RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: ok you ice cream makers..need you suggestion

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

It's good to know there are alternatives . I'm reading Texture A

hydrocolloid Recipe Collection now trying to come up to date on these things.

It's very interesting. It's available for free download at

http://khymos.org and http://blog.khymos.org/recipe-collection

terry

On Mar 31, 2012, at 2:57 PM, wrote:

> You could easily sub cashews, pumpkin, hard winter squash, or even mild white

beans for the creamy factor (replacing the cream cheese-could also use greek

style yogurt or a combination of any of these) , rice/nut/almond/grain milk for

the half and half, and skip the xanthum altogether. The xanthum is a

stabilizer, and just serves to keep it scoopable after freezing, but if you

store the ice cream in individual servings (I use pint mason jars), you can just

set a jar out 20 minutes or so before you want to eat it and it should be a

perfect consistency.

>

>

>

>

>

>>

>>

>> saw this rec and would like to give it a whirl but am not into all that fat

in the 1/2 and 1/2 ..

>>

>> would using the xantham gum help if I tried this

>> with fat free 1/2 and 1/2 or am I wasting my ingredients trying to make this

low fat ???

>>

>> this is the recipe I was looking at :

>>

>> 1/2 cup (120 ml) half and half

>> 3 ounces (85 g) cream cheese

>> 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

>> 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

>> 1/3 cup (66 g) sugar or other sweetener, to taste

>> 1 1/2 cups (224 g) frozen unsweetened strawberries

>> 1/2 cup ice cubes

>> Whipped topping

>> Fresh blueberries

>>

>

>

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

> Please bookmark these pages:

>

> /links/

> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes,

and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)

>

>

/links/IMPORTANT_VitamixE\

nthusiasts_Membership__001327149393/

> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you

unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of

Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from

coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page

and read messages online!

Guest guest

With all of my allergies, I have become the queen of alternatives! lol I even have alternative toilet bowl cleaners and such, all made in the Vitamix, lolSent from my iPadOn Mar 31, 2012, at 3:51 PM, Terry Pogue <tpogue@...> wrote:

It's good to know there are alternatives . I'm reading Texture A hydrocolloid Recipe Collection now trying to come up to date on these things. It's very interesting. It's available for free download at

http://khymos.org and http://blog.khymos.org/recipe-collection

terry

On Mar 31, 2012, at 2:57 PM, wrote:

> You could easily sub cashews, pumpkin, hard winter squash, or even mild white beans for the creamy factor (replacing the cream cheese-could also use greek style yogurt or a combination of any of these) , rice/nut/almond/grain milk for the half and half, and skip the xanthum altogether. The xanthum is a stabilizer, and just serves to keep it scoopable after freezing, but if you store the ice cream in individual servings (I use pint mason jars), you can just set a jar out 20 minutes or so before you want to eat it and it should be a perfect consistency.

>

>

>

>

>

>>

>>

>> saw this rec and would like to give it a whirl but am not into all that fat in the 1/2 and 1/2 ..

>>

>> would using the xantham gum help if I tried this

>> with fat free 1/2 and 1/2 or am I wasting my ingredients trying to make this low fat ???

>>

>> this is the recipe I was looking at :

>>

>> 1/2 cup (120 ml) half and half

>> 3 ounces (85 g) cream cheese

>> 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

>> 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

>> 1/3 cup (66 g) sugar or other sweetener, to taste

>> 1 1/2 cups (224 g) frozen unsweetened strawberries

>> 1/2 cup ice cubes

>> Whipped topping

>> Fresh blueberries

>>

>

>

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

> Please bookmark these pages:

>

> /links/

> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)

>

> /links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/

> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!

Guest guest

You sound like a cross between a scientist and a top chef Terry! It is

fun to hear your latest experiment.

