RemedySpot.com

Re: Regarding the lotion recipe I used

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hey there , Why not go ahead and post it to this list - I am sure that there are plenty of people who would like to know what it is. I am also pretty sure that this thread will peter out of natural causes :-) OR it will pick up steam on the other list :-)

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Feb 26, 2012, at 9:54 PM, Kimble wrote:

Hi all,I know Lea Ann wants this topic moved to the OT list which I completely understand and agree with her policy. However at this time, I don't want to join the OT list, because I need to scale down on emails. I do love personal emails, so I wanted to let you know that if anyone wants the lotion recipe I used, please email me directly! I emailed about the lotion recipe I used and will email as well because they asked about it.

Blessings,On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 6:25 PM, <jupiter7@...> wrote:

I *think* I'd like to make natural shampoo and conditioner for my family. I've googled the topic and looked at some websites, but wanted to ask the vast knowledge base of this group. I'm not looking to cure, treat, or prevent any hair or scalp problem, just interested in using fewer chemicals.

When I was growing up in the '50s, my mom washed our hair with baby shampoo (terrible, I know) and used apple cider vinegar as a conditioner.

Any experience with soapwort or aloe vera for shampoo, and coconut oil as a regular daily conditioner?

Thanks,

I'd like the recipe. Thanks•Robbin On Feb 26, 2012, at 10:11 PM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

Hey there , Why not go ahead and post it to this list - I am sure that there are plenty of people who would like to know what it is. I am also pretty sure that this thread will peter out of natural causes :-) OR it will pick up steam on the other list :-)

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Feb 26, 2012, at 9:54 PM, Kimble wrote:

Hi all,I know Lea Ann wants this topic moved to the OT list which I completely understand and agree with her policy. However at this time, I don't want to join the OT list, because I need to scale down on emails. I do love personal emails, so I wanted to let you know that if anyone wants the lotion recipe I used, please email me directly! I emailed about the lotion recipe I used and will email as well because they asked about it.

I *think* I'd like to make natural shampoo and conditioner for my family. I've googled the topic and looked at some websites, but wanted to ask the vast knowledge base of this group. I'm not looking to cure, treat, or prevent any hair or scalp problem, just interested in using fewer chemicals.

When I was growing up in the '50s, my mom washed our hair with baby shampoo (terrible, I know) and used apple cider vinegar as a conditioner.

Any experience with soapwort or aloe vera for shampoo, and coconut oil as a regular daily conditioner?

Thanks,

Hi ,I would love the lotion recipe. Please send it to me. Thanks. From: Kimble <nkimble@...> Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2012 7:54 PM Subject: Regarding the lotion recipe I used

Thanks,

Okay, here is the lotion recipe I used.  :)http://asonomagarden.wordpress.com/2009/02/26/how-to-make-handmade-handlotion-w-label-download/  This is the recipe I started with and what I ended up doing is below.  The comments on her post were helpful and she has some cute labels you can download too.

2 cups hot water - I used this much and maybe even a little more because I wanted it more liquidy and less of a cream.

1/4 cup emulsifying wax - This makes it creamy and helps to bring the oil and water together. Her recipe said not to use beeswax, but I'd still like to try it when I can get some.  

1/4 cup jojoba 1/2 tsp vitamin E oil

1/2 tsp grapefruit seed extract I like mine unscented, but you can add essential oil if you want a scent (and helps preserve).

Warm oil and wax in microwave for about a minute until wax is all melted.  Stir and add vitamin E oil and GSE.  Heat water in microwave for about a minute.  Pour water into the oil mixture and stir mixture every few minutes or so for the next 1/2 hour to keep it from separating.  I put it in a glass bottle with a pump.  You can pour it in there while it is still in a liquid state, just make sure to shake it every few minutes.  After that 1/2 hour, if I stir it or shake it, it does not ever separate for me.  Enjoy your creamy lotion!  

I know using the microwave is probably not the best, but it got me started doing this because it made it sound so easy and fast.  You can use a double boiler if you'd like.  I used jojoba, she used olive oil - you can use whatever oil you want. (Coconut oil did make it feel a little greasier.)  I have made it without grapefruit seed extract and the batch I put in a clear glass bottle lasted fine for a few months, but the one I put in a dark bottle had some dark spots in it a few months after making it.  So, this time I included GSE and vitamin e oil, since I have read that these help it last well, and I will see how it goes.  Making smaller batches would also help this, as would storing it in the fridge, but I like to use it in my bathroom.  

