RemedySpot.com

Re: Ice or sorbet assistance

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Heavy cream to the 1 cup line, sweetener of choice, frozen strawberries to the 4.5 cup line.

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Mar 25, 2012, at 3:58 PM, Carol wrote:

Hi,

My granddaughters are coming over shortly for dinner... ages 2 & 3. I have frozen strawberries on hand... looking for assistance on how to make a quick ice cream or sorbet. etc.

thanks

Best regards,

Carol

From: Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2012 2:39 PMSubject: Re: UPDATE _ was hi all - hope someone can give me guidance re an older Vitamix

That is a 5000. It has a variable speed control. AWESOME!!! You can do it all in that one!!!

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Mar 25, 2012, at 2:33 PM, eilismaura wrote:

dug into the deep dark recesses of the closet (ok it really was not that far back) and found the machineit is a Model VMO103 11.5 amps white base and plastic container>> I bought mine in the late 80s - it is currently sitting in the back of the closet.> > As I get ready to bring it out and freshen it up I am looking at what to use it for.> > I see there are 'wet' and "dry" applications and containers -- would a vitamix from the late 80s be by its nature more 'wet' than 'dry'?> > > Thanks in advance !!!>

Guest guest

You are one amazing lady. Thank you

Best regards,

Carol Wahl

From: Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2012 4:10 PMSubject: Re: Ice or sorbet assistance

Heavy cream to the 1 cup line, sweetener of choice, frozen strawberries to the 4.5 cup line.

Hi,

My granddaughters are coming over shortly for dinner... ages 2 & 3. I have frozen strawberries on hand... looking for assistance on how to make a quick ice cream or sorbet. etc.

thanks

Best regards,

Carol

From: Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2012 2:39 PMSubject: Re: UPDATE _ was hi all - hope someone can give me guidance re an older Vitamix

That is a 5000. It has a variable speed control. AWESOME!!! You can do it all in that one!!!

dug into the deep dark recesses of the closet (ok it really was not that far back) and found the machineit is a Model VMO103 11.5 amps white base and plastic container>> I bought mine in the late 80s - it is currently sitting in the back of the closet.> > As I get ready to bring it out and freshen it up I am looking at what to use it for.> > I see there are 'wet' and "dry" applications and containers -- would a vitamix from the late 80s be by its nature more 'wet' than 'dry'?> > > Thanks in advance !!!>

Guest guest

Add a little Xantham gum if you have it. Makes a big difference.Sent from my iPadHDOn Mar 25, 2012, at 4:16 PM, Carol <cdj53@...> wrote:

You are one amazing lady. Thank you

Best regards,

Carol Wahl

From: Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2012 4:10 PMSubject: Re: Ice or sorbet assistance

Hi,

thanks

Best regards,

Carol

Guest guest

1/2 teaspoon to 2 cups of frozen fruit is wha I have been using.

> > >

> > > I bought mine in the late 80s - it is currently sitting in the back of the

closet.

> > >

> > > As I get ready to bring it out and freshen it up I am looking at what to

use it for.

> > >

> > > I see there are 'wet' and " dry " applications and containers -- would a

vitamix from the late 80s be by its nature more 'wet' than 'dry'?

> > >

> > >

> > > Thanks in advance !!!

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Well, oops! My ice cream was well kind of a disaster. Okay. I put an ice tray of bean cubes, 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, 1/2 cup milk and a little agave. I couldn't get it to turn to ice cream so I added another tray of cubes thinking more would be better. It still didn't freeze. So, um, what did I do wrong. Should I have put less milk? I didn't have anything but low-fat milk. Well, at least it was creamy. Lol! And now I'm out of beans. A household without beans is a serious issue. (smiles)

Vicki, who is laughing her head off.

Guest guest

NO BEANS??? *****GASP***** How awful! lol. You might have used too much

milk-you really didn't need any liquid except just a splash to get the machine

going, and often, the agave is enough to do that. Beans are so creamy that you

don't need additional milk for texture, just to get things going. How long did

you process it and on what speed?

>

> Well, oops! My ice cream was well kind of a disaster. Okay. I put an ice

tray of bean cubes, 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, 1/2 cup milk and a little

agave. I couldn't get it to turn to ice cream so I added another tray of cubes

thinking more would be better. It still didn't freeze. So, um, what did I do

wrong. Should I have put less milk? I didn't have anything but low-fat milk.

Well, at least it was creamy. Lol! And now I'm out of beans. A household

without beans is a serious issue. (smiles)

>

> Vicki, who is laughing her head off.

>

Guest guest

I started at one, quickly went to ten and then to high. It was about 2 minutes. Then I stopped it and added the other tray of beans. Then it was probably 2 more minutes. It's a good thing dry white beans are relatively inexpensive. Lol!

