RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: OT - organic shampoo and conditioner recipes

Rate this topic

Guest guest

You are most welcome. You could use the olive oil, butter, coconut oil, etc every time-you can even add some to the baking soda water, but keep in mind you only need a tiny bit. The only reason I don't use it often, despite my very dry, course hair, is because I have issues with oils in general. I deep condition mine every couple of weeks or when I feel it needs it. Certainly no problem doing it all the time though. I tiny bit of oil on damp hair is great-again, a little goes a long way!Sent from my iPadOn Feb 24, 2012, at 9:46 PM, <jupiter7@...> wrote:

Thanks, . I knew you'd have some helpful tips. :o) Baking soda, and no lather, will take a little getting used to. Would you recommend using coconut oil or olive oil only occasionally?

=

I meant to add, you can also find any mild soap-Miracle II, Dr. Bonners castile, or even soap nuts (what a marvel they are) and add just a bit of it to the baking soda water if you really do want lather-still better than a commercial chemical shampoo, for sure.Sent from my iPadOn Feb 24, 2012, at 9:46 PM, <jupiter7@...> wrote:

Thanks, . I knew you'd have some helpful tips. :o) Baking soda, and no lather, will take a little getting used to. Would you recommend using coconut oil or olive oil only occasionally?

=

So how much coconut oil would you say to start with (collar-length thin hair)?

Do you put it on towel-dried hair and leave on until next shampoo? My hair is

thinning because of a parathyroid tumor I have yet to have removed. I have to

use products that are light-weight but add moisture, otherwise my hair gets

weighed down. I see castille soap mentioned a lot in shampoo recipes, but read

you have to use extreme caution if you make it. Anyway, I think I'd like to try

the route where I don't put anything on my hair I wouldn't put in my mouth. I

don't know if I'll end up there, but that's my goal.

I am TOTALLY on board with the "if I won't eat it, I won't put it ON my body" theory-has made a huge difference to both myself and my teenaged daughter. She is the only one among her peers that has NO skin or hair issues-she uses only natural stuff. When she goes to a sleepover at her friend's houses, she comes home with breakouts on her skin-probably from the laundry detergent/shampoo residues on the bedding, etc. I recommend starting with just a TINY amount of coconut oil-not even the size of a small pea, and work it just into the ends of your hair, not at the scalp. Oil will get drawn up to the scalp from the ends, so no need to put it on there to start with. Just try it and adapt the amount as needed. Good luck!Sent from my iPadOn Feb 24, 2012, at 10:17 PM, <jupiter7@...> wrote:

So how much coconut oil would you say to start with (collar-length thin hair)? Do you put it on towel-dried hair and leave on until next shampoo? My hair is thinning because of a parathyroid tumor I have yet to have removed. I have to use products that are light-weight but add moisture, otherwise my hair gets weighed down. I see castille soap mentioned a lot in shampoo recipes, but read you have to use extreme caution if you make it. Anyway, I think I'd like to try the route where I don't put anything on my hair I wouldn't put in my mouth. I don't know if I'll end up there, but that's my goal.

=

I will be 48 next week. I consider myself 25...plus postage and handling! I frequently see that ol' lady in the store window too! What a sour puss she is, too!Sent from my iPadOn Feb 24, 2012, at 10:36 PM, <jupiter7@...> wrote:

Oh, my. I forgot all about Flex. :) It did smell good. We must be around the same age. I'm 55. Wow! In my mind I feel more like I'm a 25-year-old "with experience" until the classic happens...I walk by a store window and wonder who the old lady is.

Thanks for your help.

=

Oh............. you need handling???????? LOL

Lucille

Sent: Friday, February 24, 2012 10:44 PM

Subject: Re: Re: OT - organic shampoo and conditioner "recipes"

I will be 48 next week. I consider myself 25...plus postage and handling! I frequently see that ol' lady in the store window too! What a sour puss she is, too!

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 24, 2012, at 10:36 PM, <jupiter7@...> wrote:

Oh, my. I forgot all about Flex. :) It did smell good. We must be around the same age. I'm 55. Wow! In my mind I feel more like I'm a 25-year-old "with experience" until the classic happens...I walk by a store window and wonder who the old lady is.Thanks for your help.

=

Soap nuts...this is something I've never heard of...can you elaborate about them...usage,where to get them etc....?Thanks JaneOn Feb 24, 2012, at 9:51 PM, Berry wrote: I meant to add, you can also find any mild soap-Miracle II, Dr. Bonners castile, or even soap nuts (what a marvel they are) and add just a bit of it to the baking soda water if you really do want lather-still better than a commercial chemical shampoo, for sure.Sent from my iPadOn Feb 24, 2012, at 9:46 PM, <jupiter7@...> wrote: Thanks, . I knew you'd have some helpful tips. :o) Baking soda, and no lather, will take a little getting used to. Would you recommend using coconut oil or olive oil only occasionally? =

