RemedySpot.com

Re: Catalina Dressing - was - Creamy Peppercorn Ranch Dip / Dressing

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Forgot to address this part of your question, "I also want it to be somewhat creamy". I always toss in a hand full of cashews whenever I want to add "creaminess". However, I suspect that the sun dried tomatoes will add a measure of creaminess. They are in my Tortilla Soup recipe and they make it rather thick. That is why I mentioned the possibility that this recipe might need some added water or some cucumber to thin it out some…

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Feb 26, 2012, at 9:10 AM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:

Hello Natalia,I went to Google and found a recipe for a Copy Cat Kraft Catalina…http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/520/Kraft_Catalina_Dressing31321.shtml1 cup sugar2 teaspoons salt1 dash paprika1/2 teaspoon chili powder1/2 teaspoon celery seed1/2 teaspoon dry mustardgrated onion to taste1/2 cup vinegar2/3 cup ketchup1 cup vegetable oilPlace all ingredients into blender and mix. Store in jar in refrigerator.This is how I would adapt this recipe to make it healthier…(this is how I would do it - not how it must be adapted - that is the GREAT thing about recipes - they are really only suggestions :-)Also, this would be my first attempt to adapt the recipe, then I would make adjustments based on how the first batch tasted to me...1/2 cup of dates (with just enough water to cover them) left to soak for an hour or so, with 8 drops of Whole Leaf Liquid Stevia added to the soak water)2 teaspoons of salt1 dash paprika1/2 teaspoon chili powder1/2 teaspoon celery seed1/2 teaspoon dry mustardthin slice of raw, sweet onion, or 1/4 of onion sautéed1/2 cup of ACV (apple cider vinegar) OR I'd be tempted to try just under 1/2 cup of lemon juice1 cup of sun dried tomatoes in olive oil1 red bell pepper (optional, but I'd toss it in there as an experiment, I love the sweet taste of red bell pepper)3/4 cup cold pressed, virgin olive oil(of course, add all ingredients into the VM, ramp up the speed from variable 1 to 10, then flip the switch to high and process until smooth and creamy! If it is too thick, I'd add 1/2 of a cucumber and/or some water :-)If anyone tries this - please let me know how YOU adapted it, and how it turns out. I might have to find someone who likes Catalina Dressing to try this on… :-)Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><On'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><On Feb 26, 2012, at 8:51 AM, Natalia Burleson wrote:Does anyone have a suggestion on how to make a catalina type dressing? I like the sweet and tangy combo! :) I also want it to be somewhat creamy.... :) On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 8:35 AM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:I posted this a while back when I was trying to get some additions to the Salad Dressings folder of the Links>Recipes page of our website. When I posted to the list, I hadn't tried it yet, and I only posted a link to the video. Well, now I've made it (and made some adjustments for my taste) and I'm going to post the link to the video as well as the written instructions.I LOVE this salad dressing (dip). It is all I can do not to eat the whole batch on one sitting. Ok - I DID that once…Here is the video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYgxzVoHBewHere is how I make it:1 cup of UNSWEETENED Almond Milk (ask me why I put that in all caps)1 Avocado2 cloves of Garlic* (doubles what Jane recommends in the video - at the recommendation of a chef at WFM who tried the original recipe)1 tsp. of Peppercorns (more or less to your taste)2 tsp. of Sea Salt (much more than what Jane recommends) this is what tastes good to meJuice of one Lemon2 Tbs of Nutritional Yeast Flakes (NOT Brewer's Yeast) - Jane used one, I like two. NYFs give a cheesy taste to recipes, and are full of B Vitamins*Last batch I made I roasted 5 cloves of garlic to reduce the "bite" and increase the garlic flavor. This batch turned out great too. This has inspired me to try to create my own, "Roasted Garlic Dip/Dressing" :-)Here is some (hopefully) helpful information on Nutritional Yeast Flakes:/message/22451Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><------------------------------------Please'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><------------------------------------Please bookmark these pages:/links/(this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)/links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!

THANK YOU so much!!! :)  I like your lightened up version.  I will def be giving that a try, I will let you know when I do!  When I saw the 1 cup of sugar I almost fell outta my chair! :) On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

Hello Natalia,I went to Google and found a recipe for a Copy Cat Kraft Catalina…http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/520/Kraft_Catalina_Dressing31321.shtml

1 cup sugar2 teaspoons salt1 dash paprika1/2 teaspoon chili powder1/2 teaspoon celery seed1/2 teaspoon dry mustardgrated onion to taste1/2 cup vinegar2/3 cup ketchup1 cup vegetable oil

Place all ingredients into blender and mix. Store in jar in refrigerator.This is how I would adapt this recipe to make it healthier…(this is how I would do it - not how it must be adapted - that is the GREAT thing about recipes - they are really only suggestions :-)

