RemedySpot.com

Re: fiber beneficial or detriment? - was - Robbin. Which juicer?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Lea Ann,

This is the most comprehensive assessment of juicing vs blending that I have

heard. I've copy/pasted this to my husband and it looks like now at least we

won't have to buy a juicer. Thank you for your input here. God Bless

Kuby

http://kuby2u.wordpress.com

>

> The fiber is very important and it does not Prevent the intake of nutrients,

it only Slows the absorption of nutrients. Where foods high in sugars/carbs are

concerned, this is Very Important!

I never said we digest fiber. I had read it prevents all the macro nutrients from entering. I know fiber is very important especially if you have a hx of any sort of cancer or diverticulitis. •Robbin On Jan 31, 2012, at 8:06 PM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:The fiber is very important and it does not Prevent the intake of nutrients, it only Slows the absorption of nutrients. Where foods high in sugars/carbs are concerned, this is Very Important!I get so frustrated with the comment that I hear so often that our bodies have to work harder to digest the fiber. We do NOT DIGEST FIBER! Cellulase is required to digest Cellulose (and our bodies do not produce Cellulase). Cows and other animals (like termites) that seem to digest fiber, actually have colonies of symbiotic bacteria in their digestive systems that produce the cellulase necessary to digest cellulose. Cellulose = plant cell walls.Soluble Fiber is the kind that mixes with water. Soluble Fiber:1) SLOWS the emptying of the stomach (but does not prevent it)2) helps you feel full3) slows the release of sugar into your blood stream which helps improve insulin sensitivity4) can interfere with the absorption of LDL (the bad) cholesterol from foods5) feeds gut bacteria (ferments) which produces short chain fatty acids, which are important - some help with inflammatory conditions.Insoluble Fiber does not mix with water. Insoluble Fiber:1) Acts like a bulking agent2) Can speed the passage of foods through the digestive systemCows and other animals (like termites) that seem to digest fiber (especially insoluble fiber), actually have colonies of symbiotic bacteria in their digestive systems that produce the cellulase necessary to digest cellulose. Cellulose = plant cell walls. No vertebrate directly produces Cellulase.The main benefit of juicing is about nutritional volume. With the fiber removed you can consume a higher volume of plant nutrients as the fiber takes up space. HOWEVER, where fruits and sweet veggies like beets and carrots are concerned (this is my opinion) increased volume (especially without the inhibitory effect that fiber has on the rate that blood sugars are released to the blood stream) is not a good thing. IMO (take it for what it is worth) only greens which are FULL of nutrients and LOW in sugars, should be juiced.Personally, I blend (retaining the fiber) apples, carrots, berries, etc. and I blend (retaining the fiber) some greens, and juice more greens. I pour the green juice back into the blended stuff. I'm not recommending that this is necessary for everyone, it is just what is working really well for me right now. Regarding the nutrient density of greens vs. fruit, I encourage you to pick up the book, "Eat Right America" by Dr. Fuhrman. It gives you the ANDI scores of foods. ANDI stands for "Aggregate Nutritional Density Index" which means, "how nutritious is a food per calorie".Here is an abbreviated ANDI Chart (if the picture does not show up - check it out at this link)http://thetableofpromise.blogspot.com/2010/08/andi-scores.html<ANDI.jpg>Kale = 1,000 Collards = 1,000Spinach = 739Romain = 389Carrots = 240Blueberries = 130Apple = 76The ANDI scale is not the be all end of of nutrition. It reports the nutrients PER CALORIE (which is skewed information), but the point of posting this, is to show how very nutrient dense greens are, and why I like to consume the nutrients from a high volume of greens - LOADS of nutrients, and scant calories. So far, I have not experienced any goiterogenic effects (suppression of my thyroid) only a huge beneficial surge in energy and a sense of well being. I am lucky that I'm not experiencing the effects of the anti-nutrients in greens (goiterogens) but I suspect that rotating between parsley, kale, collards, dandelion, romaine, and spinach is helping.I've also been doing wheat grass shots as often as possible.Whew, that was long winded - but hopefully shows why fiber is important (especially soluble fiber) and why smoothies with fiber do not prevent the absorption of nutrients, only slows the absorption, and why juicing sometimes has its place...Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Jan 31, 2012, at 6:10 PM, Robbin wrote:

That is what I am debating. Is the fiber just as good gor you or dies it impede the intake of nutrients?- RobbinOn Jan 31, 2012, at 6:04 PM, "Tom Matuschak" <pmatus@...> wrote:

Robin I chose the Vitamix because I think consuming the fiber is as if not more important than consuming the juice. I do believe it would be great to add the juice to the Vitamix instead of another liquid but I am not positive it is worth the extra expense of a juicer at this time. Tom

Oh Lea Ann, this makes sense to me now. You juice only greens and drink separately from when you make your smoothies. Makes sense to me now •Robbin On Jan 31, 2012, at 8:06 PM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:The fiber is very important and it does not Prevent the intake of nutrients, it only Slows the absorption of nutrients. Where foods high in sugars/carbs are concerned, this is Very Important!I get so frustrated with the comment that I hear so often that our bodies have to work harder to digest the fiber. We do NOT DIGEST FIBER! Cellulase is required to digest Cellulose (and our bodies do not produce Cellulase). Cows and other animals (like termites) that seem to digest fiber, actually have colonies of symbiotic bacteria in their digestive systems that produce the cellulase necessary to digest cellulose. Cellulose = plant cell walls.Soluble Fiber is the kind that mixes with water. Soluble Fiber:1) SLOWS the emptying of the stomach (but does not prevent it)2) helps you feel full3) slows the release of sugar into your blood stream which helps improve insulin sensitivity4) can interfere with the absorption of LDL (the bad) cholesterol from foods5) feeds gut bacteria (ferments) which produces short chain fatty acids, which are important - some help with inflammatory conditions.Insoluble Fiber does not mix with water. Insoluble Fiber:1) Acts like a bulking agent2) Can speed the passage of foods through the digestive systemCows and other animals (like termites) that seem to digest fiber (especially insoluble fiber), actually have colonies of symbiotic bacteria in their digestive systems that produce the cellulase necessary to digest cellulose. Cellulose = plant cell walls. No vertebrate directly produces Cellulase.The main benefit of juicing is about nutritional volume. With the fiber removed you can consume a higher volume of plant nutrients as the fiber takes up space. HOWEVER, where fruits and sweet veggies like beets and carrots are concerned (this is my opinion) increased volume (especially without the inhibitory effect that fiber has on the rate that blood sugars are released to the blood stream) is not a good thing. IMO (take it for what it is worth) only greens which are FULL of nutrients and LOW in sugars, should be juiced.Personally, I blend (retaining the fiber) apples, carrots, berries, etc. and I blend (retaining the fiber) some greens, and juice more greens. I pour the green juice back into the blended stuff. I'm not recommending that this is necessary for everyone, it is just what is working really well for me right now. Regarding the nutrient density of greens vs. fruit, I encourage you to pick up the book, "Eat Right America" by Dr. Fuhrman. It gives you the ANDI scores of foods. ANDI stands for "Aggregate Nutritional Density Index" which means, "how nutritious is a food per calorie".Here is an abbreviated ANDI Chart (if the picture does not show up - check it out at this link)http://thetableofpromise.blogspot.com/2010/08/andi-scores.html<ANDI.jpg>Kale = 1,000 Collards = 1,000Spinach = 739Romain = 389Carrots = 240Blueberries = 130Apple = 76The ANDI scale is not the be all end of of nutrition. It reports the nutrients PER CALORIE (which is skewed information), but the point of posting this, is to show how very nutrient dense greens are, and why I like to consume the nutrients from a high volume of greens - LOADS of nutrients, and scant calories. So far, I have not experienced any goiterogenic effects (suppression of my thyroid) only a huge beneficial surge in energy and a sense of well being. I am lucky that I'm not experiencing the effects of the anti-nutrients in greens (goiterogens) but I suspect that rotating between parsley, kale, collards, dandelion, romaine, and spinach is helping.I've also been doing wheat grass shots as often as possible.Whew, that was long winded - but hopefully shows why fiber is important (especially soluble fiber) and why smoothies with fiber do not prevent the absorption of nutrients, only slows the absorption, and why juicing sometimes has its place...Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

That is what I am debating. Is the fiber just as good gor you or dies it impede the intake of nutrients?- RobbinOn Jan 31, 2012, at 6:04 PM, "Tom Matuschak" <pmatus@...> wrote:

Robin I chose the Vitamix because I think consuming the fiber is as if not more important than consuming the juice. I do believe it would be great to add the juice to the Vitamix instead of another liquid but I am not positive it is worth the extra expense of a juicer at this time. Tom

Ok now I am confused. If you are blending and then juicing the greens, you are still slowing the absorption of the green juice because you are taking in the fiber at that same time from your blends. You are best off juicing your greens and drinking them separately from your blend. •Robbin On Jan 31, 2012, at 8:06 PM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:The fiber is very important and it does not Prevent the intake of nutrients, it only Slows the absorption of nutrients. Where foods high in sugars/carbs are concerned, this is Very Important!I get so frustrated with the comment that I hear so often that our bodies have to work harder to digest the fiber. We do NOT DIGEST FIBER! Cellulase is required to digest Cellulose (and our bodies do not produce Cellulase). Cows and other animals (like termites) that seem to digest fiber, actually have colonies of symbiotic bacteria in their digestive systems that produce the cellulase necessary to digest cellulose. Cellulose = plant cell walls.Soluble Fiber is the kind that mixes with water. Soluble Fiber:1) SLOWS the emptying of the stomach (but does not prevent it)2) helps you feel full3) slows the release of sugar into your blood stream which helps improve insulin sensitivity4) can interfere with the absorption of LDL (the bad) cholesterol from foods5) feeds gut bacteria (ferments) which produces short chain fatty acids, which are important - some help with inflammatory conditions.Insoluble Fiber does not mix with water. Insoluble Fiber:1) Acts like a bulking agent2) Can speed the passage of foods through the digestive systemCows and other animals (like termites) that seem to digest fiber (especially insoluble fiber), actually have colonies of symbiotic bacteria in their digestive systems that produce the cellulase necessary to digest cellulose. Cellulose = plant cell walls. No vertebrate directly produces Cellulase.The main benefit of juicing is about nutritional volume. With the fiber removed you can consume a higher volume of plant nutrients as the fiber takes up space. HOWEVER, where fruits and sweet veggies like beets and carrots are concerned (this is my opinion) increased volume (especially without the inhibitory effect that fiber has on the rate that blood sugars are released to the blood stream) is not a good thing. IMO (take it for what it is worth) only greens which are FULL of nutrients and LOW in sugars, should be juiced.Personally, I blend (retaining the fiber) apples, carrots, berries, etc. and I blend (retaining the fiber) some greens, and juice more greens. I pour the green juice back into the blended stuff. I'm not recommending that this is necessary for everyone, it is just what is working really well for me right now. Regarding the nutrient density of greens vs. fruit, I encourage you to pick up the book, "Eat Right America" by Dr. Fuhrman. It gives you the ANDI scores of foods. ANDI stands for "Aggregate Nutritional Density Index" which means, "how nutritious is a food per calorie".Here is an abbreviated ANDI Chart (if the picture does not show up - check it out at this link)http://thetableofpromise.blogspot.com/2010/08/andi-scores.html<ANDI.jpg>Kale = 1,000 Collards = 1,000Spinach = 739Romain = 389Carrots = 240Blueberries = 130Apple = 76The ANDI scale is not the be all end of of nutrition. It reports the nutrients PER CALORIE (which is skewed information), but the point of posting this, is to show how very nutrient dense greens are, and why I like to consume the nutrients from a high volume of greens - LOADS of nutrients, and scant calories. So far, I have not experienced any goiterogenic effects (suppression of my thyroid) only a huge beneficial surge in energy and a sense of well being. I am lucky that I'm not experiencing the effects of the anti-nutrients in greens (goiterogens) but I suspect that rotating between parsley, kale, collards, dandelion, romaine, and spinach is helping.I've also been doing wheat grass shots as often as possible.Whew, that was long winded - but hopefully shows why fiber is important (especially soluble fiber) and why smoothies with fiber do not prevent the absorption of nutrients, only slows the absorption, and why juicing sometimes has its place...Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

I wasn't referring to anything you said Robbin - it is the most common phrase ever brought up when the subject of juicing vs. blending is brought up… I figured that I addressed your question in the first line of my reply, then I began to cover the topic in general. :-)

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Jan 31, 2012, at 8:48 PM, Robbin wrote:

I never said we digest fiber. I had read it prevents all the macro nutrients from entering. I know fiber is very important especially if you have a hx of any sort of cancer or diverticulitis. •Robbin On Jan 31, 2012, at 8:06 PM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:The fiber is very important and it does not Prevent the intake of nutrients, it only Slows the absorption of nutrients. Where foods high in sugars/carbs are concerned, this is Very Important!I get so frustrated with the comment that I hear so often that our bodies have to work harder to digest the fiber. We do NOT DIGEST FIBER! Cellulase is required to digest Cellulose (and our bodies do not produce Cellulase). Cows and other animals (like termites) that seem to digest fiber, actually have colonies of symbiotic bacteria in their digestive systems that produce the cellulase necessary to digest cellulose. Cellulose = plant cell walls.Soluble Fiber is the kind that mixes with water. Soluble Fiber:1) SLOWS the emptying of the stomach (but does not prevent it)2) helps you feel full3) slows the release of sugar into your blood stream which helps improve insulin sensitivity4) can interfere with the absorption of LDL (the bad) cholesterol from foods5) feeds gut bacteria (ferments) which produces short chain fatty acids, which are important - some help with inflammatory conditions.Insoluble Fiber does not mix with water. Insoluble Fiber:1) Acts like a bulking agent2) Can speed the passage of foods through the digestive systemCows and other animals (like termites) that seem to digest fiber (especially insoluble fiber), actually have colonies of symbiotic bacteria in their digestive systems that produce the cellulase necessary to digest cellulose. Cellulose = plant cell walls. No vertebrate directly produces Cellulase.The main benefit of juicing is about nutritional volume. With the fiber removed you can consume a higher volume of plant nutrients as the fiber takes up space. HOWEVER, where fruits and sweet veggies like beets and carrots are concerned (this is my opinion) increased volume (especially without the inhibitory effect that fiber has on the rate that blood sugars are released to the blood stream) is not a good thing. IMO (take it for what it is worth) only greens which are FULL of nutrients and LOW in sugars, should be juiced.Personally, I blend (retaining the fiber) apples, carrots, berries, etc. and I blend (retaining the fiber) some greens, and juice more greens. I pour the green juice back into the blended stuff. I'm not recommending that this is necessary for everyone, it is just what is working really well for me right now. Regarding the nutrient density of greens vs. fruit, I encourage you to pick up the book, "Eat Right America" by Dr. Fuhrman. It gives you the ANDI scores of foods. ANDI stands for "Aggregate Nutritional Density Index" which means, "how nutritious is a food per calorie".Here is an abbreviated ANDI Chart (if the picture does not show up - check it out at this link)http://thetableofpromise.blogspot.com/2010/08/andi-scores.html<ANDI.jpg>Kale = 1,000 Collards = 1,000Spinach = 739Romain = 389Carrots = 240Blueberries = 130Apple = 76The ANDI scale is not the be all end of of nutrition. It reports the nutrients PER CALORIE (which is skewed information), but the point of posting this, is to show how very nutrient dense greens are, and why I like to consume the nutrients from a high volume of greens - LOADS of nutrients, and scant calories. So far, I have not experienced any goiterogenic effects (suppression of my thyroid) only a huge beneficial surge in energy and a sense of well being. I am lucky that I'm not experiencing the effects of the anti-nutrients in greens (goiterogens) but I suspect that rotating between parsley, kale, collards, dandelion, romaine, and spinach is helping.I've also been doing wheat grass shots as often as possible.Whew, that was long winded - but hopefully shows why fiber is important (especially soluble fiber) and why smoothies with fiber do not prevent the absorption of nutrients, only slows the absorption, and why juicing sometimes has its place...Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

I don't mind slow absorption. It is all still absorbed. I don't see any benefit to absorbing the nutrients in 5 vs 30 minutes. I ESPECIALLY want the higher sugar foods to be absorbed more slowly, the green juice is just along for the ride :-)

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Jan 31, 2012, at 8:54 PM, Robbin wrote:

Ok now I am confused. If you are blending and then juicing the greens, you are still slowing the absorption of the green juice because you are taking in the fiber at that same time from your blends. You are best off juicing your greens and drinking them separately from your blend. •Robbin On Jan 31, 2012, at 8:06 PM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:The fiber is very important and it does not Prevent the intake of nutrients, it only Slows the absorption of nutrients. Where foods high in sugars/carbs are concerned, this is Very Important!I get so frustrated with the comment that I hear so often that our bodies have to work harder to digest the fiber. We do NOT DIGEST FIBER! Cellulase is required to digest Cellulose (and our bodies do not produce Cellulase). Cows and other animals (like termites) that seem to digest fiber, actually have colonies of symbiotic bacteria in their digestive systems that produce the cellulase necessary to digest cellulose. Cellulose = plant cell walls.Soluble Fiber is the kind that mixes with water. Soluble Fiber:1) SLOWS the emptying of the stomach (but does not prevent it)2) helps you feel full3) slows the release of sugar into your blood stream which helps improve insulin sensitivity4) can interfere with the absorption of LDL (the bad) cholesterol from foods5) feeds gut bacteria (ferments) which produces short chain fatty acids, which are important - some help with inflammatory conditions.Insoluble Fiber does not mix with water. Insoluble Fiber:1) Acts like a bulking agent2) Can speed the passage of foods through the digestive systemCows and other animals (like termites) that seem to digest fiber (especially insoluble fiber), actually have colonies of symbiotic bacteria in their digestive systems that produce the cellulase necessary to digest cellulose. Cellulose = plant cell walls. No vertebrate directly produces Cellulase.The main benefit of juicing is about nutritional volume. With the fiber removed you can consume a higher volume of plant nutrients as the fiber takes up space. HOWEVER, where fruits and sweet veggies like beets and carrots are concerned (this is my opinion) increased volume (especially without the inhibitory effect that fiber has on the rate that blood sugars are released to the blood stream) is not a good thing. IMO (take it for what it is worth) only greens which are FULL of nutrients and LOW in sugars, should be juiced.Personally, I blend (retaining the fiber) apples, carrots, berries, etc. and I blend (retaining the fiber) some greens, and juice more greens. I pour the green juice back into the blended stuff. I'm not recommending that this is necessary for everyone, it is just what is working really well for me right now. Regarding the nutrient density of greens vs. fruit, I encourage you to pick up the book, "Eat Right America" by Dr. Fuhrman. It gives you the ANDI scores of foods. ANDI stands for "Aggregate Nutritional Density Index" which means, "how nutritious is a food per calorie".Here is an abbreviated ANDI Chart (if the picture does not show up - check it out at this link)http://thetableofpromise.blogspot.com/2010/08/andi-scores.html<ANDI.jpg>Kale = 1,000 Collards = 1,000Spinach = 739Romain = 389Carrots = 240Blueberries = 130Apple = 76The ANDI scale is not the be all end of of nutrition. It reports the nutrients PER CALORIE (which is skewed information), but the point of posting this, is to show how very nutrient dense greens are, and why I like to consume the nutrients from a high volume of greens - LOADS of nutrients, and scant calories. So far, I have not experienced any goiterogenic effects (suppression of my thyroid) only a huge beneficial surge in energy and a sense of well being. I am lucky that I'm not experiencing the effects of the anti-nutrients in greens (goiterogens) but I suspect that rotating between parsley, kale, collards, dandelion, romaine, and spinach is helping.I've also been doing wheat grass shots as often as possible.Whew, that was long winded - but hopefully shows why fiber is important (especially soluble fiber) and why smoothies with fiber do not prevent the absorption of nutrients, only slows the absorption, and why juicing sometimes has its place...Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

Lea Ann, I think I'm falling in love with you...! Ha!

Seriously, this explanation of fiber and nutrients is invaluable! I'm trying to

" cure " my immune disorder, and I really, REALLY am benefiting from this group!

Thank you!

JoAnn

> >

> >>

> >>

> >> Robin I chose the Vitamix because I think consuming the fiber is as if not

more important than consuming the juice. I do believe it would be great to add

the juice to the Vitamix instead of another liquid but I am not positive it is

worth the extra expense of a juicer at this time.

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >> Tom

>

My aha moment. Yes. I see what you mean •Robbin On Jan 31, 2012, at 9:32 PM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

I don't mind slow absorption. It is all still absorbed. I don't see any benefit to absorbing the nutrients in 5 vs 30 minutes. I ESPECIALLY want the higher sugar foods to be absorbed more slowly, the green juice is just along for the ride :-)

On Jan 31, 2012, at 8:54 PM, Robbin wrote: