RemedySpot.com

Re: Kiwi question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

On the links page there is a link titled, "Seeds, Stems, Leaves, and Skins you can use…" Kiwis are discussed there :-)

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Mar 4, 2012, at 2:30 PM, Navarro wrote:

I usually always peel my kiwis before putting them in my smoothies, mostly because I can't find them organic around here but also that just sounds a little "fuzzy" to me. My friend says he never peels them he just cuts them in half and throws them in. Are we supposed to peel kiwis or not?

Guest guest

I've peeled them but I have a friend who's husband eats the outside as well. I just don't think I would want to myself just cause of it's fuzzy appearance I guess although since I,ve got my vitamix I throw strawberries in with the stems soooo

From: Navarro <navarrosarah@...>Subject: Kiwi question"" <navarrosarah@...>Received: Sunday, March 4, 2012, 2:30 PM

I usually always peel my kiwis before putting them in my smoothies, mostly because I can't find them organic around here but also that just sounds a little "fuzzy" to me. My friend says he never peels them he just cuts them in half and throws them in. Are we supposed to peel kiwis or not?

Guest guest

Conventional Kiwis - I would peel them.Organic - I would try it both ways and see if not peeling works for you. You CAN eat the skin, so it is a personal taste preference. Personally, I don't find the skin to be that difficult to remove, and I am not aware of any special nutrients in Kiwi skin. The only way I would not peel is if I were feeling really lazy and the kiwi was organic.

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Mar 4, 2012, at 2:34 PM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:On the links page there is a link titled, "Seeds, Stems, Leaves, and Skins you can use…" Kiwis are discussed there :-)

Guest guest

A whole frozen kiwi would be quite a clunker in the Vitamix. Sometimes with a large, frozen, round item, the Vitamix just smoothes out the edges into a nice frozen ball :-) I'd roughly chop them (sharp corners are good :-), flash freeze them, then put in a freezer bag.

On Mar 5, 2012, at 10:33 AM, runner_dude wrote:

i throw my kiwis in whole

in my smoothies ...

i prefer putting kiwis in my smoothies

over oranges because i don't have to peel them ...

question ? ... has anyone ever frozen kiwis ?

i have too many ... can i let them ripen

and then freeze them whole ?

thanks

Sent: Monday, March 5, 2012 4:56 AM

Subject: Digest Number 1274

Vitamix Enthusiasts

Messages In This Digest (5 Messages)

1a.

Re: Kiwi question From: Lea Ann Savage

2a.

Re: smoothies/soups suggestions for chemo patient From: Lea Ann Savage

2b.

Re: smoothies/soups suggestions for chemo patient From: Lea Ann Savage

Re: Thank you Lea Ann From: Lea Ann Savage

4a.

Re: Spicy V8 Green smoothie From: Lea Ann Savage View All Topics | Create New Topic Messages

1a.

Re: Kiwi question

Posted by: "Lea Ann Savage" lsavage@... agapemom123

Mon Mar 5, 2012 4:04 am (PST)

Conventional Kiwis - I would peel them.

Organic - I would try it both ways and see if not peeling works for you. You CAN eat the skin, so it is a personal taste preference. Personally, I don't find the skin to be that difficult to remove, and I am not aware of any special nutrients in Kiwi skin. The only way I would not peel is if I were feeling really lazy and the kiwi was organic.

Blessings,

Lea Ann Savage

Satellite Beach, FL

(321) 773-7088 (home)

(321-961-9219 (cell)

www.VitamixLady. com

www.VitamixEnthusia sts.com

<:)))><

On Mar 4, 2012, at 2:34 PM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:

On the links page there is a link titled, "Seeds, Stems, Leaves, and Skins you can use…" Kiwis are discussed there :-)

Blessings,

Lea Ann Savage

Satellite Beach, FL

(321) 773-7088 (home)

(321-961-9219 (cell)

www.VitamixLady. com

Back to top Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post

Messages in this topic (4)

2a.

