wondering how long you would steam to get the bright-green greens and if that

would be long enough to cook the bacon.

Thanks,

Barb

>

> One thing that I like to do is throw in some cayenne pepper. It adds a

different kind of heat and has a whole pile of health benefit to boot. I also

saw a recipe for blender chilli. It had beans, greens and some spices. It is

interesting, though- when does a smoothie become a soup?

>

>

> This mornings offering:

>

> 1 beet

> 2 oranges

> 2 large kale leaves

> 1 (frozen) banana

> Chia seeds

> Water

>

> All raw and exceptionally delicious!

>

>

> No cayenne this AM, but it would've been good.

>

Hello Barb,Excellent question!I keep the bacon in the freezer (I do hot green soups a LOT for a spell, then sometimes it can be a while before I make it again. In the fridge, the bacon would not keep). I roll up each strip of bacon, then lay them out on a cookie sheet and put them into the freezer to "flash freeze" them so they won't stick together, then I put them in a zip lock bag for long-term storage in the freezer.When I'm going to make Hot Green Soup, I take out one of the nitrite/nitrate free :-) strips of bacon, and put it in the bottom of the steamer basked (closest to the heat) I put only about a cup of water in the bottom of the steamer (because I'm going to use that water in the soup and I don't want too much!) The water in the bottom of the steamer catches some of the nutrients and using that water in he soup keeps them from going to waste :-)I have never timed how long I steam them, I know they are good and hot when I can see that they have shrunk down in size significantly. Because it is steamed and not fried, the bacon still looks uncooked, but I've been making this soup for a little over a year now, and feel completely confident that it is completely cooked. If you are concerned, there would be nothing wrong with pre-heating the bacon on a griddle. You wouldn't have to cook it until it was crispy, just until it was completely thawed and really hot - then, with the additional heat from steaming, you could feel very confident that it was completely cooked.Thanks for asking - Hope this is helpful!BTW, if you want to make the Green Soups "creamier", adding a hand full of cashews is a REALLY nice touch, also, to make it "cheesy" adding Nutritional Yeast is a great thing to do! Link on the difference between Nutritional Yeast (cheesy flavor) and Brewer's Yeast: http://www.nutritionalyeastguide.com/brewers-yeast-vs-nutritional-yeast/

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Feb 4, 2012, at 8:47 AM, barbmanchee wrote:

Do you use cooked bacon? Perhaps a silly question but I am new at this. I was wondering how long you would steam to get the bright-green greens and if that would be long enough to cook the bacon.

Thanks,

Barb

>

> One thing that I like to do is throw in some cayenne pepper. It adds a different kind of heat and has a whole pile of health benefit to boot. I also saw a recipe for blender chilli. It had beans, greens and some spices. It is interesting, though- when does a smoothie become a soup?

>

>

>

> 1 beet

> 2 oranges

> 2 large kale leaves

> 1 (frozen) banana

> Chia seeds

> Water

>

>

>

>

Just one other thought - if you don't want to eat pork products, smoked turkey would give a nice flavor too! If using smoked turkey, I'd add a source of fat (or eat some healthy nuts with the meal) because fats help you absorb the nutrients in the greens:http://www.naturalnews.com/001545.html

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Feb 4, 2012, at 9:17 AM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:

Hello Barb,Excellent question!I keep the bacon in the freezer (I do hot green soups a LOT for a spell, then sometimes it can be a while before I make it again. In the fridge, the bacon would not keep). I roll up each strip of bacon, then lay them out on a cookie sheet and put them into the freezer to "flash freeze" them so they won't stick together, then I put them in a zip lock bag for long-term storage in the freezer.When I'm going to make Hot Green Soup, I take out one of the nitrite/nitrate free :-) strips of bacon, and put it in the bottom of the steamer basked (closest to the heat) I put only about a cup of water in the bottom of the steamer (because I'm going to use that water in the soup and I don't want too much!) The water in the bottom of the steamer catches some of the nutrients and using that water in he soup keeps them from going to waste :-)I have never timed how long I steam them, I know they are good and hot when I can see that they have shrunk down in size significantly. Because it is steamed and not fried, the bacon still looks uncooked, but I've been making this soup for a little over a year now, and feel completely confident that it is completely cooked. If you are concerned, there would be nothing wrong with pre-heating the bacon on a griddle. You wouldn't have to cook it until it was crispy, just until it was completely thawed and really hot - then, with the additional heat from steaming, you could feel very confident that it was completely cooked.Thanks for asking - Hope this is helpful!BTW, if you want to make the Green Soups "creamier", adding a hand full of cashews is a REALLY nice touch, also, to make it "cheesy" adding Nutritional Yeast is a great thing to do! Link on the difference between Nutritional Yeast (cheesy flavor) and Brewer's Yeast: http://www.nutritionalyeastguide.com/brewers-yeast-vs-nutritional-yeast/

Do you use cooked bacon? Perhaps a silly question but I am new at this. I was wondering how long you would steam to get the bright-green greens and if that would be long enough to cook the bacon.

Thanks,

Barb

>

> One thing that I like to do is throw in some cayenne pepper. It adds a different kind of heat and has a whole pile of health benefit to boot. I also saw a recipe for blender chilli. It had beans, greens and some spices. It is interesting, though- when does a smoothie become a soup?

