Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Did you mean recipes as in for smoothies? I can't eat fruit, so I often use

beans as the base for my smoothies, ice creams, sauces, etc. I puree cooked

mild white beans, and freeze them in ice cube trays then transfer the cubes to

zipper bags. You can add a couplle of cubes or spoonfuls of cooked beans to any

smoothie-green or fruit. For ice cream, I sweeten with agave, raw cocoa or

cacao nibs, honey, etc. My daughter likes a " salsa smoothie " , which is beans,

veggie stock, campari tomatoes, onions, cilantro, celery, red and yellow and

green peppers, and a slice of jalapeno. It looks pretty bland, but is

delicious. If you start with a mild bean (great northern, etc) you should be

able to flavor as desired. Lentils and chickpeas are great too. Nice punch of

protein!

>

>

> I know I saw a recipe over the past week using black beans for brownies. While

I believe most members of this list make vegetable/fruit smoothies, does anyone

have a good bean recipe or 2? Thanks so much!

>

>

>

>

> O taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in

him.

> Ps. 34:8

>

Guest guest

As I am vegan and like some protein in my smoothie, I usually add about 1/2 cup of white beans to my morning smoothies. I have been wondering if pinto beans would be too strong of a flavor to add in, I have been making seperate pots, but would like to just add pintos if they would work without tasting bad.

> > From: berrywell@...> Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 21:54:49 +0000> Subject: Re: Bean smoothies?> > Did you mean recipes as in for smoothies? I can't eat fruit, so I often use beans as the base for my smoothies, ice creams, sauces, etc. I puree cooked mild white beans, and freeze them in ice cube trays then transfer the cubes to zipper bags. You can add a couplle of cubes or spoonfuls of cooked beans to any smoothie-green or fruit. For ice cream, I sweeten with agave, raw cocoa or cacao nibs, honey, etc. My daughter likes a "salsa smoothie", which is beans, veggie stock, campari tomatoes, onions, cilantro, celery, red and yellow and green peppers, and a slice of jalapeno. It looks pretty bland, but is delicious. If you start with a mild bean (great northern, etc) you should be able to flavor as desired. Lentils and chickpeas are great too. Nice punch of protein!> > > > >

Guest guest

Yes , I was looking for ways/recipes to incorporate beans into my smoothies. I'd like to get more protein into my drinks, though I believe I'd heard many vegetables do have protein. I know it's a mental thing, but my smoothies are meal replacements for later in the day and I'm brainwashed into thinking I need meat or beans with my supper. I'll work on getting over that! :) Also, I'm wondering if beans make for a more filling smoothie. , you're one step ahead of me in your experience with beans in smoothies. Perhaps others can chime in on their bean variety experiences. Thanks so much, ladies!

O taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.

Ps. 34:8 Subject: RE: Re: Bean smoothies?

As I am vegan and like some protein in my smoothie, I usually add about 1/2 cup of white beans to my morning smoothies. I have been wondering if pinto beans would be too strong of a flavor to add in, I have been making seperate pots, but would like to just add pintos if they would work without tasting bad.

> Did you mean recipes as in for smoothies? I can't eat fruit, so I often use beans as the base for my smoothies, ice creams, sauces, etc. I puree cooked mild white beans, and freeze them in ice cube trays then transfer the cubes to zipper bags. You can add a couplle of cubes or spoonfuls of cooked beans to any smoothie-green or fruit. For ice cream, I sweeten with agave, raw cocoa or cacao nibs, honey, etc. My daughter likes a "salsa smoothie", which is beans, veggie stock, campari tomatoes, onions, cilantro, celery, red and yellow and green peppers, and a slice of jalapeno. It looks pretty bland, but is delicious. If you start with a mild bean (great northern, etc) you should be able to flavor as desired. Lentils and chickpeas are great too. Nice punch of protein!> > > > >

Guest guest

To be honest, the whole " protein " thing is a myth. ALL food has protein.

Unless you are living off of pablum in a third world country, there is little

need to worry about protein. I have been vegetarian for over 10 years, my 17

year old daughter vegetarian for most of her life-I have our levels checked

every year and both of us are " above average " , despite the fact that we don't

SEEK protein sources. We eat a lot of red quinoa, which is a complete protein

on its own-we often add it to smoothies. The truth is, most people get too MUCH

protein, so there is rarely a need to supplement. A good scoop of beans in your

smoothie sure will help fill you up for longer though, and it adds a nice

creaminess.

>

>

> Yes , I was looking for ways/recipes to incorporate beans into my

smoothies. I'd like to get more protein into my drinks, though I believe I'd

heard many vegetables do have protein. I know it's a mental thing, but my

smoothies are meal replacements for later in the day and I'm brainwashed into

thinking I need meat or beans with my supper. I'll work on getting over that! :)

Also, I'm wondering if beans make for a more filling smoothie. , you're one

step ahead of me in your experience with beans in smoothies. Perhaps others can

chime in on their bean variety experiences. Thanks so much, ladies!

>

>

>

>

him.

> Subject: RE: Re: Bean smoothies?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> As I am vegan and like some protein in my smoothie, I usually add about 1/2

cup of white beans to my morning smoothies. I have been wondering if pinto

beans would be too strong of a flavor to add in, I have been making seperate

pots, but would like to just add pintos if they would work without tasting bad.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> > Did you mean recipes as in for smoothies? I can't eat fruit, so I often use

beans as the base for my smoothies, ice creams, sauces, etc. I puree cooked mild

white beans, and freeze them in ice cube trays then transfer the cubes to zipper

bags. You can add a couplle of cubes or spoonfuls of cooked beans to any

smoothie-green or fruit. For ice cream, I sweeten with agave, raw cocoa or cacao

nibs, honey, etc. My daughter likes a " salsa smoothie " , which is beans, veggie

stock, campari tomatoes, onions, cilantro, celery, red and yellow and green

peppers, and a slice of jalapeno. It looks pretty bland, but is delicious. If

you start with a mild bean (great northern, etc) you should be able to flavor as

desired. Lentils and chickpeas are great too. Nice punch of protein!

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Sold! ... I'm going to try adding beans! :) I've only had white quinoa. I love it and add it to my smoothies as well. Thanks for the nutrition lesson! :)

Ps. 34:8 From: berrywell@...Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 23:18:29 +0000Subject: Re: Bean smoothies?

To be honest, the whole "protein" thing is a myth. ALL food has protein. Unless you are living off of pablum in a third world country, there is little need to worry about protein. I have been vegetarian for over 10 years, my 17 year old daughter vegetarian for most of her life-I have our levels checked every year and both of us are "above average", despite the fact that we don't SEEK protein sources. We eat a lot of red quinoa, which is a complete protein on its own-we often add it to smoothies. The truth is, most people get too MUCH protein, so there is rarely a need to supplement. A good scoop of beans in your smoothie sure will help fill you up for longer though, and it adds a nice creaminess.

>

>

> Yes , I was looking for ways/recipes to incorporate beans into my smoothies. I'd like to get more protein into my drinks, though I believe I'd heard many vegetables do have protein. I know it's a mental thing, but my smoothies are meal replacements for later in the day and I'm brainwashed into thinking I need meat or beans with my supper. I'll work on getting over that! :) Also, I'm wondering if beans make for a more filling smoothie. , you're one step ahead of me in your experience with beans in smoothies. Perhaps others can chime in on their bean variety experiences. Thanks so much, ladies!

>

>

>

>

> O taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.

> Subject: RE: Re: Bean smoothies?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> As I am vegan and like some protein in my smoothie, I usually add about 1/2 cup of white beans to my morning smoothies. I have been wondering if pinto beans would be too strong of a flavor to add in, I have been making seperate pots, but would like to just add pintos if they would work without tasting bad.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> > Did you mean recipes as in for smoothies? I can't eat fruit, so I often use beans as the base for my smoothies, ice creams, sauces, etc. I puree cooked mild white beans, and freeze them in ice cube trays then transfer the cubes to zipper bags. You can add a couplle of cubes or spoonfuls of cooked beans to any smoothie-green or fruit. For ice cream, I sweeten with agave, raw cocoa or cacao nibs, honey, etc. My daughter likes a "salsa smoothie", which is beans, veggie stock, campari tomatoes, onions, cilantro, celery, red and yellow and green peppers, and a slice of jalapeno. It looks pretty bland, but is delicious. If you start with a mild bean (great northern, etc) you should be able to flavor as desired. Lentils and chickpeas are great too. Nice punch of protein!

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Try red quinoa sometime-delish! I find it much milder than the white. It makes

AWSOME flour when ground in the Vitamix. We are gluten free, and use it as our

primary flour.

>

>

> Sold! ... I'm going to try adding beans! :) I've only had white quinoa. I love

it and add it to my smoothies as well. Thanks for the nutrition lesson! :)

>

>

>

him.

> Ps. >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

Guest guest

I will try the red in the near future, but had heard it wasn't as mild as the white. I guess, everything's relative! Thanks, !

Ps. 34:8 From: berrywell@...Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 03:57:16 +0000Subject: Re: Bean smoothies?

Try red quinoa sometime-delish! I find it much milder than the white. It makes AWSOME flour when ground in the Vitamix. We are gluten free, and use it as our primary flour.

>

>

> Sold! ... I'm going to try adding beans! :) I've only had white quinoa. I love it and add it to my smoothies as well. Thanks for the nutrition lesson! :)

>

>

>

> O taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.

> Ps. >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>