RemedySpot.com

Re: Vita-Mix 5000

Rate this topic

Guest guest

On Jan 17, 2012, at 4:26 PM, kuby2u wrote:Hi everyone,HOWDY and WELCOME!I'm so excited to have found this list. I've used my VM for soups, spreads, making cornmeal out of pop corn, and of course smoothies.We are happy to have you! You're quite a pro, but hopefully, we'll get you using your machine in EVEN MORE WAYS! :-)My first question is what is the difference between the 5000 and the 5200?For the most part, they perform the same. The 5000 does not have a BPA-free container (that can be guaranteed BPA-free, but I was never concerned about using my 5000 container as it takes REALLY high heat to pull the BPA out of polycarbonate. The 5200 has soft-grip handles, and a new, easier to remove lid. The motor in the 5200 is made in Switzerland, and runs cooler, but not faster. That's about it.Second: When using the dry container to make cornmeal, I have to sift it through strainer and I do get pieces that don't get chopped. Any tips for preventing this or lessening it?I'll have to defer to (she makes a lot of grains in the VM). I've made a lot of corn meal in my VM and blending longer does make a finer meal, and get the pieces smaller, but I've always had a few stray bigger pieces.Third: Is there a shelf life for whole wheat kernels? I have some in a bag in my cabinet that is more then 6 yrs old.I absolutely have to defer to on this one. How are they stored (preserved?)Here is a Google search for, "shelf life of wheat berries"http://www.google.com/search?client=safari & rls=en & q=shelf+life+of+wheat+berries & ie=UTF-8 & oe=UTF-8Fourth: Is the VitaMix recommended for grounding/chopping meat such as beef or pork?Sure is!!!https://www.vitamix.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content & view=article & id=83 & Itemid=99 (video #48)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMB-qTfD-5shttp://www.ehow.com/how_7819390_chop-meat-vitamix.htmlThanks in advance for input.You are WELCOME! :-)Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

I posted my comments below Lea Ann'sSent from my iPadOn Jan 17, 2012, at 5:16 PM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

On Jan 17, 2012, at 4:26 PM, kuby2u wrote:Hi everyone,HOWDY and WELCOME!I'm so excited to have found this list. I've used my VM for soups, spreads, making cornmeal out of pop corn, and of course smoothies.We are happy to have you! You're quite a pro, but hopefully, we'll get you using your machine in EVEN MORE WAYS! :-)My first question is what is the difference between the 5000 and the 5200?For the most part, they perform the same. The 5000 does not have a BPA-free container (that can be guaranteed BPA-free, but I was never concerned about using my 5000 container as it takes REALLY high heat to pull the BPA out of polycarbonate. The 5200 has soft-grip handles, and a new, easier to remove lid. The motor in the 5200 is made in Switzerland, and runs cooler, but not faster. That's about it.Second: When using the dry container to make cornmeal, I have to sift it through strainer and I do get pieces that don't get chopped. Any tips for preventing this or lessening it?I'll have to defer to (she makes a lot of grains in the VM). I've made a lot of corn meal in my VM and blending longer does make a finer meal, and get the pieces smaller, but I've always had a few stray bigger pieces.BRENDA COMMENTARY: How much are you putting in at a time? With small grains, such as rice, you can fill the container about half way per batch for a course grind, little less for a finer grind. My guess is you HAVE been using old popcorn, which is past its shelf life and won't grind as well as fresh grains. Third: Is there a shelf life for whole wheat kernels? I have some in a bag in my cabinet that is more then 6 yrs old.I absolutely have to defer to on this one. How are they stored (preserved?)Here is a Google search for, "shelf life of wheat berries"http://www.google.com/search?client=safari & rls=en & q=shelf+life+of+wheat+berries & ie=UTF-8 & oe=UTF-8BRENDA COMMENTARY: Keep in mind that most grains are stored for YEARS in silos or storage facilities. When they are repackaged for sale, they are often already sort of old. I recommend storing ALL grains in your freezer, where they will stay "fresher" longer. Using old grains will make them grind less evenly. If you want to have some fun and REALLY fresh grains, grow your own popcorn in a container-VERY easy to grow, satisfying to watch, and inexpensive!! I grow Japanese popcorn, which makes little ears that you can pop the whole ear with-good fun!Fourth: Is the VitaMix recommended for grounding/chopping meat such as beef or pork?Sure is!!!https://www.vitamix.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content & view=article & id=83 & Itemid=99 (video #48)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMB-qTfD-5shttp://www.ehow.com/how_7819390_chop-meat-vitamix.htmlThanks in advance for input.You are WELCOME! :-)Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

and Lea Ann,

First of all, thank you for such quick and through responses.

