RemedySpot.com

Re: Getting *creamy* coconut milk without *bits* of it in it. Is this possible?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello Sherri,A nut milk bag would work perfectly. I can advise you best if I know why you don't have one… don't want to buy online and can't find one locally? Don't want to deal with the mess? etc.A strainer will leave bits and pieces…

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Feb 27, 2012, at 9:08 AM, sew_bz_it wrote:

:D

Hi!

Is it possible to make coconut milk, cream and butter and not have tiny bits of it throughout?

Now...in case this is my problem; I do not have a nut-bag or cheesecloth so have been using a fine strainer and pushing the juice out into a bowl, leaving a bunch of pulp.

Would using a nutbag or even pillowcase type fabric work to get it creamy?

OR...can that only happen with an expeller?

I made a virgin pina colada today for my son and he does not mind the bits, but there will be plenty of times I will want it smooth, especially if I try to make butter LOL

Thanks!

Sherri

Hi Lea Ann :D

I don't have one yet b/c I need to wait a couple of weeks to have the money for

one LOL

It could be as long as one month before I have one so I wondered what I could do

until then.

I have some cheesecloth, would that work better? Seems the holes are about the

same as strainer, however.

I could sterilize a pillowcase unless that would be too thick?

Do you know if any of these ideas will work?

Also, when it comes time to get a bag or two, do you sell them? :)

Thanks!

Sherri

>

> Hello Sherri,

>

> A nut milk bag would work perfectly. I can advise you best if I know why you

don't have one… don't want to buy online and can't find one locally? Don't want

to deal with the mess? etc.

>

> A strainer will leave bits and pieces…

>

> Blessings,

> Lea Ann Savage

> Satellite Beach, FL

> (321) 773-7088 (home)

> (321-961-9219 (cell)

> www.VitamixLady.com

> www..com

> <:)))><

>

How about this - Lowe's, Home Depot, and Ace Hardware all sell paint strainer bags like this: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202061359/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053 & langId=-1 & keyword=paint%20strainer%20bag & storeId=10051This is the nut milk bag that I am using (the source that I bought mine from):http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NUT-MILK-sprout-yogurt-cheese-making-bags-raw-food-/330610455619?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0 & hash=item4cf9eb3443(this is on the links page of our Group) /links at the link titled "An Inexpensive Source For Nut Milk Bags"…but I think that the ones I'm buying from the eBay seller might be just paint strainer bags.Some will tell you these are just fine - some will say they have chemicals that can't be washed out of them. There are a lot of online discussions and pros and cons you can sort through: http://www.google.com/search?client=safari & rls=en & q=home+depot+nut+milk+bags & ie=UTF-8 & oe=UTF-8 I would buy from Lowe's or Home Depot and use that until you can get what ever kind you were going to get. Or… just use that :-)

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Feb 27, 2012, at 4:31 PM, sew_bz_it wrote:

I don't have one yet b/c I need to wait a couple of weeks to have the money for one LOL

It could be as long as one month before I have one so I wondered what I could do until then.

I have some cheesecloth, would that work better? Seems the holes are about the same as strainer, however.

Thanks!

Sherri

>

> Hello Sherri,

>

> A nut milk bag would work perfectly. I can advise you best if I know why you don't have one… don't want to buy online and can't find one locally? Don't want to deal with the mess? etc.

>

>

> Blessings,

> Lea Ann Savage

> Satellite Beach, FL

> (321) 773-7088 (home)

> (321-961-9219 (cell)

> www.VitamixLady.com

> www..com

>

I personally wouldn't use a paint strainer bag, because of the potential for

chemicals (where they are stored in warehouses, in the store, and what they

might have been treated with), but that is my personal preferance. You can

EASILY make your own nutmilk or strainer bags by getting some unbleached cotton

muslin (less than 2 bucks a yard) and sewing up a simple bag-I am NO seamstress,

but I make my own. Cheesecloth is a bit too thin and tearable to work with, for

me. I also love the jelly strainer kits-comes with a rack and a couple of

great sized bags. I get mine a my local ACE hardware where canning supplies are

made.

> >

> > Hello Sherri,

> >

> > A nut milk bag would work perfectly. I can advise you best if I know why you

don't have one… don't want to buy online and can't find one locally? Don't want

to deal with the mess? etc.

> >

> > A strainer will leave bits and pieces…

> >

> > Blessings,

> > Lea Ann Savage

> > Satellite Beach, FL

> > (321) 773-7088 (home)

> > (321-961-9219 (cell)

> > www.VitamixLady.com

> > www..com

> > <:)))><

> >

>

I bought a jelly strainer bag by the mason jars and it's a nice bag but there is no drawstring..but I like it a lot and it was not expensive. Think one of the ebay seller's was busted for selling the home depot bag as a nut milk bag for a lot more money. I'd just go to the hardware store and get it there really cheap. Hope this helps. E From: Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> Sent: Monday, February 27, 2012 2:36 PM Subject: Re: Re: Getting *creamy* coconut milk without *bits* of it in it. Is this possible?

