RemedySpot.com

RE: Re: Kefir/Russian Kefir

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I also do the Russian Kefir MMMMMM I love the stuff!!!!Patti From: hatchjoyce <Joyce_Handy@...> Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:14 PM Subject: Re: Kefir/Russian Kefir

Someone may have mentioned this; I didn't have time to go through the whole post, but I use Russian Kefir culture; you use it to "inoculate"

your milk and it works at room temp if your room is warm enough (my kitchen is too cold.) You just save some and use it to make the next batch--just like yogurt.

Here is a link on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RUSSIAN-KEFIR-CARE-FREE-CULTURE-/270383314514?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0 & hash=item3ef419f652#ht_2337wt_1139

take care,

Joyce

> >

> > This one is aimed at or anyone that can help! I know I can

> > use any kind of milk to make kefir in any quantity, however.... I am

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > --

> > Kathy

> >

> >

> >

>

I love kefir..not sure I understand what Russian Kefir is...?? How does it improve on the original?KathyMOn Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 7:00 PM, patti <patti720@...> wrote:

I also do the Russian Kefir MMMMMM I love the stuff!!!!

Patti 

Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:14 PM

Subject: Re: Kefir/Russian Kefir

Someone may have mentioned this; I didn't have time to go through the whole post, but I use Russian Kefir culture; you use it to " inoculate "

your milk and it works at room temp if your room is warm enough (my kitchen is too cold.) You just save some and use it to make the next batch--just like yogurt.

Here is a link on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RUSSIAN-KEFIR-CARE-FREE-CULTURE-/270383314514?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0 & hash=item3ef419f652#ht_2337wt_1139

take care,

Joyce

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > --

> > Kathy

> >

> >

> >

>

-- Kathy

it tastes the same basically.. but there are no grains, you save a portion from the previous batch & treat the same as you would kefir w/ grains. Patti From: Kathy M <spiritfire7@...> Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:55 PM Subject: Re: Re: Kefir/Russian Kefir

I love kefir..not sure I understand what Russian Kefir is...?? How does it improve on the original?KathyMOn Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 7:00 PM, patti <patti720@...> wrote:

Patti

Someone may have mentioned this; I didn't have time to go through the whole post, but I use Russian Kefir culture; you use it to "inoculate"

take care,

Joyce

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > --

> > Kathy

> >

> >

> >

>

-- Kathy

Thanks I was just looking for it online to see what it is but could not find it.KathyMOn Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 8:00 PM, patti <patti720@...> wrote:

it tastes the same basically.. but there are no grains, you save a portion from the previous batch & treat the same as you would kefir w/ grains. 

Patti

Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:55 PM Subject: Re: Re: Kefir/Russian Kefir

Patti 

Someone may have mentioned this; I didn't have time to go through the whole post, but I use Russian Kefir culture; you use it to " inoculate "

take care,

Joyce

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > --

> > Kathy

> >

> >

> >

>

-- Kathy

-- Kathy

What is he best brand of kefir ? I have. Ever had it. The 17 day diet suggests it •Robbin On Jan 24, 2012, at 7:55 PM, Kathy M <spiritfire7@...> wrote:

Patti

take care,

Joyce

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > --

> > Kathy

> >

> >

> >

>

-- Kathy

Where does Russian kefir come from?•Robbin On Jan 24, 2012, at 7:00 PM, patti <patti720@...> wrote:

I also do the Russian Kefir MMMMMM I love the stuff!!!!Patti From: hatchjoyce <Joyce_Handy@...> Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:14 PM Subject: Re: Kefir/Russian Kefir

take care,

Joyce

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > --

> > Kathy

> >

> >

> >

>

I have never rated any let alone know how to make it. What is a good recipe? Sorry but I have no clue.I'm 55, had thyroid cancer in 2011 and need to lose 40 pounds. It's never too late to learn . I bought a Vitamix and trying to eat right. M- RobbinOn Jan 24, 2012, at 10:43 PM, " Beth E" <ericsons@...> wrote:

Hi robbin. When my daily digest mass email came in tonight you hadn't gotten a reply so i thot i'd chime in.

I've never purchased 'branded' store-bought kefir. I know among those who kefir, it is considered inferior to the home-fermented.

There used to be (maybe a couple of years ago) a lady on this list named Godrun. She was kind enough to share her milk kefir grains with me and I have to say, they made the best tasting kefir ever. you can get grains on ebay and from a lot of sources, but her's really were terrific.

Hope that helps.

