Vitamin question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Vitamins may be a waste for healthy people that eat and exercise well, but

those with a chronic illness, who don't get proper nutrition for various

reasons, may benefit from various supplements. Better safe than not

healthy.

-Brent

PS: Doctors recommend calcium and folic acid, don't they??

Vitamin Question

We have a new temp at my job and she sells NutriLite Double X brand of

vitamins. Has anyone ever heard of them and if so can you give me any info

you know about them? Are they safe, side effects, etc. I've been taking a

store brand folic acid and calcium. I tried taking a multi-vitamin but the

constipation was too severe. I've really noticed a difference with the

calcium. My nails grow like weeds now. I still don't understand why many

people are really big believers on vitamins, but yet I've had two different

doctors (my pain clinic doctor from the Mayo Clinic and my rheumatologist)

both tell my vitamins are a waste of money. Anyway, please let me know what

you think.

Many thanks as always!

a , Administrative Assistant

Faribault Foods, Inc.

3380 Piper Jaffray Tower

222 South 9th Street

Minneapolis, MN 55402

Tele: 612-333-6461

Fax: 612-342-2908

• 1 year later...

I use 2 MVI with Fe - flinstones are fine in my opinion. I do not recommend the Centrum Liquid - Pts would need to take quite a bit of it per day in addition to other vitamins to get what they need and the taste is not that great and gets pricey when need to take large volumes a day.

"The information in this electronic message may be privileged and confidential and is intended for the use of the individual(s) or entity(ies) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are on notice that any unauthorized disclosure, copying, distribution, or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of these electronically transmitted materials is prohibited."

-----Original Message-----From: Hunter Copeland [mailto:hcopeland@...]Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 4:52 AM Cc: daddyjck@...; alschirduan@...; kettle2@...; audrey77@...; ; barry.ivey@...; batty378@...; r.apted@...; lbryant@...; lburroug@...; citycove@...; coachterry519@...; dcompeau@...; coriann4@...; delroyreid1@...; dianewhitehead@...; dkennedy@...; dwhitehe@...; e.apted@...; email@...; mfrance@...; geriherold@...; heinz.valtin@...; helenewein@...; info@...; james_m_proulx@...; jerriannmc@...; jimv@...; alixfood@...; tennisldyz@...; jllrnbsn@...; matthias.schirduan@...; mbergrn@...; imontalieu@...; clerview@...; nperlson@...; oldtimerlh@...; owen.schirduan@...; part@...; peggy954remove@...; bpritchard@...; sloopdujour@...; robertbarnes299@...; romak@...; paulschirduan@...; schirdu@...; tania102@...; unwinder@...; aalconn@...; vproulx@...Subject: Vitamin question>>The bariatric surgeon I now work for has always recommended 2 chewableFlintstones Complete per day, & I added B12 1000 mcg/week, and 1200mg Ca+citrate per day.I am curious about the Flintstones. What kind of MVI does everyonerecommend? ALso I have some patients who prefer the liquid Centrum.Should I still recommend they double the dose? Is this just due to thelack of absorption?Thanks, Hunter Copeland RD, LD

I work with proximal RouenY

"The information in this electronic message may be privileged and confidential and is intended for the use of the individual(s) or entity(ies) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are on notice that any unauthorized disclosure, copying, distribution, or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of these electronically transmitted materials is prohibited."

RE: Vitamin question

I use 2 MVI with Fe - flinstones are fine in my opinion. I do not recommend the Centrum Liquid - Pts would need to take quite a bit of it per day in addition to other vitamins to get what they need and the taste is not that great and gets pricey when need to take large volumes a day.

