RemedySpot.com

Re: Backpacking foods-now OT 's project

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Thanks-but THIS project is " no mess " in the MAIN house anyway, and is LOADS of

fun! I recently did a radio interview about RV and small space living, and it

woke up the part of me that has be totally interested in the " tiny house "

movement for years. Tiny House living, or downscaling, is people making houses

out of small structures and getting rid of stuff-since I was already in that

process for the purpose of moving in to my RV, I decided to carry it a step

further, and figured out what to do with my house in the process! I had planned

to sell my home and live full time in my RV once my daughter goes off to

college, but REALLY didn't want to have to sell my home, since it is handicapped

equiped specifically for me, and I have my gardening down to a science, but I

can't afford to support a home AND be on the road in my RV....SOOOOO...I am

currently building a " tiny house " up the hill from my house, which will serve as

my " base " when I am not on the road, and 6 college kids are renting out my

house, which is a perfect arrangement for them too! (My daughter is going out

of state to college, but her friends that I have known all of their lives are

staying local-a nice 4 year college is only 13 miles from our house, so they are

going to " dorm style " my house and live here-all paying cheap for them

rent-enough to cover the mortgage, so I get to keep the house AND live on the

property! Most " tiny houses " are about 89 square feet, but due to having to

accommodate my wheelchair, I have to " upscale " to a whopping 200 square feet,

lol! The house will have electric power (for my Vitamix, of course), but will

primarily be solar powered, eco friendly, and off grid! I am having a ball with

it-the contractor is up there now hammering away...sadly, until they get a path

run for my power chair, I can't get up there to see it...but THAT should be done

today!! Considering that my house sits on less than .4 acre, this is a hoot

that I will have a " cottage " on the property! You can get an idea of what I am

doing by googling " tiny house living " . I will be blogging all of it-good fun!

> >> Are there any backpackers out there?

> >> I'm vegetarian and wondering if anyone has made any food for backpacking

using their Vitamix and a dehydrator.

> >> I usually pack the standard fare- granola bars, trail mix, fruit leather,

tofu jerky and Backpacker's Pantry dinners (just add boiled water to the pouch).

> >> I did a trial of vegetarian shepherd's pie that I compiled at home + added

to a ziploc bag (using a homemade foil cozy for insulating). It was great! Now

that I have a Vitamix I wanted to get some tried + true recipes.

> >> Anyone care to share?

> >> thanks!

> >>

> >

> >

> >

> > ------------------------------------

> >

> > Please bookmark these pages:

> >

> > /links/

> > (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers,

Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added

to)

> >

> >

/links/IMPORTANT_VitamixE\

nthusiasts_Membership__001327149393/

> > PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you

unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of

Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from

coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page

and read messages online!

Thanks for sharing your exciting project. You are lucky to get off the grid. I

think I would rather net-meter unless I had fuel cells to store energy. I hope

you have room for your indoor gardens. I would have a hard time living in 200

sq feet.

Amy

>

> Thanks-but THIS project is " no mess " in the MAIN house anyway, and is LOADS of

college, but REALLY didn't want to have to sell my home, since it is handicapped

currently building a " tiny house " up the hill from my house, which will serve as

my " base " when I am not on the road, and 6 college kids are renting out my

house, which is a perfect arrangement for them too! (My daughter is going out

of state to college, but her friends that I have known all of their lives are

staying local-a nice 4 year college is only 13 miles from our house, so they are

going to " dorm style " my house and live here-all paying cheap for them

rent-enough to cover the mortgage, so I get to keep the house AND live on the

property! Most " tiny houses " are about 89 square feet, but due to having to

accommodate my wheelchair, I have to " upscale " to a whopping 200 square feet,

lol! The house will have electric power (for my Vitamix, of course), but will

primarily be solar powered, eco friendly, and off grid! I am having a ball with

it-the contractor is up there now hammering away...sadly, until they get a path

run for my power chair, I can't get up there to see it...but THAT should be done

today!! Considering that my house sits on less than .4 acre, this is a hoot

that I will have a " cottage " on the property! You can get an idea of what I am

doing by googling " tiny house living " . I will be blogging all of it-good fun!

>

>

>

>

Thanks-no room for my indoor gardens, sadly, but I am "gutter gardening" the whole side of the tiny house, so I will make do with that during the season. This project is a hoot! Sent from my iPadOn Feb 22, 2012, at 9:54 AM, "apricot855" <apricot043@...> wrote:

Thanks for sharing your exciting project. You are lucky to get off the grid. I think I would rather net-meter unless I had fuel cells to store energy. I hope you have room for your indoor gardens. I would have a hard time living in 200 sq feet.

Amy

>

> Thanks-but THIS project is "no mess"in the MAIN house anyway, and is LOADS of fun! I recently did a radio interview about RV and small space living, and it woke up the part of me that has be totally interested in the "tiny house" movement for years. Tiny House living, or downscaling, is people making houses out of small structures and getting rid of stuff-since I was already in that process for the purpose of moving in to my RV, I decided to carry it a step further, and figured out what to do with my house in the process! I had planned to sell my home and live full time in my RV once my daughter goes off to college, but REALLY didn't want to have to sell my home, since it is handicapped equiped specifically for me, and I have my gardening down to a science, but I can't afford to support a home AND be on the road in my RV....SOOOOO...I am currently building a "tiny house" up the hill from my house, which will serve as my "base" when I am not on the road, and 6 college kids are renting out my house, which is a perfect arrangement for them too! (My daughter is going out of state to college, but her friends that I have known all of their lives are staying local-a nice 4 year college is only 13 miles from our house, so they are going to "dorm style" my house and live here-all paying cheap for them rent-enough to cover the mortgage, so I get to keep the house AND live on the property! Most "tiny houses" are about 89 square feet, but due to having to accommodate my wheelchair, I have to "upscale" to a whopping 200 square feet, lol! The house will have electric power (for my Vitamix, of course), but will primarily be solar powered, eco friendly, and off grid! I am having a ball with it-the contractor is up there now hammering away...sadly, until they get a path run for my power chair, I can't get up there to see it...but THAT should be done today!! Considering that my house sits on less than .4 acre, this is a hoot that I will have a "cottage" on the property! You can get an idea of what I am doing by googling "tiny house living". I will be blogging all of it-good fun!

>

>

>

>

=

, this sounds so exciting! And what a wonderful solution to the conundrum of how to afford keeping both a home base and be able to RV it a good bit of the time. Will the kids renting your house also keep up your garden? If so, that would be the icing on the cake!I can't wait to see pics of your "cottage"! FrannySent from my iPhoneOn Feb 22, 2012, at 8:27 AM, "" <berrywell@...> wrote:

Thanks-but THIS project is "no mess"in the MAIN house anyway, and is LOADS of fun! I recently did a radio interview about RV and small space living, and it woke up the part of me that has be totally interested in the "tiny house" movement for years. Tiny House living, or downscaling, is people making houses out of small structures and getting rid of stuff-since I was already in that process for the purpose of moving in to my RV, I decided to carry it a step further, and figured out what to do with my house in the process! I had planned to sell my home and live full time in my RV once my daughter goes off to college, but REALLY didn't want to have to sell my home, since it is handicapped equiped specifically for me, and I have my gardening down to a science, but I can't afford to support a home AND be on the road in my RV....SOOOOO...I am currently building a "tiny house" up the hill from my house, which will serve as my "base" when I am not on the road, and 6 college kids are renting out my house, which is a perfect arrangement for them too! (My daughter is going out of state to college, but her friends that I have known all of their lives are staying local-a nice 4 year college is only 13 miles from our house, so they are going to "dorm style" my house and live here-all paying cheap for them rent-enough to cover the mortgage, so I get to keep the house AND live on the property! Most "tiny houses" are about 89 square feet, but due to having to accommodate my wheelchair, I have to "upscale" to a whopping 200 square feet, lol! The house will have electric power (for my Vitamix, of course), but will primarily be solar powered, eco friendly, and off grid! I am having a ball with it-the contractor is up there now hammering away...sadly, until they get a path run for my power chair, I can't get up there to see it...but THAT should be done today!! Considering that my house sits on less than .4 acre, this is a hoot that I will have a "cottage" on the property! You can get an idea of what I am doing by googling "tiny house living". I will be blogging all of it-good fun!

