RemedySpot.com

Re: Steaming Cauliflower

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Sure, Amy. I grow my own snowball cauliflower, so the heads are about the size of a baseball, and I just steam them whole, but when I use the bigger type cauli, I just break them in half (or cut them) then break the halves in half, then I steam them in my electric steamer (you can do them in any type steamer, or just simmer them in a pot with a little broth or water) I steam until they are JUST tender when pierced with a fork-they will continue to cook a bit when you take them out of the water or steamer. I put them straight from the pot into several mason jars, let those cool on a rack, then lid them and put them in the fridge. You can also easily microwave cauli, but I like the softness it gets from steaming, plus I like using the cooking liquid. You can also see my video on "ricing" cauliflower at http://www.mymealmasters.com in the "videos" link-once rices, you can steam it, boil it, nuke it, etc-cooks very quickly when riced, and the water leftover from ricing is DELICIOUS-very sweet, nice as just a drink, or added to soups or whatever.Sent from my iPadOn Jan 29, 2012, at 10:01 PM, Apricot043 <apricot043@...> wrote:

- do you mind telling me how you steam your cauliflower? Do you

cut it up first? Thanks.

Amy

wrote:

The stalk (core) of cauliflower is my favorite part! I slice it thinly,

and barely steam it, then I add the slices to my BOWL of soup, then pour

the Vitamixed soup over them-I like the texture of the stalk-best part,

if you ask me!

I meant to mention, I use a Nesco roaster oven to steam in-also use it for slow

cooking or reheating. You can see the kind I use in the webstore at

http://www.mymealmasters.com

I did have a double decker steamer, but am trying to avoid using plastics, so

switched to this and love it!

> The stalk (core) of cauliflower is my favorite part! I slice it thinly,

> and barely steam it, then I add the slices to my BOWL of soup, then pour

> the Vitamixed soup over them-I like the texture of the stalk-best part,

> if you ask me!

>

>

>

I have some silicone baking dishes I use to steam veggies in the microwave. I like them like that, it doesn't take long to do.

Lucille

Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2012 11:51 PM

Subject: Re: Steaming Cauliflower

Sure, Amy. I grow my own snowball cauliflower, so the heads are about the size of a baseball, and I just steam them whole, but when I use the bigger type cauli, I just break them in half (or cut them) then break the halves in half, then I steam them in my electric steamer (you can do them in any type steamer, or just simmer them in a pot with a little broth or water) I steam until they are JUST tender when pierced with a fork-they will continue to cook a bit when you take them out of the water or steamer. I put them straight from the pot into several mason jars, let those cool on a rack, then lid them and put them in the fridge. You can also easily microwave cauli, but I like the softness it gets from steaming, plus I like using the cooking liquid. You can also see my video on "ricing" cauliflower at http://www.mymealmasters.com in the "videos" link-once rices, you can steam it, boil it, nuke it, etc-cooks very quickly when riced, and the water leftover from ricing is DELICIOUS-very sweet, nice as just a drink, or added to soups or whatever.

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 29, 2012, at 10:01 PM, Apricot043 <apricot043@...> wrote:

- do you mind telling me how you steam your cauliflower? Do you cut it up first? Thanks.Amy wrote:The stalk (core) of cauliflower is my favorite part! I slice it thinly, and barely steam it, then I add the slices to my BOWL of soup, then pour the Vitamixed soup over them-I like the texture of the stalk-best part, if you ask me!

I have an old 4 quart Nesco oven. I haven't use it for a long time.

Lucille

--------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 12:02 AM

< >

>

> I meant to mention, I use a Nesco roaster oven to steam in-also use it for

> slow cooking or reheating. You can see the kind I use in the webstore at

> http://www.mymealmasters.com

> I did have a double decker steamer, but am trying to avoid using plastics,

> so switched to this and love it!

>

>

>

>

>> The stalk (core) of cauliflower is my favorite part! I slice it thinly,

>> and barely steam it, then I add the slices to my BOWL of soup, then pour

>> the Vitamixed soup over them-I like the texture of the stalk-best part,

>> if you ask me!

>>

>>

>>

>

>

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

> Please bookmark these pages:

>

> /links/

> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers,

> Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being

> added to)

>

>

/links/IMPORTANT_VitamixE\

nthusiasts_Membership__001327149393/

> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you

> unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of

> Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from

> coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the

> Links page and read messages online!

Here's a Cauliflower Creation you may enjoy. Click Here to view the video or go to:

Enjoy!> The stalk (core) of cauliflower is my favorite part! I slice it thinly, > and barely steam it, then I add the slices to my BOWL of soup, then pour > the Vitamixed soup over them-I like the texture of the stalk-best part, > if you ask me!> > >

I've made cauliflower like you would make mashed potatoes. Also did that with parsnips. Sometimes in making stews instead of potatoes I use parsnips.

Lucille

Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 6:21 AM

Here's a Cauliflower Creation you may enjoy. Click Here to view the video or go to:

Enjoy!> The stalk (core) of cauliflower is my favorite part! I slice it thinly, > and barely steam it, then I add the slices to my BOWL of soup, then pour > the Vitamixed soup over them-I like the texture of the stalk-best part, > if you ask me!> >