-----Original Message-----From: Hunter Copeland [mailto:hcopeland@...]Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 4:52 AM Cc: daddyjck@...; alschirduan@...; kettle2@...; audrey77@...; ; barry.ivey@...; batty378@...; r.apted@...; lbryant@...; lburroug@...; citycove@...; coachterry519@...; dcompeau@...; coriann4@...; delroyreid1@...; dianewhitehead@...; dkennedy@...; dwhitehe@...; e.apted@...; email@...; mfrance@...; geriherold@...; heinz.valtin@...; helenewein@...; info@...; james_m_proulx@...; jerriannmc@...; jimv@...; alixfood@...; tennisldyz@...; jllrnbsn@...; matthias.schirduan@...; mbergrn@...; imontalieu@...; clerview@...; nperlson@...; oldtimerlh@...; owen.schirduan@...; part@...; peggy954remove@...; bpritchard@...; sloopdujour@...; robertbarnes299@...; romak@...; paulschirduan@...; schirdu@...; tania102@...; unwinder@...; aalconn@...; vproulx@...Subject: Vitamin question>>The bariatric surgeon I now work for has always recommended 2 chewableFlintstones Complete per day, & I added B12 1000 mcg/week, and 1200mg Ca+citrate per day.I am curious about the Flintstones. What kind of MVI does everyonerecommend? ALso I have some patients who prefer the liquid Centrum.Should I still recommend they double the dose? Is this just due to thelack of absorption?Thanks, Hunter Copeland RD, LD

Wouldn't a Flintstones Complete be a better option than Flintstones w/

Iron. The complete has more vitamins/minerals & actually has more iron.

> I use 2 MVI with Fe - flinstones are fine in my opinion. I do not

> recommend

> the Centrum Liquid - Pts would need to take quite a bit of it per day in

> addition to other vitamins to get what they need and the taste is not that

> great and gets pricey when need to take large volumes a day.

>

>

> " The information in this electronic message may be privileged and

> confidential and is intended for the use of the individual(s) or

> entity(ies)

> named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are on notice that

> any unauthorized disclosure, copying, distribution, or taking of any

> action

> in reliance on the contents of these electronically transmitted materials

> is

> prohibited. "

>

> Vitamin question

>

>

>>

>>

> The bariatric surgeon I now work for has always recommended 2 chewable

> Flintstones Complete per day, & I added B12 1000 mcg/week, and 1200mg Ca+

> citrate per day.

>

> I am curious about the Flintstones. What kind of MVI does everyone

> recommend? ALso I have some patients who prefer the liquid Centrum.

> Should I still recommend they double the dose? Is this just due to the

> lack of absorption?

>

> Thanks, Hunter Copeland RD, LD

>

>

>

Flinstones Complete is all we are able to get here in Alaska I have yet to see anything but - I specify MVI with Fe because some have used vitamins such as Centrum Silver which does not have any iron in it at all.

Vitamin question>>>>>>> The bariatric surgeon I now work for has always recommended 2 chewable> Flintstones Complete per day, & I added B12 1000 mcg/week, and 1200mg Ca+> citrate per day.>> I am curious about the Flintstones. What kind of MVI does everyone> recommend? ALso I have some patients who prefer the liquid Centrum.> Should I still recommend they double the dose? Is this just due to the> lack of absorption?>> Thanks, Hunter Copeland RD, LD>>>

• 8 years later...

I just got some new vegetarian vitamins pills that I had never tried before. They are kinda big pills and they smell like hay, they taste kinda yucky. The dosage says to take between 3-6 of them a day. I was wondering, do you think they are just as effective if I throw them in with my morning smoothie and mix them in. That's probably a dumb question huh?

Not a dumb question at all...I don't recommend putting them in your smoothie.

First, they may be a " time release " type thing, meaning they should disolve over

time. Second, if they taste and smell like hay, so will your smoothie. Third,

they are bound together with binders and fillers which won't do anything for the

texture of your smoothie (I have tried such things in the past, with not so good

results!) My best suggestion would be to use up the bottle that you have, then

learn to make your OWN " vitamins " using whole foods in the Vitamix! Way

tastier, more absorbed by the body...and cheaper!

>

>

> I just got some new vegetarian vitamins pills that I had never tried before.

They are kinda big pills and they smell like hay, they taste kinda yucky. The

dosage says to take between 3-6 of them a day. I was wondering, do you think

they are just as effective if I throw them in with my morning smoothie and mix

them in. That's probably a dumb question huh?