Also, this would be my first attempt to adapt the recipe, then I would make adjustments based on how the first batch tasted to me...1/2 cup of dates (with just enough water to cover them) left to soak for an hour or so, with 8 drops of Whole Leaf Liquid Stevia added to the soak water)

2 teaspoons of salt1 dash paprika1/2 teaspoon chili powder1/2 teaspoon celery seed1/2 teaspoon dry mustardthin slice of raw, sweet onion, or 1/4 of onion sautéed1/2 cup of ACV (apple cider vinegar) OR I'd be tempted to try just under 1/2 cup of lemon juice

1 cup of sun dried tomatoes in olive oil1 red bell pepper (optional, but I'd toss it in there as an experiment, I love the sweet taste of red bell pepper)3/4 cup cold pressed, virgin olive oil

(of course, add all ingredients into the VM, ramp up the speed from variable 1 to 10, then flip the switch to high and process until smooth and creamy!  If it is too thick, I'd add 1/2 of a cucumber and/or some water :-)

If anyone tries this - please let me know how YOU adapted it, and how it turns out.  I might have to find someone who likes Catalina Dressing to try this on…  :-)Blessings,

Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)

))><On'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><On Feb 26, 2012, at 8:51 AM, Natalia Burleson wrote:

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to make a catalina type dressing?  I like the sweet and tangy combo!  :)  I also want it to be somewhat creamy.... :) On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 8:35 AM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

I posted this a while back when I was trying to get some additions to the Salad Dressings folder of the Links>Recipes page of our website.  When I posted to the list, I hadn't tried it yet, and I only posted a link to the video.  Well, now I've made it (and made some adjustments for my taste) and I'm going to post the link to the video as well as the written instructions.

I LOVE this salad dressing (dip).  It is all I can do not to eat the whole batch on one sitting.  Ok - I DID that once…Here is the video:

Here is how I make it:1 cup of UNSWEETENED Almond Milk (ask me why I put that in all caps)1 Avocado2 cloves of Garlic* (doubles what Jane recommends in the video - at the recommendation of a chef at WFM who tried the original recipe)

1 tsp. of Peppercorns (more or less to your taste)2 tsp. of Sea Salt (much more than what Jane recommends) this is what tastes good to meJuice of one Lemon2 Tbs of Nutritional Yeast Flakes (NOT Brewer's Yeast) - Jane used one, I like two.  NYFs give a cheesy taste to recipes, and are full of B Vitamins

*Last batch I made I roasted 5 cloves of garlic to reduce the " bite " and increase the garlic flavor.  This batch turned out great too.  This has inspired me to try to create my own, " Roasted Garlic Dip/Dressing "  :-)

Here is some (hopefully) helpful information on Nutritional Yeast Flakes:/message/22451

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)

))><------------------------------------'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><------------------------------------

Please bookmark these pages:/links/(this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)

/links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/

PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL!  (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom!  Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!

Yes as soon as I saw sundried tomatoes in your version I smiled because I knew this would give me a taste/texture that I would like!  On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Natalia Burleson <nataeson@...> wrote:

THANK YOU so much!!! :)  I like your lightened up version.  I will def be giving that a try, I will let you know when I do!  When I saw the 1 cup of sugar I almost fell outta my chair! :) 

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

Hello Natalia,I went to Google and found a recipe for a Copy Cat Kraft Catalina…http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/520/Kraft_Catalina_Dressing31321.shtml

1 cup sugar2 teaspoons salt1 dash paprika1/2 teaspoon chili powder1/2 teaspoon celery seed1/2 teaspoon dry mustardgrated onion to taste1/2 cup vinegar2/3 cup ketchup1 cup vegetable oil

Place all ingredients into blender and mix. Store in jar in refrigerator.This is how I would adapt this recipe to make it healthier…(this is how I would do it - not how it must be adapted - that is the GREAT thing about recipes - they are really only suggestions :-)

Also, this would be my first attempt to adapt the recipe, then I would make adjustments based on how the first batch tasted to me...1/2 cup of dates (with just enough water to cover them) left to soak for an hour or so, with 8 drops of Whole Leaf Liquid Stevia added to the soak water)

2 teaspoons of salt1 dash paprika1/2 teaspoon chili powder1/2 teaspoon celery seed1/2 teaspoon dry mustardthin slice of raw, sweet onion, or 1/4 of onion sautéed1/2 cup of ACV (apple cider vinegar) OR I'd be tempted to try just under 1/2 cup of lemon juice

1 cup of sun dried tomatoes in olive oil1 red bell pepper (optional, but I'd toss it in there as an experiment, I love the sweet taste of red bell pepper)3/4 cup cold pressed, virgin olive oil

(of course, add all ingredients into the VM, ramp up the speed from variable 1 to 10, then flip the switch to high and process until smooth and creamy!  If it is too thick, I'd add 1/2 of a cucumber and/or some water :-)

If anyone tries this - please let me know how YOU adapted it, and how it turns out.  I might have to find someone who likes Catalina Dressing to try this on…  :-)Blessings,

))><On'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><On Feb 26, 2012, at 8:51 AM, Natalia Burleson wrote:

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to make a catalina type dressing?  I like the sweet and tangy combo!  :)  I also want it to be somewhat creamy.... :) On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 8:35 AM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

I posted this a while back when I was trying to get some additions to the Salad Dressings folder of the Links>Recipes page of our website.  When I posted to the list, I hadn't tried it yet, and I only posted a link to the video.  Well, now I've made it (and made some adjustments for my taste) and I'm going to post the link to the video as well as the written instructions.

