RemedySpot.com

Rice milk

Rate this topic

Guest guest

• 3 years later...
Guest guest

Not sure if this has already been posted but might be of interest to some

Rice milk arsenic contamination prompts food watchdog warning for children to stop drinking it

By PoulterLast updated at 11:46 PM on 22nd May 2009

Comments (4)

Add to My Stories

At risk: Children who drink rice milk face a higher chance of cancer

Toddlers and young children should not be given rice milk because it exposes them to arsenic, parents have been told.

The Food Standards Agency issued the warning after an official study of 60 rice milk products showed all contained traces of the poison.

Such contamination is a known problem associated with past pesticide use on the fields in which the rice crop is grown.

Levels found in the study were below the current legal limit, and deemed safe for adults. But children and toddlers are at greater risk because they drink more milk relative to their size.

Arsenic is known as a poison but is also associated with the development of certain cancers. The current legal limit is being reviewed by the European Food Safety Authority.

The FSA said: 'As a precaution, toddlers and young children between one and 4.5 years old should not have rice drinks as a replacement for cows' milk, breast milk, or infant formula.'

But it stressed: 'There is no immediate risk to children who have been consuming rice drinks and it is unlikely there would have been any long-term harmful effects, but to reduce further exposure to arsenic parents should stop giving these drinks to toddlers and young children.'

In 2007 Aberdeen University researchers flagged up problems of arsenic contamination in both rice and rice milk.

They found that one in five samples of American long-grain rice in British shops contained potentially harmful levels of arsenic.

Research leader Professor Meharg said the FSA now needs to look at arsenic contamination of other types of rice, particularly baby rice.

"

Upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 Optimised for MSN. " Download Now

Guest guest

Thanks , i just wonder now, what is safe anymore, it seems that the choices get smaller by the day.Just abit stressed toda, but thanks for letting us know important news.x

; autismaspergerscheshire From: canadacath@...Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 19:31:59 +0000Subject: FW: Rice Milk

Rice milk arsenic contamination prompts food watchdog warning for children to stop drinking it

Comments (4)

Add to My Stories

At risk: Children who drink rice milk face a higher chance of cancerToddlers and young children should not be given rice milk because it exposes them to arsenic, parents have been told. The Food Standards Agency issued the warning after an official study of 60 rice milk products showed all contained traces of the poison. Such contamination is a known problem associated with past pesticide use on the fields in which the rice crop is grown. Levels found in the study were below the current legal limit, and deemed safe for adults. But children and toddlers are at greater risk because they drink more milk relative to their size. Arsenic is known as a poison but is also associated with the development of certain cancers. The current legal limit is being reviewed by the European Food Safety Authority. The FSA said: 'As a precaution, toddlers and young children between one and 4.5 years old should not have rice drinks as a replacement for cows' milk, breast milk, or infant formula.' But it stressed: 'There is no immediate risk to children who have been consuming rice drinks and it is unlikely there would have been any long-term harmful effects, but to reduce further exposure to arsenic parents should stop giving these drinks to toddlers and young children.' In 2007 Aberdeen University researchers flagged up problems of arsenic contamination in both rice and rice milk. They found that one in five samples of American long-grain rice in British shops contained potentially harmful levels of arsenic. Research leader Professor Meharg said the FSA now needs to look at arsenic contamination of other types of rice, particularly baby rice.

" Upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 Optimised for MSN. " Download Now

Insert movie times and more without leaving Hotmail®. See how.

Guest guest

By the way, earlier reports seemed to say that basmati rice was safer than some

other types. I wonder what European rice eg Italian Arborio is like?

Margaret

>

>

> Thanks , i just wonder now, what is safe anymore, it seems that the

choices get smaller by the day.Just abit stressed toda, but thanks for letting

us know important news.x

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ;

autismaspergerscheshire

> From: canadacath@...

> Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 19:31:59 +0000

> Subject: FW: Rice Milk

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Not sure if this has already been posted but might be of interest to some

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Rice milk arsenic contamination prompts food watchdog warning for children to

stop drinking it

>

> By Poulter

> Last updated at 11:46 PM on 22nd May 2009

>

>

>

> Comments (4)

> Add to My Stories

>

>

> At risk: Children who drink rice milk face a higher chance of cancer

>

> Toddlers and young children should not be given rice milk because it exposes

them to arsenic, parents have been told.

> The Food Standards Agency issued the warning after an official study of 60

rice milk products showed all contained traces of the poison.