> >> I'm vegetarian and wondering if anyone has made any food for backpacking using their Vitamix and a dehydrator.

> >> I usually pack the standard fare- granola bars, trail mix, fruit leather, tofu jerky and Backpacker's Pantry dinners (just add boiled water to the pouch).

> >> I did a trial of vegetarian shepherd's pie that I compiled at home + added to a ziploc bag (using a homemade foil cozy for insulating). It was great! Now that I have a Vitamix I wanted to get some tried + true recipes.

> >> thanks!

> >>

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > /links/

> > (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)

> >

> > /links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/

> > PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!

Okay, disregard previous questions, lol. Gutter gardening - fantastic! :)FrannySent from my iPhoneOn Feb 22, 2012, at 9:05 AM, Berry <berrywell@...> wrote:

Thanks-no room for my indoor gardens, sadly, but I am "gutter gardening" the whole side of the tiny house, so I will make do with that during the season. This project is a hoot! Sent from my iPadOn Feb 22, 2012, at 9:54 AM, "apricot855" <apricot043@...> wrote:

Thanks for sharing your exciting project. You are lucky to get off the grid. I think I would rather net-meter unless I had fuel cells to store energy. I hope you have room for your indoor gardens. I would have a hard time living in 200 sq feet.

Amy

>

> Thanks-but THIS project is "no mess"in the MAIN house anyway, and is LOADS of fun! I recently did a radio interview about RV and small space living, and it woke up the part of me that has be totally interested in the "tiny house" movement for years. Tiny House living, or downscaling, is people making houses out of small structures and getting rid of stuff-since I was already in that process for the purpose of moving in to my RV, I decided to carry it a step further, and figured out what to do with my house in the process! I had planned to sell my home and live full time in my RV once my daughter goes off to college, but REALLY didn't want to have to sell my home, since it is handicapped equiped specifically for me, and I have my gardening down to a science, but I can't afford to support a home AND be on the road in my RV....SOOOOO...I am currently building a "tiny house" up the hill from my house, which will serve as my "base" when I am not on the road, and 6 college kids are renting out my house, which is a perfect arrangement for them too! (My daughter is going out of state to college, but her friends that I have known all of their lives are staying local-a nice 4 year college is only 13 miles from our house, so they are going to "dorm style" my house and live here-all paying cheap for them rent-enough to cover the mortgage, so I get to keep the house AND live on the property! Most "tiny houses" are about 89 square feet, but due to having to accommodate my wheelchair, I have to "upscale" to a whopping 200 square feet, lol! The house will have electric power (for my Vitamix, of course), but will primarily be solar powered, eco friendly, and off grid! I am having a ball with it-the contractor is up there now hammering away...sadly, until they get a path run for my power chair, I can't get up there to see it...but THAT should be done today!! Considering that my house sits on less than .4 acre, this is a hoot that I will have a "cottage" on the property! You can get an idea of what I am doing by googling "tiny house living". I will be blogging all of it-good fun!

>

>

>

>

=

YES! The college kids are excited about the gardens-most of them have been around me since they were toddlers, and have piddled around with the gardens over the years, so they will help me tend to them-one of them had never seen a carrot, let alone eaten one, until she plucked one from the ground at my house! This is such a great arrangement for all of us-the kids get cheap housing, fully furnished, wi fi, tv, electric, etc, for next to nothing, their parents all know and trust me and are all on board, so win-win all the way around! I get to be "dorm mom" without having to actually be in the same house, lolSent from my iPadOn Feb 22, 2012, at 10:33 AM, Franny Lesniak <frannyfly@...> wrote:

, this sounds so exciting! And what a wonderful solution to the conundrum of how to afford keeping both a home base and be able to RV it a good bit of the time. Will the kids renting your house also keep up your garden? If so, that would be the icing on the cake!I can't wait to see pics of your "cottage"! FrannySent from my iPhoneOn Feb 22, 2012, at 8:27 AM, "" <berrywell@...> wrote:

Thanks-but THIS project is "no mess"in the MAIN house anyway, and is LOADS of fun! I recently did a radio interview about RV and small space living, and it woke up the part of me that has be totally interested in the "tiny house" movement for years. Tiny House living, or downscaling, is people making houses out of small structures and getting rid of stuff-since I was already in that process for the purpose of moving in to my RV, I decided to carry it a step further, and figured out what to do with my house in the process! I had planned to sell my home and live full time in my RV once my daughter goes off to college, but REALLY didn't want to have to sell my home, since it is handicapped equiped specifically for me, and I have my gardening down to a science, but I can't afford to support a home AND be on the road in my RV....SOOOOO...I am currently building a "tiny house" up the hill from my house, which will serve as my "base" when I am not on the road, and 6 college kids are renting out my house, which is a perfect arrangement for them too! (My daughter is going out of state to college, but her friends that I have known all of their lives are staying local-a nice 4 year college is only 13 miles from our house, so they are going to "dorm style" my house and live here-all paying cheap for them rent-enough to cover the mortgage, so I get to keep the house AND live on the property! Most "tiny houses" are about 89 square feet, but due to having to accommodate my wheelchair, I have to "upscale" to a whopping 200 square feet, lol! The house will have electric power (for my Vitamix, of course), but will primarily be solar powered, eco friendly, and off grid! I am having a ball with it-the contractor is up there now hammering away...sadly, until they get a path run for my power chair, I can't get up there to see it...but THAT should be done today!! Considering that my house sits on less than .4 acre, this is a hoot that I will have a "cottage" on the property! You can get an idea of what I am doing by googling "tiny house living". I will be blogging all of it-good fun!

> >> I'm vegetarian and wondering if anyone has made any food for backpacking using their Vitamix and a dehydrator.

> >> I usually pack the standard fare- granola bars, trail mix, fruit leather, tofu jerky and Backpacker's Pantry dinners (just add boiled water to the pouch).

> >> I did a trial of vegetarian shepherd's pie that I compiled at home + added to a ziploc bag (using a homemade foil cozy for insulating). It was great! Now that I have a Vitamix I wanted to get some tried + true recipes.

> >> thanks!