NO BEANS??? *****GASP***** How awful! lol. You might have used too much milk-you really didn't need any liquid except just a splash to get the machine going, and often, the agave is enough to do that. Beans are so creamy that you don't need additional milk for texture, just to get things going. How long did you process it and on what speed?>> Well, oops! My ice cream was well kind of a disaster. Okay. I put an ice tray of bean cubes, 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, 1/2 cup milk and a little agave. I couldn't get it to turn to ice cream so I added another tray of cubes thinking more would be better. It still didn't freeze. So, um, what did I do wrong. Should I have put less milk? I didn't have anything but low-fat milk. Well, at least it was creamy. Lol! And now I'm out of beans. A household without beans is a serious issue. (smiles)> > Vicki, who is laughing her head off.>

Guest guest

Laughter is the BEST medicine! :-)This link was filed under links - so I copied it over to the Ice Cream / Sorbet folder under Recipes also…/message/17417 (Ice Cream Making TECHNIQUE) Get these concepts down pat, and you can turn most anything into ice cream!Oh, the answer to your question specifically - you needed about 1 cup of milk, and yes, extra ice compounded rather than helped the situation. LOL I'm praying for more bean cubes to materialize quickly at your house :-)

On Mar 25, 2012, at 11:26 PM, Vicki wrote:

Well, oops! My ice cream was well kind of a disaster. Okay. I put an ice tray of bean cubes, 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, 1/2 cup milk and a little agave. I couldn't get it to turn to ice cream so I added another tray of cubes thinking more would be better. It still didn't freeze. So, um, what did I do wrong. Should I have put less milk? I didn't have anything but low-fat milk. Well, at least it was creamy. Lol! And now I'm out of beans. A household without beans is a serious issue. (smiles)

Guest guest

- is this true of frozen beans? I was under the impression that she was using frozen bean cubes with only 1/2 a cup of milk. It is true that there are different densities of frozen ingredients and that my 1 cup liquid to 3 cups frozen "rule of thumb" is just a guideline, but are you saying that frozen "bean paste cubes" will turn into ice cream without ANY liquid?

On Mar 25, 2012, at 11:26 PM, wrote:

NO BEANS??? *****GASP***** How awful! lol. You might have used too much milk-you really didn't need any liquid except just a splash to get the machine going, and often, the agave is enough to do that. Beans are so creamy that you don't need additional milk for texture, just to get things going. How long did you process it and on what speed?

>

> Well, oops! My ice cream was well kind of a disaster. Okay. I put an ice tray of bean cubes, 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, 1/2 cup milk and a little agave. I couldn't get it to turn to ice cream so I added another tray of cubes thinking more would be better. It still didn't freeze. So, um, what did I do wrong. Should I have put less milk? I didn't have anything but low-fat milk. Well, at least it was creamy. Lol! And now I'm out of beans. A household without beans is a serious issue. (smiles)

>

> Vicki, who is laughing her head off.

>

Guest guest

I certainly had a mess. Thought about freezing it and thawing and trying again. But changed my mind at that point.

Thanks. At some point I just know I'll be able to access those pages. (smiles)

Laughter is the BEST medicine! :-)

This link was filed under links - so I copied it over to the Ice Cream / Sorbet folder under Recipes also…

/message/17417 (Ice Cream Making TECHNIQUE) Get these concepts down pat, and you can turn most anything into ice cream!

Oh, the answer to your question specifically - you needed about 1 cup of milk, and yes, extra ice compounded rather than helped the situation.

LOL I'm praying for more bean cubes to materialize quickly at your house :-)

Guest guest

And I was using frozen beans.

- is this true of frozen beans? I was under the impression that she was using frozen bean cubes with only 1/2 a cup of milk.

It is true that there are different densities of frozen ingredients and that my 1 cup liquid to 3 cups frozen "rule of thumb" is just a guideline, but are you saying that frozen "bean paste cubes" will turn into ice cream without ANY liquid?

On Mar 25, 2012, at 11:26 PM, wrote:

NO BEANS??? *****GASP***** How awful! lol. You might have used too much milk-you really didn't need any liquid except just a splash to get the machine going, and often, the agave is enough to do that. Beans are so creamy that you don't need additional milk for texture, just to get things going. How long did you process it and on what speed?>> Well, oops! My ice cream was well kind of a disaster. Okay. I put an ice tray of bean cubes, 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, 1/2 cup milk and a little agave. I couldn't get it to turn to ice cream so I added another tray of cubes thinking more would be better. It still didn't freeze. So, um, what did I do wrong. Should I have put less milk? I didn't have anything but low-fat milk. Well, at least it was creamy. Lol! And now I'm out of beans. A household without beans is a serious issue. (smiles)> > Vicki, who is laughing her head off.>

Guest guest

I have found that the density of the puree I freeze DOES make a big difference,

especially when using a liquid sweetener, such as agave. You really only need

enough liquid to get the machine churning, so the density of the frozen cubes

does seem to make a difference. With most of the bean cubes, you only need the

tiniest bit of liquid to get things purring away.

