RemedySpot.com

Rich Roasted Tomato soup

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Here is the recipe I use exclusively in my VM to make tomato soup...It's from the food network, dArabian and where the directions say to carefully peel off the skins and discard? I do NOT...I figure the skin is where a lot of good STUFF is! I put it in quart mason jars, vacuum the air out and stick it in the freezer so I always have some on hand...Hope you enjoyConnie in FLRich Roasted Tomato Soup8 Roma tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise2 tablespoons olive oil, dividedKosher salt and freshly ground black pepper1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon water, divided1/2 onion, chopped2 cloves garlic, minced2 teaspoons dried herbes de provence2 cups chicken or vegetable stockSour cream or olive oil, for garnish, (optional)DirectionsPreheat the oven to 275 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, toss the tomatoes with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place the tomatoes, cut side down, on the prepared baking sheet and drizzle 1 tablespoon water over the tomatoes. Bake in the oven for 1 hour. Remove from the oven. Carefully peel off the skins and discard. Flip the tomatoes over so they're cut side up, and place back in the oven until the tomatoes are shriveled but not dry, another 30 to 60 minutes. Remove the tomatoes from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute the onion in the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over low heat until very soft, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the garlic and herbes de provence and cook until fragrant, another 1 to 2 minutes. Add the stock and remaining 1/2 cup water and bring to a simmer. Simmer 15 minutes. Cool slightly.In a blender, puree the tomatoes (including any cooking liquid on the baking sheet) and the stock mixture until very smooth. You may need to work in batches. Strain through a fine sieve if a very smooth texture is desired. Pour the soup back into the saucepan, season with salt and pepper, and heat gently. To serve, ladle into cups or bowls and top with either a swirl of olive oil or a little sour cream, if desired.

Thank you Connie!Best, Liane BarrSent from my iPhoneOn Jan 23, 2012, at 9:46 AM, Cee <bigapplebuckeye@...> wrote:

Here is the recipe I use exclusively in my VM to make tomato soup...It's from the food network, dArabian and where the directions say to carefully peel off the skins and discard? I do NOT...I figure the skin is where a lot of good STUFF is! I put it in quart mason jars, vacuum the air out and stick it in the freezer so I always have some on hand...Hope you enjoyConnie in FLRich Roasted Tomato Soup8 Roma tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise2 tablespoons olive oil, dividedKosher salt and freshly ground black pepper1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon water, divided1/2 onion, chopped2 cloves garlic, minced2 teaspoons dried herbes de provence2 cups chicken or vegetable stockSour cream or olive oil, for garnish, (optional)DirectionsPreheat the oven to 275 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, toss the tomatoes with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place the tomatoes, cut side down, on the prepared baking sheet and drizzle 1 tablespoon water over the tomatoes. Bake in the oven for 1 hour. Remove from the oven. Carefully peel off the skins and discard. Flip the tomatoes over so they're cut side up, and place back in the oven until the tomatoes are shriveled but not dry, another 30 to 60 minutes. Remove the tomatoes from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute the onion in the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over low heat until very soft, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the garlic and herbes de provence and cook until fragrant, another 1 to 2 minutes. Add the stock and remaining 1/2 cup water and bring to a simmer. Simmer 15 minutes. Cool slightly.In a blender, puree the tomatoes (including any cooking liquid on the baking sheet) and the stock mixture until very smooth. You may need to work in batches. Strain through a fine sieve if a very smooth texture is desired. Pour the soup back into the saucepan, season with salt and pepper, and heat gently. To serve, ladle into cups or bowls and top with either a swirl of olive oil or a little sour cream, if desired.

Is there a reason to roast the tomatoes on such a low temp?

>

> Here is the recipe I use exclusively in my VM to make tomato soup...It's from

the food network, dArabian and where the directions say to carefully

peel off the skins and discard? I do NOT...I figure the skin is where a lot of

good STUFF is! I put it in quart mason jars, vacuum the air out and stick it in

the freezer so I always have some on hand...Hope you enjoy

> Connie in FL

> Rich Roasted Tomato Soup

> 8 Roma tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise

> 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided

> Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

> 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon water, divided

> 1/2 onion, chopped

> 2 cloves garlic, minced

> 2 teaspoons dried herbes de provence

> 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock

> Sour cream or olive oil, for garnish, (optional)

> Directions

> Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a bowl, toss the tomatoes with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, and pepper.

Place the tomatoes, cut side down, on the prepared baking sheet and drizzle 1

tablespoon water over the tomatoes. Bake in the oven for 1 hour. Remove from the

oven. Carefully peel off the skins and discard. Flip the tomatoes over so

they're cut side up, and place back in the oven until the tomatoes are shriveled

but not dry, another 30 to 60 minutes. Remove the tomatoes from the oven and

allow to cool slightly. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute the onion in the

remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over low heat until very soft, 10 to 12

minutes. Add the garlic and herbes de provence and cook until fragrant, another

1 to 2 minutes. Add the stock and remaining 1/2 cup water and bring to a simmer.

Simmer 15 minutes. Cool slightly.

>

> In a blender, puree the tomatoes (including any cooking liquid on the baking

sheet) and the stock mixture until very smooth. You may need to work in batches.

Strain through a fine sieve if a very smooth texture is desired. Pour the soup

back into the saucepan, season with salt and pepper, and heat gently. To serve,

ladle into cups or bowls and top with either a swirl of olive oil or a little

sour cream, if desired.

>

Is there a reason to roast the tomatoes on such a low temp?This is just a GUESS , but i'm thinking that the low temp will keep much of the juices from evaporating in higher heat and enrich the tomato flavor. I grew my own campari tomatoes last summer and used this recipe on those delicious red darlings...HTHConnie in FL

Roasting tomatoes brings out the lycopene in them. - RobbinOn Jan 24, 2012, at 9:38 AM, Cee <bigapplebuckeye@...> wrote:

Is there a reason to roast the tomatoes on such a low temp?This is just a GUESS , but i'm thinking that the low temp will keep much of the juices from evaporating in higher heat and enrich the tomato flavor. I grew my own campari tomatoes last summer and used this recipe on those delicious red darlings...HTHConnie in FL