RemedySpot.com

Confused About Cookware...Help!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I really don't know if this is the proper way to ask a question or if it is even

related to the vitamix concepts. However, I decided to make bone broth to add to

the soups I make in my vitamix. In my ignorance of materials for cooking, I made

the broth in my speckled " cheap " huge pot. Really the only " big " pot I have at

the moment. I am in the process of buying a stainless steel stock pot, but was

anxious to get started. Then I read on Dr. Mercola's site that the speckled

cookware leeches A LOT of aluminum in the cooking process, more than aluminum

cookware. Needless to say, I just threw out the broth. Now I am in the process

of buying a whole new set of stainless steel cookware....but confusion is

abound. I looked at All Clad (I think that's the name) but read varying reviews

of this cookware...it is a bit pricey...but worth it if it is truly safe to cook

with. However, most of the stainless steel cookware is layered with aluminum. Is

this still safe?

My question: Does anyone know of a truly safe and well made stainless steel

cookware?

Thank you all so much for your help!!!

L.

Guest guest

I have a set of All-Clad cookware and I love it, but you are right they are expensive. I acquired my set piece by piece over time at a discounted price. I got many of the items at T J Maxx but Macy's also offers some nice sales on them from time to time too. The top three cookware sets recommended by Cooks Country (Cooks Illustrated) a show on PBS are: Winner: All-Clad Best Buy: Tramontina 18/10 Stainless Steel TriPly-Clad Cookware Calphalon Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Cookware Wal-Mart sells the Tramontia for $149.97 http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-8-Piece-Cookware-Set/5716478 Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of leskovar5Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:08 AM Subject: Confused About Cookware...Help! I really don't know if this is the proper way to ask a question or if it is even related to the vitamix concepts. However, I decided to make bone broth to add to the soups I make in my vitamix. In my ignorance of materials for cooking, I made the broth in my speckled " cheap " huge pot. Really the only " big " pot I have at the moment. I am in the process of buying a stainless steel stock pot, but was anxious to get started. Then I read on Dr. Mercola's site that the speckled cookware leeches A LOT of aluminum in the cooking process, more than aluminum cookware. Needless to say, I just threw out the broth. Now I am in the process of buying a whole new set of stainless steel cookware....but confusion is abound. I looked at All Clad (I think that's the name) but read varying reviews of this cookware...it is a bit pricey...but worth it if it is truly safe to cook with. However, most of the stainless steel cookware is layered with aluminum. Is this still safe?My question: Does anyone know of a truly safe and well made stainless steel cookware?Thank you all so much for your help!!! L.

Guest guest

If you are near a city, your best / cheapest option is to find a restaurant supply store. They will have good quality stuff that will last a long time. Look for the NSF stamp meaning it is commercial quality.

------------------------------------------

This message was sent from my

phone. Please forgive typos and brevity.

On Mar 27, 2012 6:08 AM, " leskovar5 " <leskovar5@...> wrote:

I really don't know if this is the proper way to ask a question or if it is even related to the vitamix concepts. However, I decided to make bone broth to add to the soups I make in my vitamix. In my ignorance of materials for cooking, I made the broth in my speckled " cheap " huge pot. Really the only " big " pot I have at the moment. I am in the process of buying a stainless steel stock pot, but was anxious to get started. Then I read on Dr. Mercola's site that the speckled cookware leeches A LOT of aluminum in the cooking process, more than aluminum cookware. Needless to say, I just threw out the broth. Now I am in the process of buying a whole new set of stainless steel cookware....but confusion is abound. I looked at All Clad (I think that's the name) but read varying reviews of this cookware...it is a bit pricey...but worth it if it is truly safe to cook with. However, most of the stainless steel cookware is layered with aluminum. Is this still safe?

My question: Does anyone know of a truly safe and well made stainless steel cookware?

L.

Guest guest

I am not an expert in this area ( is :-) but I have read that if a magnet is strongly attracted to the stainless steel there is less nickel in it. If the magnet does not attract, there is more nickel (and not a good choice).After giving some of my pots the "magnet test" I got rid of two of them, and kept two :-)

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Mar 27, 2012, at 6:07 AM, leskovar5 wrote:

I really don't know if this is the proper way to ask a question or if it is even related to the vitamix concepts. However, I decided to make bone broth to add to the soups I make in my vitamix. In my ignorance of materials for cooking, I made the broth in my speckled "cheap" huge pot. Really the only "big" pot I have at the moment. I am in the process of buying a stainless steel stock pot, but was anxious to get started. Then I read on Dr. Mercola's site that the speckled cookware leeches A LOT of aluminum in the cooking process, more than aluminum cookware. Needless to say, I just threw out the broth. Now I am in the process of buying a whole new set of stainless steel cookware....but confusion is abound. I looked at All Clad (I think that's the name) but read varying reviews of this cookware...it is a bit pricey...but worth it if it is truly safe to cook with. However, most of the stainless steel cookware is layered with aluminum. Is this still safe?

My question: Does anyone know of a truly safe and well made stainless steel cookware?

L.

Guest guest

It is such a shame that MOST cookware has one issue or another. I had amassed a

WONDERFUL colleciton of cookware over the years, but got rid of all of it when I

found out about leaching, toxic non stick coatings, aluminum, etc. Glad you are

realizing it BEFORE you buy! With stainless, what you want to look at is the

BACK number-most is 18/10, some is 18/18, etc. The back number (as in the 10,

18, etc) refers to the alloy content of nickel-which is an allergen for many.

Carry a magnet with you when you go looking for cookware, if you want to avoid a

high nickel content. In my case, being allergic to nickel, I had to get rid of

the set I had when I realized it was part of what was causing me issues. You

want to avoid ALL non stick type pans, even the new " green pans " , since they

haven't been around long enough to determine if there IS a problem, and because

most of the manufacturers are not even able to tell you WHAT they are made of.