> BRENDA COMMENTARY: How much are you putting in at a time? With small grains,

such as rice, you can fill the container about half way per batch for a course

grind, little less for a finer grind. My guess is you HAVE been using old

popcorn, which is past its shelf life and won't grind as well as fresh grains.

, the popcorn was sealed and fairly new from the store. I couldn't find a

'use-by' date, so for all I know, it could be old. It was jumbo popcorn. I

bought a giant sealed pop corn from costco which is regular size. As far as the

amount I put in the container, I did it in 1/2 cup portions. How long is the

longest you can grind?

>

> BRENDA COMMENTARY: Keep in mind that most grains are stored for YEARS in

silos or storage facilities. When they are repackaged for sale, they are often

already sort of old. I recommend storing ALL grains in your freezer, where they

will stay " fresher " longer. Using old grains will make them grind less evenly.

If you want to have some fun and REALLY fresh grains, grow your own popcorn in

a container-VERY easy to grow, satisfying to watch, and inexpensive!! I grow

Japanese popcorn, which makes little ears that you can pop the whole ear

with-good fun!

Will the wheat have a funny smell or anything while I'm grinding it if it is

bad?

Lea Ann: I just love your videos! You and are really an inspiration.

Thanks!

Kuby

http://kuby2u.wordpress.com

You are most welcome! It actually sounds like you aren't using ENOUGH in the

container at a time-too little will sort of bounce some of the grains around.

And are you using the DRY container? (it has different blades) If so, fill it

to just under half way, turn it on and let it do its thing-you will know it is

done when you quit hearing little clicks of the grains blending, and the motor

will sound like it is straining just a bit. Probably only about 20 seconds or

so, but maybe a bit longer...it wont hurt it to run longer-Vitamix can take it!!

As for wheat (or any other grain), just inspect it well, smell it-you are

inspecting for bugs or vermin. Smell to see if it smells rancid (distinct

smell, you WILL know when you come across that, lol) If it looks and smells

good UNGROUND, sniff it again after grinding-it should smell earthy and

floury-rather a pleasant smell actually. If it is rancid, it will smell sort of

soured and a bit like a wet dog :( If you are NOT using a dry container, I

HIGHLY recommend ordering one from Lea Ann-makes the world of difference for

grains. It will do grains, seeds, nuts, legumes, dried peas, herbs, coffee,

etc-a worthy investment indeed!

>

> and Lea Ann,

>

> First of all, thank you for such quick and through responses.

>

>

> > BRENDA COMMENTARY: How much are you putting in at a time? With small

grains, such as rice, you can fill the container about half way per batch for a

course grind, little less for a finer grind. My guess is you HAVE been using

old popcorn, which is past its shelf life and won't grind as well as fresh

grains.

>

> , the popcorn was sealed and fairly new from the store. I couldn't find

a 'use-by' date, so for all I know, it could be old. It was jumbo popcorn. I

bought a giant sealed pop corn from costco which is regular size. As far as the

amount I put in the container, I did it in 1/2 cup portions. How long is the

longest you can grind?

>

> >

> > BRENDA COMMENTARY: Keep in mind that most grains are stored for YEARS in

silos or storage facilities. When they are repackaged for sale, they are often

already sort of old. I recommend storing ALL grains in your freezer, where they

will stay " fresher " longer. Using old grains will make them grind less evenly.

If you want to have some fun and REALLY fresh grains, grow your own popcorn in

a container-VERY easy to grow, satisfying to watch, and inexpensive!! I grow

Japanese popcorn, which makes little ears that you can pop the whole ear

with-good fun!

>

> Will the wheat have a funny smell or anything while I'm grinding it if it is

bad?

>

> Lea Ann: I just love your videos! You and are really an inspiration.

Thanks!

>

> Kuby

> http://kuby2u.wordpress.com

>