RemedySpot.com

Re: are green smoothies bad for you

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Is there a link to this newsletter post on the web? A quick Google search did not turn it up for me…

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Feb 7, 2012, at 5:21 AM, wrote:

There was a post recently with a link to a happy herbivore blog about whether or not green smoothies are good for you. Here is a response from Boutenko in her "Raw Family" newsletter. Thought you might be interested.

Are Green Smoothies Good or Bad?

Dear Friends,

Recently several people have sent me the link to a blog post at http://www.happyherbivore.com, asking me to comment. I was very surprised to read the post, as I am so used to seeing and hearing nothing but positive results from green smoothie drinkers. I took several days to research where this information came from.

The blog post criticizing green smoothies referred to the words of Dr. T. Colin . I was not able to find similar statements anywhere in Dr. 's books or articles. On the contrary, I found a soymilk/fruit smoothie recommended by Dr. in a sample diet on his homepage. You may find it in the last paragraph in the grey box here: http://www.tcolincampbell.org/courses-resources/article/a-guide-to-healthy-weight-loss Also on another page of Dr. 's website, there is a wonderful article by n Brazier, recommending smoothies as easy and convenient and packed with nutrition, especially when "green foods" are added. http://www.tcolincampbell.org/courses-resources/article/continual-cleansing-for-optimal-health-and-vitality/

The blog post criticizing green smoothies also referred to the comments of Dr. Esselstyn. I read the entire article by Dr. Esselstyn, from which it is clear that Dr. Esselstyn did not refer to green smoothies. He was asked about smoothies right after he talked about fruit juice. He definitely referred to fruit smoothies and didn't say a word about green smoothies. In one statement Dr. Esselstyn said, referring to fruit smoothies, "the fiber is so finely pureed that its helpful properties are destroyed."

There are several scientific articles studying finely vs. coarsely ground fiber. One such article compared bran particles of 2 mm to less than .7 mm. This study found that both fine and coarse fiber have only 2% difference in performance. Moreover, the researchers stated "Fine bran causes less disturbance of gastric physiology than coarse bran" 1 and discussed how finely ground fiber increases nutrient absorption, and reduces bloating, heartburn, and constipation.

In other articles I found similar statements: "particle size of the fiber source did not affect performance." 2 As you can see, both doctors didn't state that green smoothies were bad and their words were used out of context. I invite you to try drinking green smoothies for a week and see for yourself if you feel better. To observe is our birthright. If we utilize our ability to observe, we can free ourselves from the labyrinth of confusions. I believe that our own conscious observations are a thousand times more important than any rigid scientific claim.

When people remove green smoothie from their diet, I wonder what they replace it with? Are they going to eat more salads, which will inevitably include oil and salt? Are they going to increase the consumption of cooked food? More grains and soy? It is not easy to replace green smoothie with anything equally beneficial.

I know some people, including my daughter, who can eat a large bag of romaine or arugula without anything on it. But even Valya cannot consume a bunch of dandelions, or lambsquarters. or stinging nettles on their own. One of the top benefits of green smoothies is that I can see with my own eyes what I put in my blender. Green smoothies are a food I can trust.

During the last several years, I have conducted fifteen week-long green smoothie retreats. I had the opportunity to observe almost a thousand people living on green smoothies for seven days. The positive effects of green smoothies exceeded all of our expectations. Driven by the desire to share this valuable observation with as many people as possible, Valya began to videotape the participants who wanted to share a testimony. You may watch many of them at no charge here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY1EMozPzRM & feature=fvsr

http://happyherbivore.com/2012/01/why-i-stopped-drinking-green-smoothies/

>

> There was a post recently with a link to a happy herbivore blog about whether

or not green smoothies are good for you. Here is a response from

Boutenko in her " Raw Family " newsletter. Thought you might be interested.

>

>

>

> Are Green Smoothies Good or Bad?

> Dear Friends,

> Recently several people have sent me the link to a blog post at

http://www.happyherbivore.com, asking me to comment. I was very surprised to

read the post, as I am so used to seeing and hearing nothing but positive

results from green smoothie drinkers. I took several days to research where this

information came from.

>

> The blog post criticizing green smoothies referred to the words of Dr. T.