Aluminum pans are pretty easy to tell they are cheap-very lightweight. I do use

the speckle pans for solar cooking-I feel the ceramic coating makes them safer

than straight aluminum. For ME, the safest choice was Corning Visions-all

tempered glass with no known issues. I have been able to rebuild my collection

of cookware by picking up Visions when I find it on sale, at ourlet malls, yard

sales and thrift shops. Visions has a lovely LARGE stockpot-and it is safe in

the oven too! You can often find coupons online for Corning too. There is a

slight learning curve to using glass, especially when frying, but once you learn

the curve, it is simply wonderful, and pretty much non stick by its very nature.

I also found two different types of glass slow cookers, since I found out most

slow cookers contain lead, and I feel safer with the glass ones. Slow cookers

are wonderful for making broths! Good luck on your search!!

>

> I really don't know if this is the proper way to ask a question or if it is

even related to the vitamix concepts. However, I decided to make bone broth to

add to the soups I make in my vitamix. In my ignorance of materials for cooking,

I made the broth in my speckled " cheap " huge pot. Really the only " big " pot I

have at the moment. I am in the process of buying a stainless steel stock pot,

but was anxious to get started. Then I read on Dr. Mercola's site that the

speckled cookware leeches A LOT of aluminum in the cooking process, more than

aluminum cookware. Needless to say, I just threw out the broth. Now I am in the

process of buying a whole new set of stainless steel cookware....but confusion

is abound. I looked at All Clad (I think that's the name) but read varying

reviews of this cookware...it is a bit pricey...but worth it if it is truly safe

to cook with. However, most of the stainless steel cookware is layered with

aluminum. Is this still safe?

> My question: Does anyone know of a truly safe and well made stainless steel

cookware?

> Thank you all so much for your help!!!

> L.

>

Guest guest

I'm also an All-Clad cook. I've used it for years. I think I have every piece they ever made. Not only are they great to use they clean up like a dream. My pieces look like new and believe me over the years they had gotten a very hard workout.I do use some nonstick pans which I like very much. The are Swiss Diamond. They are quite different since they don't seem to have a "coating" of any kind. I imagine they do but I'm not aware of a coating when i use them. They are just nonstick. they are also dishwasher safe. Very sturdy and very good to cook with. Like All-Clad they are pricey. I imagine all use aluminum for its ability to conduct heat but it's within the walls of the s.s. that clad the cooking vessel.TerrySent from my iPadHDOn Mar 27, 2012, at 7:14 AM, "Tom Matuschak" <pmatus@...> wrote:

I have a set of All-Clad cookware and I love it, but you are right they are expensive. I acquired my set piece by piece over time at a discounted price. I got many of the items at T J Maxx but Macy's also offers some nice sales on them from time to time too. The top three cookware sets recommended by Cooks Country (Cooks Illustrated) a show on PBS are: Winner: All-Clad Best Buy: Tramontina 18/10 Stainless Steel TriPly-Clad Cookware Calphalon Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Cookware Wal-Mart sells the Tramontia for $149.97 http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-8-Piece-Cookware-Set/5716478 Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of leskovar5Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:08 AM Subject: Confused About Cookware...Help! I really don't know if this is the proper way to ask a question or if it is even related to the vitamix concepts. However, I decided to make bone broth to add to the soups I make in my vitamix. In my ignorance of materials for cooking, I made the broth in my speckled "cheap" huge pot. Really the only "big" pot I have at the moment. I am in the process of buying a stainless steel stock pot, but was anxious to get started. Then I read on Dr. Mercola's site that the speckled cookware leeches A LOT of aluminum in the cooking process, more than aluminum cookware. Needless to say, I just threw out the broth. Now I am in the process of buying a whole new set of stainless steel cookware....but confusion is abound. I looked at All Clad (I think that's the name) but read varying reviews of this cookware...it is a bit pricey...but worth it if it is truly safe to cook with. However, most of the stainless steel cookware is layered with aluminum. Is this still safe?My question: Does anyone know of a truly safe and well made stainless steel cookware?Thank you all so much for your help!!! L.

Guest guest

I've just been doing research on this same subject. I was looking into this set

at Costco - anyone have this one? Guess I'll bring a magnet and check it out:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11631728 & search=pots & Mo=19 & cm_r\

e=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search & lang=en-US & Nr=P_CatalogName:BC & Sp=S & N=5000043\

& whse=BC & Dx=mode+matchallpartial & Ntk=Text_Search & Dr=P_CatalogName:BC & Ne=4000000 & \

D=pots & Ntt=pots & No=14 & Ntx=mode+matchallpartial & Nty=1 & topnav= & s=1

>

> I have a set of All-Clad cookware and I love it, but you are right they are

> expensive. I acquired my set piece by piece over time at a discounted

> price. I got many of the items at T J Maxx but Macy's also offers some nice

> sales on them from time to time too.

>

>

>

> The top three cookware sets recommended by Cooks Country (Cooks Illustrated)

> a show on PBS are:

>

>

>

> Winner: All-Clad

>

>

>

> Best Buy: Tramontina 18/10 Stainless Steel TriPly-Clad Cookware

>

>

>

> Calphalon Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Cookware

>

>

>

> Wal-Mart sells the Tramontia for $149.97

>

> http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-8-Piece-Cookware-Set/5716478

>

>

>

> Tom

>

>

>

> From:

> [mailto: ] On Behalf Of leskovar5

> Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:08 AM

>

> Subject: Confused About Cookware...Help!

