RemedySpot.com

Re: First recipe - Chia Seed Chocolate Milk Shake

Rate this topic

Guest guest

yummy Diane!~ I just got a Vitamix this week & have not tried it with the chia seeds.. My usual breakfast would have been 2 T of chia seeds & top with some water till thick.. then i added some chocolate almond milk & then add stevia to taste. I will definitely have to put this in the vitamix & see what the outcome is!! sounds divine~~~ thanks for sharing :) Patti

From: Diane Kolack <dkolack@...> Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 8:29 PM Subject: First recipe - Chia Seed Chocolate Milk Shake

My Vitamix arrived in the mail today and I knew the first recipe I'd

try would have to be chocolate.This was too liquid to be considered a

frozen dessert but it is a fantastic milk shake. Chia seeds are really

high in omegas and are also a thickener and high in fiber.

Chocolate Chia Milk Shake

2 Tbsp Chia Seeds

1/4 c Lowfat Milk

3 Tbsp Cocoa Powder

1 Tbsp Hazelnut Agave (or any sweetener would probably work)

4 ice cubes

1. Stir chia seeds into cold milk and allow to thicken for a few minutes.

2. Add cocoa and agave to chia/milk mixture and stir.

3. Place ice cubes in Vitamix and add other ingredients.

4. Process on variable, from 1-10 and a few seconds on high.

I regularly put chia seeds in my smoothies, but washing the container isn't as easy as it is without those guys in the smoothie. I soak my seeds first, so they are gelatinous (is that a word?) and usually a couple want to stick to the container even after it has run with hot water/detergent for 30 seconds! Or, there's a slightly 'blurry' look to sections of the container...it has to be some of that gelatin on the outside of the seed.BUT, I'll tell you the difference in the lasting power of the smoothie with the chia versus without is well worth any additional washing I might have to do! Plus the Omega 3

bonus.Ginny From: Diane Kolack <dkolack@...> Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 6:29 PM Subject: First recipe - Chia Seed Chocolate Milk Shake

2 Tbsp Chia Seeds

1/4 c Lowfat Milk

3 Tbsp Cocoa Powder

4 ice cubes

I would think a good thing to wash it with is one of those sponge attached to a long handle. I've had them in the past to wash deep items or bottles.

Lucille

Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 10:10 PM

Subject: Re: First recipe - Chia Seed Chocolate Milk Shake

I regularly put chia seeds in my smoothies, but washing the container isn't as easy as it is without those guys in the smoothie. I soak my seeds first, so they are gelatinous (is that a word?) and usually a couple want to stick to the container even after it has run with hot water/detergent for 30 seconds! Or, there's a slightly 'blurry' look to sections of the container...it has to be some of that gelatin on the outside of the seed.

BUT, I'll tell you the difference in the lasting power of the smoothie with the chia versus without is well worth any additional washing I might have to do! Plus the Omega 3 bonus.

Ginny

From: Diane Kolack <dkolack@...> Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 6:29 PMSubject: First recipe - Chia Seed Chocolate Milk Shake

My Vitamix arrived in the mail today and I knew the first recipe I'dtry would have to be chocolate.This was too liquid to be considered afrozen dessert but it is a fantastic milk shake. Chia seeds are reallyhigh in omegas and are also a thickener and high in fiber.Chocolate Chia Milk Shake2 Tbsp Chia Seeds1/4 c Lowfat Milk3 Tbsp Cocoa Powder1 Tbsp Hazelnut Agave (or any sweetener would probably work)4 ice cubes1. Stir chia seeds into cold milk and allow to thicken for a few minutes.2. Add cocoa and agave to chia/milk mixture and stir.3. Place ice cubes in Vitamix and add other ingredients.4. Process on variable, from 1-10 and a few seconds on high.

I ran hot water and 2 pumps of soap through the Vitamix for a minute or so and it was super easy to rinse.On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 10:45 PM, Lucille <lschacht@...> wrote:

I would think a good thing to wash it with is one of those sponge attached to a long handle.   I've had them in the past to wash deep items or bottles.

Lucille

I regularly put chia seeds in my smoothies, but washing the container isn't as easy as it is without those guys in the smoothie.  I soak my seeds first, so they are gelatinous (is that a word?) and usually a couple want to stick to the container even after it has run with hot water/detergent for 30 seconds!  Or, there's a slightly 'blurry' look to sections of the container...it has to be some of that gelatin on the outside of the seed.

BUT, I'll tell you the difference in the lasting power of the smoothie with the chia versus without is well worth any additional washing I might have to do!  Plus the Omega 3 bonus.

