RemedySpot.com

Re: Spinach and Kidney Stones

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Is kale like spinach in that way? Switching to kale wouldn't help, would it?? I do have some small kidney stones that are not currently bothering me, so I want to be careful. From: joywalker6 <joywalker@...> Sent: Monday, February 27, 2012 8:20 AM Subject: Spinach and Kidney

Stones

Gorgene wrote:

"What I did take away from the book was the importance of rotating greens and not having the same thing every day. I can attest to the fact that eating spinach every day is BAD. I got my first kidney stone (VERY painful) but I was lucky it was small and passed quickly. The doctor at the ER said that eating spinach every day could have helped cause its formation. So now I'm varying with lettuce, kale, parsley, etc."

The component of spinach that can cause kidney stones is oxalates. In addition to spinach, other foods with a high oxalate content include beets + beet greens, Swiss chard, parsley, almonds, cashews and sesame seeds. Veggies for juicing that are low in oxalates include most types of lettuce, cabbage, bok choy and arugala. For anyone interested in learning more about oxalates there is a very informative group called "Trying Low Oxalates." I have only listed a brief sampling of food high in oxalates. The group has lots of helpful data on the oxalate content of a very wide variety of foods.

I once read a long time ago the magnesium prevent stones.

Lucille

Sent: Monday, February 27, 2012 12:07 PM

Subject: Re: Spinach and Kidney Stones

Is kale like spinach in that way? Switching to kale wouldn't help, would it?? I do have some small kidney stones that are not currently bothering me, so I want to be careful.

From: joywalker6 <joywalker@...> Sent: Monday, February 27, 2012 8:20 AMSubject: Spinach and Kidney Stones

Gorgene wrote:"What I did take away from the book was the importance of rotating greens and not having the same thing every day. I can attest to the fact that eating spinach every day is BAD. I got my first kidney stone (VERY painful) but I was lucky it was small and passed quickly. The doctor at the ER said that eating spinach every day could have helped cause its formation. So now I'm varying with lettuce, kale, parsley, etc."The component of spinach that can cause kidney stones is oxalates. In addition to spinach, other foods with a high oxalate content include beets + beet greens, Swiss chard, parsley, almonds, cashews and sesame seeds. Veggies for juicing that are low in oxalates include most types of lettuce, cabbage, bok choy and arugala. For anyone interested in learning more about oxalates there is a very informative group called "Trying Low Oxalates." I have only listed a brief sampling of food high in oxalates. The group has lots of helpful data on the oxalate content of a very wide variety of foods.

I'll check that out - thanks, Lucille. (That's my middle name).Ginny From: Lucille <lschacht@...> Sent: Monday, February 27, 2012 9:19 AM Subject: Re: Spinach and Kidney Stones

Lucille

Is kale like spinach in that way? Switching to kale wouldn't help, would it?? I do have some small kidney stones that are not currently bothering me, so I want to be careful.

From: joywalker6 <joywalker@...> Sent: Monday, February 27, 2012 8:20 AMSubject: Spinach and Kidney Stones

Gorgene wrote:"What I did take away from the book was the importance of rotating greens and not having the same thing every day. I can attest to the fact that eating spinach every day is BAD. I got my first kidney stone (VERY painful) but I was lucky it was small and passed quickly. The doctor at the ER said that eating spinach every day could have helped cause its formation. So now I'm varying with lettuce, kale, parsley, etc."The component of spinach that can cause kidney stones is oxalates. In addition to spinach, other foods with a high oxalate content include beets + beet greens, Swiss chard, parsley, almonds, cashews and sesame seeds. Veggies for juicing that are low in oxalates include most types of lettuce, cabbage, bok choy and arugala. For anyone interested in learning more about oxalates there is a very informative group called "Trying Low Oxalates." I have only listed a brief sampling of food high in oxalates. The group has lots of helpful data on the oxalate content of a very wide variety of foods.

I too used to get kidney stiones, but by drinking a cup of cranberry juice each day, I no longer get "stones", cranberry juice also helps not getting up in the middle of the night to void!

From: Ginny Welton <ginbit@...>" " < >Sent: Mon, February 27, 2012 11:45:39 PMSubject: Re: Spinach and Kidney Stones

I'll check that out - thanks, Lucille. (That's my middle name).

Ginny

From: Lucille <lschacht@...> Sent: Monday, February 27, 2012 9:19 AMSubject: Re: Spinach and Kidney Stones

Lucille

Gorgene wrote:"What I did take away from the book was the importance of rotating greens and not having the same thing every day. I can attest to the fact that eating spinach every day is BAD. I got my first kidney stone (VERY painful) but I was lucky it was small and passed quickly. The doctor at the ER said that eating spinach every day could have helped cause its formation. So now I'm varying with lettuce, kale, parsley, etc."The component of spinach that can cause kidney stones is oxalates. In addition to spinach, other foods with a high oxalate content include beets + beet greens, Swiss chard, parsley, almonds, cashews and sesame seeds. Veggies for juicing that are low in oxalates include most types of lettuce, cabbage, bok choy and arugala. For anyone interested in learning more about oxalates there is a very informative group called "Trying Low Oxalates." I have only listed a brief sampling of food high in oxalates. The

group has lots of helpful data on the oxalate content of a very wide variety of foods.