> >>

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > /links/

> > (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)

> >

> > PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!

thats awesome ! Awhile back I subscribed to the Tumbleweed homes... they are sooooo cute! I would looooove to live off the grid & live in a tiny house :) this is soo awesome!! Patti From: Berry <berrywell@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:14 AM Subject: Re: Re: Backpacking foods-now OT 's project

YES! The college kids are excited about the gardens-most of them have been around me since they were toddlers, and have piddled around with the gardens over the years, so they will help me tend to them-one of them had never seen a carrot, let alone eaten one, until she plucked one from the ground at my house! This is such a great arrangement for all of us-the kids get cheap housing, fully furnished, wi fi, tv, electric, etc, for next to nothing, their parents all know and trust me and are all on board, so win-win all the way around! I get to be "dorm mom" without having to actually be in the same house, lolSent from my iPadOn Feb 22, 2012, at 10:33 AM, Franny Lesniak <frannyfly@...> wrote:

Thanks-but THIS project is "no mess"in the MAIN house anyway, and is LOADS of fun! I recently did a radio interview about RV and small space living, and it woke up the part of me that has be totally interested in the "tiny house" movement for years. Tiny House living, or downscaling, is people making houses out of small structures and getting rid of stuff-since I was already in that process for the purpose of moving in to my RV, I decided to carry it a step further, and figured out what to do with my house in the process! I had planned to sell my home and live full time in my RV once my daughter goes off to college, but REALLY didn't want to have to sell my home, since it is handicapped equiped specifically for me, and I have my gardening down to a science, but I can't afford to support a home AND be on the road in my RV....SOOOOO...I am currently building a "tiny house" up the hill from my house, which will serve as my "base" when I am

not on the road, and 6 college kids are renting out my house, which is a perfect arrangement for them too! (My daughter is going out of state to college, but her friends that I have known all of their lives are staying local-a nice 4 year college is only 13 miles from our house, so they are going to "dorm style" my house and live here-all paying cheap for them rent-enough to cover the mortgage, so I get to keep the house AND live on the property! Most "tiny houses" are about 89 square feet, but due to having to accommodate my wheelchair, I have to "upscale" to a whopping 200 square feet, lol! The house will have electric power (for my Vitamix, of course), but will primarily be solar powered, eco friendly, and off grid! I am having a ball with it-the contractor is up there now hammering away...sadly, until they get a path run for my power chair, I can't get up there to see it...but THAT should be done today!! Considering that my house sits on less

than .4 acre, this is a hoot that I will have a "cottage" on the property! You can get an idea of what I am doing by googling "tiny house living". I will be blogging all of it-good fun!

> >> thanks!

> >>

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > /links/

> >

Thanks, Patti-it was actually the Tumbleweed models that got me inspired in the first place-simply charming! Come join me! Sent from my iPadOn Feb 22, 2012, at 12:30 PM, patti <patti720@...> wrote:

thats awesome ! Awhile back I subscribed to the Tumbleweed homes... they are sooooo cute! I would looooove to live off the grid & live in a tiny house :) this is soo awesome!! Patti From: Berry <berrywell@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:14 AM Subject: Re: Re: Backpacking foods-now OT 's project

Thanks-but THIS project is "no mess"in the MAIN house anyway, and is LOADS of fun! I recently did a radio interview about RV and small space living, and it woke up the part of me that has be totally interested in the "tiny house" movement for years. Tiny House living, or downscaling, is people making houses out of small structures and getting rid of stuff-since I was already in that process for the purpose of moving in to my RV, I decided to carry it a step further, and figured out what to do with my house in the process! I had planned to sell my home and live full time in my RV once my daughter goes off to college, but REALLY didn't want to have to sell my home, since it is handicapped equiped specifically for me, and I have my gardening down to a science, but I can't afford to support a home AND be on the road in my RV....SOOOOO...I am currently building a "tiny house" up the hill from my house, which will serve as my "base" when I am

not on the road, and 6 college kids are renting out my house, which is a perfect arrangement for them too! (My daughter is going out of state to college, but her friends that I have known all of their lives are staying local-a nice 4 year college is only 13 miles from our house, so they are going to "dorm style" my house and live here-all paying cheap for them rent-enough to cover the mortgage, so I get to keep the house AND live on the property! Most "tiny houses" are about 89 square feet, but due to having to accommodate my wheelchair, I have to "upscale" to a whopping 200 square feet, lol! The house will have electric power (for my Vitamix, of course), but will primarily be solar powered, eco friendly, and off grid! I am having a ball with it-the contractor is up there now hammering away...sadly, until they get a path run for my power chair, I can't get up there to see it...but THAT should be done today!! Considering that my house sits on less

than .4 acre, this is a hoot that I will have a "cottage" on the property! You can get an idea of what I am doing by googling "tiny house living". I will be blogging all of it-good fun!

> >> thanks!

> >>

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > /links/

> >

they are inspiring!!!! I think I saw it on tv & he was showing several of the models..so cute & practical. Ohh how I would love to!!! Patti From: Berry <berrywell@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:51 AM Subject: Re: Re: Backpacking foods-now OT 's project

Thanks, Patti-it was actually the Tumbleweed models that got me inspired in the first place-simply charming! Come join me! Sent from my iPadOn Feb 22, 2012, at 12:30 PM, patti <patti720@...> wrote:

> >> thanks!

> >>

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > /links/

> >

What a wonderful idea. Unfortunately, even though we have 3/4 of an

acre, here in town, our zoning would not allow such a building. I would

love to do that for my disabled son, to learn independence, but can not.

I think what you are doing is a great idea. You are already friends with

the renters and they will likely keep an eye on you as well, should you

have some sort of health crisis or other problem, they will notice and

make sure you are ok.

I look forward to pictures of your own project should you choose to

share. I have looked at the " tiny houses " and although I would have a

hard time currently living that way, I can see myself, should I end up

alone someday, being happy.

Velda

On 2/22/2012 6:27 AM, wrote:

> Thanks-but THIS project is " no mess " in the MAIN house anyway, and is LOADS of

my " base " when I am not on the road, and 6 college kids!

> are renting out my house, which is a perfect arrangement for them too! (My

daughter is going out of state to college, but her friends that I have known all

of their lives are staying local-a nice 4 year college is only 13 miles from our

house, so they are going to " dorm style " my house and live here-all paying cheap

for them rent-enough to cover the mortgage, so I get to keep the house AND live

on the property! Most " tiny houses " are about 89 square feet, but due to

having to accommodate my wheelchair, I have to " upscale " to a whopping 200

square feet, lol! The house will have electric power (for my Vitamix, of

course), but will primarily be solar powered, eco friendly, and off grid! I am

having a ball with it-the contractor is up there now hammering away...sadly,

until they get a path run for my power chair, I can't get up there to see

it...but THAT should be done today!! Considering that my house sits on less

than .4 acre, this is a hoot that I will have a " cottage " o!

> n the property! You can get an idea of what I am doing by googling " tiny

house living " . I will be blogging all of it-good fun!

>

>

>

>

>>>> Are there any backpackers out there?

>>>> I'm vegetarian and wondering if anyone has made any food for backpacking

using their Vitamix and a dehydrator.

>>>> I usually pack the standard fare- granola bars, trail mix, fruit leather,

tofu jerky and Backpacker's Pantry dinners (just add boiled water to the pouch).

>>>> I did a trial of vegetarian shepherd's pie that I compiled at home + added

to a ziploc bag (using a homemade foil cozy for insulating). It was great! Now

that I have a Vitamix I wanted to get some tried + true recipes.

>>>> Anyone care to share?

>>>> thanks!