Velda

On 3/31/2012 12:51 PM, Terry Pogue wrote:

> It's good to know there are alternatives . I'm reading Texture A

> http://khymos.org and http://blog.khymos.org/recipe-collection

> terry

>

>

> On Mar 31, 2012, at 2:57 PM, wrote:

>

>> You could easily sub cashews, pumpkin, hard winter squash, or even mild white

beans for the creamy factor (replacing the cream cheese-could also use greek

style yogurt or a combination of any of these) , rice/nut/almond/grain milk for

the half and half, and skip the xanthum altogether. The xanthum is a

store the ice cream in individual servings (I use pint mason jars), you can just

perfect consistency.

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>>

>>> saw this rec and would like to give it a whirl but am not into all that fat

in the 1/2 and 1/2 ..

>>>

>>> would using the xantham gum help if I tried this

>>> with fat free 1/2 and 1/2 or am I wasting my ingredients trying to make this

low fat ???

>>>

>>> this is the recipe I was looking at :

>>>

>>> 1/2 cup (120 ml) half and half

>>> 3 ounces (85 g) cream cheese

>>> 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

>>> 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

>>> 1/3 cup (66 g) sugar or other sweetener, to taste

>>> 1 1/2 cups (224 g) frozen unsweetened strawberries

>>> 1/2 cup ice cubes

>>> Whipped topping

>>> Fresh blueberries

>>>

>>

>>

>>

>> ------------------------------------

>>

>> Please bookmark these pages:

>>

>> /links/

>> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers,

Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added

to)

>>

>>

>> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you

coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page

Guest guest

When we went to Spain last year I ran across this restaurant in my research. To many it is the finest restaurant in the world. It would have been a hike to get to from Barcelona but I considered it until I ran across the prices of this place. Talk about expensive! I believe it is closed now but he has opened up an upscale tapas restaurant in Barcelona now. I am not sure he cooks like you want to learn but what is described in the Khymos web site reminded me of Ferran Adria and El Bulli. http://www.elbulli.info/review.htm Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Terry PogueSent: Saturday, March 31, 2012 3:51 PM Subject: Re: Re: ok you ice cream makers..need you suggestion It's good to know there are alternatives . I'm reading Texture A hydrocolloid Recipe Collection now trying to come up to date on these things. It's very interesting. It's available for free download athttp://khymos.org and http://blog.khymos.org/recipe-collectionterryOn Mar 31, 2012, at 2:57 PM, wrote:> You could easily sub cashews, pumpkin, hard winter squash, or even mild white beans for the creamy factor (replacing the cream cheese-could also use greek style yogurt or a combination of any of these) , rice/nut/almond/grain milk for the half and half, and skip the xanthum altogether. The xanthum is a stabilizer, and just serves to keep it scoopable after freezing, but if you store the ice cream in individual servings (I use pint mason jars), you can just set a jar out 20 minutes or so before you want to eat it and it should be a perfect consistency. > > > > > >> >> >> saw this rec and would like to give it a whirl but am not into all that fat in the 1/2 and 1/2 ..>> >> would using the xantham gum help if I tried this >> with fat free 1/2 and 1/2 or am I wasting my ingredients trying to make this low fat ???>> >> this is the recipe I was looking at :>> >> 1/2 cup (120 ml) half and half >> 3 ounces (85 g) cream cheese >> 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice >> 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract >> 1/3 cup (66 g) sugar or other sweetener, to taste >> 1 1/2 cups (224 g) frozen unsweetened strawberries >> 1/2 cup ice cubes >> Whipped topping >> Fresh blueberries>> > > > > > ------------------------------------> > Please bookmark these pages:> > /links/ > (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)> > /links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!

Guest guest

<smile> thanks Velda I take that as a fine compliment. I'm learning a lot here

from the members. and Lea Ann bone to mind but I read most all the

messages. You never know when you'll pick up a good tip or useful information.

Terry

Sent from my iPadHD

On Mar 31, 2012, at 6:26 PM, Velda <solomon@...> wrote:

> You sound like a cross between a scientist and a top chef Terry! It is

> fun to hear your latest experiment.