Ginny

From: Diane Kolack <dkolack@...> Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 6:29 PMSubject: First recipe - Chia Seed Chocolate Milk Shake

My Vitamix arrived in the mail today and I knew the first recipe I'dtry would have to be chocolate.This was too liquid to be considered afrozen dessert but it is a fantastic milk shake. Chia seeds are reallyhigh in omegas and are also a thickener and high in fiber.Chocolate Chia Milk Shake2 Tbsp Chia Seeds1/4 c Lowfat Milk3 Tbsp Cocoa Powder1 Tbsp Hazelnut Agave (or any sweetener would probably work)4 ice cubes1. Stir chia seeds into cold milk and allow to thicken for a few minutes.2. Add cocoa and agave to chia/milk mixture and stir.3. Place ice cubes in Vitamix and add other ingredients.4. Process on variable, from 1-10 and a few seconds on high.

I buy cheap disposable electric (battery) toothbrushes at walmart for cleaning

inside the Vitamix. They are about 5 bucks, last ages, and work a charm since

the handle lets you reach down inside it.

>

> > **

> >

> >

> > **

> > *I would think a good thing to wash it with is one of those sponge

> > attached to a long handle. I've had them in the past to wash deep items

> > or bottles.*

> > **

> > * Lucille*

> >

> > *From:* Ginny Welton <ginbit@...>

> > *Sent:* Friday, January 20, 2012 10:10 PM

> > *To:*

> > *Subject:* Re: First recipe - Chia Seed Chocolate

> > Milk Shake

> >

> > I regularly put chia seeds in my smoothies, but washing the container

> > isn't as easy as it is without those guys in the smoothie. I soak my seeds

> > first, so they are gelatinous (is that a word?) and usually a couple want

> > to stick to the container even after it has run with hot water/detergent

> > for 30 seconds! Or, there's a slightly 'blurry' look to sections of the

> > container...it has to be some of that gelatin on the outside of the seed.

> >

> > BUT, I'll tell you the difference in the lasting power of the smoothie

> > with the chia versus without is well worth any additional washing I might

> > have to do! Plus the Omega 3 bonus.

> >

> > Ginny

> >

> >

> >

> > ------------------------------

> > *From:* Diane Kolack <dkolack@...>

> > *Sent:* Friday, January 20, 2012 6:29 PM

> > *Subject:* First recipe - Chia Seed Chocolate Milk

> > Shake

> >

> >

> > My Vitamix arrived in the mail today and I knew the first recipe I'd

> > try would have to be chocolate.This was too liquid to be considered a

> > frozen dessert but it is a fantastic milk shake. Chia seeds are really

> > high in omegas and are also a thickener and high in fiber.

> >

> > Chocolate Chia Milk Shake

> > 2 Tbsp Chia Seeds

> > 1/4 c Lowfat Milk

> > 3 Tbsp Cocoa Powder

> > 1 Tbsp Hazelnut Agave (or any sweetener would probably work)

> > 4 ice cubes

> >

> > 1. Stir chia seeds into cold milk and allow to thicken for a few minutes.

> >

> > 2. Add cocoa and agave to chia/milk mixture and stir.

> >

> > 3. Place ice cubes in Vitamix and add other ingredients.

> >

> > 4. Process on variable, from 1-10 and a few seconds on high.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

I love to clean mine with a bottle brush. I get less film build up that way…

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Jan 20, 2012, at 10:45 PM, Lucille wrote:

I would think a good thing to wash it with is one of those sponge attached to a long handle. I've had them in the past to wash deep items or bottles.

Lucille

I regularly put chia seeds in my smoothies, but washing the container isn't as easy as it is without those guys in the smoothie. I soak my seeds first, so they are gelatinous (is that a word?) and usually a couple want to stick to the container even after it has run with hot water/detergent for 30 seconds! Or, there's a slightly 'blurry' look to sections of the container...it has to be some of that gelatin on the outside of the seed.

BUT, I'll tell you the difference in the lasting power of the smoothie with the chia versus without is well worth any additional washing I might have to do! Plus the Omega 3 bonus.

Ginny

I thought of that too after I sent my last message. The kind of brush I use to clean the long tube birdfeeders.

Lucille

Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 11:05 PM

I love to clean mine with a bottle brush. I get less film build up that way…

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Jan 20, 2012, at 10:45 PM, Lucille wrote:

Lucille

Ginny

I added this to the Smoothies and Shakes recipe folder…

On Jan 20, 2012, at 9:29 PM, Diane Kolack wrote:

2 Tbsp Chia Seeds

1/4 c Lowfat Milk

3 Tbsp Cocoa Powder

4 ice cubes

I made this last nite. For some reason I had problems getting the ice to blend in, I don't know what I did wrong. It's like the ice was sticking around the blades and wouldn't "catch" to mix in. It finally did after several attempts, but there was one chunk of ice that never did blend in. I don't know if it matters, but I have the 64 oz container. This was also just a little too chocolatey for me, I am going to try it again, experimenting with less chocolate and also different sweeteners. I did use the hazelnut agave last nite and it was good, but I am going to try it with some powdered stevia, maybe tonite I will try again for my evening snack. It was yummy though. I ate it straight out of the vitamix container because I was too lazy to wash a bowl. Thank you to the original poster for sharing the recipe.