>>>>

>>>

>>>

>>> ------------------------------------

>>>

>>> Please bookmark these pages:

>>>

>>> /links/

>>> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers,

Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added

to)

>>>

>>>

>>> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you

coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page

On 2/22/2012 1:57 PM, Velda wrote:

> our zoning would not allow such a building

If a tiny house is built on a trailer bed and moveable (at least in

theory) it will bypass zoning laws in many places. An Indiana friend of

mine has her disabled son in one and he is pretty independent it since

the small size=small chores/upkeep for the most part. When he is doing

well, it stays parked at a trailer park in town, when he slips and loses

grip which he does at times (usually because he wasn't taking his meds;

he consistently lies about it and is supposed to be taking them at Day

Program, but....he's sneaky, too) she has it pulled back into her back

yard. The zoning in their town would not allow for such a building on a

foundation, but has nothing to say about an " RV " (which is what they

call it) so long as it's not parked where it's visible from the road.

Worth checking.

I live in 470sf and am preparing to move to a 200sf house. I could do

fine in a little over 100sf except that I cannot bring myself to ditch

my woodstove, which necessarily requires a fair amount of clearance.

It's all a mind thing.....

SJ

Velda, you can totally get around zoning issues by putting it on a small trailer (even if it isn't functional), since it is then classified as an RV, not a structure or outbuilding. I have mine on breakaway style wheels, which allows me to keep it off the radar AND I can move it with me easily should I ever decide to. To further bypass zoning issues and permits, you can use composting toilets, camp style water heaters, and other things that don't require a permit. I am NOT one who shirks a reasonable zoning law, as I understand their purpose, but for something that is really no different than a simple garden shed, I refuse to follow their restrictive and silly rules. Strangely enough, I am doing this with the complete blessing (and amused interest) of my local building inspector AND local fire marshall, both of whom are family members of my ex-they are actually the ones that told me HOW to bypass the issues, lol. You can also do these completely solar, so no electric permit needed, but I want electric for my kitchen gadgets, so I did pull the 65 dollar permit and hired a licensed contractor for that part. Again, I will follow a rule if my safety and the safety of others are at stake. (I actually TRADED the electrical contractor the work in exchange for some garden equipment he wanted, so I am utilizing bartering at its finest, lol)Sent from my iPadOn Feb 22, 2012, at 1:57 PM, Velda <solomon@...> wrote:

What a wonderful idea. Unfortunately, even though we have 3/4 of an

acre, here in town, our zoning would not allow such a building. I would

love to do that for my disabled son, to learn independence, but can not.

I think what you are doing is a great idea. You are already friends with

the renters and they will likely keep an eye on you as well, should you

have some sort of health crisis or other problem, they will notice and

make sure you are ok.

I look forward to pictures of your own project should you choose to

share. I have looked at the "tiny houses" and although I would have a

hard time currently living that way, I can see myself, should I end up

Velda

> Thanks-but THIS project is "no mess"in the MAIN house anyway, and is LOADS of fun! I recently did a radio interview about RV and small space living, and it woke up the part of me that has be totally interested in the "tiny house" movement for years. Tiny House living, or downscaling, is people making houses out of small structures and getting rid of stuff-since I was already in that process for the purpose of moving in to my RV, I decided to carry it a step further, and figured out what to do with my house in the process! I had planned to sell my home and live full time in my RV once my daughter goes off to college, but REALLY didn't want to have to sell my home, since it is handicapped equiped specifically for me, and I have my gardening down to a science, but I can't afford to support a home AND be on the road in my RV....SOOOOO...I am currently building a "tiny house" up the hill from my house, which will serve as my "base" when I am not on the road, and 6 college kids!

> are renting out my house, which is a perfect arrangement for them too! (My daughter is going out of state to college, but her friends that I have known all of their lives are staying local-a nice 4 year college is only 13 miles from our house, so they are going to "dorm style" my house and live here-all paying cheap for them rent-enough to cover the mortgage, so I get to keep the house AND live on the property! Most "tiny houses" are about 89 square feet, but due to having to accommodate my wheelchair, I have to "upscale" to a whopping 200 square feet, lol! The house will have electric power (for my Vitamix, of course), but will primarily be solar powered, eco friendly, and off grid! I am having a ball with it-the contractor is up there now hammering away...sadly, until they get a path run for my power chair, I can't get up there to see it...but THAT should be done today!! Considering that my house sits on less than .4 acre, this is a hoot that I will have a "cottage" o!

> n the property! You can get an idea of what I am doing by googling "tiny house living". I will be blogging all of it-good fun!

>

>

>

>

>>>> I'm vegetarian and wondering if anyone has made any food for backpacking using their Vitamix and a dehydrator.

>>>> I usually pack the standard fare- granola bars, trail mix, fruit leather, tofu jerky and Backpacker's Pantry dinners (just add boiled water to the pouch).

>>>> I did a trial of vegetarian shepherd's pie that I compiled at home + added to a ziploc bag (using a homemade foil cozy for insulating). It was great! Now that I have a Vitamix I wanted to get some tried + true recipes.

>>>> thanks!

>>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>> /links/

>>> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)

>>>

>>> /links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/

>>> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!

Great idea, though we could not do it (we live on a hill and most of our

land is quite sloped). Our house has a daylight basement that has french

doors leading directly to the ground level back yard while our living

room is up at second story level from back yard, yet at ground level for

front door and yard. If our city even thinks someone is living in a non

regulated structure (rv or other wise) it comes after you. We were in

process of building a mobile sharpening business and had a home business

license and someone turned us in for " doing work " NOT in the house! And

we had to either get rid of the sharpening vehicle immediately or face

large fines. On the other hand, if someone else had owned the vehicle

and the business and we were employees (and did NOT have a home business

permit) we would have had no problem. We were never able to determine

who turned us in, but others have been turned in for various stupid

things-next door neighbor parked their RV in front of our house for a

few days while having work done on pool or something and ended up paying

a $600 fine because that " someone " turned them in as well. She and I

tried to figure out who it might be but have no clue because everyone on

our cul de sac knows them and knew the RV was only there for a few days

while they had work done. Technically the law now reads no RV parked on

street more than 48 hours in a month and the law is totally based on

being turned in as I talked to the traffic officer one time and she said

she does not have time to go looking so only comes to you if she is

given a complaint. We live in a nice city, but it has it's quirks, for

sure. I have thought many times it would be great to have a small house

here for our son, but for both above reasons (our city and our hill) it

just is not feasible. Maybe someday we will move.

Velda

On 2/22/2012 12:42 PM, sjc wrote:

> On 2/22/2012 1:57 PM, Velda wrote:

>> our zoning would not allow such a building

> If a tiny house is built on a trailer bed and moveable (at least in

> theory) it will bypass zoning laws in many places. An Indiana friend of

> mine has her disabled son in one and he is pretty independent it since

> the small size=small chores/upkeep for the most part. When he is doing

> well, it stays parked at a trailer park in town, when he slips and loses

> grip which he does at times (usually because he wasn't taking his meds;

> he consistently lies about it and is supposed to be taking them at Day

> Program, but....he's sneaky, too) she has it pulled back into her back

> yard. The zoning in their town would not allow for such a building on a

> foundation, but has nothing to say about an " RV " (which is what they

> call it) so long as it's not parked where it's visible from the road.

> Worth checking.

>

> I live in 470sf and am preparing to move to a 200sf house. I could do

> fine in a little over 100sf except that I cannot bring myself to ditch

> my woodstove, which necessarily requires a fair amount of clearance.

> It's all a mind thing.....