Beth

> > > >

> > > > This one is aimed at or anyone that can help! I know I can

> > > > use any kind of milk to make kefir in any quantity, however.... I am

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > --

> > > > Kathy

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > --

> > Kathy

> >

>

with regular kefir you have to buy kefir grains (you can look on ebay or etsy.com & search kefir grains)... when you get them you add them to milk.. set on your kitchen counter for 12 to 24 hours, strain to get your kefir grains, put the strained kefir in the fridge & viola! you have kefir! Then you start the process again.. very easy! and good for you! Patti From: Robbin <diciacco1@...> " " < > Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 11:12 PM Subject: Re: Re: Kefir/Russian Kefir

I have never rated any let alone know how to make it. What is a good recipe? Sorry but I have no clue.I'm 55, had thyroid cancer in 2011 and need to lose 40 pounds. It's never too late to learn . I bought a Vitamix and trying to eat right. M- RobbinOn Jan 24, 2012, at 10:43 PM, " Beth E" <ericsons@...> wrote:

Hi robbin. When my daily digest mass email came in tonight you hadn't gotten a reply so i thot i'd chime in.

I've never purchased 'branded' store-bought kefir. I know among those who kefir, it is considered inferior to the home-fermented.

There used to be (maybe a couple of years ago) a lady on this list named Godrun. She was kind enough to share her milk kefir grains with me and I have to say, they made the best tasting kefir ever. you can get grains on ebay and from a lot of sources, but her's really were terrific.

Hope that helps.

Beth

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > --

> > > > Kathy

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > --

> > Kathy

> >

>

It is quite easy. No shaking or banging a bag? I was reading how Kefir was made a long time ago. In goat skin bags and you had to come by and shake it daily. People would pass the bag and hit it. I'm going to search today but I wonder if I should try a purchased bottle first. What if I don't like it?Any particular milk you like?•Robbin On Jan 25, 2012, at 7:14 AM, patti <patti720@...> wrote:

with regular kefir you have to buy kefir grains (you can look on ebay or etsy.com & search kefir grains)... when you get them you add them to milk.. set on your kitchen counter for 12 to 24 hours, strain to get your kefir grains, put the strained kefir in the fridge & viola! you have kefir! Then you start the process again.. very easy! and good for you! Patti From: Robbin <diciacco1@...> " " < > Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 11:12 PM Subject: Re: Re: Kefir/Russian Kefir

Hope that helps.

Beth

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > --

> > > > Kathy

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > --

> > Kathy

> >

>

One more question- 12-24 hours is a big time difference. If I have never had kefir or made it, how will I know when it's done?•Robbin On Jan 25, 2012, at 7:14 AM, patti <patti720@...> wrote:

Hope that helps.

Beth

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > --

> > > > Kathy

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > --

> > Kathy

> >

>

And how much kefir grains to how much milk?•Robbin On Jan 25, 2012, at 7:14 AM, patti <patti720@...> wrote:

Hope that helps.

Beth

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > --

> > > > Kathy

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > --

> > Kathy

> >

>

Hi Everyone,

I am in South East MI and have been making kefir for a few months. If you want to get some grains, I can tell you where to get them for free if you are in the area. I don't strain mine, I just remove my grains each time. Thus, I don't have any to personally share right now.

Let me know if you would like some. These are for local pick-ups only. These folks don't ship grains.

(I have a website link somewhere that has a list of people who offer water or dairy grains FREE anywhere in the U.S. I just have to find it.)

<:))))><

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of RobbinSent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:23 AM Subject: Re: Re: Kefir/Russian Kefir

It is quite easy. No shaking or banging a bag? I was reading how Kefir was made a long time ago. In goat skin bags and you had to come by and shake it daily. People would pass the bag and hit it.

I'm going to search today but I wonder if I should try a purchased bottle first. What if I don't like it?

Any particular milk you like?•Robbin

On Jan 25, 2012, at 7:14 AM, patti <patti720@...> wrote:

with regular kefir you have to buy kefir grains (you can look on ebay or etsy.com & search kefir grains)... when you get them you add them to milk.. set on your kitchen counter for 12 to 24 hours, strain to get your kefir grains, put the strained kefir in the fridge & viola! you have kefir! Then you start the process again.. very easy! and good for you!

Patti

From: Robbin <diciacco1@...>" " < > Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 11:12 PMSubject: Re: Re: Kefir/Russian Kefir

I have never rated any let alone know how to make it. What is a good recipe? Sorry but I have no clue.

