RemedySpot.com

Re: smoothies/soups suggestions for chemo patient

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Green soups would be great.  I like one that you make by first steaming the veggies:1 bundle parsley3 med zucchini½ lb string beans4 stalks celery Then add a quart of either water or I use trader joes low sodium veggie broth.  Cook about 15 minutes and then puree in vitamix.  Very alkaline and tasty - Bonnie www.bonniesherbals.com“creating radiance with herbs and water” http://www.facebook.com/RadiantHealthforLifehttp://www.twitter.com/_RadiantHealthhttp://www.linkedin.com/in/bonnierogersComing soon:  we are rebranding, our new name will be www.RadiantHealthforLife.com.com   From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of berlinsmithSent: Sunday, March 04, 2012 11:56 PM Subject: smoothies/soups suggestions for chemo patient Hi all- My elderly neighbor was recently diagnosed with stomach cancer. He has not been able to eat much and I've been making him pureed soups. He is starting chemotherapy tomorrow. I wonder what kinds of soups or smoothies would be beneficial for him? Does anyone here have experience with this and/or suggestions?Thanks so much--- Amber

Guest guest

That actually sounds good Bonnie, for even those of us who do not

face those challenges that the neighbor does. Thanks for sharing it.

Velda

On 3/4/2012 9:15 PM, Bonnie wrote:

Green

soups would be great. I like one that you make by first

steaming the veggies:

bundle parsley

med zucchini

½

lb string beans

stalks celery

Then

add a quart of either water or I use trader joes low sodium

veggie broth. Cook about 15 minutes and then puree in

vitamix. Very alkaline and tasty -

Bonnie

www.bonniesherbals.com

“creating

radiance with herbs and water”

http://www.facebook.com/RadiantHealthforLife

http://www.twitter.com/_RadiantHealth

http://www.linkedin.com/in/bonnierogers

Coming

soon: we are rebranding, our new name will be www.RadiantHealthforLife.com.com

[mailto: ] On

Behalf Of berlinsmith

Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2012 11:56 PM

Subject: smoothies/soups

suggestions for chemo patient

Hi all- My elderly

neighbor was recently diagnosed with stomach cancer. He

has not been able to eat much and I've been making him

pureed soups. He is starting chemotherapy tomorrow. I

wonder what kinds of soups or smoothies would be

beneficial for him? Does anyone here have experience

with this and/or suggestions?

Thanks so much--- Amber

Guest guest

There is a book called, "Beating Cancer With Nutrition" on this page:http://vitamixlady.com/misc-information/The most nutrient packed Smoothies are Green Smoothies.Cancer feeds on sugar, so I'd limit the fruits to the low glycemic fruits like berries, and green apples.Sadly, it is the immune system that fights cancer cells, and chemo suppresses the immune system. Once someone has chose the "conventional treatment" route for fighting cancer, you might have to wait until chemo is over to attempt to "help" rebuild the immune system.

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Mar 4, 2012, at 11:55 PM, berlinsmith wrote:

Hi all- My elderly neighbor was recently diagnosed with stomach cancer. He has not been able to eat much and I've been making him pureed soups. He is starting chemotherapy tomorrow. I wonder what kinds of soups or smoothies would be beneficial for him? Does anyone here have experience with this and/or suggestions?

Thanks so much--- Amber

Guest guest

THANK You Bonnie! That just went into the Soups Recipe folder!/links/Recipe_Links_001298558025/Soups_001327151354/

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Mar 5, 2012, at 12:15 AM, Bonnie wrote:

Green soups would be great. I like one that you make by first steaming the veggies:1 bundle parsley3 med zucchini½ lb string beans4 stalks celery Then add a quart of either water or I use trader joes low sodium veggie broth. Cook about 15 minutes and then puree in vitamix. Very alkaline and tasty - Bonnie www.bonniesherbals.com“creating radiance with herbs and water” http://www.facebook.com/RadiantHealthforLifehttp://www.twitter.com/_RadiantHealthhttp://www.linkedin.com/in/bonnierogersComing soon: we are rebranding, our new name will be www.RadiantHealthforLife.com.com From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of berlinsmithSent: Sunday, March 04, 2012 11:56 PM Subject: smoothies/soups suggestions for chemo patient Hi all- My elderly neighbor was recently diagnosed with stomach cancer. He has not been able to eat much and I've been making him pureed soups. He is starting chemotherapy tomorrow. I wonder what kinds of soups or smoothies would be beneficial for him? Does anyone here have experience with this and/or suggestions?Thanks so much--- Amber

Guest guest

Thanks, all.

