RemedySpot.com

Re: Question about green carrot tops

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This came up before and although I though they were edible because of articles like these:http://www.google.com/search?client=safari & rls=en & q=green+carrot+tops+edible & ie=UTF-8 & oe=UTF-8Someone came up with a link that said they have a toxin.My advice would be don't make them a daily staple, but on occasion should be fine…

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Jan 23, 2012, at 8:45 PM, Navarro wrote:

Are they edible? I'm guessing yes, but what do you do with them? I put the organic carrots in my split pea soup today and the tops are so pretty I don't want to throw them out. I probably should have put them in my soup also.

I was pretty sure Boutenko wrote about carrot tops in the book " Green

for Life, " so I just checked. On the first page of chapter five, it says

" Carrot tops have several times more nutrition than the roots, but the opinion

that greens are for rabbits, sheep, and cows has been preventing us from eating

carrot tops in our salads. We routinely throw away the most nutritious part of

the carrot plant! " Also, in chapter 15 it has carrot tops in a long list of

greens that the Boutenko family rotates in their diet. I don't know if that

necessarily means they're nontoxic, but they don't seem too bad.

>

>

> Are they edible? I'm guessing yes, but what do you do with them? I put the

organic carrots in my split pea soup today and the tops are so pretty I don't

want to throw them out. I probably should have put them in my soup also.

>

>

>

oh my I just threw out a nice bunch of carrot tops! well that wont happen again! thanks for sharing that info :) Patti From:

vitamixkrista <kristaqqqq@...> Sent: Monday, January 23, 2012 8:17 PM Subject: Re: Question about green carrot tops

I was pretty sure Boutenko wrote about carrot tops in the book "Green for Life," so I just checked. On the first page of chapter five, it says "Carrot tops have several times more nutrition than the roots, but the opinion that greens are for rabbits, sheep, and cows has been preventing us from eating carrot tops in our salads. We routinely throw away the most nutritious part of the carrot plant!" Also, in chapter 15 it has carrot tops in a long list of greens that the Boutenko family rotates in their diet. I don't know if that necessarily means they're nontoxic, but they don't seem too bad.

>

>

> Are they edible? I'm guessing yes, but what do you do with them? I put the organic carrots in my split pea soup today and the tops are so pretty I don't want to throw them out. I probably should have put them in my soup also.

>

>

>

I do eat them as an addition to leafy salads when my carrots come with them. I

think they taste fresh, kind of like parsley. I also use them in floral

arrangements and as a garnish...

I'm not dead yet, but I know that's not really proof that they are safe.

Beth

>

>

> Are they edible? I'm guessing yes, but what do you do with them? I put the

organic carrots in my split pea soup today and the tops are so pretty I don't

want to throw them out. I probably should have put them in my soup also.

>

>

>

That NY Times article that INSINUATED that carrot tops were toxic was just that. Pure insinuations. It named all the poisonous plants, such as Queen Anne's lace and wild carrots that carrots are related to. It means nothing. A very great many wonderful food plants aren't just related to poisonous plants, but may be poisonous themselves if not prepared correctly. Tomatoes and potatoes, for example, are both members of the DEADLY NIGHTSHADE family. So many nutritionists say carrot tops are good for you, I believe them.

Ann

On Jan 23, 2012 8:02 PM, " patti " <patti720@...> wrote:

oh my I just threw out a nice bunch of carrot tops!  well that wont happen again!  thanks for sharing that info :)

Patti

vitamixkrista <kristaqqqq@...>

Sent: Monday, January 23, 2012 8:17 PM Subject: Re: Question about green carrot tops

I was pretty sure Boutenko wrote about carrot tops in the book " Green for Life, " so I just checked. On the first page of chapter five, it says " Carrot tops have several times more nutrition than the roots, but the opinion that greens are for rabbits, sheep, and cows has been preventing us from eating carrot tops in our salads. We routinely throw away the most nutritious part of the carrot plant! " Also, in chapter 15 it has carrot tops in a long list of greens that the Boutenko family rotates in their diet. I don't know if that necessarily means they're nontoxic, but they don't seem too bad.

>

>

> Are they edible? I'm guessing yes, but what do you do with them? I put the organic carrots in my split pea soup today and the tops are so pretty I don't want to throw them out. I probably should have put them in my soup also.

>

>

>