I'm 55, had thyroid cancer in 2011 and need to lose 40 pounds. It's never too late to learn . I bought a Vitamix and trying to eat right. M- Robbin

On Jan 24, 2012, at 10:43 PM, " Beth E" <ericsons@...> wrote:

Hi robbin. When my daily digest mass email came in tonight you hadn't gotten a reply so i thot i'd chime in.I've never purchased 'branded' store-bought kefir. I know among those who kefir, it is considered inferior to the home-fermented.There used to be (maybe a couple of years ago) a lady on this list named Godrun. She was kind enough to share her milk kefir grains with me and I have to say, they made the best tasting kefir ever. you can get grains on ebay and from a lot of sources, but her's really were terrific.Hope that helps. Beth> > > >> > > > This one is aimed at or anyone that can help! I know I can> > > > use any kind of milk to make kefir in any quantity, however.... I am> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > > -- > > > > Kathy> > > >> > > >> > > >> > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > Kathy > >>

Could you share the recipes for the juice...ratios,timing and such.KathyMOn Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Beth E <ericsons@...> wrote:

Hi Robbin. sorry I'm so late to reply, but I'm on the daily digest so I only get msgs a couple of times a day.

Kefir is easy, as I saw someone already explained. The difficult part is just as you've said, trying this new, very vague process with little to no diretion--when we've all gotten used to having everything explained very explicitly. Usually a couple of tablespoons per big jar of milk. But the more grains you use the faster it kefirs. Also, the warmer your kitchen the faster it kefirs. So you just have to occaissionally stir and taste and when it gets to a flavor you like, remove the grains.

No banging, but I do stir mine every few hours. This also helps to test readiness.

Ferment in glass. You can use metal utensils to strain, but you don't want prolonged exposure of grains/kefir to metal.

Do not rinse them with chlorinated water, as beneficially microbes are lost. If you must, rinse them with milk.

You can use any type of milk you like...organic, raw, goat, cow, whatever.

I also make kefir soda, which is a completely different thing and grains are added to fruit juice/water to make a bubbly soda like concoction.

Regarding your age-- I got my mom into it (she's 60) and she loved it. Made kefir cottage cheese, kefir cream cheese, etc. Was really good for her GI tract, which is totally a mess. She learned a lot from Dom's site (he's considered the 'king of kefir' by a lot of people and his site includes directions for making pretty much every imaginable product from kefir). Just be ware that there have been concerns that he does not always follow thru on orders. Finally there is also a kefir group that you can join for more good info.

Hope thtat helps a alittle.

Beth

>

> > with regular kefir you have to buy kefir grains (you can look on ebay or etsy.com & search kefir grains)... when you get them you add them to milk.. set on your kitchen counter for 12 to 24 hours, strain to get your kefir grains, put the strained kefir in the fridge & viola!  you have kefir!  Then you start the process again.. very easy! and good for you!

> >

> >

> > Patti

> >

> >

>

------------------------------------

Please bookmark these pages:

/links/

(this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)

/links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/

PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL!  (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom!  Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!

Thank you, Beth, you are a blessing in my life. •Robbin On Jan 25, 2012, at 11:31 AM, Kathy M <spiritfire7@...> wrote:

Could you share the recipes for the juice...ratios,timing and such.KathyMOn Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Beth E <ericsons@...> wrote:

Hi Robbin. sorry I'm so late to reply, but I'm on the daily digest so I only get msgs a couple of times a day.

Kefir is easy, as I saw someone already explained. The difficult part is just as you've said, trying this new, very vague process with little to no diretion--when we've all gotten used to having everything explained very explicitly. Usually a couple of tablespoons per big jar of milk. But the more grains you use the faster it kefirs. Also, the warmer your kitchen the faster it kefirs. So you just have to occaissionally stir and taste and when it gets to a flavor you like, remove the grains.

No banging, but I do stir mine every few hours. This also helps to test readiness.

Ferment in glass. You can use metal utensils to strain, but you don't want prolonged exposure of grains/kefir to metal.

Do not rinse them with chlorinated water, as beneficially microbes are lost. If you must, rinse them with milk.

You can use any type of milk you like...organic, raw, goat, cow, whatever.

I also make kefir soda, which is a completely different thing and grains are added to fruit juice/water to make a bubbly soda like concoction.

Regarding your age-- I got my mom into it (she's 60) and she loved it. Made kefir cottage cheese, kefir cream cheese, etc. Was really good for her GI tract, which is totally a mess. She learned a lot from Dom's site (he's considered the 'king of kefir' by a lot of people and his site includes directions for making pretty much every imaginable product from kefir). Just be ware that there have been concerns that he does not always follow thru on orders. Finally there is also a kefir group that you can join for more good info.

Hope thtat helps a alittle.

Beth

>

> > with regular kefir you have to buy kefir grains (you can look on ebay or etsy.com & search kefir grains)... when you get them you add them to milk.. set on your kitchen counter for 12 to 24 hours, strain to get your kefir grains, put the strained kefir in the fridge & viola! you have kefir! Then you start the process again.. very easy! and good for you!

> >

> >

> > Patti

> >

> >

>

------------------------------------

Please bookmark these pages:

/links/

(this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)

/links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/

PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!