>

> SJ

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

> Please bookmark these pages:

>

> /links/

> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes,

and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)

>

>

> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you

Unfortunately not possible. Where would one hook up sewer, electric,

and water? Totally not accessible on our hill anywhere! If someone

saw a light in it at night and called city (and as I said earlier we

have a snitch in our neighborhood) the fine is very steep. I know

you said composting toilet, but who is going to maintain that? Not

me for sure. I have enough to do and my disabled son would not. I am

not trying to be difficult, it is something I have given thought to

and would not work here on this particular piece of land for us.

Velda

On 2/22/2012 1:41 PM, Berry wrote:

Velda, you can totally get around zoning issues by putting it

on a small trailer (even if it isn't functional), since it is

then classified as an RV, not a structure or outbuilding.  I

have mine on breakaway style wheels, which allows me to keep it

off the radar AND I can move it with me easily should I ever

decide to.  To further bypass zoning issues and permits, you can

use composting toilets, camp style water heaters, and other

things that don't require a permit.  I am NOT one who shirks a

reasonable zoning law, as I understand their purpose, but for

something that is really no different than a simple garden shed,

I refuse to follow their restrictive and silly rules.  Strangely

enough, I am doing this with the complete blessing (and amused

interest) of my local building inspector AND local fire

marshall, both of whom are family members of my ex-they are

actually the ones that told me HOW to bypass the issues, lol.

You can also do these complet!

ely solar, so no electric permit needed, but I want electric for

my kitchen gadgets, so I did pull the 65 dollar permit and hired

a licensed contractor for that part.  Again, I will follow a

rule if my safety and the safety of others are at stake.  (I

actually TRADED the electrical contractor the work in exchange

for some garden equipment he wanted, so I am utilizing bartering

at its finest, lol)

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 22, 2012, at 1:57 PM, Velda <solomon@...>

wrote:

What a wonderful idea. Unfortunately, even though we have

3/4 of an

acre, here in town, our zoning would not allow such a

building. I would

love to do that for my disabled son, to learn

independence, but can not.

I think what you are doing is a great idea. You are

already friends with

the renters and they will likely keep an eye on you as

well, should you

have some sort of health crisis or other problem, they

will notice and

make sure you are ok.

I look forward to pictures of your own project should you

choose to

share. I have looked at the "tiny houses" and although I

would have a

hard time currently living that way, I can see myself,

should I end up

Velda

> Thanks-but THIS project is "no mess"in the MAIN house

anyway, and is LOADS of fun! I recently did a radio

interview about RV and small space living, and it woke up

the part of me that has be totally interested in the "tiny

house" movement for years. Tiny House living, or

downscaling, is people making houses out of small

structures and getting rid of stuff-since I was already in

that process for the purpose of moving in to my RV, I

decided to carry it a step further, and figured out what

to do with my house in the process! I had planned to sell

my home and live full time in my RV once my daughter goes

off to college, but REALLY didn't want to have to sell my

home, since it is handicapped equiped specifically for me,

and I have my gardening down to a science, but I can't

afford to support a home AND be on the road in my

RV....SOOOOO...I am currently building a "tiny house" up

the hill from my house, which will serve as my "base" when

I am not on the road, and 6 college! kids!

> are renting out my house, which is a perfect

arrangement for them too! (My daughter is going out of

state to college, but her friends that I have known all of

their lives are staying local-a nice 4 year college is

only 13 miles from our house, so they are going to "dorm

style" my house and live here-all paying cheap for them

rent-enough to cover the mortgage, so I get to keep the

house AND live on the property! Most "tiny houses" are

about 89 square feet, but due to having to accommodate my

wheelchair, I have to "upscale" to a whopping 200 square

feet, lol! The house will have electric power (for my

Vitamix, of course), but will primarily be solar powered,

eco friendly, and off grid! I am having a ball with it-the

contractor is up there now hammering away...sadly, until

they get a path run for my power chair, I can't get up

there to see it...but THAT should be done today!!

Considering that my house sits on less than .4 acre, this

is a hoot that I will have a "cott!

age" o!

> n the property! You can get an idea of what I am

doing by googling "tiny house living". I will be blogging

all of it-good fun!

>

>

>

>

>>>> I'm vegetarian and wondering if anyone

has made any food for backpacking using their Vitamix and

a dehydrator.

>>>> I usually pack the standard fare- granola

bars, trail mix, fruit leather, tofu jerky and

Backpacker's Pantry dinners (just add boiled water to the

pouch).

>>>> I did a trial of vegetarian shepherd's

pie that I compiled at home + added to a ziploc bag (using

a homemade foil cozy for insulating). It was great! Now

that I have a Vitamix I wanted to get some tried + true

recipes.

>>>> thanks!

>>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>> /links/

>>> (this is the Links page where I save the

answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other

helpful information - this page is always being added to)

>>>

>>> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING

TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access

to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix

Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from

coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can

STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!

Groups Links

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>

>

>

>

>

> /links/

> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to

FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful

information - this page is always being added to)

>

> /links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/

> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH

MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the

Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom!

Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but

STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the

Links page and read messages online!

you truly are a queen of sustainable living. My hats off to you. You

are awesome and I'm impressed beyond words. I could not do what you do, but I

read your words with admiration and my hat is off to you. Do you have hens or a

stocked pond as well?

Amy

> On 2/22/2012 1:41 PM, Berry wrote:

> >

> >

> > Velda, you can totally get around zoning issues by putting it on a

> > small trailer (even if it isn't functional), since it is then

> > classified as an RV, not a structure or outbuilding. I have mine on

> > breakaway style wheels, which allows me to keep it off the radar AND I

> > can move it with me easily should I ever decide to. To further bypass

> > zoning issues and permits, you can use composting toilets, camp style

> > water heaters, and other things that don't require a permit. I am NOT

> > one who shirks a reasonable zoning law, as I understand their purpose,

> > but for something that is really no different than a simple garden

> > shed, I refuse to follow their restrictive and silly rules. Strangely

> > enough, I am doing this with the complete blessing (and amused

> > interest) of my local building inspector AND local fire marshall, both

> > of whom are family members of my ex-they are actually the ones that

> > told me HOW to bypass the issues, lol. You can also do these complet!

> > ely solar, so no electric permit needed, but I want electric for my

> > kitchen gadgets, so I did pull the 65 dollar permit and hired a

> > licensed contractor for that part. Again, I will follow a rule if my

> > safety and the safety of others are at stake. (I actually TRADED the

> > electrical contractor the work in exchange for some garden equipment

> > he wanted, so I am utilizing bartering at its finest, lol)

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

Aw, THANKS, Amy! Nothing special about me, except I was desperate enough to

learn to do for myself-too much poisoning from the outside world, lol. I DID

have hens, but WAY too much trouble...am considering farming some shrimp and

tilapia at some point, but haven't yet, lol!

> > >

> > >

> > > Velda, you can totally get around zoning issues by putting it on a

> > > small trailer (even if it isn't functional), since it is then

> > > classified as an RV, not a structure or outbuilding. I have mine on

> > > breakaway style wheels, which allows me to keep it off the radar AND I

> > > can move it with me easily should I ever decide to. To further bypass

> > > zoning issues and permits, you can use composting toilets, camp style

> > > water heaters, and other things that don't require a permit. I am NOT

> > > one who shirks a reasonable zoning law, as I understand their purpose,

> > > but for something that is really no different than a simple garden

> > > shed, I refuse to follow their restrictive and silly rules. Strangely

> > > enough, I am doing this with the complete blessing (and amused

> > > interest) of my local building inspector AND local fire marshall, both

> > > of whom are family members of my ex-they are actually the ones that

> > > told me HOW to bypass the issues, lol. You can also do these complet!