Here are some other links I have saved:http://www.easy-aromatherapy-recipes.com/body-lotion-recipe.html

and this has some good info on oils to use: http://www.easy-aromatherapy-recipes.com/aromatherapy-carrier-oils.html  - I found jojoba on etsy for a pretty good price and vitamin e oil on vitacost.

http://www.herbal-remedies-at-home.com/homemade-lotion-recipes.html

Feel free to ask if you have any questions!  I am definitely in the learning stage but am happy to share anything I have found.  I'd love to know if you experiment and find any great tips!

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 8:11 PM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

Hey there , Why not go ahead and post it to this list - I am sure that there are plenty of people who would like to know what it is.  I am also pretty sure that this thread will peter out of natural causes :-)  OR it will pick up steam on the other list :-)

Thanks !

This was the first link in the

Links > 1 -RECIPES > Non-Food Recipes

(Cleaning / Beauty / Crafts / Etc.)

Folder!

Blessings,

Lea Ann Savage

Satellite Beach, FL

(321) 773-7088 (home)

(321-961-9219 (cell)

www.VitamixLady.com

www..com

<:)))><

On Feb 27, 2012, at 11:29 AM, Kimble wrote:

Okay, here is the lotion recipe I used. :)

http://asonomagarden.wordpress.com/2009/02/26/how-to-make-handmade-handlotion-w-\

label-download/ This is the recipe I started with and what I ended up doing is

below. The comments on her post were helpful and she has some cute labels you

can download too.

2 cups hot water - I used this much and maybe even a little more because I

wanted it more liquidy and less of a cream.

1/4 cup emulsifying wax - This makes it creamy and helps to bring the oil and

water together. Her recipe said not to use beeswax, but I'd still like to try it

when I can get some.

1/4 cup jojoba

1/2 tsp vitamin E oil

1/2 tsp grapefruit seed extract

I like mine unscented, but you can add essential oil if you want a scent (and

helps preserve).

Warm oil and wax in microwave for about a minute until wax is all melted. Stir

and add vitamin E oil and GSE. Heat water in microwave for about a minute.

Pour water into the oil mixture and stir mixture every few minutes or so for the

next 1/2 hour to keep it from separating. I put it in a glass bottle with a

pump. You can pour it in there while it is still in a liquid state, just make

sure to shake it every few minutes. After that 1/2 hour, if I stir it or shake

it, it does not ever separate for me. Enjoy your creamy lotion!

I know using the microwave is probably not the best, but it got me started doing

this because it made it sound so easy and fast. You can use a double boiler if

you'd like. I used jojoba, she used olive oil - you can use whatever oil you

want. (Coconut oil did make it feel a little greasier.) I have made it without

grapefruit seed extract and the batch I put in a clear glass bottle lasted fine

for a few months, but the one I put in a dark bottle had some dark spots in it a

few months after making it. So, this time I included GSE and vitamin e oil,

since I have read that these help it last well, and I will see how it goes.

Making smaller batches would also help this, as would storing it in the fridge,

but I like to use it in my bathroom.

Here are some other links I have saved:

http://www.easy-aromatherapy-recipes.com/body-lotion-recipe.html

and this has some good info on oils to use:

http://www.easy-aromatherapy-recipes.com/aromatherapy-carrier-oils.html - I

found jojoba on etsy for a pretty good price and vitamin e oil on vitacost.

http://www.herbal-remedies-at-home.com/homemade-lotion-recipes.html

Feel free to ask if you have any questions! I am definitely in the learning

stage but am happy to share anything I have found. I'd love to know if you

experiment and find any great tips!

Very interesting. I make my own lotion too, but I use beeswax, I have not tried

emulsifying wax. Here is the recipe I have used a few times.

Janet

Lotion

4 teaspoons beexwax

1 teaspoon almond oil

1/2 cup grapeseed oil

1/2 cup olive oil

Put these 4 ingredients into glass bowl in a large pot with 1 inch of water on

medium heat - I don't have a double boiler. Stir occasionally. Leave in water

until all wax is melted and it reaches 155 degrees. Take out of water and cool

some.

3/4 cup rose water

1 teaspoon borax

1/4 cup distilled water

2 teaspoons aloe vera - scraped from a leaf

1 teaspoon lemon juice

Put these ingredients into a 2 cup glass measuring cup. Put cup into a pot of

hot water. Leave until it reaches 120 degrees. Take out of hot water.

Pour hot water into medium size bowl. Slowly drizzle the warm wax and oil

mixture into the water. Blend with electric blender for a couple of minutes

until thickens. I bought a $6 blender at Walmart to do this with so I won't use

it for food.

Add 2 drops vitamin E oil.

Add 10 drops eucalyptus oil and 10 drops peppermint oil - or any essential oil

you want.

Continue mixing another minute. Pour into containers. Cool, then put tops on

containers.

>

> >

> >