I used Flex balsam for ever......in fact about 10 years ago I had an awful red irritated scenario going on with my scalp (just out of nowhere)and the dermatologist prescribed special shampoo (I bet now it contained topical steroids) because it worked quickly but as soon as I didn't use it (it was crazy expensive...had to be compounded by the pharmacist)the condition would come back so much worse...I tried everything under the sun . One day I was at the Dollar Store and I saw the Flex and bought several bottles and thought if nothing else I could use it for bath soap or to wash the dogs...because I too loved the smell... Well guess what ...it cleared up my scalp condition (which had gotten intolerably bad) and that was that...gone...poof not to be seen again. I used the Flex for a few years and didn't dare stop using it...HA!I never did find out what it was all aboutJaneOn Feb 24, 2012, at 10:28 PM, wrote: Oh, my goodness-that DOES bring back some memories! I LOVED Prell and the bubble, and my mom used to insist that the "cold water rinse" was essential to nice hair too, lol! I wouldn't use such harsh shampoo these days, but it does conjure up lovely memories indeed! I also loved FLEX BALSAM shampoo-has the same stuff in it that car anti freeze does, but man did it smell great, lol! > > Oh, me too! She also used Prell. I always liked watching a trapped air bubble slowly rise when I tipped the bottle. Ah, memories. :) My mom passed seven years ago. I miss her, but this brings back some warm memories. > > >

My sentiments exactly ...I will be 58 next month and I shake my head when I think about it...because mentally I sure don't feel like it...but yes when I look in the mirror in the morning I am reminded....man oh man where have all the years gone...JaneOn Feb 24, 2012, at 10:36 PM, wrote: Oh, my. I forgot all about Flex. :) It did smell good. We must be around the same age. I'm 55. Wow! In my mind I feel more like I'm a 25-year-old "with experience" until the classic happens...I walk by a store window and wonder who the old lady is. Thanks for your help.

lol I just turned 54 and recently quit dying my hair OMGGGGGG !!!! I had been dying it since 30s?? I am still in shock as to the amount of gray hair I have! talk about shocking when I look in the mirror! But as you said , I think when I look in the mirror who the heck is that old lady?!? Patti From: Jane Edenfield <boxers1@...> Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2012 7:46 AM Subject: Re: Re: OT - organic shampoo and conditioner "recipes"

My sentiments exactly ...I will be 58 next month and I shake my head when I think about it...because mentally I sure don't feel like it...but yes when I look in the mirror in the morning I am reminded....man oh man where have all the years gone...JaneOn Feb 24, 2012, at 10:36 PM, wrote: Oh, my. I forgot all about Flex. :) It did smell good. We must be around the same age. I'm 55. Wow! In my mind I feel more like I'm a 25-year-old "with experience" until the classic happens...I walk by a store window and wonder who the old lady is. Thanks for your help.

49 here, and I'm right there with you ladies - where are all of the wrinkles coming from? And when did I start lifting my face at the hair line to see what it would take to pull out those wrinkles? LOL

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Feb 25, 2012, at 8:54 AM, patti wrote:

lol I just turned 54 and recently quit dying my hair OMGGGGGG !!!! I had been dying it since 30s?? I am still in shock as to the amount of gray hair I have! talk about shocking when I look in the mirror! But as you said , I think when I look in the mirror who the heck is that old lady?!? Patti

do you use the soap nuts for laundry ? I am taking from your comment you would recommend them?? I have wondered if they do actually clean the clothes! Patti From: Jane Edenfield <boxers1@...> Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2012 7:38 AM Subject: Re: Re: OT - organic shampoo and conditioner "recipes"

Soap nuts...this is something I've never heard of...can you elaborate about them...usage,where to get them etc....?Thanks JaneOn Feb 24, 2012, at 9:51 PM, Berry wrote: I meant to add, you can also find any mild soap-Miracle II, Dr. Bonners castile, or even soap nuts (what a marvel they are) and add just a bit of it to the baking soda water if you really do want lather-still better than a commercial chemical shampoo, for sure.Sent from my iPadOn Feb 24, 2012, at 9:46 PM, <jupiter7@...>

wrote: Thanks, . I knew you'd have some helpful tips. :o) Baking soda, and no lather, will take a little getting used to. Would you recommend using coconut oil or olive oil only occasionally? =

I've bought soap nuts from this company in the past when we were using cloth diapers:http://www.laundrytree.com/about-soapnuts.html you also put in some essential oil of your choice to get a "clean smell". They worked great, but my husband is doing the laundry now and he has a mental block about them - must use detergent, etc. So we only use them if I do laundry ;)-JanelOn Feb 25, 2012, at 8:38 AM, Jane Edenfield <boxers1@...> wrote:

Soap nuts...this is something I've never heard of...can you elaborate about them...usage,where to get them etc....?Thanks JaneOn Feb 24, 2012, at 9:51 PM, Berry wrote: I meant to add, you can also find any mild soap-Miracle II, Dr. Bonners castile, or even soap nuts (what a marvel they are) and add just a bit of it to the baking soda water if you really do want lather-still better than a commercial chemical shampoo, for sure.Sent from my iPadOn Feb 24, 2012, at 9:46 PM, <jupiter7@...> wrote: Thanks, . I knew you'd have some helpful tips. :o) Baking soda, and no lather, will take a little getting used to. Would you recommend using coconut oil or olive oil only occasionally? =

=

I am 55 and have been thinking about stopping the dying of my hair. I'm afraid I will look too old. I use reckon ammonia free so I took that step but it is still a ton of chemicals.- RobbinOn Feb 25, 2012, at 8:57 AM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

49 here, and I'm right there with you ladies - where are all of the wrinkles coming from? And when did I start lifting my face at the hair line to see what it would take to pull out those wrinkles? LOL

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Feb 25, 2012, at 8:54 AM, patti wrote:

lol I just turned 54 and recently quit dying my hair OMGGGGGG !!!! I had been dying it since 30s?? I am still in shock as to the amount of gray hair I have! talk about shocking when I look in the mirror! But as you said , I think when I look in the mirror who the heck is that old lady?!? Patti