From: lsavage@...Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 11:29:01 -0500Subject: Re: First recipe - Chia Seed Chocolate Milk Shake

Did you use your tamper?

On Jan 21, 2012, at 11:43 AM, Navarro wrote:

I made this last nite. For some reason I had problems getting the ice to blend in, I don't know what I did wrong. It's like the ice was sticking around the blades and wouldn't "catch" to mix in. It finally did after several attempts, but there was one chunk of ice that never did blend in. I don't know if it matters, but I have the 64 oz container. This was also just a little too chocolatey for me, I am going to try it again, experimenting with less chocolate and also different sweeteners. I did use the hazelnut agave last nite and it was good, but I am going to try it with some powdered stevia, maybe tonite I will try again for my evening snack. It was yummy though. I ate it straight out of the vitamix container because I was too lazy to wash a bowl. Thank you to the original poster for sharing the recipe.

From: lsavage@...Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 11:29:01 -0500Subject: Re: First recipe - Chia Seed Chocolate Milk Shake

I tried, but the ice was more to the sides of the blades, there were only 4 cubes, so the tamper didn't really reach down to the ingredients, as the ingredients were mostly around the blade area. I think I just need to get more used to the speeds of the vitamix and learn the controls a little better.

From: lsavage@...Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 11:47:12 -0500Subject: Re: First recipe - Chia Seed Chocolate Milk Shake

Did you use your tamper?

It seems to me that the demos on QVC put the ice in last on top of everything else.

Lucille

Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2012 11:55 AM

Subject: RE: First recipe - Chia Seed Chocolate Milk Shake

I tried, but the ice was more to the sides of the blades, there were only 4 cubes, so the tamper didn't really reach down to the ingredients, as the ingredients were mostly around the blade area. I think I just need to get more used to the speeds of the vitamix and learn the controls a little better.

From: lsavage@...Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 11:47:12 -0500Subject: Re: First recipe - Chia Seed Chocolate Milk Shake

Did you use your tamper?

Gee, I didn't know there was a hazelnut agave syrup - where have I been? Sounds yummy.Ginny From: Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2012 8:29 AM Subject: Re: First recipe - Chia Seed Chocolate Milk Shake

2 Tbsp Chia Seeds

1/4 c Lowfat Milk

3 Tbsp Cocoa Powder

4 ice cubes

what a clever idea!! From: <berrywell@...> Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 7:51 PM Subject: Re: First recipe - Chia Seed Chocolate Milk Shake

I buy cheap disposable electric (battery) toothbrushes at walmart for cleaning inside the Vitamix. They are about 5 bucks, last ages, and work a charm since the handle lets you reach down inside it.

>

> > **

> >

> >

> > **

> > *I would think a good thing to wash it with is one of those sponge

> > attached to a long handle. I've had them in the past to wash deep items

> > or bottles.*

> > **

> > * Lucille*

> >

> > *From:* Ginny Welton <ginbit@...>

> > *Sent:* Friday, January 20, 2012 10:10 PM

> > *Subject:* Re: First recipe - Chia Seed Chocolate

> > Milk Shake

> >

> > I regularly put chia seeds in my smoothies, but washing the container

> > isn't as easy as it is without those guys in the smoothie. I soak my seeds

> > first, so they are gelatinous (is that a word?) and usually a couple want

> > to stick to the container even after it has run with hot water/detergent

> > for 30 seconds! Or, there's a slightly 'blurry' look to sections of the

> > container...it has to be some of that gelatin on the outside of the seed.

> >

> > BUT, I'll tell you the difference in the lasting power of the smoothie

> > with the chia versus without is well worth any additional washing I might

> > have to do! Plus the Omega 3 bonus.

> >

> > Ginny

> >

> >

> >

> > ------------------------------

> > *From:* Diane Kolack <dkolack@...>

> > *Sent:* Friday, January 20, 2012 6:29 PM

> > *Subject:* First recipe - Chia Seed Chocolate Milk

> > Shake

> >

> >

> > My Vitamix arrived in the mail today and I knew the first recipe I'd

> > try would have to be chocolate.This was too liquid to be considered a

> > frozen dessert but it is a fantastic milk shake. Chia seeds are really

> > high in omegas and are also a thickener and high in fiber.

> >

> > Chocolate Chia Milk Shake

> > 2 Tbsp Chia Seeds

> > 1/4 c Lowfat Milk

> > 3 Tbsp Cocoa Powder

> > 1 Tbsp Hazelnut Agave (or any sweetener would probably work)

> > 4 ice cubes

> >

> > 1. Stir chia seeds into cold milk and allow to thicken for a few minutes.

> >

> > 2. Add cocoa and agave to chia/milk mixture and stir.

> >

> > 3. Place ice cubes in Vitamix and add other ingredients.

> >

> > 4. Process on variable, from 1-10 and a few seconds on high.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>