>

>

>

>

>

> I really don't know if this is the proper way to ask a question or if it is

> even related to the vitamix concepts. However, I decided to make bone broth

> to add to the soups I make in my vitamix. In my ignorance of materials for

> cooking, I made the broth in my speckled " cheap " huge pot. Really the only

> " big " pot I have at the moment. I am in the process of buying a stainless

> steel stock pot, but was anxious to get started. Then I read on Dr.

> Mercola's site that the speckled cookware leeches A LOT of aluminum in the

> cooking process, more than aluminum cookware. Needless to say, I just threw

> out the broth. Now I am in the process of buying a whole new set of

> stainless steel cookware....but confusion is abound. I looked at All Clad (I

> think that's the name) but read varying reviews of this cookware...it is a

> bit pricey...but worth it if it is truly safe to cook with. However, most of

> the stainless steel cookware is layered with aluminum. Is this still safe?

> My question: Does anyone know of a truly safe and well made stainless steel

> cookware?

> Thank you all so much for your help!!!

> L.

>

Guest guest

I would be interested in your opinion, or anyone, on Swiss Diamond

also, as I was given a wonderful set of these -- by the same chef who

steered me to Vitamix last fall.

Thank you,

W

On 3/27/12 7:22 AM Terry Pogue wrote:

> I do use some nonstick pans which I like very much. The are Swiss Diamond.

> They are quite different since they don't seem to have a " coating " of any

> kind. I imagine they do but I'm not aware of a coating when i use them. They

> are just nonstick. they are also dishwasher safe. Very sturdy and very good

> to cook with. Like All-Clad they are pricey.

Guest guest

Here is a link of a discussion on a blog between the Kirtland and Tramontina.http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/791318 Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Marnie Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:49 AM Subject: Re: Confused About Cookware...Help! I've just been doing research on this same subject. I was looking into this set at Costco - anyone have this one? Guess I'll bring a magnet and check it out:http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11631728 & search=pots & Mo=19 & cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search & lang=en-US & Nr=P_CatalogName:BC & Sp=S & N=5000043 & whse=BC & Dx=mode+matchallpartial & Ntk=Text_Search & Dr=P_CatalogName:BC & Ne=4000000 & D=pots & Ntt=pots & No=14 & Ntx=mode+matchallpartial & Nty=1 & topnav= & s=1--- In , " Tom Matuschak " <pmatus@...> wrote:>> I have a set of All-Clad cookware and I love it, but you are right they are> expensive. I acquired my set piece by piece over time at a discounted> price. I got many of the items at T J Maxx but Macy's also offers some nice> sales on them from time to time too. > > > > The top three cookware sets recommended by Cooks Country (Cooks Illustrated)> a show on PBS are:> > > > Winner: All-Clad > > > > Best Buy: Tramontina 18/10 Stainless Steel TriPly-Clad Cookware > > > > Calphalon Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Cookware > > > > Wal-Mart sells the Tramontia for $149.97 > > http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-8-Piece-Cookware-Set/5716478> > > > Tom> > > > From: > [mailto: ] On Behalf Of leskovar5> Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:08 AM> > Subject: Confused About Cookware...Help!> > > > > > I really don't know if this is the proper way to ask a question or if it is> even related to the vitamix concepts. However, I decided to make bone broth> to add to the soups I make in my vitamix. In my ignorance of materials for> cooking, I made the broth in my speckled " cheap " huge pot. Really the only> " big " pot I have at the moment. I am in the process of buying a stainless> steel stock pot, but was anxious to get started. Then I read on Dr.> Mercola's site that the speckled cookware leeches A LOT of aluminum in the> cooking process, more than aluminum cookware. Needless to say, I just threw> out the broth. Now I am in the process of buying a whole new set of> stainless steel cookware....but confusion is abound. I looked at All Clad (I> think that's the name) but read varying reviews of this cookware...it is a> bit pricey...but worth it if it is truly safe to cook with. However, most of> the stainless steel cookware is layered with aluminum. Is this still safe?> My question: Does anyone know of a truly safe and well made stainless steel> cookware?> Thank you all so much for your help!!!> L.>

Guest guest

I have no first hand knowledge of swiss diamond, so Terry might better be able

to answer your question. I did look in to it years ago, but found a few

negative reviews, and like most pans, the jury is still out on whether or not

the finish is safe-the manufacturers claim it to be, but then again so did

Teflon...and they still do, despite the fact that teflon pans come with a

warning label not to use them in households with birds, since the offgassing of

teflon is toxic to them...and I know FIRST hand that is true, as my beautiful

little bird Amelia was indeed killed by teflon. If it will kill ANY creature, I

am not cooking with it! I am uncomfortable when the very manufacturers of

cookware don't even know if it contains lead, leaching chemicals, etc-and few

are able to answer such questions if you call them. Terry can probably better

vouch for the swiss.

> > I do use some nonstick pans which I like very much. The are Swiss Diamond.

> > They are quite different since they don't seem to have a " coating " of any

> > kind. I imagine they do but I'm not aware of a coating when i use them.

They

> > are just nonstick. they are also dishwasher safe. Very sturdy and very good

> > to cook with. Like All-Clad they are pricey.

>

Guest guest

All I can tell you is that's it's first rate cookware. I've used it many years,

running it thru the dishwasher and it is just like new. But I have no

information that might address any allergy or other health issues. It doesn't

have any discernible evidence of a " coating " but nothing sticks to it. My usual

cooking is in All-Clad but if I need non-stick I reach for the Swiss Diamond

shelf.