> Velda

>

> On 3/31/2012 12:51 PM, Terry Pogue wrote:

>> It's good to know there are alternatives . I'm reading Texture A

>> http://khymos.org and http://blog.khymos.org/recipe-collection

>> terry

>>

>>

>> On Mar 31, 2012, at 2:57 PM, wrote:

>>

>>> You could easily sub cashews, pumpkin, hard winter squash, or even mild

white beans for the creamy factor (replacing the cream cheese-could also use

greek style yogurt or a combination of any of these) , rice/nut/almond/grain

milk for the half and half, and skip the xanthum altogether. The xanthum is a

perfect consistency.

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>>

>>>> saw this rec and would like to give it a whirl but am not into all that

fat in the 1/2 and 1/2 ..

>>>>

>>>> would using the xantham gum help if I tried this

>>>> with fat free 1/2 and 1/2 or am I wasting my ingredients trying to make

this low fat ???

>>>>

>>>> this is the recipe I was looking at :

>>>>

>>>> 1/2 cup (120 ml) half and half

>>>> 3 ounces (85 g) cream cheese

>>>> 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

>>>> 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

>>>> 1/3 cup (66 g) sugar or other sweetener, to taste

>>>> 1 1/2 cups (224 g) frozen unsweetened strawberries

>>>> 1/2 cup ice cubes

>>>> Whipped topping

>>>> Fresh blueberries

>>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>> ------------------------------------

>>>

>>> Please bookmark these pages:

>>>

>>> /links/

>>> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers,

Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added

to)

>>>

>>>

>>> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you

Guest guest

Yes, it all started there. I was sad when he closed. He used to close 6 months of the year and take all of his chefs to the lab to work on ideas and then reopen El Bulli for 6 months using the techniques they had developed at the lab.I have not been. It was always very hard to get a reservation there. A very good friend of mine went last year with her husband and sent home photos and descriptions of their meal. It will be a lifetime memory. The man is genius.We have a pretty fabulous chef in my town <Washington,dc metro area> Andres who has several restaurants here. One is called MiniBar and only seats 6 where he presents molecular gastronomic dishes. His tapas restaurant is very good and we go often. Jaleo.TerrySent from my iPadHDOn Mar 31, 2012, at 6:29 PM, "Tom Matuschak" <pmatus@...> wrote:

When we went to Spain last year I ran across this restaurant in my research. To many it is the finest restaurant in the world. It would have been a hike to get to from Barcelona but I considered it until I ran across the prices of this place. Talk about expensive! I believe it is closed now but he has opened up an upscale tapas restaurant in Barcelona now. I am not sure he cooks like you want to learn but what is described in the Khymos web site reminded me of Ferran Adria and El Bulli. http://www.elbulli.info/review.htm Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Terry PogueSent: Saturday, March 31, 2012 3:51 PM Subject: Re: Re: ok you ice cream makers..need you suggestion It's good to know there are alternatives . I'm reading Texture A hydrocolloid Recipe Collection now trying to come up to date on these things. It's very interesting. It's available for free download athttp://khymos.org and http://blog.khymos.org/recipe-collectionterryOn Mar 31, 2012, at 2:57 PM, wrote:> You could easily sub cashews, pumpkin, hard winter squash, or even mild white beans for the creamy factor (replacing the cream cheese-could also use greek style yogurt or a combination of any of these) , rice/nut/almond/grain milk for the half and half, and skip the xanthum altogether. The xanthum is a stabilizer, and just serves to keep it scoopable after freezing, but if you store the ice cream in individual servings (I use pint mason jars), you can just set a jar out 20 minutes or so before you want to eat it and it should be a perfect consistency. > > > > > >> >> >> saw this rec and would like to give it a whirl but am not into all that fat in the 1/2 and 1/2 ..>> >> would using the xantham gum help if I tried this >> with fat free 1/2 and 1/2 or am I wasting my ingredients trying to make this low fat ???>> >> this is the recipe I was looking at :>> >> 1/2 cup (120 ml) half and half >> 3 ounces (85 g) cream cheese >> 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice >> 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract >> 1/3 cup (66 g) sugar or other sweetener, to taste >> 1 1/2 cups (224 g) frozen unsweetened strawberries >> 1/2 cup ice cubes >> Whipped topping >> Fresh blueberries>> > > > > > ------------------------------------> > Please bookmark these pages:> > /links/ > (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)> > /links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!

Guest guest

That iSI (say Easy) that i use was developed by Ferran Adria and one other to do the foams . We had a salad tonight using the Salsa Verde Foam dressing I made a few days ago. It's delicious.see picture of it http://www.flicker.com/terrypogue And very easy to do.TerrySent from my iPadHDOn Mar 31, 2012, at 6:29 PM, "Tom Matuschak" <pmatus@...> wrote:

Guest guest

We were planning our cruise from Barcelona almost for a year and a half and while I never tried to get a reservation at El Bulli I felt I had plenty of time to try.  I think I stopped looking when I tried to get a feel on how much a dinner cost there and as you can see from this web site this person claims his dinner was $1000.  That is way out of my league of this modest soap maker.    I see by your pictures you make pasta.  I do as well and I even made my last batch with the whole wheat flower I ground in the Vitamix.  I formed the dough in my Cuisinart though fearing the Vitamix would fly off the base if I tried to form the dough in it.    The second link is pictures of this person meal at El Bulli.http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2009/08/barcelona_el_bu.htmlhttp://www.amateurgourmet.com/2009/08/dinner_at_el_bu.html Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Terry PogueSent: Saturday, March 31, 2012 8:14 PM Subject: Re: Re: ok you ice cream makers..need you suggestion That iSI (say Easy) that i use was developed by Ferran Adria and one other to do the foams . We had a salad tonight using the Salsa Verde Foam dressing I made a few days ago. It's delicious.see picture of it http://www.flicker.com/terrypogue And very easy to do.TerrySent from my iPadHDOn Mar 31, 2012, at 6:29 PM, " Tom Matuschak " <pmatus@...> wrote:When we went to Spain last year I ran across this restaurant in my research. To many it is the finest restaurant in the world. It would have been a hike to get to from Barcelona but I considered it until I ran across the prices of this place. Talk about expensive! I believe it is closed now but he has opened up an upscale tapas restaurant in Barcelona now. I am not sure he cooks like you want to learn but what is described in the Khymos web site reminded me of Ferran Adria and El Bulli. http://www.elbulli.info/review.htm Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Terry PogueSent: Saturday, March 31, 2012 3:51 PM Subject: Re: Re: ok you ice cream makers..need you suggestion It's good to know there are alternatives . I'm reading Texture A hydrocolloid Recipe Collection now trying to come up to date on these things. It's very interesting. It's available for free download athttp://khymos.org and http://blog.khymos.org/recipe-collectionterryOn Mar 31, 2012, at 2:57 PM, wrote:> You could easily sub cashews, pumpkin, hard winter squash, or even mild white beans for the creamy factor (replacing the cream cheese-could also use greek style yogurt or a combination of any of these) , rice/nut/almond/grain milk for the half and half, and skip the xanthum altogether. The xanthum is a stabilizer, and just serves to keep it scoopable after freezing, but if you store the ice cream in individual servings (I use pint mason jars), you can just set a jar out 20 minutes or so before you want to eat it and it should be a perfect consistency. > > > > > >> >> >> saw this rec and would like to give it a whirl but am not into all that fat in the 1/2 and 1/2 ..>> >> would using the xantham gum help if I tried this >> with fat free 1/2 and 1/2 or am I wasting my ingredients trying to make this low fat ???>> >> this is the recipe I was looking at :>> >> 1/2 cup (120 ml) half and half >> 3 ounces (85 g) cream cheese >> 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice >> 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract >> 1/3 cup (66 g) sugar or other sweetener, to taste >> 1 1/2 cups (224 g) frozen unsweetened strawberries >> 1/2 cup ice cubes >> Whipped topping >> Fresh blueberries>> > > > > > ------------------------------------> > Please bookmark these pages:> > /links/ > (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)> > /links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!

Guest guest

What a wonderful way to start the day. Thank you Tom. I need to catch my breath before I try and talk much. What a glorious event. It makes me sad we were never lucky enough to experience El Bulli. More later, I need my first cup of coffee if the day.TerrySent from my iPadHDOn Apr 1, 2012, at 6:45 AM, "Tom Matuschak" <pmatus@...> wrote:

We were planning our cruise from Barcelona almost for a year and a half and while I never tried to get a reservation at El Bulli I felt I had plenty of time to try. I think I stopped looking when I tried to get a feel on how much a dinner cost there and as you can see from this web site this person claims his dinner was $1000. That is way out of my league of this modest soap maker. I see by your pictures you make pasta. I do as well and I even made my last batch with the whole wheat flower I ground in the Vitamix. I formed the dough in my Cuisinart though fearing the Vitamix would fly off the base if I tried to form the dough in it. The second link is pictures of this person meal at El Bulli.http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2009/08/barcelona_el_bu.htmlhttp://www.amateurgourmet.com/2009/08/dinner_at_el_bu.html Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Terry PogueSent: Saturday, March 31, 2012 8:14 PM Subject: Re: Re: ok you ice cream makers..need you suggestion That iSI (say Easy) that i use was developed by Ferran Adria and one other to do the foams . We had a salad tonight using the Salsa Verde Foam dressing I made a few days ago. It's delicious.see picture of it http://www.flicker.com/terrypogue And very easy to do.TerrySent from my iPadHDOn Mar 31, 2012, at 6:29 PM, "Tom Matuschak" <pmatus@...> wrote:When we went to Spain last year I ran across this restaurant in my research. To many it is the finest restaurant in the world. It would have been a hike to get to from Barcelona but I considered it until I ran across the prices of this place. Talk about expensive! I believe it is closed now but he has opened up an upscale tapas restaurant in Barcelona now. I am not sure he cooks like you want to learn but what is described in the Khymos web site reminded me of Ferran Adria and El Bulli. http://www.elbulli.info/review.htm Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Terry PogueSent: Saturday, March 31, 2012 3:51 PM Subject: Re: Re: ok you ice cream makers..need you suggestion It's good to know there are alternatives . I'm reading Texture A hydrocolloid Recipe Collection now trying to come up to date on these things. It's very interesting. It's available for free download athttp://khymos.org and http://blog.khymos.org/recipe-collectionterryOn Mar 31, 2012, at 2:57 PM, wrote:> You could easily sub cashews, pumpkin, hard winter squash, or even mild white beans for the creamy factor (replacing the cream cheese-could also use greek style yogurt or a combination of any of these) , rice/nut/almond/grain milk for the half and half, and skip the xanthum altogether. The xanthum is a stabilizer, and just serves to keep it scoopable after freezing, but if you store the ice cream in individual servings (I use pint mason jars), you can just set a jar out 20 minutes or so before you want to eat it and it should be a perfect consistency. > > > > > >> >> >> saw this rec and would like to give it a whirl but am not into all that fat in the 1/2 and 1/2 ..>> >> would using the xantham gum help if I tried this >> with fat free 1/2 and 1/2 or am I wasting my ingredients trying to make this low fat ???>> >> this is the recipe I was looking at :>> >> 1/2 cup (120 ml) half and half >> 3 ounces (85 g) cream cheese >> 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice >> 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract >> 1/3 cup (66 g) sugar or other sweetener, to taste >> 1 1/2 cups (224 g) frozen unsweetened strawberries >> 1/2 cup ice cubes >> Whipped topping >> Fresh blueberries>> > > > > > ------------------------------------> > Please bookmark these pages:> > /links/ > (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)> > /links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!