet@...> Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:55:03 AMSubject: Re: : Yogurt

Countertop Yogurts: First of all, you do NOT need a yogurt maker. All 5 of these yogurts will form at room temperature. After you get the starter “startedâ€, each time you start getting low, you take 1T per cup of milk and remake it. You can keep this starter alive forever! So for a very small investment, you have an unlimited supply, which is very cost effective.

I bought the 5 pack from this guy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIVE-YOGURTS-Viili-Piima-Fil-Mjolk-Caspian-Sea-Yogurt-Greek-Bulgarian-too-/390379193613?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0 & hash=item5ae469c50d I know this is an ebay link, but if you go there, he also has a website with more information and other fermented products. His teas are great too! After trying them all, we decided that we liked the Villi the best so that is the one that we have continued with.

I use quart jars, 4 at a time, putting 4 tablespoons of yogurt from a previous batch into the bottom of the quart jar and filling it with milk (this is 1 tablespoon per cup of milk). Put a coffee filter on the jar, secure it with the outer lid or rubber band (do not use the entire lid to seal it. You want it to breathe through the coffee filter) and I have found with the temperature in my house, it takes 24 hours exactly to get the consistency I want, which is probably a little longer than most people like. Put the jars in a place where it won’t be bothered by lots of air movement. Not in a cabinet or anything. I put mine in another room that doesn’t get a lot of activity. Time will vary greatly depending on the temperature and humidity level in your house though. Then put it in the

fridge for 6 hours and its ready to eat!

Flavor it as you eat it and always use a clean, unflavored amount to start a new container. When you order from this guy, he sends you complete detailed instructions on how to get it started and then you just find what works best for you.

I started mine with whole milk and now we use 2%. We are thinking of going down to 1% but haven’t done it yet. Whole milk will make it thicker, but after established, you can get a pretty thick yogurt with 2%. It’s not as thick as the stuff you get in the store. More like the consistency of honey but when you put it in a smoothie, it doesn’t matter the consistency!

Oh, I also got my starter on an organic cotton ball instead of in the jar. When we first started doing this, I lived in Arizona where it was hotter so I didn’t want the starter to spoil if I wasn’t home when it got there. I ordered my second starter when we moved to Alabama and also got it on a cotton ball because it just seemed easier since I had done it that way before.

actually after looking at what each would cost, that is not a bad price. I see that one culture is about $9-12 so you are getting 5 for $40.. Patti From: patti <patti720@...> " " < > Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:08 PM Subject: Re: : Yogurt

i think its high... but thats just my opinion..Patti From: "diciacco1@..." <diciacco1@...> Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2012 5:07 PM Subject: Re: : Yogurt

I use quart jars, 4 at a time, putting 4 tablespoons of yogurt from a previous batch into the bottom of the quart jar and filling it with milk (this is 1 tablespoon per cup of milk). Put a coffee filter on the jar, secure it with the outer lid or rubber band (do not use the entire lid to seal it. You want it to breathe through the coffee filter) and I have found with the temperature in my house, it takes 24 hours exactly to get the consistency I want, which is probably a little longer than most people like. Put the jars in a place where it won’t be bothered by lots of air movement. Not in a cabinet or anything. I put mine in another room that doesn’t get a lot of activity. Time will vary greatly depending on the temperature and humidity level in your house though. Then put it in the

fridge for 6 hours and its ready to eat!

It does seem high, but when you consider you are getting a culture that will

last as long as you are able to take care of it, its pretty cheap! I had one

going for 4 years. Think of what 4 years of yogurt would have cost me when we

eat a quart every two days. You can buy them individually though for less. I

just sent the 5 pack so everyone could see what kinds they offer. ~katie

>

> Is 40.00 for the five cultures a bit high? I do not know the going rate of

these types of things.

Do you remember how much you get?  Enough to start a quart each maybe?  I asked a co-worker if she would like to split it with me.  I figured if each flavor made a quart and I split it then I could make 2 cups each and have a starter going.

RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God.

Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 5:59 PM, Kat Rat <katratvet@...> wrote:

It does seem high, but when you consider you are getting a culture that will last as long as you are able to take care of it, its pretty cheap! I had one going for 4 years. Think of what 4 years of yogurt would have cost me when we eat a quart every two days. You can buy them individually though for less. I just sent the 5 pack so everyone could see what kinds they offer. ~katie

>

> Is 40.00 for the five cultures a bit high? I do not know the going rate of these types of things.

I have no clue on that starter, but I only use a few tbsp each time

I do yogurt and make a quart or two or three. These days I use Fage

most of the time but I know how to make yogurt in my Excaliber

dehydrator and have done it many times.

Velda

On 1/26/2012 5:05 PM, Rena Glubay wrote:

Do you

remember how much you get?  Enough to start a quart each

maybe?  I asked a co-worker if she would like to split it

with me.  I figured if each flavor made a quart and I split

it then I could make 2 cups each and have a starter going.

Rena

If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Happy moments, praise God.

Difficult moments, seek God.

Quiet moments, worship God.

Painful moments, trust God.

Every moment, thank God.

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 5:59 PM, Kat Rat

<katratvet@...>

wrote:

It does seem high, but when you consider you are

getting a culture that will last as long as you are

able to take care of it, its pretty cheap! I had one

going for 4 years. Think of what 4 years of yogurt

would have cost me when we eat a quart every two

days. You can buy them individually though for less.

I just sent the 5 pack so everyone could see what

kinds they offer. ~katie

>

> Is 40.00 for the five cultures a bit high? I do

not know the going rate of these types of things.

On 1/26/2012 8:08 PM, Velda wrote:

> culture that will last as long as you are able to take care of it

Any healthy yogurt culture will pretty much last as long as you take

care of it. I'm still using a culture that was the commonly-used yogurt

in my family when I was a child (and I'm well past retirement age now,

drat it). The only break in my usage occurred when the house burned to

the ground, but I just copped some from one of my sons...it all came

from a 1/2 cup of yogurt I took with me to school in the 50s. We've

been using the same kefir culture since 1969, too.

One reason a culture will " change " is that people sometimes don't heat

their milk before cooling and inoculating it with the culture. Heating

the milk a bit kills off the cultures already in the milk, so that the

one you are using to inoculate it gets the upper hand and doesn't have

competition from others that existed in the milk before heating. It's

all a personal choice, but in order to keep a culture (relatively)

unadulterated, heat the milk to ~185° first (and of course cool it

before adding your culture).

Don't be afraid of all the long drawn-out instructions you see for

making yogurt. People have been doing it for thousands of years,

routinely and without special gear, so you can too. I put a couple of

quarts of whole milk (I'm my own farmer, happily) in a 4-qt crockpot,

cover it, set it on low and leave it for a couple of hours. First

time/s you do it you want to check the temp and get a feel for how fast

your own equipment heats. After about 2 hours I turn it off, and leave

it sit to cool to barely warm. Then I stir in the leftover yogurt; a

whisk helps stir it in smoothly. Put the cover back on and wrap it in a

heavy bath towel or the like, leave it till morning (or whatever, about

7-8 hours minimum usually), check and see if it's set up about the way

you like it....leave longer for thicker/more tart. When it's how you

like it, you're done.

I have messed up just about every way possible over the years but have

never had to throw out a batch. One time a son was in an auto accident

and I was called away from the house and didn't get back until the next

day, having totally forgotten the milk in the crockpot was still heating

(lucky I didn't burn the house down but at least scared me bad enough

that I always have it on my mind now!) and the milk was we could say,

cooked til done. Overdone, actually. But I cooled it, thinking I'd

just give it to the chickens, added part of the yogurt I had left (kept

some back in case the cooked batch was really horrid) and let it set

up. Caramel yogurt! Actually was good enough that the kids asked for

it many times after that. So messed up is not always ruined.

SJ

SJ

This is true with most yogurts, but with these " countertop " varieties, heating

the milk will kill the culture. They are only formed at room temperature.

~katie

> > culture that will last as long as you are able to take care of it

> Any healthy yogurt culture will pretty much last as long as you take

> care of it...

I ordered mine dried on an organic cotton ball to avoid the weather changes.