Terry

Sent from my iPadHD

On Mar 27, 2012, at 12:30 PM, " " <berrywell@...> wrote:

> I have no first hand knowledge of swiss diamond, so Terry might better be able

to answer your question. I did look in to it years ago, but found a few

negative reviews, and like most pans, the jury is still out on whether or not

the finish is safe-the manufacturers claim it to be, but then again so did

Teflon...and they still do, despite the fact that teflon pans come with a

warning label not to use them in households with birds, since the offgassing of

teflon is toxic to them...and I know FIRST hand that is true, as my beautiful

little bird Amelia was indeed killed by teflon. If it will kill ANY creature, I

am not cooking with it! I am uncomfortable when the very manufacturers of

cookware don't even know if it contains lead, leaching chemicals, etc-and few

are able to answer such questions if you call them. Terry can probably better

vouch for the swiss.

>

>

>

>

>

>>> I do use some nonstick pans which I like very much. The are Swiss Diamond.

>>> They are quite different since they don't seem to have a " coating " of any

>>> kind. I imagine they do but I'm not aware of a coating when i use them.

They

>>> are just nonstick. they are also dishwasher safe. Very sturdy and very good

>>> to cook with. Like All-Clad they are pricey.

>>

>

>

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

> Please bookmark these pages:

>

> /links/

> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes,

and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)

>

>

/links/IMPORTANT_VitamixE\

nthusiasts_Membership__001327149393/

> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you

unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of

Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from

coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page

and read messages online!

Guest guest

Aloha,

Ahh cookware.... :) It's so expensive!

My favorite pots and pans are calphalon, and demeyere, and denby is my

favorite bakeware. [ I was told years ago by my midwife when I was pregnant,

that I also needed to have a cast iron pan. One, at least. " If you cook with it

once a week, you'll never be anemic again. " I do, and haven't been. And it's

not expensive. I have lodge brand.]

Anyway, Yes, good cookware costs a lot, so I buy one piece at a time and ask for

them for gifts. However, I do notice a difference in how well things cook, and

how much fun it is to cook in them. The heat diffuses more evenly so there fewer

hot spots resulting in a better overall product. However, I know a lot of people

who wouldn't notice a difference. (Just like I don't notice a significant

difference in pencils, but I have friends who do).

I have an all clad pot, the aluminum in it is " layered " under the pot for more

even diffusing of heat. The aluminum never touches the food. It works well,

very well, in fact, but I will replace it with demeyere when I can. I read an

article in cooks magazine and was surprised that demeyere didn't rate first

since I notice a big difference when I cook with it. I believe they rated all

clad as best pick.

Also, once I bought a calphalon pan super cheap from amazon ($19 for a $200

pan). It cooks better than what I had, but not nearly as good as the calphalon

bought from Sonoma. So, just an FYI to beware of knock offs.

My rambling 2 cents.

(I just noticed... My iPad touchscreen keyboard doesn't have a cents symbol!

What's up with that?!?)

Have fun picking out new pots and pans!

Aloha,

mirthfullady

> >

> > I really don't know if this is the proper way to ask a question or if it is

add to the soups I make in my vitamix. In my ignorance of materials for cooking,

I made the broth in my speckled " cheap " huge pot. Really the only " big " pot I

reviews of this cookware...it is a bit pricey...but worth it if it is truly safe

> > My question: Does anyone know of a truly safe and well made stainless steel

cookware?

> > Thank you all so much for your help!!!

> > L.

> >

>

Guest guest

I have a friend that swears by her Lodge fry pans. She's had them forever. She

now has mine. Too heavy for me. I can handle the All Clad except the larger

Roasting pan and I call my husband to lift that into and out of the oven. Even

this small Lodge I bought was too heavy for me to use at the cooktop, if I used

one I ended up in pain.

Terry

Sent from my iPadHD

On Mar 27, 2012, at 2:31 PM, " mirthfullady " <mirthfullady@...> wrote:

> Aloha,

>

> Ahh cookware.... :) It's so expensive!

>

> My favorite pots and pans are calphalon, and demeyere, and denby is my

that I also needed to have a cast iron pan. One, at least. " If you cook with it

once a week, you'll never be anemic again. " I do, and haven't been. And it's

not expensive. I have lodge brand.]

>

> Anyway, Yes, good cookware costs a lot, so I buy one piece at a time and ask

for them for gifts. However, I do notice a difference in how well things cook,

and how much fun it is to cook in them. The heat diffuses more evenly so there

fewer hot spots resulting in a better overall product. However, I know a lot of

people who wouldn't notice a difference. (Just like I don't notice a significant

difference in pencils, but I have friends who do).

>

> I have an all clad pot, the aluminum in it is " layered " under the pot for more

even diffusing of heat. The aluminum never touches the food. It works well,

very well, in fact, but I will replace it with demeyere when I can. I read an

article in cooks magazine and was surprised that demeyere didn't rate first

since I notice a big difference when I cook with it. I believe they rated all

clad as best pick.

>

> Also, once I bought a calphalon pan super cheap from amazon ($19 for a $200

pan). It cooks better than what I had, but not nearly as good as the calphalon

bought from Sonoma. So, just an FYI to beware of knock offs.

>

> My rambling 2 cents.

>

> (I just noticed... My iPad touchscreen keyboard doesn't have a cents symbol!

What's up with that?!?)

>

> Have fun picking out new pots and pans!

>

> Aloha,

> mirthfullady

>

>

>>>

>>> I really don't know if this is the proper way to ask a question or if it is

>>> My question: Does anyone know of a truly safe and well made stainless steel

cookware?

>>> Thank you all so much for your help!!!

>>> L.

>>>

>>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> /links/

> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes,

and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)

>

>

/links/IMPORTANT_VitamixE\

nthusiasts_Membership__001327149393/

> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you

unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of

Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from

coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page

and read messages online!

Guest guest

Thank you and Terry.

W

On 3/27/12 10:30 AM wrote:

> I have no first hand knowledge of swiss diamond, so Terry might better be able

> to answer your question.

Guest guest

Cast iron pans are supposed to be the friendliest metal pans for those with allergies. I have a few including a Dutch oven that makes the best stews or pot roasts. I don't have the All Clad roasting pan but I have all I need. I use the All-Clad 3 quart with their steam insert almost every day to steam vegetables. Last night I splurged a little and pan seared a well marbled steak and completed it in the oven to a perfectly medium rare. I deglazed the pan with red wine and made a beef stock/wine reduction with a sauce with a little butter to finish it all off. Pure heaven! Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Terry PogueSent: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 3:56 PM Subject: Re: Re: Confused About Cookware...Help! I have a friend that swears by her Lodge fry pans. She's had them forever. She now has mine. Too heavy for me. I can handle the All Clad except the larger Roasting pan and I call my husband to lift that into and out of the oven. Even this small Lodge I bought was too heavy for me to use at the cooktop, if I used one I ended up in pain.TerrySent from my iPadHDOn Mar 27, 2012, at 2:31 PM, " mirthfullady " <mirthfullady@...> wrote:> Aloha,> > Ahh cookware.... :) It's so expensive! > > My favorite pots and pans are calphalon, and demeyere, and denby is my favorite bakeware. [ I was told years ago by my midwife when I was pregnant, that I also needed to have a cast iron pan. One, at least. " If you cook with it once a week, you'll never be anemic again. " I do, and haven't been. And it's not expensive. I have lodge brand.] > > Anyway, Yes, good cookware costs a lot, so I buy one piece at a time and ask for them for gifts. However, I do notice a difference in how well things cook, and how much fun it is to cook in them. The heat diffuses more evenly so there fewer hot spots resulting in a better overall product. However, I know a lot of people who wouldn't notice a difference. (Just like I don't notice a significant difference in pencils, but I have friends who do). > > I have an all clad pot, the aluminum in it is " layered " under the pot for more even diffusing of heat. The aluminum never touches the food. It works well, very well, in fact, but I will replace it with demeyere when I can. I read an article in cooks magazine and was surprised that demeyere didn't rate first since I notice a big difference when I cook with it. I believe they rated all clad as best pick. > > Also, once I bought a calphalon pan super cheap from amazon ($19 for a $200 pan). It cooks better than what I had, but not nearly as good as the calphalon bought from Sonoma. So, just an FYI to beware of knock offs. > > My rambling 2 cents. > > (I just noticed... My iPad touchscreen keyboard doesn't have a cents symbol! What's up with that?!?)> > Have fun picking out new pots and pans! > > Aloha,> mirthfullady > > >>> >>> I really don't know if this is the proper way to ask a question or if it is even related to the vitamix concepts. However, I decided to make bone broth to add to the soups I make in my vitamix. In my ignorance of materials for cooking, I made the broth in my speckled " cheap " huge pot. Really the only " big " pot I have at the moment. I am in the process of buying a stainless steel stock pot, but was anxious to get started. Then I read on Dr. Mercola's site that the speckled cookware leeches A LOT of aluminum in the cooking process, more than aluminum cookware. Needless to say, I just threw out the broth. Now I am in the process of buying a whole new set of stainless steel cookware....but confusion is abound. I looked at All Clad (I think that's the name) but read varying reviews of this cookware...it is a bit pricey...but worth it if it is truly safe to cook with. However, most of the stainless steel cookware is layered with aluminum. Is this still safe?>>> My question: Does anyone know of a truly safe and well made stainless steel cookware?>>> Thank you all so much for your help!!!>>> L.>>> >> > > > > > ------------------------------------> > Please bookmark these pages:> > /links/ > (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)> > /links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!

Guest guest

I love my cast iron skillets, but they are NOT non-stick!

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Mar 27, 2012, at 3:56 PM, Terry Pogue wrote:

I have a friend that swears by her Lodge fry pans. She's had them forever. She now has mine. Too heavy for me. I can handle the All Clad except the larger Roasting pan and I call my husband to lift that into and out of the oven. Even this small Lodge I bought was too heavy for me to use at the cooktop, if I used one I ended up in pain.

Terry

Sent from my iPadHD

On Mar 27, 2012, at 2:31 PM, "mirthfullady" <mirthfullady@...> wrote:

> Aloha,

>

>

> My favorite pots and pans are calphalon, and demeyere, and denby is my favorite bakeware. [ I was told years ago by my midwife when I was pregnant, that I also needed to have a cast iron pan. One, at least. "If you cook with it once a week, you'll never be anemic again." I do, and haven't been. And it's not expensive. I have lodge brand.]

>

> Anyway, Yes, good cookware costs a lot, so I buy one piece at a time and ask for them for gifts. However, I do notice a difference in how well things cook, and how much fun it is to cook in them. The heat diffuses more evenly so there fewer hot spots resulting in a better overall product. However, I know a lot of people who wouldn't notice a difference. (Just like I don't notice a significant difference in pencils, but I have friends who do).

>

> I have an all clad pot, the aluminum in it is "layered" under the pot for more even diffusing of heat. The aluminum never touches the food. It works well, very well, in fact, but I will replace it with demeyere when I can. I read an article in cooks magazine and was surprised that demeyere didn't rate first since I notice a big difference when I cook with it. I believe they rated all clad as best pick.

>

> Also, once I bought a calphalon pan super cheap from amazon ($19 for a $200 pan). It cooks better than what I had, but not nearly as good as the calphalon bought from Sonoma. So, just an FYI to beware of knock offs.

>

> My rambling 2 cents.

>

> (I just noticed... My iPad touchscreen keyboard doesn't have a cents symbol! What's up with that?!?)