Lee Ann, my neighbor is pretty traditional and is just following his doctor's

suggestions for conventional treatment. At this point, I'm trying to get some

food in him so he doesn't become weaker. I'm hoping he survives their

treatment... Sad.

Take care-- Amber

Guest guest

I suspected this to be the case and there is great good in just getting nourishment in any comforting form into him. I am sure you are a blessing to them and your example is a blessing to me :-)

On Mar 5, 2012, at 10:45 AM, berlinsmith wrote:

Thanks, all.

Lee Ann, my neighbor is pretty traditional and is just following his doctor's suggestions for conventional treatment. At this point, I'm trying to get some food in him so he doesn't become weaker. I'm hoping he survives their treatment... Sad.

Take care-- Amber

Guest guest

Lea Ann

Love all you do...I think the person should research for themselves if Cancer

feeds on sugar.

You would have to change your blood sugar levels to do so. Eating fruit will not

change your blood sugar levels. Getting the proper nutrition is best. Green

Smoothies are great for nutrition and fruits are great for getting proper

calories along with nutrition.

Again I love all you do and the support but I do think this should be looked

into further before someone would consider removing only but a few fruits from

their diet.

>

> Hi all- My elderly neighbor was recently diagnosed with stomach cancer. He has

not been able to eat much and I've been making him pureed soups. He is starting

chemotherapy tomorrow. I wonder what kinds of soups or smoothies would be

beneficial for him? Does anyone here have experience with this and/or

suggestions?

>

> Thanks so much--- Amber

>

Guest guest

Good advice! :-)

On Mar 5, 2012, at 1:22 PM, epithets79 wrote:

Lea Ann

Love all you do...I think the person should research for themselves if Cancer feeds on sugar.

You would have to change your blood sugar levels to do so. Eating fruit will not change your blood sugar levels. Getting the proper nutrition is best. Green Smoothies are great for nutrition and fruits are great for getting proper calories along with nutrition.

Again I love all you do and the support but I do think this should be looked into further before someone would consider removing only but a few fruits from their diet.

>

> Hi all- My elderly neighbor was recently diagnosed with stomach cancer. He has not been able to eat much and I've been making him pureed soups. He is starting chemotherapy tomorrow. I wonder what kinds of soups or smoothies would be beneficial for him? Does anyone here have experience with this and/or suggestions?

>

> Thanks so much--- Amber

>

Guest guest

Though I'm sure this is a very complicated topic---more than is feasible to

fully delve into here!--- I asked my Mom the same question regarding food to

make for my neighbor. My Mom is a nurse, so she's usually a good resource. She

said the same thing: cancer feeds on sugar.

So, to quickly find out more info, I found this part of an article--- I thought

it was helpful in explaining how cancer " feeds " on sugar (which, when you read

this, is not completely accurate). I thought others might find it helpful...

" ...sugar doesn't exactly " feed " cancer cells, it is a good idea to limit the

amount of simple sugar you eat. This is because when you eat a lot of sugar,

your body produces a lot of insulin.

Insulin is a natural substance made by the body. Insulin can tell cells to grow.

In simple terms, insulin can " rev up " cell growth. For healthy cells, this is a

good thing. This is because the cells in your body grow, divide, die, and are

replaced as part of the natural process of living. However, cancer cells can be

encouraged to grow more, too, when our bodies produce too much insulin. So while

some insulin in the body is normal, excess insulin may encourage cancer cells to

grow more, which is not a good thing. " (from 'Caring for Cancer' website)

To sum up, I will make my neighbor smoothies, but limit them to ones that won't

create an insulin spike.

>

> Lea Ann

>

> Love all you do...I think the person should research for themselves if Cancer

feeds on sugar.

>

> You would have to change your blood sugar levels to do so. Eating fruit will

not change your blood sugar levels. Getting the proper nutrition is best. Green

Smoothies are great for nutrition and fruits are great for getting proper

calories along with nutrition.