>

>

>

I am sure they are just fine, but I am a fan of getting vitamins from your

smoothie or juice-no need for ALL of those ingredients, since many are repeats

of the same nutrients. I think marketing just makes people feel like they are

getting more for their money with more stuff thrown in, lol. As for

" cellulose " -think SPONGE...yes, like your kitchen dish sponge! Much of the

" vegetable cellulose " is nothing more than the discarded chaff and unusable

parts of veggies dehydrated and ground up to form a filler-blekkk. Better to

toss some fresh greens, seeds and grasses into the Vitamix, in my mind!

>

>

> Thanks . They are made out of all kinds of grasses, leaves and berries.

Some of the ingredients are; barley grass, fennel seed, calendula flowers,

lavendar, saffron, honeysuckle, cardoman, etc. They do also contain vegetable

cellulose (I dont know exactly what that is) and they are certified organic. I

do love the bottle they came in, it is a lovely size glass bottle. I will use

it for something else later on after they are gone. Wait, I found a link, this

is them right here. I won't buy them again though, first of all because they

are too expensive and second of all, they taste too green for me.

>

>

http://www.mynaturalmarket.com/Pure-Synergy-Organic-Vita-Min-Herb-Multi-for-Wome\

n.html?osCsid=39a85f27a3a7084a36884dd52f9a2f15

>

>

> I guess I will just finish them up and not use them anymore. Thanks for the

tips always.

>

>

>

I agree, that's what I am going to do from now on. My only problem is that I fill up my 64 oz container just for my one smoothie alone. It is yummy though. I dont know how to make small ones because I want to put everything and the kitchen sink in there. Today my morning smoothie had spinach, wheat grass, spirulina, maca, banana, orange, apple, kiwi, banana, strawberries, flax seed, homemade soy milk and white beans in it. No sponge though, lol.

> > From: berrywell@...> Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 19:30:02 +0000> Subject: Re: Vitamin question> > I am sure they are just fine, but I am a fan of getting vitamins from your smoothie or juice-no need for ALL of those ingredients, since many are repeats of the same nutrients. I think marketing just makes people feel like they are getting more for their money with more stuff thrown in, lol. As for "cellulose"-think SPONGE...yes, like your kitchen dish sponge! Much of the "vegetable cellulose" is nothing more than the discarded chaff and unusable parts of veggies dehydrated and ground up to form a filler-blekkk. Better to toss some fresh greens, seeds and grasses into the Vitamix, in my mind!> > >

One thing to keep in mind is that calories count. Most vegetables are pretty low in calories but fruit contains many sugars, carbs, and calories. The banana and kiwi for instance you put in your smoothie added over 200 calories alone. The first thing I do after looking at a recipe that interests me is to see how many servings it has. Since I am making them for only me I usually only want one or two servings at most. I only choose two when I am making one to have later, in my lunch for instance. I then calculate how much of any ingredient I need to per serving. Banana freezes very well so it is easy to add only a slice or so instead of adding the whole thing. I have a kitchen scale that is handy but once you get the hang of it you will find you don't have to rely on one. Here is an article that may help in your smoothie construction. Tom http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-make-the-perfect-smoothie.aspx From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of NavarroSent: Saturday, January 21, 2012 2:42 PM Subject: RE: Re: Vitamin question I agree, that's what I am going to do from now on. My only problem is that I fill up my 64 oz container just for my one smoothie alone. It is yummy though. I dont know how to make small ones because I want to put everything and the kitchen sink in there. Today my morning smoothie had spinach, wheat grass, spirulina, maca, banana, orange, apple, kiwi, banana, strawberries, flax seed, homemade soy milk and white beans in it. No sponge though, lol. > > From: berrywell@...> Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 19:30:02 +0000> Subject: Re: Vitamin question> > I am sure they are just fine, but I am a fan of getting vitamins from your smoothie or juice-no need for ALL of those ingredients, since many are repeats of the same nutrients. I think marketing just makes people feel like they are getting more for their money with more stuff thrown in, lol. As for " cellulose " -think SPONGE...yes, like your kitchen dish sponge! Much of the " vegetable cellulose " is nothing more than the discarded chaff and unusable parts of veggies dehydrated and ground up to form a filler-blekkk. Better to toss some fresh greens, seeds and grasses into the Vitamix, in my mind!> > >