>

>

>

> 1 beet

> 2 oranges

> 2 large kale leaves

> 1 (frozen) banana

> Chia seeds

> Water

>

>

>

>

Does a regular grocery store sell nitrite/nitrate free bacon? Or where do you get that?

Lucille

Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 9:17 AM

Subject: Re: Hot Green Soups + Re: Winter Smoothies?

Hello Barb,

Excellent question!

I keep the bacon in the freezer (I do hot green soups a LOT for a spell, then sometimes it can be a while before I make it again. In the fridge, the bacon would not keep). I roll up each strip of bacon, then lay them out on a cookie sheet and put them into the freezer to "flash freeze" them so they won't stick together, then I put them in a zip lock bag for long-term storage in the freezer.

When I'm going to make Hot Green Soup, I take out one of the nitrite/nitrate free :-) strips of bacon, and put it in the bottom of the steamer basked (closest to the heat) I put only about a cup of water in the bottom of the steamer (because I'm going to use that water in the soup and I don't want too much!) The water in the bottom of the steamer catches some of the nutrients and using that water in he soup keeps them from going to waste :-)

I have never timed how long I steam them, I know they are good and hot when I can see that they have shrunk down in size significantly. Because it is steamed and not fried, the bacon still looks uncooked, but I've been making this soup for a little over a year now, and feel completely confident that it is completely cooked. If you are concerned, there would be nothing wrong with pre-heating the bacon on a griddle. You wouldn't have to cook it until it was crispy, just until it was completely thawed and really hot - then, with the additional heat from steaming, you could feel very confident that it was completely cooked.

Thanks for asking - Hope this is helpful!

BTW, if you want to make the Green Soups "creamier", adding a hand full of cashews is a REALLY nice touch, also, to make it "cheesy" adding Nutritional Yeast is a great thing to do!

Link on the difference between Nutritional Yeast (cheesy flavor) and Brewer's Yeast:

http://www.nutritionalyeastguide.com/brewers-yeast-vs-nutritional-yeast/

Do you use cooked bacon? Perhaps a silly question but I am new at this. I was wondering how long you would steam to get the bright-green greens and if that would be long enough to cook the bacon.Thanks,Barb> > One thing that I like to do is throw in some cayenne pepper. It adds a different kind of heat and has a whole pile of health benefit to boot. I also saw a recipe for blender chilli. It had beans, greens and some spices. It is interesting, though- when does a smoothie become a soup? > > > This mornings offering:> > 1 beet> 2 oranges> 2 large kale leaves> 1 (frozen) banana> Chia seeds> Water> > All raw and exceptionally delicious!> > > No cayenne this AM, but it would've been good.>

Yes - you have to read the labels. I would prefer to source my bacon from a local farm where I know how the animals are treated (and how they are slaughtered) but I haven't done this yet. I get my grass-fed beef from a local source that I know. I'll get to sourcing my bacon when I can :-)In the meantime, the stuff at the store is what I am using and you should be able to find it too I would think. I shop at Publix.

On Feb 4, 2012, at 10:50 AM, Lucille wrote:

Does a regular grocery store sell nitrite/nitrate free bacon? Or where do you get that?

Lucille

Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 9:17 AM

Subject: Re: Hot Green Soups + Re: Winter Smoothies?

Hello Barb,

Excellent question!

I keep the bacon in the freezer (I do hot green soups a LOT for a spell, then sometimes it can be a while before I make it again. In the fridge, the bacon would not keep). I roll up each strip of bacon, then lay them out on a cookie sheet and put them into the freezer to "flash freeze" them so they won't stick together, then I put them in a zip lock bag for long-term storage in the freezer.

When I'm going to make Hot Green Soup, I take out one of the nitrite/nitrate free :-) strips of bacon, and put it in the bottom of the steamer basked (closest to the heat) I put only about a cup of water in the bottom of the steamer (because I'm going to use that water in the soup and I don't want too much!) The water in the bottom of the steamer catches some of the nutrients and using that water in he soup keeps them from going to waste :-)

I have never timed how long I steam them, I know they are good and hot when I can see that they have shrunk down in size significantly. Because it is steamed and not fried, the bacon still looks uncooked, but I've been making this soup for a little over a year now, and feel completely confident that it is completely cooked. If you are concerned, there would be nothing wrong with pre-heating the bacon on a griddle. You wouldn't have to cook it until it was crispy, just until it was completely thawed and really hot - then, with the additional heat from steaming, you could feel very confident that it was completely cooked.

Thanks for asking - Hope this is helpful!

BTW, if you want to make the Green Soups "creamier", adding a hand full of cashews is a REALLY nice touch, also, to make it "cheesy" adding Nutritional Yeast is a great thing to do!

Link on the difference between Nutritional Yeast (cheesy flavor) and Brewer's Yeast:

http://www.nutritionalyeastguide.com/brewers-yeast-vs-nutritional-yeast/

Do you use cooked bacon? Perhaps a silly question but I am new at this. I was wondering how long you would steam to get the bright-green greens and if that would be long enough to cook the bacon.Thanks,Barb> > One thing that I like to do is throw in some cayenne pepper. It adds a different kind of heat and has a whole pile of health benefit to boot. I also saw a recipe for blender chilli. It had beans, greens and some spices. It is interesting, though- when does a smoothie become a soup? > > > This mornings offering:> > 1 beet> 2 oranges> 2 large kale leaves> 1 (frozen) banana> Chia seeds> Water> > All raw and exceptionally delicious!> > > No cayenne this AM, but it would've been good.>