RemedySpot.com

Using the Vitamix as a Food Processor - was - Backpacking foods

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Although the Cuisinart is obviously the best choice for doing large volumes of "food processing" (I use mine during the holidays to make cranberry salad and for any time I need a lot of food chopped), but the Vitamix is so much easier to clean, that I never bother to pull out the big food processor when I only need enough for one recipe. If what I am going to chop takes only 5-6 "batches" in the Vitamix - I use it every time!For example: /photos/album/292991745/pic/list?order=ordinalI never would have pulled out the Food Processor for this small amount…I put eggs in the Vitamix, then (while running on variable 1-3) drop in a variety of veggies (not all of these) red bell pepper, a slice of onion, some slices of celery, possibly a baby carrot or two - or whatever veggies I want to use, and the eggs get scrambled at the same time that the veggies get chopped up! Increased veggie consumption with very little bother. The Vitamix will never replace a food processor for someone who cooks a lot, but for the person who likes to get in and out of the kitchen as quickly as possible, with as little mess to clean up as possible, the Vitamix can help increase the use of chopped veggies...

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Feb 22, 2012, at 5:48 AM, Tom Matuschak wrote:

While the Vitamix is a wonderful machine and is very versatile there are some things that a food processor does do better and slicing and shredding is definitely one. I have the same Cuisinart in this video and while this video was edited the part that shows him adding vegetables down the tube it is just about that fast. I bought my Cuisinart DLC-7 in the early 80's and it is still runs like new. If you were to do the amount of shredding and slicing as in this video I would suggest you dust off your food processor. Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Velda Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:22 PM Subject: Re: Re: Backpacking foods Watching this video really triggered a few ideas.In addition to your own chosen variety of veggies (which can be dry or wet chopped in VM-look for Lea Ann's directions or other VM directions for use of dry container), which can be then dehydrated and mixed as show in Sergei's video, you can also cook, then dry brown or white rice, and dehydrate it to add to the soup. I am thinking of so many varieties of soups that could be dehydrated after prep of veggies in the VM. I think, like fruit leather, you could make almost any "creamy soup" (creamy in that it has been run in VM until smooth, not because of added milk products, and dry like fruit leather, only crispy and broken up to rehydrate on a trip using heated water. Sweet potato or squash, pureed and dried work well in dehydrator. There is a online video by a gal called BexarPrepper, on you tube who shows preparation of pumpkin using blender to puree it after cooking, then drying on a sheet and broken up in chunks, then she shows putting chunks in boiling water and how well it rehydrates.Also thinking of using the VM to make coconut butter bites as Lea Ann does, adding in chocolate chips, nuts, or dried fruits, and poured into mini muffin cups and firmed up. Might be tricky if backpacking in hot weather as the coconut would have to be eaten with a spoon perhaps. LOLMust be many other ideas out there too.VeldaOn 2/21/2012 5:38 PM, wrote:> Here's Sergei Boutenko's video about dehydrating foods for backpacking. I don't know that it has any new ideas for you, but you might like his website where he talks about wild edibles.>>

>>> ------------------------------------>> Please bookmark these pages:>> /links/> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)>> /links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!