I learned a long time ago to listen to MY body-not an "RDA" chart, which is largely very inaccurate and misleading. If I feel a bit run down, I will boost my B12, if a bit sniffy, Vitamin C gets pumped up, all through adding the appropriate food to my soup or smoothie. My variety is limited due to food allergies, but if I had none, I would just rotate a good balance of greens, fruits, veggies, seeds, nuts, grains, and proteins-such as quinoa or beans, to make sure I was getting what I need. If you learn what foods contain what vitamins, and what vitamins effect different parts of your body, AND you learn to LISTEN to what your body tells you, it is pretty darned easy to whip up just what the body wants. :)Sent from my iPadOn Jan 21, 2012, at 4:39 PM, Velda <solomon@...> wrote:

I really liked your "learn to make your own vitamins using whole foods".

How much calculating does it take to know you are getting a good balance

of vitamins using whole foods? Or do you simply use a wide variety of

foods, and know you probably got it right?

Velda

On 1/21/2012 9:57 AM, wrote:

> Not a dumb question at all...I don't recommend putting them in your smoothie. First, they may be a "time release" type thing, meaning they should disolve over time. Second, if they taste and smell like hay, so will your smoothie. Third, they are bound together with binders and fillers which won't do anything for the texture of your smoothie (I have tried such things in the past, with not so good results!) My best suggestion would be to use up the bottle that you have, then learn to make your OWN "vitamins" using whole foods in the Vitamix! Way tastier, more absorbed by the body...and cheaper!

>

>

>

>

>>

>> I just got some new vegetarian vitamins pills that I had never tried before. They are kinda big pills and they smell like hay, they taste kinda yucky. The dosage says to take between 3-6 of them a day. I was wondering, do you think they are just as effective if I throw them in with my morning smoothie and mix them in. That's probably a dumb question huh?

>>

>>

>>

>

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

>

…and I go the opposite direction… how few ingredients can I use and still enjoy the smoothie?One of my all time favorites when oranges are ripe and sweet:Orange (peeled with white pith remaining)Romaine (one head if small, 1/2 head if large)water and iceStevia if neededSurprisingly yummy!

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Jan 21, 2012, at 2:42 PM, Navarro wrote:

I agree, that's what I am going to do from now on. My only problem is that I fill up my 64 oz container just for my one smoothie alone. It is yummy though. I dont know how to make small ones because I want to put everything and the kitchen sink in there. Today my morning smoothie had spinach, wheat grass, spirulina, maca, banana, orange, apple, kiwi, banana, strawberries, flax seed, homemade soy milk and white beans in it. No sponge though, lol.

> > From: berrywell@...> Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 19:30:02 +0000> Subject: Re: Vitamin question> > I am sure they are just fine, but I am a fan of getting vitamins from your smoothie or juice-no need for ALL of those ingredients, since many are repeats of the same nutrients. I think marketing just makes people feel like they are getting more for their money with more stuff thrown in, lol. As for "cellulose"-think SPONGE...yes, like your kitchen dish sponge! Much of the "vegetable cellulose" is nothing more than the discarded chaff and unusable parts of veggies dehydrated and ground up to form a filler-blekkk. Better to toss some fresh greens, seeds and grasses into the Vitamix, in my mind!> > >

I can no longer eat citrus or tomatoes because of the acid. It gives me bad heart burn. I bought some low acid tomato seeds and will try growing that. I hope that works since I love tomatoes.

Lucille

Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2012 9:05 PM

Subject: Re: Vitamin question

…and I go the opposite direction… how few ingredients can I use and still enjoy the smoothie?

One of my all time favorites when oranges are ripe and sweet:

Orange (peeled with white pith remaining)

Romaine (one head if small, 1/2 head if large)

water and ice

Stevia if needed

Surprisingly yummy!

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Jan 21, 2012, at 2:42 PM, Navarro wrote: