Rate this topic

Guest guest

Lea Ann,

it's been 3 days since I ground up 2 pounds of organic carrots to make the

ginger fermented carrots. I tried them tonight. Way too salty and I'm not sure

they are fermented. How do I tell? They smell bad, but that could be just from

the ginger. Did yours taste too salty?

Janet

I am so sorry, they should NOT smell bad or be too salty. Mine smelled sweet and gingery. I have to say that my first batch of sauerkraut turned out AWESOME, my first batch of ginger carrots turned out AWESOME as well, but my second batch of ginger carrots were very yucky at the top, but after I scooped out the top 1/4 of the jar, the last part was pretty good. My third batch of ginger carrots tasted "off" throughout the whole jar and I eventually dumped it.I really need to do another batch of ginger carrots. I want another batch that is AWESOME!I'm currently eating a mixed veggie combo that turned out pretty good. Beets, carrots, celery, kale, cucumber, and red cabbage. I won't do it again (WAY to purple) but I've done it without the beets and with green instead of red cabbage, and it was pretty good.I finally bought the Nappa Cabbage and the red pepper flakes to make Kim Chee too. Can't wait to see how that turns out!I know that you can ferment veggies with just salt, but soon I'm going to try this veggie ferment product just to see how it goes…http://bodyecology.com/control-weight-vegetable-culture-starter.html

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Feb 25, 2012, at 7:31 PM, Janet Fowler wrote:

Lea Ann,

it's been 3 days since I ground up 2 pounds of organic carrots to make the ginger fermented carrots. I tried them tonight. Way too salty and I'm not sure they are fermented. How do I tell? They smell bad, but that could be just from the ginger. Did yours taste too salty?

Janet

http://kristensraw.com/blog/2009/07/08/how-to-make-sauerkraut-video-raw-organic-and-unpasteurized/

above link is a video for fermented cabbage...she uses just salt and TIME...I'm going to try this out.. B

Re: Fermented carrots

I am so sorry, they should NOT smell bad or be too salty. Mine smelled sweet and gingery. I have to say that my first batch of sauerkraut turned out AWESOME, my first batch of ginger carrots turned out AWESOME as well, but my second batch of ginger carrots were very yucky at the top, but after I scooped out the top 1/4 of the jar, the last part was pretty good. My third batch of ginger carrots tasted "off" throughout the whole jar and I eventually dumped it.

I really need to do another batch of ginger carrots. I want another batch that is AWESOME!

I'm currently eating a mixed veggie combo that turned out pretty good. Beets, carrots, celery, kale, cucumber, and red cabbage. I won't do it again (WAY to purple) but I've done it without the beets and with green instead of red cabbage, and it was pretty good.

I finally bought the Nappa Cabbage and the red pepper flakes to make Kim Chee too. Can't wait to see how that turns out!

I know that you can ferment veggies with just salt, but soon I'm going to try this veggie ferment product just to see how it goes…

http://bodyecology.com/control-weight-vegetable-culture-starter.html

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Feb 25, 2012, at 7:31 PM, Janet Fowler wrote:

Lea Ann,it's been 3 days since I ground up 2 pounds of organic carrots to make the ginger fermented carrots. I tried them tonight. Way too salty and I'm not sure they are fermented. How do I tell? They smell bad, but that could be just from the ginger. Did yours taste too salty?Janet

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest

We ferment carrots but let them go about 2 weeks. Less if we have starter from the last time. Salt and water and let them go. Like pickles when they are done.

Thanks,My Favorite Video for My Little One!

On Feb 25, 2012, at 6:31 PM, Janet Fowler wrote:

Lea Ann,

it's been 3 days since I ground up 2 pounds of organic carrots to make the ginger fermented carrots. I tried them tonight. Way too salty and I'm not sure they are fermented. How do I tell? They smell bad, but that could be just from the ginger. Did yours taste too salty?

Janet