Colin . I was not able to find similar statements anywhere in Dr.

's books or articles. On the contrary, I found a soymilk/fruit smoothie

recommended by Dr. in a sample diet on his homepage. You may find it in

the last paragraph in the grey box here:

http://www.tcolincampbell.org/courses-resources/article/a-guide-to-healthy-weigh\

t-loss Also on another page of Dr. 's website, there is a wonderful

article by n Brazier, recommending smoothies as easy and convenient and

packed with nutrition, especially when " green foods " are added.

http://www.tcolincampbell.org/courses-resources/article/continual-cleansing-for-\

optimal-health-and-vitality/

>

> The blog post criticizing green smoothies also referred to the comments of Dr.

Esselstyn. I read the entire article by Dr. Esselstyn, from which it is clear

that Dr. Esselstyn did not refer to green smoothies. He was asked about

smoothies right after he talked about fruit juice. He definitely referred to

fruit smoothies and didn't say a word about green smoothies. In one statement

Dr. Esselstyn said, referring to fruit smoothies, " the fiber is so finely pureed

that its helpful properties are destroyed. "

>

> There are several scientific articles studying finely vs. coarsely ground

fiber. One such article compared bran particles of 2 mm to less than .7 mm. This

study found that both fine and coarse fiber have only 2% difference in

performance. Moreover, the researchers stated " Fine bran causes less disturbance

of gastric physiology than coarse bran " 1 and discussed how finely ground fiber

increases nutrient absorption, and reduces bloating, heartburn, and

constipation.

>

> In other articles I found similar statements: " particle size of the fiber

source did not affect performance. " 2 As you can see, both doctors didn't state

that green smoothies were bad and their words were used out of context. I invite

you to try drinking green smoothies for a week and see for yourself if you feel

better. To observe is our birthright. If we utilize our ability to observe, we

can free ourselves from the labyrinth of confusions. I believe that our own

conscious observations are a thousand times more important than any rigid

scientific claim.

>

> When people remove green smoothie from their diet, I wonder what they replace

it with? Are they going to eat more salads, which will inevitably include oil

and salt? Are they going to increase the consumption of cooked food? More grains

and soy? It is not easy to replace green smoothie with anything equally

beneficial.

>

> I know some people, including my daughter, who can eat a large bag of romaine

or arugula without anything on it. But even Valya cannot consume a bunch of

dandelions, or lambsquarters. or stinging nettles on their own. One of the top

benefits of green smoothies is that I can see with my own eyes what I put in my

blender. Green smoothies are a food I can trust.

>

> During the last several years, I have conducted fifteen week-long green

smoothie retreats. I had the opportunity to observe almost a thousand people

living on green smoothies for seven days. The positive effects of green

smoothies exceeded all of our expectations. Driven by the desire to share this

valuable observation with as many people as possible, Valya began to videotape

the participants who wanted to share a testimony. You may watch many of them at

no charge here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY1EMozPzRM & feature=fvsr

>

Thanks - but I was talking about Boutenko's reply.I'm usually a good researcher, but can't find the web page for 's Blog with this reply regardless of what search terms or techniques I use!Someone sent me the email (thanks Marsha :-) but the link doesn't work.Perhaps since the Happy Herbivore took their original post down:http://happyherbivore.com/2012/01/why-i-stopped-drinking-green-smoothies/ took hers down too???

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Feb 7, 2012, at 8:02 AM, futurerpr wrote:

http://happyherbivore.com/2012/01/why-i-stopped-drinking-green-smoothies/

>

> There was a post recently with a link to a happy herbivore blog about whether or not green smoothies are good for you. Here is a response from Boutenko in her "Raw Family" newsletter. Thought you might be interested.

>

>

>

> Are Green Smoothies Good or Bad?

> Dear Friends,

> Recently several people have sent me the link to a blog post at http://www.happyherbivore.com, asking me to comment. I was very surprised to read the post, as I am so used to seeing and hearing nothing but positive results from green smoothie drinkers. I took several days to research where this information came from.