> > > ely solar, so no electric permit needed, but I want electric for my

> > > kitchen gadgets, so I did pull the 65 dollar permit and hired a

> > > licensed contractor for that part. Again, I will follow a rule if my

> > > safety and the safety of others are at stake. (I actually TRADED the

> > > electrical contractor the work in exchange for some garden equipment

> > > he wanted, so I am utilizing bartering at its finest, lol)

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

>

Oh, that is just rotten-what nosy people to go sticking their nose in! My lot is all up hill too-I have had to get pretty creative with the gardens and my "cottage" is at the top of the hill-one of the few things keeping me from going nuts on it right now, lol. Fortunately, I figured out years ago that the hill is WONDERFUL for growing climbing vines-if you plant them at the top of the hill, they will trail down, producing wonderful melons and fruits along the way-very cool...but I have to rely on my daughter to plant and tend to them. I am hoping once I am living at the TOP of the hill, I will be able to manage that part better when she is away at school. Luckily, I live in a small town that isn't too harsh with regulations and such...they did balk when I had a few chickens, but they were decent about it and told me to limit it to only 3, lol. That little project didn't last too long anyway, lol.Sent from my iPadOn Feb 22, 2012, at 6:46 PM, Velda <solomon@...> wrote:

Great idea, though we could not do it (we live on a hill and most of our

land is quite sloped). Our house has a daylight basement that has french

doors leading directly to the ground level back yard while our living

room is up at second story level from back yard, yet at ground level for

front door and yard. If our city even thinks someone is living in a non

regulated structure (rv or other wise) it comes after you. We were in

process of building a mobile sharpening business and had a home business

license and someone turned us in for "doing work" NOT in the house! And

we had to either get rid of the sharpening vehicle immediately or face

large fines. On the other hand, if someone else had owned the vehicle

and the business and we were employees (and did NOT have a home business

permit) we would have had no problem. We were never able to determine

who turned us in, but others have been turned in for various stupid

things-next door neighbor parked their RV in front of our house for a

few days while having work done on pool or something and ended up paying

a $600 fine because that "someone" turned them in as well. She and I

tried to figure out who it might be but have no clue because everyone on

our cul de sac knows them and knew the RV was only there for a few days

while they had work done. Technically the law now reads no RV parked on

street more than 48 hours in a month and the law is totally based on

being turned in as I talked to the traffic officer one time and she said

she does not have time to go looking so only comes to you if she is

given a complaint. We live in a nice city, but it has it's quirks, for

sure. I have thought many times it would be great to have a small house

here for our son, but for both above reasons (our city and our hill) it

Velda

> If a tiny house is built on a trailer bed and moveable (at least in

> theory) it will bypass zoning laws in many places. An Indiana friend of

> mine has her disabled son in one and he is pretty independent it since

> the small size=small chores/upkeep for the most part. When he is doing

> well, it stays parked at a trailer park in town, when he slips and loses

> grip which he does at times (usually because he wasn't taking his meds;

> he consistently lies about it and is supposed to be taking them at Day

> Program, but....he's sneaky, too) she has it pulled back into her back

> yard. The zoning in their town would not allow for such a building on a

> foundation, but has nothing to say about an "RV" (which is what they

> call it) so long as it's not parked where it's visible from the road.

> Worth checking.

>

> I live in 470sf and am preparing to move to a 200sf house. I could do

> fine in a little over 100sf except that I cannot bring myself to ditch

> my woodstove, which necessarily requires a fair amount of clearance.

>

> SJ

>

>

>

>

> /links/

> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)

>

> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!

It certainly may not be doable for everyone...but you KNOW by now how stubborn I am, lol. When presented with a no, I do my pigheaded best to make it happen. As I said, around here, there are ways around it, and none of the neighbors care-they KNOW I am always up to something whacky, lol. I have actually been surprised over the years what I have been able to accomplish on my steep hill. When I bought my house, I had ZERO interest or knowledge of gardening and such things, so the steep hills didn't worry me at all, but when I tried to make do with what I have, I learned that there are ways around most things, but certainly not where zoning and neighbors are an issue. I do live in the "city limits", but they are pretty relaxed about most things, fortunately!Sent from my iPadOn Feb 22, 2012, at 6:50 PM, Velda <solomon@...> wrote:

Unfortunately not possible. Where would one hook up sewer, electric,

and water? Totally not accessible on our hill anywhere! If someone

saw a light in it at night and called city (and as I said earlier we

have a snitch in our neighborhood) the fine is very steep. I know

you said composting toilet, but who is going to maintain that? Not

me for sure. I have enough to do and my disabled son would not. I am

not trying to be difficult, it is something I have given thought to

and would not work here on this particular piece of land for us.

Velda

Velda, you can totally get around zoning issues by putting it

on a small trailer (even if it isn't functional), since it is

then classified as an RV, not a structure or outbuilding. I

have mine on breakaway style wheels, which allows me to keep it

off the radar AND I can move it with me easily should I ever

decide to. To further bypass zoning issues and permits, you can

use composting toilets, camp style water heaters, and other

things that don't require a permit. I am NOT one who shirks a

reasonable zoning law, as I understand their purpose, but for

something that is really no different than a simple garden shed,

I refuse to follow their restrictive and silly rules. Strangely

enough, I am doing this with the complete blessing (and amused

marshall, both of whom are family members of my ex-they are

actually the ones that told me HOW to bypass the issues, lol.

You can also do these complet!

ely solar, so no electric permit needed, but I want electric for

my kitchen gadgets, so I did pull the 65 dollar permit and hired

a licensed contractor for that part. Again, I will follow a

rule if my safety and the safety of others are at stake. (I

actually TRADED the electrical contractor the work in exchange

for some garden equipment he wanted, so I am utilizing bartering

at its finest, lol)

Sent from my iPad

wrote:

What a wonderful idea. Unfortunately, even though we have

3/4 of an

acre, here in town, our zoning would not allow such a

building. I would

I think what you are doing is a great idea. You are

already friends with

the renters and they will likely keep an eye on you as

well, should you

have some sort of health crisis or other problem, they

will notice and

make sure you are ok.

I look forward to pictures of your own project should you

choose to

share. I have looked at the "tiny houses" and although I

would have a

hard time currently living that way, I can see myself,

should I end up

Velda

> Thanks-but THIS project is "no mess"in the MAIN house

anyway, and is LOADS of fun! I recently did a radio

interview about RV and small space living, and it woke up

the part of me that has be totally interested in the "tiny

house" movement for years. Tiny House living, or

downscaling, is people making houses out of small

structures and getting rid of stuff-since I was already in

that process for the purpose of moving in to my RV, I

decided to carry it a step further, and figured out what

to do with my house in the process! I had planned to sell

my home and live full time in my RV once my daughter goes

off to college, but REALLY didn't want to have to sell my

home, since it is handicapped equiped specifically for me,

and I have my gardening down to a science, but I can't

RV....SOOOOO...I am currently building a "tiny house" up

the hill from my house, which will serve as my "base" when

I am not on the road, and 6 college! kids!

arrangement for them too! (My daughter is going out of

state to college, but her friends that I have known all of

their lives are staying local-a nice 4 year college is

only 13 miles from our house, so they are going to "dorm

style" my house and live here-all paying cheap for them

rent-enough to cover the mortgage, so I get to keep the

house AND live on the property! Most "tiny houses" are

about 89 square feet, but due to having to accommodate my

wheelchair, I have to "upscale" to a whopping 200 square

feet, lol! The house will have electric power (for my

Vitamix, of course), but will primarily be solar powered,

eco friendly, and off grid! I am having a ball with it-the

contractor is up there now hammering away...sadly, until

they get a path run for my power chair, I can't get up

there to see it...but THAT should be done today!!

