RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Canned Coconut Milk - not a good idea + fructose...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Tropical Traditions is the brand of coconut oil that I buy. It was recommended by Dr. Mercola years ago. He now recommends some other brand but I have stuck with TT. If you sign up for their emails, you will get notices of their frequent sales.

Fran

In a message dated 1/19/2012 5:11:23 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, lsavage@... writes:

Finally got around to making my own coconut milk from dried, unsweetened coconut flakes and there is NO COMPARISON between home made, and the canned stuff.

I put about 5 cup of coconut flakes in the Vitamix, and added warm water to just a little bit above the level of the coconut and blended on high for at least a minute (sorry, I didn't keep track). Poured it all into a nut milk bag, then squeezed out the coconut milk, and tossed the coconut fiber (I won't use it anywhere else).

It separated quickly to about 50/50 water on the bottom and cream on the top. I used a straw to drink off the water on the bottom. I guess that a siphon would work well too.

SO CREAMY and 10 times the FLAVOR of canned coconut milk.

I'll be buying coconut flakes like this from now on: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/organic_dried_coconut.htm (see the 1 gallon container of flakes in the middle) I have a one gallon container of the shredded coconut now, but didn't realize the the flakes were so much less expensive. Flakes it will be for me next time!

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Jan 14, 2012, at 8:26 AM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have temporarily gotten off of raw milk (to test a theory that it is the cause of a rash) and replaced it with coconut milk in my coffee. I checked the can for the coconut milk with the least added ingredients, but never researched guar gum, and at first, wasn't aware of the issue regarding BPA in cans. Then (thanks to someone on this list) I learned about BPA in cans, so I began to feel like the canned coconut milk probably wasn't the best idea.

Here is a good article confirming my suspicions:

http://chriskresser.com/3-reasons-why-coconut-milk-may-not-be-your-friend

BTW, I REALLY like this guy's website and approach. Like this article about avoiding food fanaticism (something I'm prone to, but thanks to being exposed to a LOT of people who do well on a LOT of different diets, I've moved away from)

As long as a person doesn't have fructose malabsorption issues (Amazing that I'd never heard about THIS before, until someone from This List brought it up!) the alternative is to make your own using dried coconut flakes and water. Hmmm sounds like a job for the Vitamix + a nut milk bag!

BTW, my coffee is the one addiction that I can't (won't REALLY don't want to) break. At least it is only 1/2 caffeinated and the decaf portion is organic / swiss water processed, and the caffeine portion is organic…

But I digress.

So back to the coconut milk. I'll report back on how making my own from dried coconut flakes goes.

And now I'm off to do more research on fructose malabsorption issues…

Here's one article: http://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/13/5687.pdf

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><