>

>

> Aloha,

> mirthfullady

>

>

>>>

>>> I really don't know if this is the proper way to ask a question or if it is even related to the vitamix concepts. However, I decided to make bone broth to add to the soups I make in my vitamix. In my ignorance of materials for cooking, I made the broth in my speckled "cheap" huge pot. Really the only "big" pot I have at the moment. I am in the process of buying a stainless steel stock pot, but was anxious to get started. Then I read on Dr. Mercola's site that the speckled cookware leeches A LOT of aluminum in the cooking process, more than aluminum cookware. Needless to say, I just threw out the broth. Now I am in the process of buying a whole new set of stainless steel cookware....but confusion is abound. I looked at All Clad (I think that's the name) but read varying reviews of this cookware...it is a bit pricey...but worth it if it is truly safe to cook with. However, most of the stainless steel cookware is layered with aluminum. Is this still safe?

>>> My question: Does anyone know of a truly safe and well made stainless steel cookware?

>>> L.

>>>

>>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> /links/

> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)

>

> /links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/

> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!

Guest guest

My friend says hers are if kept oiled and seasoned enough. And she never washes with detergent or soap. When I got mine she told me if I washed it id have to reseason. Sent from my iPadHDOn Mar 27, 2012, at 5:16 PM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

I have a friend that swears by her Lodge fry pans. She's had them forever. She now has mine. Too heavy for me. I can handle the All Clad except the larger Roasting pan and I call my husband to lift that into and out of the oven. Even this small Lodge I bought was too heavy for me to use at the cooktop, if I used one I ended up in pain.

Terry

Sent from my iPadHD

> Aloha,

>

>

> My favorite pots and pans are calphalon, and demeyere, and denby is my favorite bakeware. [ I was told years ago by my midwife when I was pregnant, that I also needed to have a cast iron pan. One, at least. "If you cook with it once a week, you'll never be anemic again." I do, and haven't been. And it's not expensive. I have lodge brand.]

>

> Anyway, Yes, good cookware costs a lot, so I buy one piece at a time and ask for them for gifts. However, I do notice a difference in how well things cook, and how much fun it is to cook in them. The heat diffuses more evenly so there fewer hot spots resulting in a better overall product. However, I know a lot of people who wouldn't notice a difference. (Just like I don't notice a significant difference in pencils, but I have friends who do).

>

> I have an all clad pot, the aluminum in it is "layered" under the pot for more even diffusing of heat. The aluminum never touches the food. It works well, very well, in fact, but I will replace it with demeyere when I can. I read an article in cooks magazine and was surprised that demeyere didn't rate first since I notice a big difference when I cook with it. I believe they rated all clad as best pick.

>

> Also, once I bought a calphalon pan super cheap from amazon ($19 for a $200 pan). It cooks better than what I had, but not nearly as good as the calphalon bought from Sonoma. So, just an FYI to beware of knock offs.

>

> My rambling 2 cents.

>

> (I just noticed... My iPad touchscreen keyboard doesn't have a cents symbol! What's up with that?!?)

>

>

> Aloha,

> mirthfullady

>

>

>>>

>>> I really don't know if this is the proper way to ask a question or if it is even related to the vitamix concepts. However, I decided to make bone broth to add to the soups I make in my vitamix. In my ignorance of materials for cooking, I made the broth in my speckled "cheap" huge pot. Really the only "big" pot I have at the moment. I am in the process of buying a stainless steel stock pot, but was anxious to get started. Then I read on Dr. Mercola's site that the speckled cookware leeches A LOT of aluminum in the cooking process, more than aluminum cookware. Needless to say, I just threw out the broth. Now I am in the process of buying a whole new set of stainless steel cookware....but confusion is abound. I looked at All Clad (I think that's the name) but read varying reviews of this cookware...it is a bit pricey...but worth it if it is truly safe to cook with. However, most of the stainless steel cookware is layered with aluminum. Is this still safe?

>>> My question: Does anyone know of a truly safe and well made stainless steel cookware?

>>> L.

>>>

>>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> /links/

> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)

>

> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!