Considering that my house sits on less than .4 acre, this

is a hoot that I will have a "cott!

age" o!

> n the property! You can get an idea of what I am

doing by googling "tiny house living". I will be blogging

all of it-good fun!

>

>

>

>

>>>> I'm vegetarian and wondering if anyone

has made any food for backpacking using their Vitamix and

a dehydrator.

>>>> I usually pack the standard fare- granola

bars, trail mix, fruit leather, tofu jerky and

Backpacker's Pantry dinners (just add boiled water to the

pouch).

>>>> I did a trial of vegetarian shepherd's

pie that I compiled at home + added to a ziploc bag (using

a homemade foil cozy for insulating). It was great! Now

that I have a Vitamix I wanted to get some tried + true

recipes.

>>>> thanks!

>>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>> /links/

>>> (this is the Links page where I save the

answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other

helpful information - this page is always being added to)

>>>

>>> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING

TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access

to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix

Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from

coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can

STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!

Groups Links

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>

>

>

>

>

> /links/

>

Yes, someone near by but not among our 6 on our cul de sac, and to

never know what one is going to get reported for and when can be

upsetting. Life goes on and we have a wonderful group here on the

actual cul de sac. I have thought about chickens, but so far our

city says no, but then there is a place under a mile away in the

next county and city (we are feet from the border) have a nice

property and sell home grown eggs. I watched their hens eating

organic pumpkins when I was there last time.

Your place sounds wonderful. I am so happy for you.

Velda

On 2/22/2012 5:05 PM, Berry wrote:

Oh, that is just rotten-what nosy people to go sticking their

nose in!  My lot is all up hill too-I have had to get pretty

creative with the gardens and my "cottage" is at the top of the

hill-one of the few things keeping me from going nuts on it

right now, lol.  Fortunately, I figured out years ago that the

hill is WONDERFUL for growing climbing vines-if you plant them

at the top of the hill, they will trail down, producing

wonderful melons and fruits along the way-very cool...but I have

to rely on my daughter to plant and tend to them.  I am hoping

once I am living at the TOP of the hill, I will be able to

manage that part better when she is away at school.  Luckily, I

live in a small town that isn't too harsh with regulations and

such...they did balk when I had a few chickens, but they were

decent about it and told me to limit it to only 3, lol.  That

little project didn't last too long anyway, lol.

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 22, 2012, at 6:46 PM, Velda <solomon@...>

wrote:

Great idea, though we could not do it (we live on a hill

and most of our

land is quite sloped). Our house has a daylight basement

that has french

doors leading directly to the ground level back yard while

our living

room is up at second story level from back yard, yet at

ground level for

front door and yard. If our city even thinks someone is

living in a non

regulated structure (rv or other wise) it comes after you.

We were in

process of building a mobile sharpening business and had a

home business

license and someone turned us in for "doing work" NOT in

the house! And

we had to either get rid of the sharpening vehicle

immediately or face

large fines. On the other hand, if someone else had owned

the vehicle

and the business and we were employees (and did NOT have a

home business

permit) we would have had no problem. We were never able

to determine

who turned us in, but others have been turned in for

various stupid

things-next door neighbor parked their RV in front of our

house for a

few days while having work done on pool or something and

ended up paying

a $600 fine because that "someone" turned them in as well.

She and I

tried to figure out who it might be but have no clue

because everyone on

our cul de sac knows them and knew the RV was only there

for a few days

while they had work done. Technically the law now reads no

RV parked on

street more than 48 hours in a month and the law is

totally based on

being turned in as I talked to the traffic officer one

time and she said

she does not have time to go looking so only comes to you

if she is

given a complaint. We live in a nice city, but it has it's

quirks, for

sure. I have thought many times it would be great to have

a small house

here for our son, but for both above reasons (our city and

our hill) it

Velda

> If a tiny house is built on a trailer bed and

moveable (at least in

> theory) it will bypass zoning laws in many places. An

Indiana friend of

> mine has her disabled son in one and he is pretty

independent it since

> the small size=small chores/upkeep for the most part.

When he is doing

> well, it stays parked at a trailer park in town, when

he slips and loses

> grip which he does at times (usually because he

wasn't taking his meds;

> he consistently lies about it and is supposed to be

taking them at Day

> Program, but....he's sneaky, too) she has it pulled

back into her back

> yard. The zoning in their town would not allow for

such a building on a

> foundation, but has nothing to say about an "RV"

(which is what they

> call it) so long as it's not parked where it's

visible from the road.

> Worth checking.

>

> I live in 470sf and am preparing to move to a 200sf

house. I could do

> fine in a little over 100sf except that I cannot

bring myself to ditch

> my woodstove, which necessarily requires a fair

amount of clearance.

>

> SJ

>

>

>

>

> /links/

>

Your situation sounds easy compared to mine. We did not realize it

until we had already moved here, but the man who bought the 5 acres

the house sat on, and built about 35 houses on the other 4 (we have

just over 3/4 acre), had scraped the top soil off ours to fill in

other lots and we were left with solid clay. We knew we were in

trouble when we were having an addition built and had voluntered to

dig the trench for the new water line. It was July and we got up

early to dig, and Mel swung the pick axe at around 5:30 a.m. It

bounced and rang like a bell. We knew we were in trouble. Took two

days to hand dig a 1 ft wide trench about 2 5 ft long.

Velda

On 2/22/2012 5:09 PM, Berry wrote:

It certainly may not be doable for everyone...but you KNOW by

now how stubborn I am, lol.  When presented with a no, I do my

pigheaded best to make it happen.  As I said, around here, there

are ways around it, and none of the neighbors care-they KNOW I

am always up to something whacky, lol.  I have actually been

surprised over the years what I have been able to accomplish on

my steep hill.  When I bought my house, I had ZERO interest or

knowledge of gardening and such things, so the steep hills

didn't worry me at all, but when I tried to make do with what I

have, I learned that there are ways around most things, but

certainly not where zoning and neighbors are an issue.  I do

live in the "city limits", but they are pretty relaxed about

most things, fortunately!

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 22, 2012, at 6:50 PM, Velda <solomon@...>

wrot!

e:

Unfortunately not possible. Where would one hook up

sewer, electric, and water? Totally not accessible on our

hill anywhere! If someone saw a light in it at night and

called city (and as I said earlier we have a snitch in our

neighborhood) the fine is very steep. I know you said

composting toilet, but who is going to maintain that? Not

me for sure. I have enough to do and my disabled son would

not. I am not trying to be difficult, it is something I

have given thought to and would not work here on this

particular piece of land for us.

