Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

No the sugar is not absorbed by the fiber. The intake of sugar into the

blood stream is slowed by the fiber, thus it does not raise the blood

sugar as high or as fast, with more even use by the body. I try to

combine fruits with vegetables (see Lea Ann's magic veg list on her

site: vitamixlady.com for the list of vegs which don't have

over-powering flavors and work well in smoothies.

Velda- I speak with the experience of over 35 years of VitaMix use and

being a retired nurse

On 4/1/2012 7:25 PM, lcpc wrote:

> I spoke with a demonstrator who is a nutritionist as well. She said that

using Vitamix and fruit are less concerning in terms of sugar intake because of

all the fiber included during the blending process: the sugar is absorbed by the

fiber?

>

> What are your thoughts on how much fruit we can blend in one day? I love it

so much, but I don't want to consume too much sugar in the process.

>

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

> Please bookmark these pages:

>

> /links/

> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes,

and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)

>

>

/links/IMPORTANT_VitamixE\

nthusiasts_Membership__001327149393/

> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you

unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of

Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from

coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page

and read messages online!

Guest guest

I agree with Velda and I think Dr. Lustig, he is the author of Sugar: The

Bitter Truth, says it very clearly

" When God made poison, it was packaged with the antidote--like fruit--which is

fiber and juice.

Wherever there's fructose in nature, there's way more fiber. The only exception

is honey, and that's guarded by bees! God made it hard to get " fructose sugar "

without eating the fiber.

The problem is: Man figured out a way to extract it! Not only has man made it

easy to get--but the food industry has made it impossible to avoid!

Pre-1975, before the invention of high-fructose corn syrup, Americans ate 63

pounds of sugar a year--today we're up to 156 pounds. That's 22 teaspoons a

day. The American Heart Association's 2009 Scientific Statement recommends the

maximum to be 6 teaspoons for women--9 teaspooons for men. "

> > I spoke with a demonstrator who is a nutritionist as well. She said that

all the fiber included during the blending process: the sugar is absorbed by the

fiber?

> >

> > What are your thoughts on how much fruit we can blend in one day? I love it

> >

> >

> >

> > ------------------------------------

> >

> > Please bookmark these pages:

> >

> > /links/

> > (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers,

Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added

to)

> >

> >

> > PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you

coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page

Guest guest

The fiber slows the absorption of the sugar into your bloodstream, but it doesn't prevent it. This is beneficial for helping to maintain "insulin sensitivity" because high swings of blood sugar up and down is not good!I would not consume more fruits in smoothie form, than would be good for you whole.

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Apr 1, 2012, at 10:25 PM, lcpc wrote:

I spoke with a demonstrator who is a nutritionist as well. She said that using Vitamix and fruit are less concerning in terms of sugar intake because of all the fiber included during the blending process: the sugar is absorbed by the fiber?

What are your thoughts on how much fruit we can blend in one day? I love it so much, but I don't want to consume too much sugar in the process.

Guest guest

Doesn't the use of the Xanthan gum in fruit desserts also slow the absorption of

the sugar into the bloodstream? I seem to recall reading something about that.

Terry

Sent from my iPadHD

On Apr 2, 2012, at 1:32 AM, Velda <solomon@...> wrote:

> No the sugar is not absorbed by the fiber. The intake of sugar into the

> blood stream is slowed by the fiber, thus it does not raise the blood

> sugar as high or as fast, with more even use by the body. I try to

> combine fruits with vegetables (see Lea Ann's magic veg list on her

> site: vitamixlady.com for the list of vegs which don't have

> over-powering flavors and work well in smoothies.

> Velda- I speak with the experience of over 35 years of VitaMix use and

> being a retired nurse

>

> On 4/1/2012 7:25 PM, lcpc wrote:

>> I spoke with a demonstrator who is a nutritionist as well. She said that

fiber?