Guest guest

One problem most people have with non coated pans is they try to turn things too fast. The foods in stainless steel or cast iron for that matter will " release " naturally once they have cooked enough. I find a gentle shake is enough to turn an item without sticking. The fawn that remains is also great stuff for making a pan sauce. I only use nonstick pans for pancakes or over easy eggs. Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Lea Ann SavageSent: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 5:16 PM Subject: Re: Confused About Cookware...Help! I love my cast iron skillets, but they are NOT non-stick! Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))>< On Mar 27, 2012, at 3:56 PM, Terry Pogue wrote: I have a friend that swears by her Lodge fry pans. She's had them forever. She now has mine. Too heavy for me. I can handle the All Clad except the larger Roasting pan and I call my husband to lift that into and out of the oven. Even this small Lodge I bought was too heavy for me to use at the cooktop, if I used one I ended up in pain.TerrySent from my iPadHDOn Mar 27, 2012, at 2:31 PM, " mirthfullady " <mirthfullady@...> wrote:> Aloha,> > Ahh cookware.... :) It's so expensive! > > My favorite pots and pans are calphalon, and demeyere, and denby is my favorite bakeware. [ I was told years ago by my midwife when I was pregnant, that I also needed to have a cast iron pan. One, at least. " If you cook with it once a week, you'll never be anemic again. " I do, and haven't been. And it's not expensive. I have lodge brand.] > > Anyway, Yes, good cookware costs a lot, so I buy one piece at a time and ask for them for gifts. However, I do notice a difference in how well things cook, and how much fun it is to cook in them. The heat diffuses more evenly so there fewer hot spots resulting in a better overall product. However, I know a lot of people who wouldn't notice a difference. (Just like I don't notice a significant difference in pencils, but I have friends who do). > > I have an all clad pot, the aluminum in it is " layered " under the pot for more even diffusing of heat. The aluminum never touches the food. It works well, very well, in fact, but I will replace it with demeyere when I can. I read an article in cooks magazine and was surprised that demeyere didn't rate first since I notice a big difference when I cook with it. I believe they rated all clad as best pick. > > Also, once I bought a calphalon pan super cheap from amazon ($19 for a $200 pan). It cooks better than what I had, but not nearly as good as the calphalon bought from Sonoma. So, just an FYI to beware of knock offs. > > My rambling 2 cents. > > (I just noticed... My iPad touchscreen keyboard doesn't have a cents symbol! What's up with that?!?)> > Have fun picking out new pots and pans! > > Aloha,> mirthfullady > > >>> >>> I really don't know if this is the proper way to ask a question or if it is even related to the vitamix concepts. However, I decided to make bone broth to add to the soups I make in my vitamix. In my ignorance of materials for cooking, I made the broth in my speckled " cheap " huge pot. Really the only " big " pot I have at the moment. I am in the process of buying a stainless steel stock pot, but was anxious to get started. Then I read on Dr. Mercola's site that the speckled cookware leeches A LOT of aluminum in the cooking process, more than aluminum cookware. Needless to say, I just threw out the broth. Now I am in the process of buying a whole new set of stainless steel cookware....but confusion is abound. I looked at All Clad (I think that's the name) but read varying reviews of this cookware...it is a bit pricey...but worth it if it is truly safe to cook with. However, most of the stainless steel cookware is layered with aluminum. Is this still safe?>>> My question: Does anyone know of a truly safe and well made stainless steel cookware?>>> Thank you all so much for your help!!!>>> L.>>> >> > > > > > ------------------------------------> > Please bookmark these pages:> > /links/ > (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)> > /links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!

Guest guest

I keep mine oiled and seasoned and NEVER use soap on them (and rarely even wash them). Most of the time I only have to use a paper towel to wipe them out.If they get sticky, I add oil to the pan and heat it up - the oil and heat allow me to quickly scrape whatever was sticking off of the bottom of the pan. I then let the oil and crud cool, then later wipe it all out with a paper towel. This maintains the seasoning and cleans the pan at the same time.I can cook eggs and pancakes with no problem in my cast iron skillets, (as long as there is plenty of oil or butter) but ground beef sticks horribly every time…

On Mar 27, 2012, at 6:04 PM, Terry Pogue wrote:

My friend says hers are if kept oiled and seasoned enough. And she never washes with detergent or soap. When I got mine she told me if I washed it id have to reseason. Sent from my iPadHDOn Mar 27, 2012, at 5:16 PM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

Terry

Sent from my iPadHD

> Aloha,

>

>

>

>

>

>

> My rambling 2 cents.

>

>

>

> Aloha,

> mirthfullady

>

>

>>>

>>> L.

>>>

>>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> /links/

>

Guest guest

I've read about alot of different pots and pans over the last few days-but nary a word about gas vs.c electric-gas allows us to get closer to the correct heat for the different types of food to be cooked. Austin

From: Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> Sent: Tue, March 27, 2012 6:30:04 PMSubject: Re: Confused About Cookware...Help!

I keep mine oiled and seasoned and NEVER use soap on them (and rarely even wash them). Most of the time I only have to use a paper towel to wipe them out.

If they get sticky, I add oil to the pan and heat it up - the oil and heat allow me to quickly scrape whatever was sticking off of the bottom of the pan. I then let the oil and crud cool, then later wipe it all out with a paper towel. This maintains the seasoning and cleans the pan at the same time.

I can cook eggs and pancakes with no problem in my cast iron skillets, (as long as there is plenty of oil or butter) but ground beef sticks horribly every time…

On Mar 27, 2012, at 6:04 PM, Terry Pogue wrote:

My friend says hers are if kept oiled and seasoned enough. And she never washes with detergent or soap. When I got mine she told me if I washed it id have to reseason. Sent from my iPadHD

On Mar 27, 2012, at 5:16 PM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

I have a friend that swears by her Lodge fry pans. She's had them forever. She now has mine. Too heavy for me. I can handle the All Clad except the larger Roasting pan and I call my husband to lift that into and out of the oven. Even this small Lodge I bought was too heavy for me to use at the cooktop, if I used one I ended up in pain.TerrySent from my iPadHDOn Mar 27, 2012, at 2:31 PM, "mirthfullady" <mirthfullady@...> wrote:> Aloha,> > Ahh cookware.... :) It's so expensive! > > My favorite pots and pans are calphalon, and demeyere, and denby is my favorite bakeware. [ I was told years ago by my midwife when I was pregnant, that I also needed to have a cast iron pan. One, at least. "If you cook with it once a week, you'll never be anemic again." I do, and haven't

been. And it's not expensive. I have lodge brand.] > > Anyway, Yes, good cookware costs a lot, so I buy one piece at a time and ask for them for gifts. However, I do notice a difference in how well things cook, and how much fun it is to cook in them. The heat diffuses more evenly so there fewer hot spots resulting in a better overall product. However, I know a lot of people who wouldn't notice a difference. (Just like I don't notice a significant difference in pencils, but I have friends who do). > > I have an all clad pot, the aluminum in it is "layered" under the pot for more even diffusing of heat. The aluminum never touches the food. It works well, very well, in fact, but I will replace it with demeyere when I can. I read an article in cooks magazine and was surprised that demeyere didn't rate first since I notice a big difference when I cook with it. I believe they rated all clad as best pick. > > Also,