> >

> > Well, oops! My ice cream was well kind of a disaster. Okay. I put an ice

Well, at least it was creamy. Lol! And now I'm out of beans. A household without

beans is a serious issue. (smiles)

> >

> > Vicki, who is laughing her head off.

> >

>

Guest guest

I had forgotten that ratio Lea Ann. Now I'm thinking perhaps I can get more ice cream out of my preps. I really only get two servings out of my method. Its delicious but the servings are a little small. Well, shoot they are probably the right size but I'd love a little larger serving. My Ivete used coconut milk in hers and she said it was great. I've not tried Rocky Road or other flavors but I certainly plan to.My new device is an iSI whip so I'm dabbling with some molecular gastronomy. It's great fun but I'm just at the beginning. Like I was a year ago, or was it two years?, with the VitaMix.TerrySent from my iPadHDOn Mar 26, 2012, at 5:34 AM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

Laughter is the BEST medicine! :-)This link was filed under links - so I copied it over to the Ice Cream / Sorbet folder under Recipes also…/message/17417 (Ice Cream Making TECHNIQUE) Get these concepts down pat, and you can turn most anything into ice cream!Oh, the answer to your question specifically - you needed about 1 cup of milk, and yes, extra ice compounded rather than helped the situation. LOL I'm praying for more bean cubes to materialize quickly at your house :-)

Guest guest

Terry, keep in mind that a lot of the products for molecular gastronomy are GMO,

such as maltodextrin, isomalt and other things, but you can usually get a

similar result with more natural things such as agar, tapioca starch (easily

made in the Vitamix) and other tweaks, if you are at all concerned about using

the " standard " MG ingredients.

> >

> >

> > Well, oops! My ice cream was well kind of a disaster. Okay. I put an ice

> >

> > Vicki, who is laughing her head off.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Those are things I am playing with right now.

Oh my, how I love this stuff.

Sent from my iPadHD

On Mar 26, 2012, at 9:59 AM, " " <berrywell@...> wrote:

>

> Terry, keep in mind that a lot of the products for molecular gastronomy are

GMO, such as maltodextrin, isomalt and other things, but you can usually get a

similar result with more natural things such as agar, tapioca starch (easily

made in the Vitamix) and other tweaks, if you are at all concerned about using

the " standard " MG ingredients.

>

>

>

>

>>>

>>>

>>> Well, oops! My ice cream was well kind of a disaster. Okay. I put an ice

>>>

>>> Vicki, who is laughing her head off.

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>

>

>

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

> Please bookmark these pages:

>

> /links/

> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes,

and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)

>

>

/links/IMPORTANT_VitamixE\

nthusiasts_Membership__001327149393/

> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you

unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of

Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from

coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page

and read messages online!

Guest guest

I make an individual sherbert every day for a dairy/fruit portion on NS: 1/2 c.

skim milk + 1 tblsp. milk or cranberry concentrate, 1 cup frozen fruit -

strawberries/blueberries/mango - 1/3 c. Splenda. I also put in 1 tblsp. flaxseed

oil. Start at 1, go up to 10, go to High, use tamper. About 20 seconds. Makes

one huge serving. I put back in freezer for at least an hour, altho you can eat

right away.

Just got my Vitamix and so far this is the only thing I've made. Look forward

to seeing everything you all use it for.

Guest guest

I have beans cooking even now. So will try again. Thanks to both of you.

I have found that the density of the puree I freeze DOES make a big difference, especially when using a liquid sweetener, such as agave. You really only need enough liquid to get the machine churning, so the density of the frozen cubes does seem to make a difference. With most of the bean cubes, you only need the tiniest bit of liquid to get things purring away.> >> > Well, oops! My ice cream was well kind of a disaster. Okay. I put an ice tray of bean cubes, 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, 1/2 cup milk and a little agave. I couldn't get it to turn to ice cream so I added another tray of cubes thinking more would be better. It still didn't freeze. So, um, what did I do wrong. Should I have put less milk? I didn't have anything but low-fat milk. Well, at least it was creamy. Lol! And now I'm out of beans. A household without beans is a serious issue. (smiles)> > > > Vicki, who is laughing her head off.> >>