Wonder if you could put cranberries in smoothies and have the same effect?StaceyOn Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 8:25 AM, A E HARDY <gengundog@...> wrote:

I too used to get kidney stiones, but by drinking a cup of cranberry juice each day, I no longer get " stones " , cranberry juice also helps not getting up in the middle of the night to void!  

Sent: Mon, February 27, 2012 11:45:39 PMSubject: Re: Spinach and Kidney Stones

I'll check that out - thanks, Lucille.  (That's my middle name).

Ginny

Sent: Monday, February 27, 2012 9:19 AMSubject: Re: Spinach and Kidney Stones

Lucille

Is kale like spinach in that way?  Switching to kale wouldn't help, would it??  I do have some small kidney stones that are not currently bothering me, so I want to be careful.

Sent: Monday, February 27, 2012 8:20 AMSubject: Spinach and Kidney Stones

Gorgene wrote: " What I did take away from the book was the importance of rotating greens and not having the same thing every day. I can attest to the fact that eating spinach every day is BAD. I got my first kidney stone (VERY painful) but I was lucky it was small and passed quickly. The doctor at the ER said that eating spinach every day could have helped cause its formation. So now I'm varying with lettuce, kale, parsley, etc. "

The component of spinach that can cause kidney stones is oxalates. In addition to spinach, other foods with a high oxalate content include beets + beet greens, Swiss chard, parsley, almonds, cashews and sesame seeds. Veggies for juicing that are low in oxalates include most types of lettuce, cabbage, bok choy and arugala. For anyone interested in learning more about oxalates there is a very informative group called " Trying Low Oxalates. " I have only listed a brief sampling of food high in oxalates. The

group has lots of helpful data on the oxalate content of a very wide variety of foods.

Yes, you could indeed and with better results! Many cranberry drinks contain loads of sugar, so adding raw cranberries to a smoothie is a great option. They are very tart though, so you would want to counterbalance the tartness with something like dates or yogurt to smooth it out a bit.Sent from my iPadOn Feb 28, 2012, at 10:59 AM, "ssummers1 tds.net" <ssummers1@...> wrote:

Wonder if you could put cranberries in smoothies and have the same effect?StaceyOn Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 8:25 AM, A E HARDY <gengundog@...> wrote:

I too used to get kidney stiones, but by drinking a cup of cranberry juice each day, I no longer get "stones", cranberry juice also helps not getting up in the middle of the night to void!

Sent: Mon, February 27, 2012 11:45:39 PMSubject: Re: Spinach and Kidney Stones

Ginny

Sent: Monday, February 27, 2012 9:19 AMSubject: Re: Spinach and Kidney Stones

Lucille

Sent: Monday, February 27, 2012 8:20 AMSubject: Spinach and Kidney Stones

Gorgene wrote:"What I did take away from the book was the importance of rotating greens and not having the same thing every day. I can attest to the fact that eating spinach every day is BAD. I got my first kidney stone (VERY painful) but I was lucky it was small and passed quickly. The doctor at the ER said that eating spinach every day could have helped cause its formation. So now I'm varying with lettuce, kale, parsley, etc."

The component of spinach that can cause kidney stones is oxalates. In addition to spinach, other foods with a high oxalate content include beets + beet greens, Swiss chard, parsley, almonds, cashews and sesame seeds. Veggies for juicing that are low in oxalates include most types of lettuce, cabbage, bok choy and arugala. For anyone interested in learning more about oxalates there is a very informative group called "Trying Low Oxalates." I have only listed a brief sampling of food high in oxalates. The

=

<<Is kale like spinach in that way? Switching to kale wouldn't help, would

it?? I do have some small kidney stones that are not currently bothering me,

so I want to be careful.>>

Kale is more medium, considerably lower than spinach and beet greens, but not as

low as lettuce, arugula, and bok choy. For those with oxalate problems, it is

helpful to take either calcium or magnesium prior to ingesting food to help

block the uptake of oxalates. But it is important to also look at the over all

oxalate content of the diet. The best place I know to find info on dietary

oxalate is the Trying Low Oxalates e-list. Like this Vitamix

group, the gals there are very helpful and friendly.

Here is a web page that summarizes some of the info from the Trying Low Oxaltes

group: http://www.lowoxalate.info/ There are some tables of oxalate content

of foods via this web page, but the data is not as complete as on the e-list.

For example, the oxalate content of kale is not listed, while in the files at

the e-list one can find very complete data listed in milligrams.