once I bought a calphalon pan super cheap from amazon ($19 for a $200 pan). It cooks better than what I had, but not nearly as good as the calphalon bought from Sonoma. So, just an FYI to beware of knock offs. > > My rambling 2 cents. > > (I just noticed... My iPad touchscreen keyboard doesn't have a cents symbol! What's up with that?!?)> > Have fun picking out new pots and pans! > > Aloha,> mirthfullady > > >>> >>> I really don't know if this is the proper way to ask a question or if it is even related to the vitamix concepts. However, I decided to make bone broth to add to the soups I make in my vitamix. In my ignorance of materials for cooking, I made the broth in my speckled "cheap" huge pot. Really the only "big" pot I have at the moment. I am in the process of buying a stainless steel stock pot, but was anxious to get started. Then I read on Dr. Mercola's site that the speckled cookware leeches A LOT of aluminum in the cooking process, more than aluminum cookware. Needless to say, I just threw out the broth. Now I am in the process of buying a whole new set of stainless steel cookware....but confusion is abound. I looked at All Clad (I think that's the name) but read varying reviews of this cookware...it is a bit pricey...but worth it if it is truly safe to cook with. However, most of the stainless steel cookware is

layered with aluminum. Is this still safe?>>> My question: Does anyone know of a truly safe and well made stainless steel cookware?>>> Thank you all so much for your help!!!>>> L.>>> >> > > > > > ------------------------------------> > Please bookmark these pages:> > /links/ > (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)> > /links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!

Guest guest

Anyone had experience with ceramic cookware? I use mostly cast iron, some stainless steel and I have one All-Clad saucepan that I love. I never use soap on my cast iron and it is like a non-stick pan. But I’ve wondered about the ceramic since Dr. Mercola recommends it and, I believe, sells it on his site. Find Sylvana Vintage Designs @ http://www.sylvanavintagedesign.etsy.com and https://www.facebook.com/SylvanaVintageDesignsEnjoy my blog, Romancing the Everyday, @ http://www.sylvanavintagedesigns.wordpress.com.My latest book, The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Beading Basics, is now available at amazon.com and your local & Noble bookstore.

Guest guest

I will challenge my cast iron to any non stick on the market. Once it's cured it's the best non stick out there. My fry pan I cook my breakfast in every day is from the 1870's. fried eggs slide out of it perfectly, I don't even need to touch them.

Remember never use soap, just a water rinse and a scrub with a bamboo scrubber, apply a thin coat of oil now and then. that's it. I've used this pan now for 40 years, all my cast iron is very cured and wonderful.

Guest guest

I think cast iron is great-the older and more seasoned, the better. Sadly, I

have a condition (part of lupus) where my iron is too high, so I can't use iron

cookware-but if I could, that would be my first choice. I used to have a lovely

set, but I gave it up when I was so crippled that I couldn't lift it! Heavy,

but wonderful!

> >>>

> >>> I really don't know if this is the proper way to ask a question or if it

> is even related to the vitamix concepts. However, I decided to make bone

> broth to add to the soups I make in my vitamix. In my ignorance of materials

> for cooking, I made the broth in my speckled " cheap " huge pot. Really the

> only " big " pot I have at the moment. I am in the process of buying a

> stainless steel stock pot, but was anxious to get started. Then I read on

> Dr. Mercola's site that the speckled cookware leeches A LOT of aluminum in

> the cooking process, more than aluminum cookware. Needless to say, I just

> threw out the broth. Now I am in the process of buying a whole new set of

> stainless steel cookware....but confusion is abound. I looked at All Clad (I

> think that's the name) but read varying reviews of this cookware...it is a

> bit pricey...but worth it if it is truly safe to cook with. However, most of

> the stainless steel cookware is layered with aluminum. Is this still safe?

> >>> My question: Does anyone know of a truly safe and well made stainless

> steel cookware?

> >>> Thank you all so much for your help!!!

> >>> L.

> >>>

> >>

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > ------------------------------------

> >

> > Please bookmark these pages:

> >

> > /links/

> > (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers,

> Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being

> added to)

> >

> >

> /links/IMPORTANT_Vita

> mixEnthusiasts_Membership__001327149393/

> > PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you

> unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of

> Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from

> coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links

> page and read messages online!

Guest guest

aloha,

Yes, seasoning the pans is super important. I just recently picked up a good

tip, though, about scraping. I used to boil out a mess with water, then scrape,

dump, oil and it's good to go. However, I recently was told to use big grains

of salt to scrub. It works great and much quicker. Yes, I re-oil after most

uses, but not all anymore. It's a great time saver.

I don't eat meat, but the non-stickness is greatly improved if you warm the pan

before cooking in it. You should be able to feel heat rising off the pan when

your hand is a couple of inches away from the pan then it's hot enough. For

eggs, I use my calphalon pan. :)

Aloha,

mirthfullady

> >

> > > Aloha,

> > >

> > > Ahh cookware.... :) It's so expensive!

> > >

> > > My favorite pots and pans are calphalon, and demeyere, and denby is my

once a week, you'll never be anemic again. " I do, and haven't been. And it's not

expensive. I have lodge brand.]

> > >

> > >

Guest guest

Aloha,

I prefer gas, too. Much better temperature control. :)

Electric is easier to keep clean, though.

Aloha,

mirthfullady

> >

> > 

> >I have a friend that swears by her Lodge fry pans. She's had them forever.

She

> >now has mine. Too heavy for me. I can handle the All Clad except the larger

> >Roasting pan and I call my husband to lift that into and out of the oven.

Even

> >this small Lodge I bought was too heavy for me to use at the cooktop, if I

used

> >one I ended up in pain.

> >

> >Terry

> >

> >