The first batch is only about 1/4 cup to get it going, then you use that to

start making your quarts. You could also just buy one type of the yogurt and

still split the lower cost, since you will be able to make an unlimited supply.

I made yogurt for any of my friends who wanted it so they could start making

their own. But if you go to his actual website, or look at his other auctions,

he explains it in much more detail. ~katie

>

> Do you remember how much you get? Enough to start a quart each maybe? I

> asked a co-worker if she would like to split it with me. I figured if each

> flavor made a quart and I split it then I could make 2 cups each and have a

> starter going.

>

> *Rena*

It seems I shouldn't complain about spending 40.00 for five yogurt cultures then

as I can spend that much in a month on Fage and Chiobani. The cultures will last

a lifetime. Well.. I am 55 so at Least 30 years.

•Robbin

On Jan 26, 2012, at 8:40 PM, sjc <indexer@...> wrote:

> On 1/26/2012 8:08 PM, Velda wrote:

>> culture that will last as long as you are able to take care of it

> Any healthy yogurt culture will pretty much last as long as you take

> care of it. I'm still using a culture that was the commonly-used yogurt

> in my family when I was a child (and I'm well past retirement age now,

> drat it). The only break in my usage occurred when the house burned to

> the ground, but I just copped some from one of my sons...it all came

> from a 1/2 cup of yogurt I took with me to school in the 50s. We've

> been using the same kefir culture since 1969, too.

>

> One reason a culture will " change " is that people sometimes don't heat

> their milk before cooling and inoculating it with the culture. Heating

> the milk a bit kills off the cultures already in the milk, so that the

> one you are using to inoculate it gets the upper hand and doesn't have

> competition from others that existed in the milk before heating. It's

> all a personal choice, but in order to keep a culture (relatively)

> unadulterated, heat the milk to ~185° first (and of course cool it

> before adding your culture).

>

> Don't be afraid of all the long drawn-out instructions you see for

> making yogurt. People have been doing it for thousands of years,

> routinely and without special gear, so you can too. I put a couple of

> quarts of whole milk (I'm my own farmer, happily) in a 4-qt crockpot,

> cover it, set it on low and leave it for a couple of hours. First

> time/s you do it you want to check the temp and get a feel for how fast

> your own equipment heats. After about 2 hours I turn it off, and leave

> it sit to cool to barely warm. Then I stir in the leftover yogurt; a

> whisk helps stir it in smoothly. Put the cover back on and wrap it in a

> heavy bath towel or the like, leave it till morning (or whatever, about

> 7-8 hours minimum usually), check and see if it's set up about the way

> you like it....leave longer for thicker/more tart. When it's how you

> like it, you're done.

>

> I have messed up just about every way possible over the years but have

> never had to throw out a batch. One time a son was in an auto accident

> and I was called away from the house and didn't get back until the next

> day, having totally forgotten the milk in the crockpot was still heating

> (lucky I didn't burn the house down but at least scared me bad enough

> that I always have it on my mind now!) and the milk was we could say,

> cooked til done. Overdone, actually. But I cooled it, thinking I'd

> just give it to the chickens, added part of the yogurt I had left (kept

> some back in case the cooked batch was really horrid) and let it set

> up. Caramel yogurt! Actually was good enough that the kids asked for

> it many times after that. So messed up is not always ruined.

>

> SJ

>

> SJ

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

> Please bookmark these pages:

>

> /links/

> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes,

and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)

>

>

/links/IMPORTANT_VitamixE\

nthusiasts_Membership__001327149393/

> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you

unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of

Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from

coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page

and read messages online!

I know the information said you get enough to make one cup of each if you buy the sampler. You can purchase individual types as well. I like the idea of the sampler though. , do you use mason jars? •Robbin On Jan 26, 2012, at 8:05 PM, Rena Glubay <jp17aday@...> wrote:

Do you remember how much you get? Enough to start a quart each maybe? I asked a co-worker if she would like to split it with me. I figured if each flavor made a quart and I split it then I could make 2 cups each and have a starter going.

RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God.

Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 5:59 PM, Kat Rat <katratvet@...> wrote:

It does seem high, but when you consider you are getting a culture that will last as long as you are able to take care of it, its pretty cheap! I had one going for 4 years. Think of what 4 years of yogurt would have cost me when we eat a quart every two days. You can buy them individually though for less. I just sent the 5 pack so everyone could see what kinds they offer. ~katie

>

> Is 40.00 for the five cultures a bit high? I do not know the going rate of these types of things.

Oh.  Thanks for that.  I guess I didn't read the fine print - LOL!Rena

If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 8:41 PM, Robbin <diciacco1@...> wrote:

I know the information said you get enough to make one cup of each if you buy the sampler.  You can purchase individual types as well. I like the idea of the sampler though. , do you use mason jars? 

•Robbin 

I read again. The sampler makes 1/2 cup each. The individual cultures make 2 cups each. So the price is a bit high. •Robbin On Jan 26, 2012, at 10:52 PM, Rena Glubay <jp17aday@...> wrote:

Oh. Thanks for that. I guess I didn't read the fine print - LOL!Rena

If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

I know the information said you get enough to make one cup of each if you buy the sampler. You can purchase individual types as well. I like the idea of the sampler though. , do you use mason jars?

•Robbin

you start with that 1/2 cup, that will take 12-24 hours to make that batch.... then you can split up that 1/2 cup 2 ways & make 2 quarts .. that wont take long at all to get it going! if you were to buy them individually it would cost you about $47-$60 plus shipping so really its not too bad a deal Patti From: Robbin <diciacco1@...> " " < > Cc: " " < > Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:54 PM Subject: Re: Re: : Yogurt

I read again. The sampler makes 1/2 cup each. The individual cultures make 2 cups each. So the price is a bit high. •Robbin On Jan 26, 2012, at 10:52 PM, Rena Glubay <jp17aday@...> wrote:

Oh. Thanks for that. I guess I didn't read the fine print - LOL!Rena

If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

I know the information said you get enough to make one cup of each if you buy the sampler. You can purchase individual types as well. I like the idea of the sampler though. , do you use mason jars?

•Robbin

The regular sampler makes a cup each.  The dried sampler makes 1/2 cup.  Rena

If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 8:54 PM, Robbin <diciacco1@...> wrote:

I read again. The sampler makes 1/2 cup each.  The individual cultures make 2 cups each. So the price is a bit high. •Robbin On Jan 26, 2012, at 10:52 PM, Rena Glubay <jp17aday@...> wrote:

Oh.  Thanks for that.  I guess I didn't read the fine print - LOL!Rena

I know the information said you get enough to make one cup of each if you buy the sampler.  You can purchase individual types as well. I like the idea of the sampler though. , do you use mason jars? 

•Robbin 

How about if one person bought the collection, splitting the cost, then

bought milk and made to the point of making quarts and split the first

quart of each? Seems like that would work, if the other person has

patience to wait for each to be made, or you could each make a couple of

the types and split the first quarts?

Velda

On 1/26/2012 7:04 PM, Kat Rat wrote:

> I ordered mine dried on an organic cotton ball to avoid the weather changes.

The first batch is only about 1/4 cup to get it going, then you use that to

start making your quarts. You could also just buy one type of the yogurt and

still split the lower cost, since you will be able to make an unlimited supply.

I made yogurt for any of my friends who wanted it so they could start making

their own. But if you go to his actual website, or look at his other auctions,

he explains it in much more detail. ~katie

>

>

>

>

>

>> Do you remember how much you get? Enough to start a quart each maybe? I

>> asked a co-worker if she would like to split it with me. I figured if each

>> flavor made a quart and I split it then I could make 2 cups each and have a

>> starter going.

>>

>> *Rena*

Still, with countertop yogurts, this is unnecessary. ~katie

> > heating the milk will kill the culture.

> The milk is heated and then cooled before the culture is added.

>

> SJ

>

Yes, I use mason jars. You don't want metal to touch the yogurt but the lids

never touch it so I've found it to work well. I use plastic or wooden spoons to

spoon it out. ~katie

>

> I know the information said you get enough to make one cup of each if you buy

the sampler. You can purchase individual types as well. I like the idea of the

sampler though.

>

> , do you use mason jars?