Velda

Velda, you can totally get around zoning issues by

putting it on a small trailer (even if it isn't

functional), since it is then classified as an RV, not a

structure or outbuilding.  I have mine on breakaway

style wheels, which allows me to keep it off the radar

AND I can move it with me easily should I ever decide

to.  To further bypass zoning issues and permits, you

can use composting toilets, camp style water heaters,

and other things that don't require a permit.  I am NOT

one who shirks a reasonable zoning law, as I understand

their purpose, but for something that is really no

different than a simple garden shed, I refuse to follow

their restrictive and silly rules.  Strangely enough, I

am doing this with the complete blessing (and amused

marshall, both of whom are family members of my ex-they

are actually the ones that told me HOW to bypass the

issues, lol.  You can also do these complet! ely solar,

so no electric permit needed, but I want electric for my

kitchen gadgets, so I did pull the 65 dollar permit and

hired a licensed contractor for that part.  Again, I

will follow a rule if my safety and the safety of others

are at stake.  (I actually TRADED the electrical

contractor the work in exchange for some garden

equipment he wanted, so I am utilizing bartering at its

finest, lol)

Sent from my iPad

wrote:

What a wonderful idea. Unfortunately, even though

we have 3/4 of an

acre, here in town, our zoning would not allow

such a building. I would

I think what you are doing is a great idea. You

are already friends with

the renters and they will likely keep an eye on

you as well, should you

have some sort of health crisis or other problem,

they will notice and

make sure you are ok.

I look forward to pictures of your own project

should you choose to

share. I have looked at the "tiny houses" and

although I would have a

hard time currently living that way, I can see

myself, should I end up

Velda

> Thanks-but THIS project is "no mess"in the

MAIN house anyway, and is LOADS of fun! I recently

did a radio interview about RV and small space

living, and it woke up the part of me that has be

totally interested in the "tiny house" movement

for years. Tiny House living, or downscaling, is

people making houses out of small structures and

getting rid of stuff-since I was already in that

process for the purpose of moving in to my RV, I

decided to carry it a step further, and figured

out what to do with my house in the process! I had

planned to sell my home and live full time in my

RV once my daughter goes off to college, but

REALLY didn't want to have to sell my home, since

it is handicapped equiped specifically for me, and

I have my gardening down to a science, but I can't

RV....SOOOOO...I am currently building a "tiny

house" up the hill from my house, which will serve

as my "base" when I am not on the road, and 6

college! kids!

arrangement for them too! (My daughter is going

out of state to college, but her friends that I

have known all of their lives are staying local-a

nice 4 year college is only 13 miles from our

house, so they are going to "dorm style" my house

and live here-all paying cheap for them

rent-enough to cover the mortgage, so I get to

keep the house AND live on the property! Most

"tiny houses" are about 89 square feet, but due to

having to accommodate my wheelchair, I have to

"upscale" to a whopping 200 square feet, lol! The

house will have electric power (for my Vitamix, of

course), but will primarily be solar powered, eco

friendly, and off grid! I am having a ball with

it-the contractor is up there now hammering

away...sadly, until they get a path run for my

power chair, I can't get up there to see it...but

THAT should be done today!! Considering that my

house sits on less than .4 acre, this is a hoot

that I will have a "cott! age" o!

> n the property! You can get an idea of what I

am doing by googling "tiny house living". I will

be blogging all of it-good fun!

>

>

>

>

>>>> Are there any backpackers out

there?

>>>> I'm vegetarian and wondering if

anyone has made any food for backpacking using

their Vitamix and a dehydrator.

>>>> I usually pack the standard fare-

granola bars, trail mix, fruit leather, tofu jerky

and Backpacker's Pantry dinners (just add boiled

water to the pouch).

>>>> I did a trial of vegetarian

shepherd's pie that I compiled at home + added to

a ziploc bag (using a homemade foil cozy for

insulating). It was great! Now that I have a

Vitamix I wanted to get some tried + true recipes.

>>>> thanks!

>>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>> /links/

>>> (this is the Links page where I save

the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS

of other helpful information - this page is always

being added to)

>>>

>>> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE

GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you

will lose access to the Links page - an

Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to

this link to learn how to stop mail from coming,

but STILL be a member of the group so you can

STILL visit the Links page and read messages

online!

On 2/22/2012 10:39 PM, Velda wrote:

we were left with solid clay

That cute little trick is common in development-builders'

(big) bags of tricks.  What you can do is to plant something

tenacious about making large, substantial roots like daikon

radishes or mangels.  Water them enough that they grow and at

the end of the season, cut the tops or let them die down, and

cover with a mulch.  All winter the roots will decompose in

place and by the next spring already you'll see a big difference

in your soil.  Repeat the next year if necessary; every year it

will get better, the earthworms will move in (or you can

inoculate with them) and they'll help move materials around and

loosen the soil.  Keeping a heavy mulch, even newspaper,  on it

will help it retain moisture.

Where I am I have a natural bed of clay hundreds if not

thousands of years old, plus of course the Maine mountains are

full of granite (in addition to sitting of top of the states-big

Mama-piece of granite, of course, from whence come the ones

sprouting in the yard/garden every spring) and both the radishes

and mangels will move rocks toward the top faster, where they

are a lot easier to get out, in addition to loosening the soil

so it's tillable and pleasant to work with.  The portion of what

was solid clay here was dug down to about 4' below grade (I gave

a potter permission to dig all she wanted first) but I didn't

want that hardpan under my garden so before I filled the garden

soil in I planted mangels for a couple of years.  It was really

too wet for them but enough made it that we could break down

through it with a power blade to cut it up, then we filled it

and I'm sure the worms have done their job, because that part of

the garden currently drains better than anywhere else on the

place.

SJ

Great idea if it were not so dry here. We are so short on rain that

we can't water lawns or anything much else this year, unless March

turns into a big rain event. Normally by now we have had close to 20

inches of rain by now (rain year starts in July) but as of now we

sit at around 2 inches and almost no snow in our mountains to fill

lakes and reservoirs. Will have to stick to container gardens for

this year. And our health will not permit either of us to dig to

plant a bunch of radishes or anything else out in the hard ground.

Good idea though, but I doubt radishes would even decompose with the

dry, cracked earth and no rain.

Velda

On 2/22/2012 8:13 PM, sjc wrote:

On 2/22/2012 10:39

PM, Velda wrote:

we were left with solid clay

That cute little trick is common in

development-builders' (big) bags of tricks.  What you can do

is to plant something tenacious about making large,

substantial roots like daikon radishes or mangels.  Water them

enough that they grow and at the end of the season, cut the

tops or let them die down, and cover with a mulch.  All winter

the roots will decompose in place and by the next spring

already you'll see a big difference in your soil.  Repeat the

next year if necessary; every year it will get better, the

earthworms will move in (or you can inoculate with them) and

they'll help move materials around and loosen the soil. 

Keeping a heavy mulch, even newspaper,  on it will help it

retain moisture.

Where I am I have a natural bed of clay hundreds if not

thousands of years old, plus of course the Maine mountains are

full of granite (in addition to sitting of top of the

states-big Mama-piece of granite, of course, from whence come

the ones sprouting in the yard/garden every spring) and both

the radishes and mangels will move rocks toward the top

faster, where they are a lot easier to get out, in addition to

loosening the soil so it's tillable and pleasant to work

with.  The portion of what was solid clay here was dug down to

about 4' below grade (I gave a potter permission to dig all

she wanted first) but I didn't want that hardpan under my

garden so before I filled the garden soil in I planted mangels

for a couple of years.  It was really too wet for them but

enough made it that we could break down through it with a

power blade to cut it up, then we filled it and I'm sure the

worms have done their job, because that part of the garden

currently drains better than anywhere else on the place.

SJ