RemedySpot.com

Re: Storing nut butters

Rate this topic

Guest guest

If you store them on the counter, the oil will rise to the top over time, and the nuts will go rancid at a more rapid rate. If you think you are going to finish the nut butter in let's say one to two weeks, I see no problem leaving it on the counter. The warmer it is in your house, the quicker the oil will rise to the top (and you'll have to stir it back in). But, stirring a tiny bit of oil back into a nut butter that was made fresh, is nothing compared to stirring the oil back into nut butter that has been sitting on a store shelf for months and is brick hard at the bottom!Nut butters can also be stored in the fridge for a LONG time (months really) and the oil doesn't separate and the rate of turning rancid is greatly reduced.While I'm at it, I want to explain about coconut butter storage. Coconut butter is different from nut butters. If it is left on the counter, the oil will rise to the top, but it won't go rancid for a very long time. Here is a paragraph I got from a website http://coconut-info.com/coconut_oil_why_it_is_good_for_you.htm on the stability of coconut oil:Unsaturated oils in cooked foods become rancid in just a few hours, even in the refrigerator, one reason for the "stale" taste of leftovers. However, according to Peat, eating fresh unsaturated fats is even worse, because once inside the body, they will oxidize (turn rancid) very rapidly due to being heated and mixed with oxygen. Not so with coconut oil. Even after one year at room temperature, coconut oil shows no evidence of rancidity even though it contains 9% linoleic (omega - 6) polyunsaturated acid. Peat theorizes that coconut oil may have antioxidant properties, since the oil doesn't turn rancid and since it reduces our need for vitamin E, whereas unsaturated oils deplete vitamin E.If you put coconut butter in the fridge it will solidify (it solidifies at 76°). I used to leave my coconut butter on the counter and eat it by the spoon full. Now I like to solidify it and eat it like this: (pictures) /photos/album/1628065550/pic/list?mode=tn & order=ordinal & start=1 & dir=asc(thread) /message/20339Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Jan 21, 2012, at 12:14 PM, dilberthtml wrote:

can nut butters be stored on the counter or do they need to be refrigerated??

What if you turn the jar upside down and leave it there. In time the oil should work it's way up?

Lucille

Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2012 3:38 PM

Subject: Re: Storing nut butters

If you store them on the counter, the oil will rise to the top over time, and the nuts will go rancid at a more rapid rate. If you think you are going to finish the nut butter in let's say one to two weeks, I see no problem leaving it on the counter. The warmer it is in your house, the quicker the oil will rise to the top (and you'll have to stir it back in). But, stirring a tiny bit of oil back into a nut butter that was made fresh, is nothing compared to stirring the oil back into nut butter that has been sitting on a store shelf for months and is brick hard at the bottom!

Nut butters can also be stored in the fridge for a LONG time (months really) and the oil doesn't separate and the rate of turning rancid is greatly reduced.

While I'm at it, I want to explain about coconut butter storage. Coconut butter is different from nut butters. If it is left on the counter, the oil will rise to the top, but it won't go rancid for a very long time. Here is a paragraph I got from a website http://coconut-info.com/coconut_oil_why_it_is_good_for_you.htm on the stability of coconut oil:

Unsaturated oils in cooked foods become rancid in just a few hours, even in the refrigerator, one reason for the "stale" taste of leftovers. However, according to Peat, eating fresh unsaturated fats is even worse, because once inside the body, they will oxidize (turn rancid) very rapidly due to being heated and mixed with oxygen. Not so with coconut oil. Even after one year at room temperature, coconut oil shows no evidence of rancidity even though it contains 9% linoleic (omega - 6) polyunsaturated acid. Peat theorizes that coconut oil may have antioxidant properties, since the oil doesn't turn rancid and since it reduces our need for vitamin E, whereas unsaturated oils deplete vitamin E.

If you put coconut butter in the fridge it will solidify (it solidifies at 76°). I used to leave my coconut butter on the counter and eat it by the spoon full. Now I like to solidify it and eat it like this:

(pictures) /photos/album/1628065550/pic/list?mode=tn & order=ordinal & start=1 & dir=asc

(thread) /message/20339

Blessings,

Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Jan 21, 2012, at 12:14 PM, dilberthtml wrote:

can nut butters be stored on the counter or do they need to be refrigerated??