RemedySpot.com

Re: Bacon - was - Healthy add-ins for mac and cheese?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Where do you find the nitrate/nitrite free bacon?Thanks, TrishSent from my iPadOn Mar 17, 2012, at 5:02 AM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

I use one strip of nitrate/nitrite-free bacon in my Kale and Collard Soups - YUM! (this is on topic, because my soups use the Vitamix :-) And you are so right , to get all of the minerals out of the delicious greens, it is important to add fat!This part is Off Topic… Ever since I've switched to a more "Primal" (Paleo/GAPS/Nourishing Traditions/etc.) diet, my thyroid issues have improved. I recently made Lea Ann's version of this recipe: http://balancedbites.com/2012/01/easy-recipe-bacon-wrapped-smoky-chicken-thighs.html (bacon wrapped chicken thighs) and surprisingly my whole family loved it! (this is really surprising, because they are HARD to feed).Being the lazy person that I am (lazy in the kitchen that is :-) in order to keep meat on hand for many meals, I have been cooking large batches of Grass Fed and Finished Beef and storing in the fridge to be re-heated for fast meals (I am quite satisfied with just a ramekin full of re-heated ground beef). But always having ground beef as my "go to protein" source doesn't seem balanced, so I had a light-bulb-above-the-head moment. I really liked the taste of the bacon wrapped chicken, and ground chicken is too bland and fat-less for my liking, so I took a package of nitrate/nitrite-free bacon and a package of "organic" (I never really trust the labels in a grocery store, but it is what I can work with for now…) chicken breasts to my grocer and asked him to grind them together for me. He'd never done anything like that, but was game to try it..., it is DELICOUS! Now I have an alternative "go-to" fast protein source.Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Mar 16, 2012, at 10:11 PM, hai quan wrote:

Love bacon and it does have some nutrients. It is not totally unhealthy!58% of adult daily vitamin B3, 22% of B12, 31% of B1, 24% of zinc, and a whopping 93% of selenium, 36. 3 grams of protein - all in about 1.25 cups of chopped pieces. And cholesterol is needed and necessary, just not too much. Must have fat for all of those fat soluble vitamins. Just think how much easier all those veggies go down with bacon stirred in...how many other reasons can I think of to eat bacon? haha

Thanks,My Favorite Video for My Little One!

On Mar 16, 2012, at 7:39 PM, Tony Szpara wrote:

Bacon.

Oh wait you said healthy. Nevermind.

Tony

=

Guest guest

Whole Foods. I buy a much as my meat as possible from local farmers. I have one that is about 2 hours away that keeps elk and bison as well as beef, etc. Getting some next month! But, still buy at whole foods for what I can't find direct.

On Mar 18, 2012, at 4:41 PM, Trisha wrote:

Where do you find the nitrate/nitrite free bacon?Thanks, TrishSent from my iPadOn Mar 17, 2012, at 5:02 AM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

I use one strip of nitrate/nitrite-free bacon in my Kale and Collard Soups - YUM! (this is on topic, because my soups use the Vitamix :-) And you are so right , to get all of the minerals out of the delicious greens, it is important to add fat!This part is Off Topic… Ever since I've switched to a more "Primal" (Paleo/GAPS/Nourishing Traditions/etc.) diet, my thyroid issues have improved. I recently made Lea Ann's version of this recipe: http://balancedbites.com/2012/01/easy-recipe-bacon-wrapped-smoky-chicken-thighs.html (bacon wrapped chicken thighs) and surprisingly my whole family loved it! (this is really surprising, because they are HARD to feed).Being the lazy person that I am (lazy in the kitchen that is :-) in order to keep meat on hand for many meals, I have been cooking large batches of Grass Fed and Finished Beef and storing in the fridge to be re-heated for fast meals (I am quite satisfied with just a ramekin full of re-heated ground beef). But always having ground beef as my "go to protein" source doesn't seem balanced, so I had a light-bulb-above-the-head moment. I really liked the taste of the bacon wrapped chicken, and ground chicken is too bland and fat-less for my liking, so I took a package of nitrate/nitrite-free bacon and a package of "organic" (I never really trust the labels in a grocery store, but it is what I can work with for now…) chicken breasts to my grocer and asked him to grind them together for me. He'd never done anything like that, but was game to try it..., it is DELICOUS! Now I have an alternative "go-to" fast protein source.Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

Love bacon and it does have some nutrients. It is not totally unhealthy!58% of adult daily vitamin B3, 22% of B12, 31% of B1, 24% of zinc, and a whopping 93% of selenium, 36. 3 grams of protein - all in about 1.25 cups of chopped pieces. And cholesterol is needed and necessary, just not too much. Must have fat for all of those fat soluble vitamins. Just think how much easier all those veggies go down with bacon stirred in...how many other reasons can I think of to eat bacon? haha

Bacon.

Tony

=

Guest guest

It is in my grocery store - look for "uncured" bacon. Applegate Farms is a common brand of nitrate/nitrite free processed meats. If it is nitrite/nitrate free, they are proud of it, and it will be clearly marked on the package...

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Mar 18, 2012, at 5:41 PM, Trisha wrote:

Bacon.

Tony

=

Guest guest

Thanks, I've been looking for it for awhile. I guess its just not in my area yet. I have found the wieners, but no bacon yet. Sent from my iPadOn Mar 18, 2012, at 8:33 PM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

It is in my grocery store - look for "uncured" bacon. Applegate Farms is a common brand of nitrate/nitrite free processed meats. If it is nitrite/nitrate free, they are proud of it, and it will be clearly marked on the package...

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Mar 18, 2012, at 5:41 PM, Trisha wrote:

Bacon.

Tony

=

Guest guest

Hi . I wish I had a whole foods in my area. Not much like that at all around here. At least the stores are starting to carry more good stuff, like my organic coconut oil. I still have to order alot of things from amazon. Even though I get a good price, I have to wait a little for it. I prefer to see and touch before I buy.

Anyway, thanks for your reply!

Trish

Bacon.Oh wait you said healthy. Nevermind.Tony

=

Guest guest

Thanks, one of the places is just a few blocks from me, and I didn't know it!Ginny From: p15u7 <wendiegvp@...> Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:46 PM Subject: Re: Bacon - was - Healthy add-ins for mac and cheese?

Here is a site for local, grassfed meats: http://www.eatwild.com/products/index.html

We've had luck finding our meat from this site when living in several different states.

~Wendie

>

>

> Â

>

> Bacon.

> Oh wait you said healthy. Nevermind.

>

> Tony

>

>

>