> Such contamination is a known problem associated with past pesticide use on

the fields in which the rice crop is grown.

> Levels found in the study were below the current legal limit, and deemed safe

for adults. But children and toddlers are at greater risk because they drink

more milk relative to their size.

> Arsenic is known as a poison but is also associated with the development of

certain cancers. The current legal limit is being reviewed by the European Food

Safety Authority.

> The FSA said: 'As a precaution, toddlers and young children between one and

4.5 years old should not have rice drinks as a replacement for cows' milk,

breast milk, or infant formula.'

> But it stressed: 'There is no immediate risk to children who have been

consuming rice drinks and it is unlikely there would have been any long-term

harmful effects, but to reduce further exposure to arsenic parents should stop

giving these drinks to toddlers and young children.'

> In 2007 Aberdeen University researchers flagged up problems of arsenic

contamination in both rice and rice milk.

> They found that one in five samples of American long-grain rice in British

shops contained potentially harmful levels of arsenic.

> Research leader Professor Meharg said the FSA now needs to look at

arsenic contamination of other types of rice, particularly baby rice.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> " Upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 Optimised for MSN. " Download Now

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> _________________________________________________________________

> Insert movie times and more without leaving Hotmail®.

>

http://windowslive.com/Tutorial/Hotmail/QuickAdd?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Tutorial_Q\

uickAdd1_052009

>

Guest guest

Here is a link to a discussion group which discusses alternatives if that's any help?http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=863740To: From: paralilepipedo@...Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 14:36:58 -0500Subject: RE: FW: Rice Milk

Thanks , i just wonder now, what is safe anymore, it seems that the choices get smaller by the day.Just abit stressed toda, but thanks for letting us know important news.x

; autismaspergerscheshire From: canadacathhotmailDate: Tue, 26 May 2009 19:31:59 +0000Subject: FW: Rice Milk

Comments (4)

Add to My Stories

At risk: Children who drink rice milk face a higher chance of cancerToddlers and young children should not be given rice milk because it exposes them to arsenic, parents have been told. The Food Standards Agency issued the warning after an official study of 60 rice milk products showed all contained traces of the poison. Such contamination is a known problem associated with past pesticide use on the fields in which the rice crop is grown. Levels found in the study were below the current legal limit, and deemed safe for adults. But children and toddlers are at greater risk because they drink more milk relative to their size. Arsenic is known as a poison but is also associated with the development of certain cancers. The current legal limit is being reviewed by the European Food Safety Authority. The FSA said: 'As a precaution, toddlers and young children between one and 4.5 years old should not have rice drinks as a replacement for cows' milk, breast milk, or infant formula.' But it stressed: 'There is no immediate risk to children who have been consuming rice drinks and it is unlikely there would have been any long-term harmful effects, but to reduce further exposure to arsenic parents should stop giving these drinks to toddlers and young children.' In 2007 Aberdeen University researchers flagged up problems of arsenic contamination in both rice and rice milk. They found that one in five samples of American long-grain rice in British shops contained potentially harmful levels of arsenic. Research leader Professor Meharg said the FSA now needs to look at arsenic contamination of other types of rice, particularly baby rice.

" Upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 Optimised for MSN. " Download Now

Insert movie times and more without leaving Hotmail®. See how.

Windows Live Messenger just got better. Find out more!

• 2 years later...

I made rice milk yesterday.  My boys say it tastes like rice pudding!  It was easy and I am sure much cheaper than store bought (and healthier).  This is how I did it.

1/2 C long grain brown rice1/2 tsp salt

4 C waterBring water to a boil (I added the rice after the water came to a boil but the video mixes them together then brings the water to a boil - I'll do that next time)

Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 3 hours I only cooked mine for about 2 hours.  The lady in the video doesn't have a Vitamix.  I watched another video showing how to make rice milk in a Vitamix with raw/soaked rice so I figured if you can make milk out of raw rice then I shouldn't have to cook mine for the full 3 hours - that's my logic anyway (LOL!). I may try reducing the cooking time even more the next time I make it.

Blend using equal parts rice mush and fresh water and add 2 tbl sweetener of choice.Pour through fine strainer or nut milk bag.  I didn't have much pulp left over. In the videos it looked like there was more; maybe that is the difference between a regular blender and a Vitamix.

This made about 1/2 gallon.It is very creamy and you could add more water if you wanted to stretch it out a bit more or like it less thick.I may try adding some carob powder to future attempts to see how that works.

RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God.

Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.