RemedySpot.com

Re: Diabetic smoothies

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I get some recipes for my type 1 grandchildren at http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/diabetic-recipes/drink/smoothies-shakes-drink-recipes/?page=2 . TomFrom: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Sent: Monday, January 16, 2012 2:09 PM Subject: Diabetic smoothies I am trying to read all these messages, but so many I can't keep up with them.I need to know smoothies that are " Legal " for diabetics.

Are you on a set number of carbs/meal? You can make a smoothy out of anything,

just add the carbs up as you place items into the container and stop when you

get to your carb limit. In general, non-starchy veggies have very low carbs.

Hello ,If you visit the links page at www..com there is a folder titled Recipes - click on that. Then look down the list for the link titled, "Saloups "Blended Salads" These are VERY diabetic friendly! I eat them all of the time!Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Jan 16, 2012, at 2:08 PM, wrote:

I am trying to read all these messages, but so many I can't keep up with them.

I need to know smoothies that are"Legal" for diabetics.

Make sure to add protein to your fruit smoothies.I add in a nutbutter

(almond,peanut or sunflower) I also add in a protein powder (non sweetened

type,no bht,I like Biochem). Adding in the proteins keeps your sugars from

absorbing so fast. Till I got the balances right I tested my sugar levels at 1

hr and 2 hr post consumption to make sure I wasn't spiking. The All green

smoothies cause not spikes :)

~Deb

>

> I am trying to read all these messages, but so many I can't keep up with them.

>

> I need to know smoothies that are " Legal " for diabetics.

>

I am diabetic also. I have to make sure that I don't exceed 45 carbs per meal. I can make myself a vegetarian soup, such as mushroom soup, tomato soup or a cabbage soup. I count the carbs that go into each preparation. A (1 cup) bowl of soup and a slice of bread are often my lunch.

I have had a VitaMix (steel one) since 1960. I now have the 5200, but I understand that there is a new home use VitaMix out that has a larger motor.

I am also on a blood thinner. Pradoxa, unlike Coumadin, I can stop this drug without any harm to me. No blood testing necessary. My doctor will be stopping Pradoxa the end of this month. I'm recovering from open heart surgery (June 28th 2011, stroke July 5th 2011 and then an aneurism July 16th)

As far as fruit smoothies go, you have to be careful of the amount of carbs, even though the sugar in fruits are not like the starch of a potato.

I was told by my doctor, not to process the seeds of an apple, because of the arsenic content in the pits and seeds of the apple and other fruits. I do eat as a treat Pomegranate seeds.

Most vegetables are allowed for diabetics. Green, Red, Yellow all colors. Carrots contain the most sugar.

I downloaded a chart from a diabetic site, showing the carbs in 1/4 cup of fruit, nuts, grains, and just about everything.

The rule I follow is one handfull amounts to 15 carbs. So no matter what I make it never exceeds three handfuls. The rest is ice or water, or broth or fat free milk. If I use a broth or milk, I check what 1 cup would be and adjust my 3 handfuls of other items. I'm short. 4'10" and weigh 117 pounds. My doctor would like to see me at 110 pounds, so I'm not too far off the mark.

I also make my own version of whole wheat bread in the VitaMix.

Roslyn Zencker

sdale, Arizona

Hello Roslyn,Thanks for sharing this information!I am sure that lots of people would be interested to get your whole wheat bread recipe! (hint, hint, :-)Here is an informative video about the cyanide (accidentally saying arsenic is a common mistake) in apple seeds:http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4312930190281243507#Skip to 28 minutes into the video if you want only the information on apple seeds...

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Jan 17, 2012, at 3:19 AM, Roslyn Zencker wrote:

I am diabetic also. I have to make sure that I don't exceed 45 carbs per meal. I can make myself a vegetarian soup, such as mushroom soup, tomato soup or a cabbage soup. I count the carbs that go into each preparation. A (1 cup) bowl of soup and a slice of bread are often my lunch.

I have had a VitaMix (steel one) since 1960. I now have the 5200, but I understand that there is a new home use VitaMix out that has a larger motor.

I am also on a blood thinner. Pradoxa, unlike Coumadin, I can stop this drug without any harm to me. No blood testing necessary. My doctor will be stopping Pradoxa the end of this month. I'm recovering from open heart surgery (June 28th 2011, stroke July 5th 2011 and then an aneurism July 16th)

As far as fruit smoothies go, you have to be careful of the amount of carbs, even though the sugar in fruits are not like the starch of a potato.

I was told by my doctor, not to process the seeds of an apple, because of the arsenic content in the pits and seeds of the apple and other fruits. I do eat as a treat Pomegranate seeds.

Most vegetables are allowed for diabetics. Green, Red, Yellow all colors. Carrots contain the most sugar.

I downloaded a chart from a diabetic site, showing the carbs in 1/4 cup of fruit, nuts, grains, and just about everything.

The rule I follow is one handfull amounts to 15 carbs. So no matter what I make it never exceeds three handfuls. The rest is ice or water, or broth or fat free milk. If I use a broth or milk, I check what 1 cup would be and adjust my 3 handfuls of other items. I'm short. 4'10" and weigh 117 pounds. My doctor would like to see me at 110 pounds, so I'm not too far off the mark.

Roslyn Zencker

sdale, Arizona

I remember in the 70's I use to buy apricot pits by the bag in the health food store. then The FDA took it off the market.

Lucille

Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:58 AM

Subject: Re: Diabetic smoothies

Hello Roslyn,

Thanks for sharing this information!

I am sure that lots of people would be interested to get your whole wheat bread recipe! (hint, hint, :-)

Here is an informative video about the cyanide (accidentally saying arsenic is a common mistake) in apple seeds:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4312930190281243507#

Skip to 28 minutes into the video if you want only the information on apple seeds...

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Jan 17, 2012, at 3:19 AM, Roslyn Zencker wrote:

Roslyn Zencker

sdale, Arizona