How about this - Lowe's, Home Depot, and Ace Hardware all sell paint strainer bags like this: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202061359/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053 & langId=-1 & keyword=paint%20strainer%20bag & storeId=10051This is the nut milk bag that I am using (the source that I bought mine from):http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NUT-MILK-sprout-yogurt-cheese-making-bags-raw-food-/330610455619?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0 & hash=item4cf9eb3443(this is on the links page of our Group) /links at the link titled "An Inexpensive Source For Nut Milk Bags"…but I think that the ones I'm buying from the eBay seller might be just paint strainer bags.Some will tell

you these are just fine - some will say they have chemicals that can't be washed out of them. There are a lot of online discussions and pros and cons you can sort through: http://www.google.com/search?client=safari & rls=en & q=home+depot+nut+milk+bags & ie=UTF-8 & oe=UTF-8 I would buy from Lowe's or Home Depot and use that until you can get what ever kind you were going to get. Or… just use that :-)

On Feb 27, 2012, at 4:31 PM, sew_bz_it wrote:

I don't have one yet b/c I need to wait a couple of weeks to have the money for one LOL

It could be as long as one month before I have one so I wondered what I could do until then.

I have some cheesecloth, would that work better? Seems the holes are about the same as strainer, however.

Thanks!

Sherri

>

> Hello Sherri,

>

> A nut milk bag would work perfectly. I can advise you best if I know why you don't have one… don't want to buy online and can't find one locally? Don't want to deal with the mess? etc.

>

>

> Blessings,

> Lea Ann Savage

> Satellite Beach, FL

> (321) 773-7088 (home)

> (321-961-9219 (cell)

> www.VitamixLady.com

> www..com

>

I agree I don't find any nut bags the claim to be food grade. Most say they are made of " high grade nylon " whatever that is. Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Lea Ann SavageSent: Monday, February 27, 2012 5:37 PM Subject: Re: Re: Getting *creamy* coconut milk without *bits* of it in it. Is this possible? How about this - Lowe's, Home Depot, and Ace Hardware all sell paint strainer bags like this: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202061359/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053 & langId=-1 & keyword=paint%20strainer%20bag & storeId=10051 This is the nut milk bag that I am using (the source that I bought mine from):http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NUT-MILK-sprout-yogurt-cheese-making-bags-raw-food-/330610455619?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0 & hash=item4cf9eb3443(this is on the links page of our Group) /links at the link titled " An Inexpensive Source For Nut Milk Bags " …but I think that the ones I'm buying from the eBay seller might be just paint strainer bags. Some will tell you these are just fine - some will say they have chemicals that can't be washed out of them. There are a lot of online discussions and pros and cons you can sort through: http://www.google.com/search?client=safari & rls=en & q=home+depot+nut+milk+bags & ie=UTF-8 & oe=UTF-8 I would buy from Lowe's or Home Depot and use that until you can get what ever kind you were going to get. Or… just use that :-) Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))>< On Feb 27, 2012, at 4:31 PM, sew_bz_it wrote: Hi Lea Ann :DI don't have one yet b/c I need to wait a couple of weeks to have the money for one LOLIt could be as long as one month before I have one so I wondered what I could do until then.I have some cheesecloth, would that work better? Seems the holes are about the same as strainer, however.I could sterilize a pillowcase unless that would be too thick?Do you know if any of these ideas will work?Also, when it comes time to get a bag or two, do you sell them? :)Thanks!Sherri>> Hello Sherri,> > A nut milk bag would work perfectly. I can advise you best if I know why you don't have one… don't want to buy online and can't find one locally? Don't want to deal with the mess? etc.> > A strainer will leave bits and pieces…> > Blessings,> Lea Ann Savage> Satellite Beach, FL> (321) 773-7088 (home)> (321-961-9219 (cell)> www.VitamixLady.com> www..com> <:)))><>

Hi :)

Maybe I should try my Ace Hardware. I have always loved that store!

Jelly straining cloth...

I am saving to get a yard or so of a very nice hemp fabric on-line in order to

make a bunch of bags to have on hand, but until then, I will try this idea!

Thanks everyone!

Sherri

Guest guest

I don't know if this is food grade or not but I made one myself out of some

muslin I had. I make my own yogurt and wanted it thicker so I made a large one

with an elastic top to fit over a big bowl for yogurt and a longer, narrower one

for the nut milk. I boiled the muslin first, it's the natural, unbleached kind.

It works much better for straining than cheesecloth does.

Michele

> >

> > Hello Sherri,

> >

> > A nut milk bag would work perfectly. I can advise you best if I know why

> you don't have one. don't want to buy online and can't find one locally?

> Don't want to deal with the mess? etc.

> >

> > A strainer will leave bits and pieces.

> >

> > Blessings,

> > Lea Ann Savage

> > Satellite Beach, FL

> > (321) 773-7088 (home)

> > (321-961-9219 (cell)

> > www.VitamixLady.com

> > www..com

> > <:)))><

> >

>

Guest guest

That is what I will do then until I buy the hemp fabric I want :D It is sort of

expensive but a yard of it will make a lot of bags to last years LOL

Thank you...the cheesecloth I thought worked well, so if the muslin works even

better I will be so very happy :D

Sherri

Guest guest

I think it works better, at least it does for me. The cheesecloth always had

pieces from the ends flying around. Plus I would throw it away after. The muslin

I just wash with some dish soap and let air dry. I found instructions online to

get some ideas before cutting the material but it was pretty simple. Hope it

works for you.

Michele

>

> That is what I will do then until I buy the hemp fabric I want :D It is sort

of expensive but a yard of it will make a lot of bags to last years LOL

>

> Thank you...the cheesecloth I thought worked well, so if the muslin works even

better I will be so very happy :D

>

> Sherri

>