There are many other foods such as chocolate, olives, and whole leaf stevia,

that are surprisingly high in oxalates. For most people, high oxalate foods are

of no consequence; the oxalate does not cause problems. But in those with

difficulties with oxalates, due to either high gut permeability and/or

metabolism defects there can be problems.

In addition to kidney stones, other health conditions that have been improved

in some individuals by addressing oxalate function are frequent urinary tract

infections, vulvodynia, and gut issues related to Aspergers/Autism.

BTW, I had been on web mail here, and recently rejoined when I saw the new (to

me!) smaller Vitamix jars. The 32 oz jar size sounds very appealing! I wish

Vitamix would offer the 5200 with just the 32 oz jar and small tamper as a first

purchase option.

Jolene

Sounds like it's definitely worth a try - thanks!Ginny From: A E HARDY <gengundog@...> Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:25 AM Subject: Re: Spinach and Kidney Stones

From: Ginny Welton <ginbit@...>" " < >Sent: Mon, February 27, 2012 11:45:39 PMSubject: Re: Spinach and Kidney Stones

Ginny

From: Lucille <lschacht@...> Sent: Monday, February 27, 2012 9:19 AMSubject: Re: Spinach and Kidney Stones

Lucille

Gorgene wrote:"What I did take away from the book was the importance of rotating greens and not having the same thing every day. I can attest to the fact that eating spinach every day is BAD. I got my first kidney stone (VERY painful) but I was lucky it was small and passed quickly. The doctor at the ER said that eating spinach every day could have helped cause its formation. So now I'm varying with lettuce, kale, parsley, etc."The component of spinach that can cause kidney stones is oxalates. In addition to spinach, other foods with a high oxalate content include beets + beet greens, Swiss chard, parsley, almonds, cashews and sesame seeds. Veggies for juicing that are low in oxalates include most types of lettuce, cabbage, bok choy and arugala. For anyone interested in learning more about oxalates there is a very informative group called "Trying Low Oxalates." I have only listed a brief sampling of food high in oxalates. The

Hi everyone,

I purchased a vitamix 2 weeks ago and have been enjoying a green smoothie every

morning since I got it. I have been using lots of spinach and kale. Should I not

be having this every day? What other veggies could I add that are not that

noticeable taste wise.

Thanks,

Rochelle

>

> <<Is kale like spinach in that way? Switching to kale wouldn't help, would

it?? I do have some small kidney stones that are not currently bothering me,

so I want to be careful.>>

>

> Kale is more medium, considerably lower than spinach and beet greens, but not

as low as lettuce, arugula, and bok choy. For those with oxalate problems, it is

helpful to take either calcium or magnesium prior to ingesting food to help

block the uptake of oxalates. But it is important to also look at the over all

oxalate content of the diet. The best place I know to find info on dietary

oxalate is the Trying Low Oxalates e-list. Like this Vitamix

group, the gals there are very helpful and friendly.

>

> Here is a web page that summarizes some of the info from the Trying Low

Oxaltes group: http://www.lowoxalate.info/ There are some tables of oxalate

content of foods via this web page, but the data is not as complete as on the

e-list. For example, the oxalate content of kale is not listed, while in the

files at the e-list one can find very complete data listed in milligrams.

>

> There are many other foods such as chocolate, olives, and whole leaf stevia,

that are surprisingly high in oxalates. For most people, high oxalate foods are

of no consequence; the oxalate does not cause problems. But in those with

difficulties with oxalates, due to either high gut permeability and/or

metabolism defects there can be problems.

>

> In addition to kidney stones, other health conditions that have been improved

in some individuals by addressing oxalate function are frequent urinary tract

infections, vulvodynia, and gut issues related to Aspergers/Autism.

>

> BTW, I had been on web mail here, and recently rejoined when I saw the new (to

me!) smaller Vitamix jars. The 32 oz jar size sounds very appealing! I wish

Vitamix would offer the 5200 with just the 32 oz jar and small tamper as a first

purchase option.

>

> Jolene

>

Thanks for all the helpful info on this! I always have frozen cranberries in the freezer and Just Cranberry juice (no sweeteners) in the fridge. I usually dilute it some or else it really is quite tart. Then I add stevia. Thanks for reminding me to do this!

I think my cranberries might have died in the fridge. Do you buy these fresh or due to the time of year, only frozen. Thanks.

Thanks for all the helpful info on this! I always have frozen cranberries in the freezer and Just Cranberry juice (no sweeteners) in the fridge. I usually dilute it some or else it really is quite tart. Then I add stevia. Thanks for reminding me to do this!

Gosh I've had a sack of cranberries in the fridge for months and they seem okay. Guess I should stick them in the freezer. That is when I have an extra inch I one of them.Sent from my iPadOn Feb 29, 2012, at 7:36 PM, "Vicki" <j.ireland@...> wrote:

I think my cranberries might have died in the fridge. Do you buy these fresh or due to the time of year, only frozen. Thanks.

Maybe I'll re-look at mine then. (smiles) Thanks.