I LOVE this salad dressing (dip).  It is all I can do not to eat the whole batch on one sitting.  Ok - I DID that once…Here is the video:

Here is how I make it:1 cup of UNSWEETENED Almond Milk (ask me why I put that in all caps)1 Avocado2 cloves of Garlic* (doubles what Jane recommends in the video - at the recommendation of a chef at WFM who tried the original recipe)

1 tsp. of Peppercorns (more or less to your taste)2 tsp. of Sea Salt (much more than what Jane recommends) this is what tastes good to meJuice of one Lemon2 Tbs of Nutritional Yeast Flakes (NOT Brewer's Yeast) - Jane used one, I like two.  NYFs give a cheesy taste to recipes, and are full of B Vitamins

*Last batch I made I roasted 5 cloves of garlic to reduce the " bite " and increase the garlic flavor.  This batch turned out great too.  This has inspired me to try to create my own, " Roasted Garlic Dip/Dressing "  :-)

Here is some (hopefully) helpful information on Nutritional Yeast Flakes:/message/22451

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)

))><------------------------------------'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><------------------------------------

Please bookmark these pages:/links/(this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)

PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL!  (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom!  Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!

Well I am VERY excited that you are going to try this, because I'm not sure if I have time today to give it a whirl and you've got my curiosity peaked (almost enough that I might go ahead and try to give it a whirl anyway :-)But I'm sure that you will make it differently than I will, so we can compare notes! I was just thinking - I might replace the celery seed with the green leafy tops of several stalks of celery as well…To me, this is the fun part of cooking - making changes and seeing how they turn out! The down side is that my recipes rarely turn out the same each time… :-)

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Feb 26, 2012, at 9:21 AM, Natalia Burleson wrote:

Yes as soon as I saw sundried tomatoes in your version I smiled because I knew this would give me a taste/texture that I would like! On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Natalia Burleson <nataeson@...> wrote:

THANK YOU so much!!! :) I like your lightened up version. I will def be giving that a try, I will let you know when I do! When I saw the 1 cup of sugar I almost fell outta my chair! :)

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

1 cup sugar2 teaspoons salt1 dash paprika1/2 teaspoon chili powder1/2 teaspoon celery seed1/2 teaspoon dry mustardgrated onion to taste1/2 cup vinegar2/3 cup ketchup1 cup vegetable oil

2 teaspoons of salt1 dash paprika1/2 teaspoon chili powder1/2 teaspoon celery seed1/2 teaspoon dry mustardthin slice of raw, sweet onion, or 1/4 of onion sautéed1/2 cup of ACV (apple cider vinegar) OR I'd be tempted to try just under 1/2 cup of lemon juice

(of course, add all ingredients into the VM, ramp up the speed from variable 1 to 10, then flip the switch to high and process until smooth and creamy! If it is too thick, I'd add 1/2 of a cucumber and/or some water :-)

If anyone tries this - please let me know how YOU adapted it, and how it turns out. I might have to find someone who likes Catalina Dressing to try this on… :-)Blessings,

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to make a catalina type dressing? I like the sweet and tangy combo! :) I also want it to be somewhat creamy.... :) On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 8:35 AM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

I posted this a while back when I was trying to get some additions to the Salad Dressings folder of the Links>Recipes page of our website. When I posted to the list, I hadn't tried it yet, and I only posted a link to the video. Well, now I've made it (and made some adjustments for my taste) and I'm going to post the link to the video as well as the written instructions.

I LOVE this salad dressing (dip). It is all I can do not to eat the whole batch on one sitting. Ok - I DID that once…Here is the video:

1 tsp. of Peppercorns (more or less to your taste)2 tsp. of Sea Salt (much more than what Jane recommends) this is what tastes good to meJuice of one Lemon2 Tbs of Nutritional Yeast Flakes (NOT Brewer's Yeast) - Jane used one, I like two. NYFs give a cheesy taste to recipes, and are full of B Vitamins

*Last batch I made I roasted 5 cloves of garlic to reduce the "bite" and increase the garlic flavor. This batch turned out great too. This has inspired me to try to create my own, "Roasted Garlic Dip/Dressing" :-)

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)

PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!