>

> The blog post criticizing green smoothies referred to the words of Dr. T. Colin . I was not able to find similar statements anywhere in Dr. 's books or articles. On the contrary, I found a soymilk/fruit smoothie recommended by Dr. in a sample diet on his homepage. You may find it in the last paragraph in the grey box here: http://www.tcolincampbell.org/courses-resources/article/a-guide-to-healthy-weight-loss Also on another page of Dr. 's website, there is a wonderful article by n Brazier, recommending smoothies as easy and convenient and packed with nutrition, especially when "green foods" are added. http://www.tcolincampbell.org/courses-resources/article/continual-cleansing-for-optimal-health-and-vitality/

>

> The blog post criticizing green smoothies also referred to the comments of Dr. Esselstyn. I read the entire article by Dr. Esselstyn, from which it is clear that Dr. Esselstyn did not refer to green smoothies. He was asked about smoothies right after he talked about fruit juice. He definitely referred to fruit smoothies and didn't say a word about green smoothies. In one statement Dr. Esselstyn said, referring to fruit smoothies, "the fiber is so finely pureed that its helpful properties are destroyed."

>

> There are several scientific articles studying finely vs. coarsely ground fiber. One such article compared bran particles of 2 mm to less than .7 mm. This study found that both fine and coarse fiber have only 2% difference in performance. Moreover, the researchers stated "Fine bran causes less disturbance of gastric physiology than coarse bran" 1 and discussed how finely ground fiber increases nutrient absorption, and reduces bloating, heartburn, and constipation.

>

> In other articles I found similar statements: "particle size of the fiber source did not affect performance." 2 As you can see, both doctors didn't state that green smoothies were bad and their words were used out of context. I invite you to try drinking green smoothies for a week and see for yourself if you feel better. To observe is our birthright. If we utilize our ability to observe, we can free ourselves from the labyrinth of confusions. I believe that our own conscious observations are a thousand times more important than any rigid scientific claim.

>

> When people remove green smoothie from their diet, I wonder what they replace it with? Are they going to eat more salads, which will inevitably include oil and salt? Are they going to increase the consumption of cooked food? More grains and soy? It is not easy to replace green smoothie with anything equally beneficial.

>

> I know some people, including my daughter, who can eat a large bag of romaine or arugula without anything on it. But even Valya cannot consume a bunch of dandelions, or lambsquarters. or stinging nettles on their own. One of the top benefits of green smoothies is that I can see with my own eyes what I put in my blender. Green smoothies are a food I can trust.

>

> During the last several years, I have conducted fifteen week-long green smoothie retreats. I had the opportunity to observe almost a thousand people living on green smoothies for seven days. The positive effects of green smoothies exceeded all of our expectations. Driven by the desire to share this valuable observation with as many people as possible, Valya began to videotape the participants who wanted to share a testimony. You may watch many of them at no charge here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY1EMozPzRM & feature=fvsr

>

I watched the video attached to your message.  Do you know if the people in 's week long study that lowered their blood sugar so much drank green smoothies all day and ate no food or did they just drink green smoothies for breakfast and eat salads or something like that the rest of the day?

I have relatives that are diabetic and it would be great if they drink green smoothies and balance their blood sugar.

Janet

I'd like to see that too.

Lucille

Lschacht@...

--------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 11:44 AM

< >

Subject: Re: are green smoothies bad for you

> I haven't been able to find any links for her article either. It appears

> it's just in her e-newsletter. I can forward it to you if you like.

>

>

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

> Please bookmark these pages:

>

> /links/

> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers,

> Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being

> added to)

>

>

/links/IMPORTANT_VitamixE\

nthusiasts_Membership__001327149393/

> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you

> unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of

> Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from

> coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the

> Links page and read messages online!

Thanks - I have the newsletter now (thanks to Marsha :-)I'm pretty sure that she pulled it off of her online blog for the same reason that the original author pulled it off of theirs…

On Feb 7, 2012, at 11:14 AM, Lucille wrote:

I'd like to see that too.

Lucille

Lschacht@...

--------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 11:44 AM

< >

Subject: Re: are green smoothies bad for you

> I haven't been able to find any links for her article either. It appears

> it's just in her e-newsletter. I can forward it to you if you like.

>

>

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

> Please bookmark these pages:

>

> /links/

> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers,

> Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being

> added to)