Re: smoothies/soups suggestions for chemo patient

Mon Mar 5, 2012 4:16 am (PST)

There is a book called, "Beating Cancer With Nutrition" on this page:

http://vitamixlady. com/misc- information/

The most nutrient packed Smoothies are Green Smoothies.

Cancer feeds on sugar, so I'd limit the fruits to the low glycemic fruits like berries, and green apples.

Sadly, it is the immune system that fights cancer cells, and chemo suppresses the immune system. Once someone has chose the "conventional treatment" route for fighting cancer, you might have to wait until chemo is over to attempt to "help" rebuild the immune system.

Blessings,

Lea Ann Savage

Satellite Beach, FL

(321) 773-7088 (home)

(321-961-9219 (cell)

www.VitamixLady. com

On Mar 4, 2012, at 11:55 PM, berlinsmith wrote:

Hi all- My elderly neighbor was recently diagnosed with stomach cancer. He has not been able to eat much and I've been making him pureed soups. He is starting chemotherapy tomorrow. I wonder what kinds of soups or smoothies would be beneficial for him? Does anyone here have experience with this and/or suggestions?

Thanks so much--- Amber

Messages in this topic (5)

2b.

Re: smoothies/soups suggestions for chemo patient

Mon Mar 5, 2012 4:18 am (PST)

THANK You Bonnie! That just went into the Soups Recipe folder!

http://health. groups.. com/group/ VitamixEnthusias ts/links/ Recipe_Links_ 001298558025/ Soups_0013271513 54/

Blessings,

Lea Ann Savage

Satellite Beach, FL

(321) 773-7088 (home)

(321-961-9219 (cell)

www.VitamixLady. com

On Mar 5, 2012, at 12:15 AM, Bonnie wrote:

Green soups would be great. I like one that you make by first steaming the veggies:

1 bundle parsley

3 med zucchini

½ lb string beans

4 stalks celery

Then add a quart of either water or I use trader joes low sodium veggie broth. Cook about 15 minutes and then puree in vitamix. Very alkaline and tasty -

Bonnie

www.bonniesherbals. com

“creating radiance with herbs and water”

http://www.facebook .com/RadiantHeal thforLife

http://www.twitter. com/_RadiantHeal th

http://www.linkedin .com/in/bonniero gers

Coming soon: we are rebranding, our new name will be www.RadiantHealthfo rLife.com. com

Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2012 11:56 PM

Subject: [ ] smoothies/soups suggestions for chemo patient

Hi all- My elderly neighbor was recently diagnosed with stomach cancer. He has not been able to eat much and I've been making him pureed soups. He is starting chemotherapy tomorrow. I wonder what kinds of soups or smoothies would be beneficial for him? Does anyone here have experience with this and/or suggestions?

Thanks so much--- Amber

Messages in this topic (5)

Re: Thank you Lea Ann

Mon Mar 5, 2012 4:19 am (PST)

Oh, well, I can't help you there because I shop daily or every other day LOL :-)

Blessings,

Lea Ann Savage

Satellite Beach, FL

(321) 773-7088 (home)

(321-961-9219 (cell)

www.VitamixLady. com

On Mar 5, 2012, at 1:23 AM, Velda wrote:

If you meant this for me, trust me Lea Ann, I can tolerate greens. I was, until maybe last Nov, drinking a green smoothie for breakfast and lunch and was good with that. I have just not planned so I can do smoothies daily. I did them when I happened to have stuff to do them. Mostly daily for almost a year. Just had some stuff interfere here at home and stopped and am interested in actually planning so I can do smoothies daily.

Velda

On 3/4/2012 6:48 PM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:

> What I did when I started my "Green Smoothie" habit 4 years ago, was buy a large bunch of greens (if sold in bunches :-) or a large container of spinach, and work on using it up, and when it was gone try to buy a different kind (or two) next time.