>>

>> What are your thoughts on how much fruit we can blend in one day? I love it

>>

>>

>>

>> ------------------------------------

>>

>> Please bookmark these pages:

>>

>> /links/

>> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers,

Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added

to)

>>

>>

>> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you

Guest guest

I bet that it would. I know that Glucomannan powder does:http://www.konjacfoods.com/product/1.htmHow to use Konjac Glucomannan Powder: Drink it with water:Three times daily before each meal, briskly stir one level teasponn konjac powder (about 4 gram) in 8 ounces of water, drink immediatly before the begins to gel.Use it as thickenerThe most popular food thickener is the starch type thickener, such as cornstarch. Konjac glucomannan is a natural, odorless soluble fiber that is found in the konjac plant. The konjac glucomanan is the most viscosity food gum in nature. It has about ten times the viscosity than the cornstarch. Konjac glucomannan is also called konjac flour or konjac gum. Unlike the cornstarch, the konjac powder is the soluble fiber, which does not contain starch and sugar, it does not have calories. Konjac flour can be used as a thickening agent in food application. When using konjac flour for thickening, always mix it with a small amount of liquid (cold water, stock, wine, etc.) till smooth, then add this mixture to the food that you want thickened. If you add konjac powder directly to your food you will end up with a lumpy mess. Konjac powder can be used as a thickener for smooth gravies, sauces, glazes, soups, stews and casseroles. It is also a thickener in pies, puddings, custards and cake fillings. This naturally odorless, vegetable powder is also gluten-free, making it the perfect substitute in cooking and baking when flour and other glutinous starches must be avoided.Konjac powder doesn't thicken very much when mixed with cold water, but quickly thickens when it's heated. This is why you don't add dry konjac powder directly to hot liquids. It will seize and immediately turn into lumps because the konjac powder that contacts the water so quickly and fully absorbs the liquid before the adjacent konjac powder can. Mixing konjac powder with cold water allows it to absorb the water slow enough that it's easily and fully dissolved first. The dissolved konjac powder can then be added to a hot liquid to absorb it without lumping.Konjac powder is an ingredient to thicken sauces and gravies or any other cooked recipe. To use konjac powder as a thickening agent, first disperse it in a little cold water or other "watery" ingredients such as soy sauce, and slowly add it (with constant stirring) to the other ingredients while they are cooking. About 1 teaspoon of konjac powder will gel about one cup of liquid. If you have not used konjac powder as a thickening agent before, it is best to experiment with it by beginning with lesser amounts, and adding as necessary until the desired consistency is reached.Konjac powder has about ten times the thickening power of cornstarch. Dissolve the konjac powder in a little cold water before adding it to the sauce. Konjac flour thickens nicely when it's heated to boiling temperature, so it usually works well for savory sauces.You could also use a konjac powder to thicken your broth - konjac powder is a very powerful thickener and does not add much tasteSoluble Fiber Intake & Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: The ResearchResearch proves that the higher the viscosity of soluble fiber, the better the control of blood sugar level in patients with Type 2 diabetes.The konjac glucomanann is the most viscosity soluble fiber in the nature. According the medical research, Clinical Excellence for Nurse Practitioners. 2000 Sep;4(5):272-6 Dietary fiber and type 2 diabetes"Water-soluble fiber appears to have a greater potential to reduce postprandial blood glucose, insulin, and serum lipid levels than insoluble fiber. Viscosity of the dietary fiber is important; the greater the viscosity, the greater the effect." The New England Journal of Medicine (May 11, 2000. v342: 1392-1398)Beneficial effects of high dietary fiber intake in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus."A high intake of dietary fiber, particularly of the soluble type, above the level recommended by the ADA, improves glycemic control, decreases hyperinsulinemia, and lowers plasma lipid concentrations in patients with type 2 diabetes" Med Hypotheses. (June 2002; (6): 487-90)Glucomannan minimizes the postprandial insulin surge: a potential adjuvant for hepatothermic therapy. "Glucomannan (GM) is differentiated from other soluble fibers by the extraordinarily high viscosity of GM solutions. Administration of 4-5g of GM with meals, blended into fluid or mixed with food, can slow carbohydrate absorption and dampen the postprandial insulin response by up to 50%. "Diabetes Care (1999 Jun v22, i6; 913-919) Konjac-mannan (glucomannan) improves glycemia and other associated risk factors for coronary heart disease in type 2 diabetes. A randomized controlled metabolic trial. "KJM fiber added to conventional treatment may ameliorate glycemic control, blood lipid profile, and SBP in high-risk diabetic individuals, possibly improving the effectiveness of conventional treatment in type 2 diabetes"Diabetes Care (2000; 23: 9 - 14)Beneficial effects of viscous dietary fiber from Konjac-mannan in subjects with the insulin resistance syndrome: results of a controlled metabolic trial."A diet rich in high-viscosity KJM improves glycemic control and lipid profile, suggesting a therapeutic potential in the treatment of the insulin resistance syndrome."Journal of the American College of Nutrition (2003, February, 22(1): 36-42)Konjac supplement alleviated hypercholesterolemia and hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetic subjects--a randomized double-blind trial."The KGM supplement improved blood lipid levels by enhancing fecal excretion of neutral sterol and bile acid and alleviated the elevated glucose levels in diabetic subjects. KGM could be an adjunct for the treatment of hyperlipidemic diabetic subjects."Customer TestimonialsBefore using the Konjac Glucomannan (KGM) powder, my daily Blood Glucose average was over 155. The second day after I started using the powder (1/2 teaspoon, 3 times a day), my daily average was 125. I am now using 1 teaspoon 3 times a day and it is now averaging under 110. I also reduced my medication by 1/2 and may discontinue it completely. I'm happy and my doctors happy. Thanks again. Bill BrandtI received my konjac glucomannan powder last week. Since then, I've been using it as extra fiber and also as a thickener in low carb diet recipes. A little goes a long way - it only took a 1/2 teaspoon to thicken a sauce for an entire dinner. JoyI have used both Konjac and guar gum to thicken sauce. Even though they both work well, it is difficult to get the right consistency with guar gum. Konjac is easier to work with. MarselleI used Konjac "flour" to thicken my turkey gravy for thanksgiving and it worked wonderfully. A little bit thickens a lot. It behaves similar to cornstarch, except that it thickens up cold - no heating, stirring, or waiting for it to thicken. MarlaLast night, I used the glucomannan powder for the first time. I am very impressed! I normally use xanthan gum as a thickener, but I don't like the taste. The glucomannan has a neutral taste and it isn't slimy like the xanthan gum. I am looking forward to experimenting with it. LanaDiabetes Update By Daivd Mendosa Number 70; May 1, 2004

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Apr 2, 2012, at 10:03 AM, Terry Pogue wrote:

Doesn't the use of the Xanthan gum in fruit desserts also slow the absorption of the sugar into the bloodstream? I seem to recall reading something about that.

Terry

Sent from my iPadHD

On Apr 2, 2012, at 1:32 AM, Velda <solomon@...> wrote:

> No the sugar is not absorbed by the fiber. The intake of sugar into the

> blood stream is slowed by the fiber, thus it does not raise the blood

> sugar as high or as fast, with more even use by the body. I try to

> combine fruits with vegetables (see Lea Ann's magic veg list on her

> site: vitamixlady.com for the list of vegs which don't have

> over-powering flavors and work well in smoothies.

> Velda- I speak with the experience of over 35 years of VitaMix use and

> being a retired nurse

>

> On 4/1/2012 7:25 PM, lcpc wrote:

>> I spoke with a demonstrator who is a nutritionist as well. She said that using Vitamix and fruit are less concerning in terms of sugar intake because of all the fiber included during the blending process: the sugar is absorbed by the fiber?

>>

>> What are your thoughts on how much fruit we can blend in one day? I love it so much, but I don't want to consume too much sugar in the process.

>>

>>

>>

>> ------------------------------------

>>

>> Please bookmark these pages:

>>

>> /links/

>> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)

>>

>> /links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/

>> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!

Guest guest

Hello Janet,What article are you referring to?

On Apr 2, 2012, at 10:37 PM, Janet Fowler wrote:

Interesting article. I have looked but not found this in a health food store. Did you buy it online or in a store?

Janet