RemedySpot.com

Re: Disappointed in my green smoothies

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Have you tried this one:http://vitamixlady.com/recipes/#Emerald%20Ecstasy

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Mar 24, 2012, at 7:43 AM, chele519 wrote:

I've had my machine for a few weeks now and I'm sad to say that the only thing I've made out of it that I liked was the tortilla soup. I made the zucchini soup in the book but will be throwing that out. I've made a few greens smoothies and although the texture is much better than my old blender, I can't seem to get the quantities right to get one that tastes good. I don't want to add sweetener and I stopped using my vanilla whey protein in favor of a vegetarian pea protein powder but I haven't used that in the smoothie because I can taste it. My old smoothie was usually just banana, a mix of spinach/kale, a little milk, water, and whey left over from draining my yogurt.

I used the oat milk that I made from the blend it and mend it site but don't like it. I'm going to try rice milk today. I don't use ice in my smoothies because all my fruit is frozen so I've been using about 1/4 cup of the milk to use it up and the rest water. I've tried one with spinach, banana, small amounts of grapes, pears, orange, and pineapple. Yesterday I made one with strawberries and bananas and I could barely drink it. I think I had too many strawberries, it was very tart.

I can't believe the protein powder would have made that much of a difference but I'll try adding a little vanilla today and see if that helps. I tried the recipe on page 30 of the book which is the one used at the demo but of course he added agave which I don't want to do. I cut all the ingredients in half, except the apple since I didn't want half an apple left over to turn brown. It came out nothing like the one at the demo.

I'm getting a book next week but in the meantime does anyone have a suggestion for something simple I can try this weekend to make a smoothie I will actually like?

Michele

Guest guest

It's pretty close to what I made except I used the whole apple and a smaller

amount of pineapple. I'll try it again with a little more pineapple.

>

> I've had my machine for a few weeks now and I'm sad to say that the only thing

I've made out of it that I liked was the tortilla soup. I made the zucchini soup

in the book but will be throwing that out. I've made a few greens smoothies and

although the texture is much better than my old blender, I can't seem to get the

quantities right to get one that tastes good. I don't want to add sweetener and

I stopped using my vanilla whey protein in favor of a vegetarian pea protein

powder but I haven't used that in the smoothie because I can taste it. My old

smoothie was usually just banana, a mix of spinach/kale, a little milk, water,

and whey left over from draining my yogurt.

>

> I used the oat milk that I made from the blend it and mend it site but don't

like it. I'm going to try rice milk today. I don't use ice in my smoothies

because all my fruit is frozen so I've been using about 1/4 cup of the milk to

use it up and the rest water. I've tried one with spinach, banana, small amounts

of grapes, pears, orange, and pineapple. Yesterday I made one with strawberries

and bananas and I could barely drink it. I think I had too many strawberries, it

was very tart.

>

> I can't believe the protein powder would have made that much of a difference

but I'll try adding a little vanilla today and see if that helps. I tried the

recipe on page 30 of the book which is the one used at the demo but of course he

added agave which I don't want to do. I cut all the ingredients in half, except

the apple since I didn't want half an apple left over to turn brown. It came out

nothing like the one at the demo.

>

> I'm getting a book next week but in the meantime does anyone have a suggestion

for something simple I can try this weekend to make a smoothie I will actually

like?

> Michele

>

Guest guest

I only use a quarter of an apple now. The final product gets too "applesaucy" :-) for my taste (texture preference).What are you not liking? Taste or texture?

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Mar 24, 2012, at 8:22 AM, chele519 wrote:

It's pretty close to what I made except I used the whole apple and a smaller amount of pineapple. I'll try it again with a little more pineapple.

>

> I've had my machine for a few weeks now and I'm sad to say that the only thing I've made out of it that I liked was the tortilla soup. I made the zucchini soup in the book but will be throwing that out. I've made a few greens smoothies and although the texture is much better than my old blender, I can't seem to get the quantities right to get one that tastes good. I don't want to add sweetener and I stopped using my vanilla whey protein in favor of a vegetarian pea protein powder but I haven't used that in the smoothie because I can taste it. My old smoothie was usually just banana, a mix of spinach/kale, a little milk, water, and whey left over from draining my yogurt.

>

> I used the oat milk that I made from the blend it and mend it site but don't like it. I'm going to try rice milk today. I don't use ice in my smoothies because all my fruit is frozen so I've been using about 1/4 cup of the milk to use it up and the rest water. I've tried one with spinach, banana, small amounts of grapes, pears, orange, and pineapple. Yesterday I made one with strawberries and bananas and I could barely drink it. I think I had too many strawberries, it was very tart.

>

> I can't believe the protein powder would have made that much of a difference but I'll try adding a little vanilla today and see if that helps. I tried the recipe on page 30 of the book which is the one used at the demo but of course he added agave which I don't want to do. I cut all the ingredients in half, except the apple since I didn't want half an apple left over to turn brown. It came out nothing like the one at the demo.

>

> I'm getting a book next week but in the meantime does anyone have a suggestion for something simple I can try this weekend to make a smoothie I will actually like?

> Michele

>

Guest guest

The texture is great, it's the taste. The one with the strawberries, banana, and

spinach was so sour and tart but I think I had too many strawberries in there.

The one where I used the whole apple seemed to be really bland, almost like the

apple drowned out the other flavors. I'm going to try using less apple and

putting the rest in lemon juice so it won't brown. I usually have an apple later

in the day with peanut butter so it doesn't have to last long.

I made another one this morning with 1 banana, about 4 chunks of pineapple, 2

strawberries and spinach. It's better, but I could have used a little less

pineapple. I did add a little less than 1/8 tsp vanilla too. I might just go

with 2 bananas, 2 strawberries and some spinach next. Once I find a blend I

really like, then I can start playing around with it. I'm assuming that my

protein powder probably had more sugar in it than I realized and I'll have to

get used to it.

I recently stopped using my beloved french vanilla coffee creamer and just

putting a tiny bit of skim milk to reduce the amount of sugar in my coffee also

so I'm making a lot of changes to adjust to.

> >

> > I've had my machine for a few weeks now and I'm sad to say that the only

thing I've made out of it that I liked was the tortilla soup. I made the

zucchini soup in the book but will be throwing that out. I've made a few greens

smoothies and although the texture is much better than my old blender, I can't

seem to get the quantities right to get one that tastes good. I don't want to

add sweetener and I stopped using my vanilla whey protein in favor of a

vegetarian pea protein powder but I haven't used that in the smoothie because I

can taste it. My old smoothie was usually just banana, a mix of spinach/kale, a

little milk, water, and whey left over from draining my yogurt.

> >

> > I used the oat milk that I made from the blend it and mend it site but don't

use it up and the rest water. I've tried one with spinach, banana, small amounts

and bananas and I could barely drink it. I think I had too many strawberries, it

was very tart.

> >

> > I can't believe the protein powder would have made that much of a difference

recipe on page 30 of the book which is the one used at the demo but of course he

the apple since I didn't want half an apple left over to turn brown. It came out

> >

> > I'm getting a book next week but in the meantime does anyone have a

suggestion for something simple I can try this weekend to make a smoothie I will

actually like?

> > Michele

> >

>

Guest guest

Here's a suggestion - I make this for my kids and they love it...1 frozen banana3-5 frozen strawberries (depending on size)Handful of spinach (use as much or as little as feels right to you - maybe start with a smaller amount and build to a larger amount as your taste buds adjust?)And orange juice to get it to the consistency that you like. The orange juice is the key ingredient (as far as my kids are concerned;). FrannySent from my iPhoneOn Mar 24, 2012, at 10:34 AM, "chele519" <chele519@...> wrote:

The texture is great, it's the taste. The one with the strawberries, banana, and spinach was so sour and tart but I think I had too many strawberries in there. The one where I used the whole apple seemed to be really bland, almost like the apple drowned out the other flavors. I'm going to try using less apple and putting the rest in lemon juice so it won't brown. I usually have an apple later in the day with peanut butter so it doesn't have to last long.

I made another one this morning with 1 banana, about 4 chunks of pineapple, 2 strawberries and spinach. It's better, but I could have used a little less pineapple. I did add a little less than 1/8 tsp vanilla too. I might just go with 2 bananas, 2 strawberries and some spinach next. Once I find a blend I really like, then I can start playing around with it. I'm assuming that my protein powder probably had more sugar in it than I realized and I'll have to get used to it.

I recently stopped using my beloved french vanilla coffee creamer and just putting a tiny bit of skim milk to reduce the amount of sugar in my coffee also so I'm making a lot of changes to adjust to.

> >

> > I've had my machine for a few weeks now and I'm sad to say that the only thing I've made out of it that I liked was the tortilla soup. I made the zucchini soup in the book but will be throwing that out. I've made a few greens smoothies and although the texture is much better than my old blender, I can't seem to get the quantities right to get one that tastes good. I don't want to add sweetener and I stopped using my vanilla whey protein in favor of a vegetarian pea protein powder but I haven't used that in the smoothie because I can taste it. My old smoothie was usually just banana, a mix of spinach/kale, a little milk, water, and whey left over from draining my yogurt.

> >

> > I used the oat milk that I made from the blend it and mend it site but don't like it. I'm going to try rice milk today. I don't use ice in my smoothies because all my fruit is frozen so I've been using about 1/4 cup of the milk to use it up and the rest water. I've tried one with spinach, banana, small amounts of grapes, pears, orange, and pineapple. Yesterday I made one with strawberries and bananas and I could barely drink it. I think I had too many strawberries, it was very tart.

> >

> > I can't believe the protein powder would have made that much of a difference but I'll try adding a little vanilla today and see if that helps. I tried the recipe on page 30 of the book which is the one used at the demo but of course he added agave which I don't want to do. I cut all the ingredients in half, except the apple since I didn't want half an apple left over to turn brown. It came out nothing like the one at the demo.

> >

> > I'm getting a book next week but in the meantime does anyone have a suggestion for something simple I can try this weekend to make a smoothie I will actually like?

> > Michele

> >

>

Guest guest

As a fellow newbie to all this, I've hit some stumbling blocks and made a few duds too, so here's a bit of info that's helped me:Lea Ann's tips on ratios and fruit/veggies:http://vitamixlady.com/green-smoothies/ Guidelines for green smoothieshttp://greensmoothiesblog.com/guidelines-green-smoothies/ How to make a green smoothie tasty every timeshttp://greensmoothiesblog.com/how-to-make-a-green-smoothie-tips/ 15 Green Smoothies in 3 minutes:http://www.rawfamily.com/films/15-green-smoothies-in-3-minutes For my newbie taste buds you aren't using enough fruit, and sweet fruit at that (example I love cantaloupe but haven't hit the right combo with it yet because it's a milder flavor) . Also, to start I've found keeping it simple and not adding too many things is helping to hone my tastes to see what works for me. I don't add any protein powers/etc because I read you get protein from greens and it's easier on the stomach. I'd learn what tastes good to you then build in additions to see what works for you.A favorite combo is 6-7 chunks? pineapple, 1 yellow mango, 1 banana, 1-2 small handfuls of spinach (at first I used giant wad handfuls and it was too much), ice.I've sub'ed 2 tangelos/navel oranges for either the pineapple or mango in this comb. Also, I made the mistake of using kale in the same amounts as spinach - yuck no, at least right now. Just a few leaves works better for me at the moment. I'm now adding chia seeds (you can't taste them) but don't let it set or the smoothie gets pretty thick.I am using fresh and organic whenever possible.Right now the yellow mangos are on sale and super tastyTangelos are on sale; ditto navel orangesI broke down and bought the big container of cut pineapple at Whole Foods while waiting for a whole one to ripen. It turned out to be cost effective because I got 4-5 smoothies out of that so turned in to a good deal.I've tried strawberries but I'm waiting for them to come in season at better prices (organic) so I can use enough of them to give me a strong flavor.I just picked up "Green for Life" at the library yesterday per Lea Ann's recommendation (same person/family of the other links above) to learn more.Anyhoo, this is just some things I've learned so far, hope it helps.:)> > > > > > I've had my machine for a few weeks now and I'm sad to say that the only thing I've made out of it that I liked was the tortilla soup. I made the zucchini soup in the book but will be throwing that out. I've made a few greens smoothies and although the texture is much better than my old blender, I can't seem to get the quantities right to get one that tastes good. I don't want to add sweetener and I stopped using my vanilla whey protein in favor of a vegetarian pea protein powder but I haven't used that in the smoothie because I can taste it. My old smoothie was usually just banana, a mix of spinach/kale, a little milk, water, and whey left over from draining my yogurt. > > > > > > I used the oat milk that I made from the blend it and mend it site but don't like it. I'm going to try rice milk today. I don't use ice in my smoothies because all my fruit is frozen so I've been using about 1/4 cup of the milk to use it up and the rest water. I've tried one with spinach, banana, small amounts of grapes, pears, orange, and pineapple. Yesterday I made one with strawberries and bananas and I could barely drink it. I think I had too many strawberries, it was very tart. > > > > > > I can't believe the protein powder would have made that much of a difference but I'll try adding a little vanilla today and see if that helps. I tried the recipe on page 30 of the book which is the one used at the demo but of course he added agave which I don't want to do. I cut all the ingredients in half, except the apple since I didn't want half an apple left over to turn brown. It came out nothing like the one at the demo. > > > > > > I'm getting a book next week but in the meantime does anyone have a suggestion for something simple I can try this weekend to make a smoothie I will actually like?> > > Michele> > >> >>

Guest guest

Here's one I had this morning and I enjoyed it immensely!!!!!! Sorry for the rough estimates of what I did.

I used one orange, peeled and sectioned,

2 fresh strawberries,

1 small handful of fresh blueberries,

4 spinach leaves because it was the last of the available in fridge,

1 big handful of kale (probably close to 1 cup) and

a bunch of ice. Could have used a little sweetener but even so, it was delicious.

Re: Re: Disappointed in my green smoothies

Here's a suggestion - I make this for my kids and they love it...

1 frozen banana

3-5 frozen strawberries (depending on size)

Handful of spinach (use as much or as little as feels right to you - maybe start with a smaller amount and build to a larger amount as your taste buds adjust?)

And orange juice to get it to the consistency that you like.

The orange juice is the key ingredient (as far as my kids are concerned;).

FrannySent from my iPhone

On Mar 24, 2012, at 10:34 AM, "chele519" <chele519@...> wrote:

The texture is great, it's the taste. The one with the strawberries, banana, and spinach was so sour and tart but I think I had too many strawberries in there. The one where I used the whole apple seemed to be really bland, almost like the apple drowned out the other flavors. I'm going to try using less apple and putting the rest in lemon juice so it won't brown. I usually have an apple later in the day with peanut butter so it doesn't have to last long. I made another one this morning with 1 banana, about 4 chunks of pineapple, 2 strawberries and spinach. It's better, but I could have used a little less pineapple. I did add a little less than 1/8 tsp vanilla too. I might just go with 2 bananas, 2 strawberries and some spinach next. Once I find a blend I really like, then I can start playing around with it. I'm assuming that my protein powder probably had more sugar in it than I realized and I'll have to get used to it. I recently stopped using my beloved french vanilla coffee creamer and just putting a tiny bit of skim milk to reduce the amount of sugar in my coffee also so I'm making a lot of changes to adjust to. > > > > I've had my machine for a few weeks now and I'm sad to say that the only thing I've made out of it that I liked was the tortilla soup. I made the zucchini soup in the book but will be throwing that out. I've made a few greens smoothies and although the texture is much better than my old blender, I can't seem to get the quantities right to get one that tastes good. I don't want to add sweetener and I stopped using my vanilla whey protein in favor of a vegetarian pea protein powder but I haven't used that in the smoothie because I can taste it. My old smoothie was usually just banana, a mix of spinach/kale, a little milk, water, and whey left over from draining my yogurt. > > > > I used the oat milk that I made from the blend it and mend it site but don't like it. I'm going to try rice milk today. I don't use ice in my smoothies because all my fruit is frozen so I've been using about 1/4 cup of the milk to use it up and the rest water. I've tried one with spinach, banana, small amounts of grapes, pears, orange, and pineapple. Yesterday I made one with strawberries and bananas and I could barely drink it. I think I had too many strawberries, it was very tart. > > > > I can't believe the protein powder would have made that much of a difference but I'll try adding a little vanilla today and see if that helps. I tried the recipe on page 30 of the book which is the one used at the demo but of course he added agave which I don't want to do. I cut all the ingredients in half, except the apple since I didn't want half an apple left over to turn brown. It came out nothing like the one at the demo. > > > > I'm getting a book next week but in the meantime does anyone have a suggestion for something simple I can try this weekend to make a smoothie I will actually like?> > Michele> >>

Guest guest

This morning's smoothie:

red grapes - 2-3 inches in the bottom of container (off steam -- anyone:

can we put in the steams too?)

2 whole tangelos, peeled

1 banana, peeled 'natch

1-2 handfuls of spinach

1 T chia seed

Delish!

> > > >

> > > > I've had my machine for a few weeks now and I'm sad to say that

> the only thing I've made out of it that I liked was the tortilla soup.

I

> made the zucchini soup in the book but will be throwing that out. I've

> made a few greens smoothies and although the texture is much better

than

> my old blender, I can't seem to get the quantities right to get one

that

> tastes good. I don't want to add sweetener and I stopped using my

> vanilla whey protein in favor of a vegetarian pea protein powder but I

> haven't used that in the smoothie because I can taste it. My old

> smoothie was usually just banana, a mix of spinach/kale, a little

milk,

> water, and whey left over from draining my yogurt.

> > > >

> > > > I used the oat milk that I made from the blend it and mend it

site

> but don't like it. I'm going to try rice milk today. I don't use ice

in

> my smoothies because all my fruit is frozen so I've been using about

1/4

> cup of the milk to use it up and the rest water. I've tried one with

> spinach, banana, small amounts of grapes, pears, orange, and

pineapple.

> Yesterday I made one with strawberries and bananas and I could barely

> drink it. I think I had too many strawberries, it was very tart.

> > > >

> > > > I can't believe the protein powder would have made that much of

a

> difference but I'll try adding a little vanilla today and see if that

> helps. I tried the recipe on page 30 of the book which is the one used

> at the demo but of course he added agave which I don't want to do. I

cut

> all the ingredients in half, except the apple since I didn't want half

> an apple left over to turn brown. It came out nothing like the one at

> the demo.

> > > >

> > > > I'm getting a book next week but in the meantime does anyone

have

> a suggestion for something simple I can try this weekend to make a

> smoothie I will actually like?

> > > > Michele

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Have you considered trying Stevia? There is a brand that doesn't seem to have a strong aftertaste. ($5 off of a first order of NuNaturals at http://www.iHerb.com if you use code ZIC184 - Shipping is Free if your order is above $20!) I LOVE Stevia to sweeten things. Last night I mixed some frozen blackberries mixed with some raw dairy cream and some Stevia - it was JUST like ice cream! (and I wouldn't have liked it much if it hadn't been sweetened with the Stevia)

On Mar 24, 2012, at 11:34 AM, chele519 wrote:

The texture is great, it's the taste. The one with the strawberries, banana, and spinach was so sour and tart but I think I had too many strawberries in there. The one where I used the whole apple seemed to be really bland, almost like the apple drowned out the other flavors. I'm going to try using less apple and putting the rest in lemon juice so it won't brown. I usually have an apple later in the day with peanut butter so it doesn't have to last long.

I made another one this morning with 1 banana, about 4 chunks of pineapple, 2 strawberries and spinach. It's better, but I could have used a little less pineapple. I did add a little less than 1/8 tsp vanilla too. I might just go with 2 bananas, 2 strawberries and some spinach next. Once I find a blend I really like, then I can start playing around with it. I'm assuming that my protein powder probably had more sugar in it than I realized and I'll have to get used to it.

I recently stopped using my beloved french vanilla coffee creamer and just putting a tiny bit of skim milk to reduce the amount of sugar in my coffee also so I'm making a lot of changes to adjust to.

> >

> > I've had my machine for a few weeks now and I'm sad to say that the only thing I've made out of it that I liked was the tortilla soup. I made the zucchini soup in the book but will be throwing that out. I've made a few greens smoothies and although the texture is much better than my old blender, I can't seem to get the quantities right to get one that tastes good. I don't want to add sweetener and I stopped using my vanilla whey protein in favor of a vegetarian pea protein powder but I haven't used that in the smoothie because I can taste it. My old smoothie was usually just banana, a mix of spinach/kale, a little milk, water, and whey left over from draining my yogurt.

> >

> > I used the oat milk that I made from the blend it and mend it site but don't like it. I'm going to try rice milk today. I don't use ice in my smoothies because all my fruit is frozen so I've been using about 1/4 cup of the milk to use it up and the rest water. I've tried one with spinach, banana, small amounts of grapes, pears, orange, and pineapple. Yesterday I made one with strawberries and bananas and I could barely drink it. I think I had too many strawberries, it was very tart.

> >

> > I can't believe the protein powder would have made that much of a difference but I'll try adding a little vanilla today and see if that helps. I tried the recipe on page 30 of the book which is the one used at the demo but of course he added agave which I don't want to do. I cut all the ingredients in half, except the apple since I didn't want half an apple left over to turn brown. It came out nothing like the one at the demo.

> >

> > I'm getting a book next week but in the meantime does anyone have a suggestion for something simple I can try this weekend to make a smoothie I will actually like?

> > Michele

> >

>

Guest guest

Lea Ann,

I received my Vitamix about a month ago and I'm loving it. I have only made green smoothies. I think I becoming addicted. Which Stevia do you recommend? I'm on the IHerb site ... just don't know which Stevia to try.

Best regards,

Carol

From: Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2012 3:51 PMSubject: Re: Disappointed in my green smoothies

Have you considered trying Stevia? There is a brand that doesn't seem to have a strong aftertaste. ($5 off of a first order of NuNaturals at http://www.iHerb.com/ if you use code ZIC184 - Shipping is Free if your order is above $20!)

I LOVE Stevia to sweeten things.

Last night I mixed some frozen blackberries mixed with some raw dairy cream and some Stevia - it was JUST like ice cream! (and I wouldn't have liked it much if it hadn't been sweetened with the Stevia)

The texture is great, it's the taste. The one with the strawberries, banana, and spinach was so sour and tart but I think I had too many strawberries in there. The one where I used the whole apple seemed to be really bland, almost like the apple drowned out the other flavors. I'm going to try using less apple and putting the rest in lemon juice so it won't brown. I usually have an apple later in the day with peanut butter so it doesn't have to last long. I made another one this morning with 1 banana, about 4 chunks of pineapple, 2 strawberries and spinach. It's better, but I could have used a little less pineapple. I did add a little less than 1/8 tsp vanilla too. I might just go with 2 bananas, 2 strawberries and some spinach next. Once I find a blend I really like, then I can start playing around with it. I'm assuming that my protein powder probably had more sugar in it than I realized and I'll have to get used to it. I recently

stopped using my beloved french vanilla coffee creamer and just putting a tiny bit of skim milk to reduce the amount of sugar in my coffee also so I'm making a lot of changes to adjust to. > > > > I've had my machine for a few weeks now and I'm sad to say that the only thing I've made out of it that I liked was the tortilla soup. I made the zucchini soup in the book but will be throwing that out. I've made a few greens smoothies and although the texture is much better than my old blender, I can't seem to get the quantities right to get one that tastes good. I don't want to add sweetener and I stopped using my vanilla whey protein in favor of a vegetarian pea protein powder but I haven't used that in the smoothie because I can taste it. My old smoothie was usually just banana, a mix of spinach/kale, a little milk, water, and whey left over from draining my yogurt. > > > > I used the oat milk that I made from the blend it and mend it site but don't like it.

I'm going to try rice milk today. I don't use ice in my smoothies because all my fruit is frozen so I've been using about 1/4 cup of the milk to use it up and the rest water. I've tried one with spinach, banana, small amounts of grapes, pears, orange, and pineapple. Yesterday I made one with strawberries and bananas and I could barely drink it. I think I had too many strawberries, it was very tart. > > > > I can't believe the protein powder would have made that much of a difference but I'll try adding a little vanilla today and see if that helps. I tried the recipe on page 30 of the book which is the one used at the demo but of course he added agave which I don't want to do. I cut all the ingredients in half, except the apple since I didn't want half an apple left over to turn brown. It came out nothing like the one at the demo. > > > > I'm getting a book next week but in the meantime does anyone have a suggestion

for something simple I can try this weekend to make a smoothie I will actually like?> > Michele> >>

Guest guest

This is a really good email from you Sparkles. I think it would make

a good basis for a easy to download and print pdf for newbies.

Velda

On 3/24/2012 10:12 AM, sparkles_95130 wrote:

As a fellow newbie to all this, I've hit some stumbling blocks and

made a few duds too, so here's a bit of info that's helped me:

Lea Ann's tips on ratios and fruit/veggies:

http://vitamixlady.com/green-smoothies/

Guidelines for green smoothies

http://greensmoothiesblog.com/guidelines-green-smoothies/

How to make a green smoothie tasty every times

http://greensmoothiesblog.com/how-to-make-a-green-smoothie-tips/

15 Green Smoothies in 3 minutes:

http://www.rawfamily.com/films/15-green-smoothies-in-3-minutes

For my newbie taste buds you aren't using enough fruit, and sweet

fruit at that (example I love cantaloupe but haven't hit the right

co!

mbo with it yet because it's a milder flavor) . Also, to start

I've found keeping it simple and not adding too many things is

helping to hone my tastes to see what works for me. I don't add

any protein powers/etc because I read you get protein from greens

and it's easier on the stomach. I'd learn what tastes good to you

then build in additions to see what works for you.

A favorite combo is 6-7 chunks? pineapple, 1 yellow mango, 1

banana, 1-2 small handfuls of spinach (at first I used giant wad

handfuls and it was too much), ice.

I've sub'ed 2 tangelos/navel oranges for either the pineapple or

mango in this comb. Also, I made the mistake of using kale in the

same amounts as spinach - yuck no, at least right now. Just a few

leaves works better for me at the moment. I'm now adding chia

seeds (you can't taste them) but don't let it set or the smoothie

gets pretty thick.

I am using fresh and organic whenever possible.

Right now the yellow mangos are on sale !

and super tasty

Tangelos are on sale; ditto navel oranges

I broke down and bought the big container of cut pineapple at

Whole Foods while waiting for a whole one to ripen. It turned out

to be cost effective because I got 4-5 smoothies out of that so

turned in to a good deal.

I've tried strawberries but I'm waiting for them to come in season

at better prices (organic) so I can use enough of them to give me

a strong flavor.

I just picked up "Green for Life" at the library yesterday per Lea

Ann's recommendation (same person/family of the other links

above) to learn more.

Anyhoo, this is just some things I've learned so far, hope it

helps.

:)

Guest guest

Any NuNaturals brand alcohol-free liquid Stevia should be good! (I prefer liquid because it is so easy to measure - tiny amounts is all it takes!)

On Mar 24, 2012, at 4:09 PM, Carol wrote:

Lea Ann,

I received my Vitamix about a month ago and I'm loving it. I have only made green smoothies. I think I becoming addicted. Which Stevia do you recommend? I'm on the IHerb site ... just don't know which Stevia to try.

Best regards,

Carol

From: Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2012 3:51 PMSubject: Re: Disappointed in my green smoothies

Have you considered trying Stevia? There is a brand that doesn't seem to have a strong aftertaste. ($5 off of a first order of NuNaturals at http://www.iHerb.com/ if you use code ZIC184 - Shipping is Free if your order is above $20!)

Last night I mixed some frozen blackberries mixed with some raw dairy cream and some Stevia - it was JUST like ice cream! (and I wouldn't have liked it much if it hadn't been sweetened with the Stevia)

The texture is great, it's the taste. The one with the strawberries, banana, and spinach was so sour and tart but I think I had too many strawberries in there. The one where I used the whole apple seemed to be really bland, almost like the apple drowned out the other flavors. I'm going to try using less apple and putting the rest in lemon juice so it won't brown. I usually have an apple later in the day with peanut butter so it doesn't have to last long. I made another one this morning with 1 banana, about 4 chunks of pineapple, 2 strawberries and spinach. It's better, but I could have used a little less pineapple. I did add a little less than 1/8 tsp vanilla too. I might just go with 2 bananas, 2 strawberries and some spinach next. Once I find a blend I really like, then I can start playing around with it. I'm assuming that my protein powder probably had more sugar in it than I realized and I'll have to get used to it. I recently

stopped using my beloved french vanilla coffee creamer and just putting a tiny bit of skim milk to reduce the amount of sugar in my coffee also so I'm making a lot of changes to adjust to. > > > > I've had my machine for a few weeks now and I'm sad to say that the only thing I've made out of it that I liked was the tortilla soup. I made the zucchini soup in the book but will be throwing that out. I've made a few greens smoothies and although the texture is much better than my old blender, I can't seem to get the quantities right to get one that tastes good. I don't want to add sweetener and I stopped using my vanilla whey protein in favor of a vegetarian pea protein powder but I haven't used that in the smoothie because I can taste it. My old smoothie was usually just banana, a mix of spinach/kale, a little milk, water, and whey left over from draining my yogurt. > > > > I used the oat milk that I made from the blend it and mend it site but don't like it.

I'm going to try rice milk today. I don't use ice in my smoothies because all my fruit is frozen so I've been using about 1/4 cup of the milk to use it up and the rest water. I've tried one with spinach, banana, small amounts of grapes, pears, orange, and pineapple. Yesterday I made one with strawberries and bananas and I could barely drink it. I think I had too many strawberries, it was very tart. > > > > I can't believe the protein powder would have made that much of a difference but I'll try adding a little vanilla today and see if that helps. I tried the recipe on page 30 of the book which is the one used at the demo but of course he added agave which I don't want to do. I cut all the ingredients in half, except the apple since I didn't want half an apple left over to turn brown. It came out nothing like the one at the demo. > > > > I'm getting a book next week but in the meantime does anyone have a suggestion

for something simple I can try this weekend to make a smoothie I will actually like?> > Michele> >>

Guest guest

Thanks so much.. I will order some now.

Best regards,

Carol Wahl

From: Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2012 6:29 PMSubject: Re: Disappointed in my green smoothies

Any NuNaturals brand alcohol-free liquid Stevia should be good! (I prefer liquid because it is so easy to measure - tiny amounts is all it takes!)

On Mar 24, 2012, at 4:09 PM, Carol wrote:

Lea Ann,

Best regards,

Carol

Guest guest

Added this post here:Links > 1 -RECIPES > Green Smoothies/links/Recipe_Links_001298558025/Green_Smoothies_001327151329/Under "Tips for making Great Tasting Green Smoothies…"

On Mar 24, 2012, at 1:12 PM, sparkles_95130 wrote:

As a fellow newbie to all this, I've hit some stumbling blocks and made a few duds too, so here's a bit of info that's helped me:Lea Ann's tips on ratios and fruit/veggies:http://vitamixlady.com/green-smoothies/ Guidelines for green smoothieshttp://greensmoothiesblog.com/guidelines-green-smoothies/ How to make a green smoothie tasty every timeshttp://greensmoothiesblog.com/how-to-make-a-green-smoothie-tips/ 15 Green Smoothies in 3 minutes:http://www.rawfamily.com/films/15-green-smoothies-in-3-minutes For my newbie taste buds you aren't using enough fruit, and sweet fruit at that (example I love cantaloupe but haven't hit the right combo with it yet because it's a milder flavor) . Also, to start I've found keeping it simple and not adding too many things is helping to hone my tastes to see what works for me. I don't add any protein powers/etc because I read you get protein from greens and it's easier on the stomach. I'd learn what tastes good to you then build in additions to see what works for you.A favorite combo is 6-7 chunks? pineapple, 1 yellow mango, 1 banana, 1-2 small handfuls of spinach (at first I used giant wad handfuls and it was too much), ice.I've sub'ed 2 tangelos/navel oranges for either the pineapple or mango in this comb. Also, I made the mistake of using kale in the same amounts as spinach - yuck no, at least right now. Just a few leaves works better for me at the moment. I'm now adding chia seeds (you can't taste them) but don't let it set or the smoothie gets pretty thick.I am using fresh and organic whenever possible.Right now the yellow mangos are on sale and super tastyTangelos are on sale; ditto navel orangesI broke down and bought the big container of cut pineapple at Whole Foods while waiting for a whole one to ripen. It turned out to be cost effective because I got 4-5 smoothies out of that so turned in to a good deal.I've tried strawberries but I'm waiting for them to come in season at better prices (organic) so I can use enough of them to give me a strong flavor.I just picked up "Green for Life" at the library yesterday per Lea Ann's recommendation (same person/family of the other links above) to learn more.Anyhoo, this is just some things I've learned so far, hope it helps.:)> > > > > > I've had my machine for a few weeks now and I'm sad to say that the only thing I've made out of it that I liked was the tortilla soup. I made the zucchini soup in the book but will be throwing that out. I've made a few greens smoothies and although the texture is much better than my old blender, I can't seem to get the quantities right to get one that tastes good. I don't want to add sweetener and I stopped using my vanilla whey protein in favor of a vegetarian pea protein powder but I haven't used that in the smoothie because I can taste it. My old smoothie was usually just banana, a mix of spinach/kale, a little milk, water, and whey left over from draining my yogurt. > > > > > > I used the oat milk that I made from the blend it and mend it site but don't like it. I'm going to try rice milk today. I don't use ice in my smoothies because all my fruit is frozen so I've been using about 1/4 cup of the milk to use it up and the rest water. I've tried one with spinach, banana, small amounts of grapes, pears, orange, and pineapple. Yesterday I made one with strawberries and bananas and I could barely drink it. I think I had too many strawberries, it was very tart. > > > > > > I can't believe the protein powder would have made that much of a difference but I'll try adding a little vanilla today and see if that helps. I tried the recipe on page 30 of the book which is the one used at the demo but of course he added agave which I don't want to do. I cut all the ingredients in half, except the apple since I didn't want half an apple left over to turn brown. It came out nothing like the one at the demo. > > > > > > I'm getting a book next week but in the meantime does anyone have a suggestion for something simple I can try this weekend to make a smoothie I will actually like?> > > Michele> > >> >>

Guest guest

You  know, I was just thinking. We have such a great group here. A

great group of "list Mom's" who keep things in line and keep us

going and a great group of members who post such interesting things

which Lea Ann and company keep filing away so we don't have to keep

re-inventing the wheel when it comes to info needed again and again.

Thanks all. I am glad I am here.

Velda

On 3/24/2012 3:42 PM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:

Added this post here:

Links > 1

-RECIPES > Green Smoothies

/links/Recipe_Links_001298558025/Green_Smoothies_001327151329/

Under "Tips for making Great Tasting Green Smoothies…"

Blessings,

Lea Ann Savage

Satellite Beach, FL

(321) 773-7088 (home)

(321-961-9219 (cell)

www.VitamixLady.com

www..com

<:)))><

On Mar 24, 2012, at 1:12 PM, sparkles_95130 wrote:

As a fellow newbie to all this, I've hit some stumbling

blocks and made a few duds too,  so here's a bit of info

that's helped me:

Lea Ann's tips on ratios and fruit/veggies:

http://vitamixlady.com/green-smoothies/

Guidelines for green smoothies

http://greensmoothiesblog.com/guidelines-green-smoothies/

How to make a green smoothie tasty every times

http://greensmoothiesblog.com/how-to-make-a-green-smoothie-tips/

15 Green Smoothies in 3  minutes:

http://www.rawfamily.com/films/15-green-smoothies-in-3-minutes

For my newbie taste buds you aren't using enough fruit,

and sweet fruit at that (example I love cantaloupe but

haven't hit the right combo with it yet because it's a

milder flavor) . Also, to start I've found keeping it

simple and not adding too many things is helping to hone

my tastes to see what works for me. I don't add any

protein powers/etc because I read you get protein from

greens and it's easier on the stomach. I'd learn what

tastes good to you then build in additions to see what

works for you.

A favorite combo is 6-7 chunks? pineapple, 1 yellow

mango, 1 banana, 1-2 small handfuls of spinach (at first

I used giant wad handfuls and it was too much), ice.

I've sub'ed 2 tangelos/navel oranges for either the

pineapple or mango in this comb. Also, I made the

mistake of using kale in the same amounts as spinach -

yuck no, at least right now. Just a few leaves works

better for me at the moment. I'm now adding chia seeds

(you can't taste them) but don't let it set or the

smoothie gets pretty thick.

I am using fresh and organic whenever possible.

Right now the yellow mangos are on sale and super tasty

Tangelos are on sale; ditto navel oranges

I broke down and bought the big container of cut

pineapple at Whole Foods while waiting for a whole one

to ripen. It turned out to be cost effective because I

got 4-5 smoothies out of that so turned in to a good

deal.

I've tried strawberries but I'm waiting for them to come

in season at better prices (organic) so I can use enough

of them to give me a strong flavor.

I just picked up "Green for Life" at the library

yesterday per Lea Ann's recommendation (same

person/family of the other links above)  to learn more.

Anyhoo, this is just some things I've learned so far,

hope it helps.

:)

> > >

> > > I've had my machine for a few weeks now

and I'm sad to say that the only thing I've made out of

it that I liked was the tortilla soup. I made the

zucchini soup in the book but will be throwing that out.

I've made a few greens smoothies and although the

texture is much better than my old blender, I can't seem

to get the quantities right to get one that tastes good.

I don't want to add sweetener and I stopped using my

vanilla whey protein in favor of a vegetarian pea

protein powder but I haven't used that in the smoothie

because I can taste it. My old smoothie was usually just

banana, a mix of spinach/kale, a little milk, water, and

whey left over from draining my yogurt.

> > >

> > > I used the oat milk that I made from the

blend it and mend it site but don't like it. I'm going

to try rice milk today. I don't use ice in my smoothies

because all my fruit is frozen so I've been using about

1/4 cup of the milk to use it up and the rest water.

I've tried one with spinach, banana, small amounts of

grapes, pears, orange, and pineapple. Yesterday I made

one with strawberries and bananas and I could barely

drink it. I think I had too many strawberries, it was

very tart.

> > >

> > > I can't believe the protein powder would

have made that much of a difference but I'll try adding

a little vanilla today and see if that helps. I tried

the recipe on page 30 of the book which is the one used

at the demo but of course he added agave which I don't

want to do. I cut all the ingredients in half, except

the apple since I didn't want half an apple left over to

turn brown. It came out nothing like the one at the

demo.

> > >

> > > I'm getting a book next week but in the

meantime does anyone have a suggestion for something

simple I can try this weekend to make a smoothie I will

actually like?

> > > Michele

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Thanks! I hope it helps others on the new learning curve I'm on. Also, FYI I've

updated my profile so it shows my name now. :-)

-

> >

> >

> > As a fellow newbie to all this, I've hit some stumbling blocks and

> > made a few duds too, so here's a bit of info that's helped me:

> >

> > Lea Ann's tips on ratios and fruit/veggies:

> > http://vitamixlady.com/green-smoothies/

> >

> > Guidelines for green smoothies

> > http://greensmoothiesblog.com/guidelines-green-smoothies/

> >

> > How to make a green smoothie tasty every times

> > http://greensmoothiesblog.com/how-to-make-a-green-smoothie-tips/

> >

> > 15 Green Smoothies in 3 minutes:

> > http://www.rawfamily.com/films/15-green-smoothies-in-3-minutes

> >

> > For my newbie taste buds you aren't using enough fruit, and sweet

> > fruit at that (example I love cantaloupe but haven't hit the right co!

> > mbo with it yet because it's a milder flavor) . Also, to start I've

> > found keeping it simple and not adding too many things is helping to

> > hone my tastes to see what works for me. I don't add any protein

> > powers/etc because I read you get protein from greens and it's easier

> > on the stomach. I'd learn what tastes good to you then build in

> > additions to see what works for you.

> >

> > A favorite combo is 6-7 chunks? pineapple, 1 yellow mango, 1 banana,

> > 1-2 small handfuls of spinach (at first I used giant wad handfuls and

> > it was too much), ice.

> > I've sub'ed 2 tangelos/navel oranges for either the pineapple or mango

> > in this comb. Also, I made the mistake of using kale in the same

> > amounts as spinach - yuck no, at least right now. Just a few leaves

> > works better for me at the moment. I'm now adding chia seeds (you

> > can't taste them) but don't let it set or the smoothie gets pretty thick.

> >

> > I am using fresh and organic whenever possible.

> >

> > Right now the yellow mangos are on sale ! and super tasty

> > Tangelos are on sale; ditto navel oranges

> > I broke down and bought the big container of cut pineapple at Whole

> > Foods while waiting for a whole one to ripen. It turned out to be cost

> > effective because I got 4-5 smoothies out of that so turned in to a

> > good deal.

> > I've tried strawberries but I'm waiting for them to come in season at

> > better prices (organic) so I can use enough of them to give me a

> > strong flavor.

> >

> > I just picked up " Green for Life " at the library yesterday per Lea

> > Ann's recommendation (same person/family of the other links above) to

> > learn more.

> >

> > Anyhoo, this is just some things I've learned so far, hope it helps.

> >

> > :)

> >

>

Guest guest

I did hesitate in using " sparkles " but looked and did not see any other

name. Thanks !

Velda

On 3/24/2012 4:15 PM, mariadnoca wrote:

> Thanks! I hope it helps others on the new learning curve I'm on. Also, FYI

I've updated my profile so it shows my name now. :-)

>

> -

>

>

>>>

>>> As a fellow newbie to all this, I've hit some stumbling blocks and

>>> made a few duds too, so here's a bit of info that's helped me:

>>>

>>> Lea Ann's tips on ratios and fruit/veggies:

>>> http://vitamixlady.com/green-smoothies/

>>>

>>> Guidelines for green smoothies

>>> http://greensmoothiesblog.com/guidelines-green-smoothies/

>>>

>>> How to make a green smoothie tasty every times

>>> http://greensmoothiesblog.com/how-to-make-a-green-smoothie-tips/

>>>

>>> 15 Green Smoothies in 3 minutes:

>>> http://www.rawfamily.com/films/15-green-smoothies-in-3-minutes

>>>

>>> For my newbie taste buds you aren't using enough fruit, and sweet

>>> fruit at that (example I love cantaloupe but haven't hit the right co!

>>> mbo with it yet because it's a milder flavor) . Also, to start I've

>>> found keeping it simple and not adding too many things is helping to

>>> hone my tastes to see what works for me. I don't add any protein

>>> powers/etc because I read you get protein from greens and it's easier

>>> on the stomach. I'd learn what tastes good to you then build in

>>> additions to see what works for you.

>>>

>>> A favorite combo is 6-7 chunks? pineapple, 1 yellow mango, 1 banana,

>>> 1-2 small handfuls of spinach (at first I used giant wad handfuls and

>>> it was too much), ice.

>>> I've sub'ed 2 tangelos/navel oranges for either the pineapple or mango

>>> in this comb. Also, I made the mistake of using kale in the same

>>> amounts as spinach - yuck no, at least right now. Just a few leaves

>>> works better for me at the moment. I'm now adding chia seeds (you

>>> can't taste them) but don't let it set or the smoothie gets pretty thick.

>>>

>>> I am using fresh and organic whenever possible.

>>>

>>> Right now the yellow mangos are on sale ! and super tasty

>>> Tangelos are on sale; ditto navel oranges

>>> I broke down and bought the big container of cut pineapple at Whole

>>> Foods while waiting for a whole one to ripen. It turned out to be cost

>>> effective because I got 4-5 smoothies out of that so turned in to a

>>> good deal.

>>> I've tried strawberries but I'm waiting for them to come in season at

>>> better prices (organic) so I can use enough of them to give me a

>>> strong flavor.

>>>

>>> I just picked up " Green for Life " at the library yesterday per Lea

>>> Ann's recommendation (same person/family of the other links above) to

>>> learn more.

>>>

>>> Anyhoo, this is just some things I've learned so far, hope it helps.

>>>

>>> :)

>>>

>

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

> Please bookmark these pages:

>

> /links/

> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes,

and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)

>

>

/links/IMPORTANT_VitamixE\

nthusiasts_Membership__001327149393/

> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you

unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of

Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from

coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page

and read messages online!

Guest guest

No worries, it's a nickname so either work. :)

> >>>

> >>> As a fellow newbie to all this, I've hit some stumbling blocks and

> >>> made a few duds too, so here's a bit of info that's helped me:

> >>>

> >>> Lea Ann's tips on ratios and fruit/veggies:

> >>> http://vitamixlady.com/green-smoothies/

> >>>

> >>> Guidelines for green smoothies

> >>> http://greensmoothiesblog.com/guidelines-green-smoothies/

> >>>

> >>> How to make a green smoothie tasty every times

> >>> http://greensmoothiesblog.com/how-to-make-a-green-smoothie-tips/

> >>>

> >>> 15 Green Smoothies in 3 minutes:

> >>> http://www.rawfamily.com/films/15-green-smoothies-in-3-minutes

> >>>

> >>> For my newbie taste buds you aren't using enough fruit, and sweet

> >>> fruit at that (example I love cantaloupe but haven't hit the right co!

> >>> mbo with it yet because it's a milder flavor) . Also, to start I've

> >>> found keeping it simple and not adding too many things is helping to

> >>> hone my tastes to see what works for me. I don't add any protein

> >>> powers/etc because I read you get protein from greens and it's easier

> >>> on the stomach. I'd learn what tastes good to you then build in

> >>> additions to see what works for you.

> >>>

> >>> A favorite combo is 6-7 chunks? pineapple, 1 yellow mango, 1 banana,

> >>> 1-2 small handfuls of spinach (at first I used giant wad handfuls and

> >>> it was too much), ice.

> >>> I've sub'ed 2 tangelos/navel oranges for either the pineapple or mango

> >>> in this comb. Also, I made the mistake of using kale in the same

> >>> amounts as spinach - yuck no, at least right now. Just a few leaves

> >>> works better for me at the moment. I'm now adding chia seeds (you

> >>> can't taste them) but don't let it set or the smoothie gets pretty thick.

> >>>

> >>> I am using fresh and organic whenever possible.

> >>>

> >>> Right now the yellow mangos are on sale ! and super tasty

> >>> Tangelos are on sale; ditto navel oranges

> >>> I broke down and bought the big container of cut pineapple at Whole

> >>> Foods while waiting for a whole one to ripen. It turned out to be cost

> >>> effective because I got 4-5 smoothies out of that so turned in to a

> >>> good deal.

> >>> I've tried strawberries but I'm waiting for them to come in season at

> >>> better prices (organic) so I can use enough of them to give me a

> >>> strong flavor.

> >>>

> >>> I just picked up " Green for Life " at the library yesterday per Lea

> >>> Ann's recommendation (same person/family of the other links above) to

> >>> learn more.

> >>>

> >>> Anyhoo, this is just some things I've learned so far, hope it helps.

> >>>

> >>> :)

> >>>

> >

> >

> >

> > ------------------------------------

> >

> > Please bookmark these pages:

> >

> > /links/

> > (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers,

Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added

to)

> >

> >

> > PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you

coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page

Guest guest

NuNaturals stevia is by far the best! I just bought the liquid vanilla stevia based on recommendations and LOVE it! I wasn't sure since it didn't say non bitter like the powder, but it's not. It's my favorite now even over the powder, because it's someways to use and I love the vanilla too.Chryste

Guest guest

Here's the combo I tried for my 1st Green Smoothie and I don't have to add a

thing. Even my picky husband liked it ( he could do w/ out the glowing green

color though, lol

¡1-2 bananas

¡1/2 cup frozen peaches

¡1/2 cup frozen mango

¡a couple handfuls of spinach

¡water

>

> I've had my machine for a few weeks now and I'm sad to say that the only thing

I've made out of it that I liked was the tortilla soup. I made the zucchini soup

in the book but will be throwing that out. I've made a few greens smoothies and

although the texture is much better than my old blender, I can't seem to get the

quantities right to get one that tastes good. I don't want to add sweetener and

I stopped using my vanilla whey protein in favor of a vegetarian pea protein

powder but I haven't used that in the smoothie because I can taste it. My old

smoothie was usually just banana, a mix of spinach/kale, a little milk, water,

and whey left over from draining my yogurt.

>

> I used the oat milk that I made from the blend it and mend it site but don't

was very tart.

>

> I can't believe the protein powder would have made that much of a difference

>

> I'm getting a book next week but in the meantime does anyone have a suggestion

for something simple I can try this weekend to make a smoothie I will actually

like?

> Michele

>

Guest guest

I read the link to Lea Ann's ratios and I'm wondering if this might be my

problem. It says that if you store citrus, it will make it bitter. I usually

make my smoothie before I leave for work and drink it once I get there, about 40

mins later, and take about another 1/2 hr to drink it. I was putting both orange

and pineapple, not sure if pineapple is considered citrus. I guess I will only

use oranges when I drink them on the weekends.

Michele

> > > >

> > > > I've had my machine for a few weeks now and I'm sad to say that

> the only thing I've made out of it that I liked was the tortilla soup. I

> made the zucchini soup in the book but will be throwing that out. I've

> made a few greens smoothies and although the texture is much better than

> my old blender, I can't seem to get the quantities right to get one that

> tastes good. I don't want to add sweetener and I stopped using my

> vanilla whey protein in favor of a vegetarian pea protein powder but I

> haven't used that in the smoothie because I can taste it. My old

> smoothie was usually just banana, a mix of spinach/kale, a little milk,

> water, and whey left over from draining my yogurt.

> > > >

> > > > I used the oat milk that I made from the blend it and mend it site

> but don't like it. I'm going to try rice milk today. I don't use ice in

> my smoothies because all my fruit is frozen so I've been using about 1/4

> cup of the milk to use it up and the rest water. I've tried one with

> spinach, banana, small amounts of grapes, pears, orange, and pineapple.

> Yesterday I made one with strawberries and bananas and I could barely

> drink it. I think I had too many strawberries, it was very tart.

> > > >

> > > > I can't believe the protein powder would have made that much of a

> difference but I'll try adding a little vanilla today and see if that

> helps. I tried the recipe on page 30 of the book which is the one used

> at the demo but of course he added agave which I don't want to do. I cut

> all the ingredients in half, except the apple since I didn't want half

> an apple left over to turn brown. It came out nothing like the one at

> the demo.

> > > >

> > > > I'm getting a book next week but in the meantime does anyone have

> a suggestion for something simple I can try this weekend to make a

> smoothie I will actually like?

> > > > Michele

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

I only have bitterness when I use peel (and I only use lemon peel in a

slice once in a while, otherwise peel all citrus).

Velda

On 3/25/2012 5:00 AM, chele519 wrote:

> I read the link to Lea Ann's ratios and I'm wondering if this might be my

problem. It says that if you store citrus, it will make it bitter. I usually

make my smoothie before I leave for work and drink it once I get there, about 40

mins later, and take about another 1/2 hr to drink it. I was putting both orange

and pineapple, not sure if pineapple is considered citrus. I guess I will only

use oranges when I drink them on the weekends.

> Michele

>

>

>>>>>

>>>>> I've had my machine for a few weeks now and I'm sad to say that

>> the only thing I've made out of it that I liked was the tortilla soup. I

>> made the zucchini soup in the book but will be throwing that out. I've

>> made a few greens smoothies and although the texture is much better than

>> my old blender, I can't seem to get the quantities right to get one that

>> tastes good. I don't want to add sweetener and I stopped using my

>> vanilla whey protein in favor of a vegetarian pea protein powder but I

>> haven't used that in the smoothie because I can taste it. My old

>> smoothie was usually just banana, a mix of spinach/kale, a little milk,

>> water, and whey left over from draining my yogurt.

>>>>> I used the oat milk that I made from the blend it and mend it site

>> but don't like it. I'm going to try rice milk today. I don't use ice in

>> my smoothies because all my fruit is frozen so I've been using about 1/4

>> cup of the milk to use it up and the rest water. I've tried one with

>> spinach, banana, small amounts of grapes, pears, orange, and pineapple.

>> Yesterday I made one with strawberries and bananas and I could barely

>> drink it. I think I had too many strawberries, it was very tart.

>>>>> I can't believe the protein powder would have made that much of a

>> difference but I'll try adding a little vanilla today and see if that

>> helps. I tried the recipe on page 30 of the book which is the one used

>> at the demo but of course he added agave which I don't want to do. I cut

>> all the ingredients in half, except the apple since I didn't want half

>> an apple left over to turn brown. It came out nothing like the one at

>> the demo.

>>>>> I'm getting a book next week but in the meantime does anyone have

>> a suggestion for something simple I can try this weekend to make a

>> smoothie I will actually like?

>>>>> Michele

>>>>>

>

>

>

>

>

> /links/

> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes,

and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)

>

>

> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you

Guest guest

I went for simplicity with todays smoothie ...I am typically one of those who wants to add just one more thing...Not good!A few collards leavesfresh blueberrieswhole bananaa few agave dropsice/waterMy issue is that I always make too much. JaneOn Mar 25, 2012, at 3:45 PM, Velda wrote:

I only have bitterness when I use peel (and I only use lemon peel in a

slice once in a while, otherwise peel all citrus).

Velda

On 3/25/2012 5:00 AM, chele519 wrote:

> I read the link to Lea Ann's ratios and I'm wondering if this might be my problem. It says that if you store citrus, it will make it bitter. I usually make my smoothie before I leave for work and drink it once I get there, about 40 mins later, and take about another 1/2 hr to drink it. I was putting both orange and pineapple, not sure if pineapple is considered citrus. I guess I will only use oranges when I drink them on the weekends.

> Michele

>

>

>>>>>

>>>>> I've had my machine for a few weeks now and I'm sad to say that

>> the only thing I've made out of it that I liked was the tortilla soup. I

>> made the zucchini soup in the book but will be throwing that out. I've

>> made a few greens smoothies and although the texture is much better than

>> my old blender, I can't seem to get the quantities right to get one that

>> tastes good. I don't want to add sweetener and I stopped using my

>> vanilla whey protein in favor of a vegetarian pea protein powder but I

>> haven't used that in the smoothie because I can taste it. My old

>> smoothie was usually just banana, a mix of spinach/kale, a little milk,

>> water, and whey left over from draining my yogurt.

>>>>> I used the oat milk that I made from the blend it and mend it site

>> but don't like it. I'm going to try rice milk today. I don't use ice in

>> my smoothies because all my fruit is frozen so I've been using about 1/4

>> cup of the milk to use it up and the rest water. I've tried one with

>> spinach, banana, small amounts of grapes, pears, orange, and pineapple.

>> Yesterday I made one with strawberries and bananas and I could barely

>> drink it. I think I had too many strawberries, it was very tart.

>>>>> I can't believe the protein powder would have made that much of a

>> difference but I'll try adding a little vanilla today and see if that

>> helps. I tried the recipe on page 30 of the book which is the one used

>> at the demo but of course he added agave which I don't want to do. I cut

>> all the ingredients in half, except the apple since I didn't want half

>> an apple left over to turn brown. It came out nothing like the one at

>> the demo.

>>>>> I'm getting a book next week but in the meantime does anyone have

>> a suggestion for something simple I can try this weekend to make a

>> smoothie I will actually like?

>>>>> Michele

>>>>>

>

>

>

>

>

> /links/

> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)

>

> /links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/

> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!

Guest guest

I made this with Kale this morning and really liked it. I added a tiny bit of

vanilla but no sweetener and it was pretty good. i think I also need to let my

bananas ripen more before sticking them in the freezer.

michele

> >

> > I've had my machine for a few weeks now and I'm sad to say that the only

thing I've made out of it that I liked was the tortilla soup. I made the

zucchini soup in the book but will be throwing that out. I've made a few greens

smoothies and although the texture is much better than my old blender, I can't

seem to get the quantities right to get one that tastes good. I don't want to

add sweetener and I stopped using my vanilla whey protein in favor of a

vegetarian pea protein powder but I haven't used that in the smoothie because I

can taste it. My old smoothie was usually just banana, a mix of spinach/kale, a

little milk, water, and whey left over from draining my yogurt.

> >

> > I used the oat milk that I made from the blend it and mend it site but don't

was very tart.

> >

> > I can't believe the protein powder would have made that much of a difference

> >

> > I'm getting a book next week but in the meantime does anyone have a

suggestion for something simple I can try this weekend to make a smoothie I will

actually like?

> > Michele

> >

>