>

> If it were me, I wouldn't worry so much about getting a certain amount of greens in per day (at least at the beginning) just make the Green Smoothies taste good :-) As you drink them over time, you can slowly increase the greens to your taste. If you try to go with too many greens too soon, 1) your body might rebel :-), and 2) you might not like the taste and the habit won't be one that you will WANT to continue. If you make them taste (and feel) good, your body will naturally start craving more of the greens.

>

> That is my .4 (two cents with inflation accounted for ;-)

>

> Blessings,

> Lea Ann Savage

> Satellite Beach, FL

> (321) 773-7088 (home)

> (321-961-9219 (cell)

> www.VitamixLady. com

> www.VitamixEnthusia sts.com

> <:)))><

>

> On Mar 4, 2012, at 9:38 PM, Velda wrote:

>

>

> Thanks Janet. You have put an answer on what puzzled me the most. Some say use a pound of greens a day and others say a bunch. Bunches can weigh different amounts, esp as seasons change. I have noticed here that in winter the bunches are much larger than in the peak of summer. But you have given me a place to start on shopping.

> Velda

> On 3/4/2012 5:09 PM, Janet Fowler wrote:

>

>> Velda,

>> I am using about 1 bunch of greens a day per person. The last few months I probably ate half that amount every day. Now I mixed them up, so I did not use a whole bunch of kale in one sitting. In my smoothie I put a few leaves kale, a few sprigs parsley, a few mustard or collard greens, a celery and 1/2 cucumber with frozen fruit. Then for lunch I had an energy soup (those recipes last a few days), a snack of kale chips in the afternoon. Then a salad for dinner where I use more greens. I have mostly cut out all bread except when I go out with friends. When you plan to eat mostly vegetables and fruit, there is not room for junk food. I made Rene's kale crackers and they are amazingly wonderful on page 120. I eat 3 or 4 of them with my soup or salad- more greens in my diet.

>> Good luck. I am having so much fun making new recipes from Rene's book and from this group.

>> Janet

>

>

Messages in this topic (33)

4a.

Re: Spicy V8 Green smoothie

Mon Mar 5, 2012 4:34 am (PST)

This looks REALLY good , and has all of the taste elements necessary for a good "V8 Copy Cat" recipe - tartness (from the lime juice) and salty (from the bullion). I'm with you - I need the Sea Salt (my bullion is made with Sea Salt). Often, when I am making a V8, I skip the bullion and just use Sea Salt.

I filed this away on our group's home page here:

Links > 1 -RECIPES > Blended Salads / Cold Green Soups / "Saloups" / All-Veggie Smoothies / V8 Juice Recipes

http://health. groups.. com/group/ VitamixEnthusias ts/links/ Recipe_Links_ 001298558025/ Blended_Salads_ __Cold_Green_ Soups____ Sal_001327151383 /

Blessings,

Lea Ann Savage

Satellite Beach, FL

(321) 773-7088 (home)

(321-961-9219 (cell)

www.VitamixLady. com

On Mar 5, 2012, at 6:43 AM, flnancy1958 wrote:

This morning's creation:

Handful of spnach

1 small clove of garlic

1/4 cup raw red pepper

1 large tomato

1 can chili tomato (mild)

1 carrot

1 stalk celery

1/2 spoonful of vegetable soup bouillion concentrate disolved in about a cup of water

3 capfuls of lime juice (sorry, didn't have fresh on hand)

Buzz this first and then I go back and add a lidful of ice.

I am loving this. Not really too spicy but might be a sodium issue for some. Some of you might prefer sea salt instead but I don't think I would like it without any type of salt.

Let me know what you think.

Messages in this topic (2)

Recent Activity

New Members

New Photos

New LinksVisit Your Group

Meditation and

Lovingkindness

A Group

to share and learn.

Biz Resources

Y! Small Business

Articles, tools,

forms, and more.

Health

Asthma Triggers

How you can

identify them.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web

Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Members | Calendar

Please bookmark these pages:

/links/

(this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)

/links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/

PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!

Change settings via the Web ( ID required)

Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Individual | Switch format to Traditional

Visit Your Group | Terms of Use | Unsubscribe