RemedySpot.com

Re: OT - Kefir vs yogurt

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Aloha,

I've never made kefir, although I have bought it from the store. I make yogurt

all the time. Yes, they are similar -- yogurt is thicker and kefir is thinner

(more drinkable). There are different but similar health benefits to both. )They

both help your intestines work properly.) I love yogurt and can eat it every

day. Kefir, for me, I have on occasion. Although I heard somewhere that belly

bloat can be fixed in a week with kefir, I don't specifically know the

differences other than there are two types of kefir one for milk and one for

water.

Best of luck on your journey to good health!

Aloha,

mirthfullady

>

> Hi,

>

> I posted this question yesterday but didn't see any replies; I hope I

> didn't miss it but I did look on the web-site too and didn't see any there

> either.

>

> I am pretty disappointed in the kefir I have been making. It is not smooth

> and creamy at all. Whether I shake back in the whey or siphon it off, it

> is clumpy and feels more like drinking curdled milk. Am I using it too

> soon? Does it need to sit in the refrig longer to thicken up? The last

> few batches I have made have been over half whey. The one I did last night

> (which is still on the kitchen counter) at this point hasn't separated at

> all (and usually it starts separating right away). (update - it did

> separate some but not as much as the other batches.)

>

> What are the benefit differences between kefir and yogurt? I have been

> thinking about buying some starts that will process on the counter without

> preheating the milk. I don't necessarily want to do both and wondered

> which is best (if there is such a thing).

>

> TIA!

>

> *Rena*

> If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

>

> Happy moments, *praise* God.

> Difficult moments, *seek* God.

> Quiet moments, *worship* God.

> Painful moments, *trust* God.

> Every moment, *thank* God.

>

Guest guest

I have been using freeze dried kefir http://www.amazon.com/Yogourmet-Freeze-Dried-Kefir-Starter/dp/B001EO69O2 because I was not sure if one I would like it or if I wanted to commit to it either and a local store sold it. I know myself enough to know I will tire of it after awhile and have to take a break from it so this product gives me the option of both. I have come to find out I like kefir and maybe someday I will commit to it and get the grains but this is perfect to get your feet wet so to speak. This product is easy to use and if you don't like it you are only out a few dollars and if you want to take a break from it you don't have to buy anymore or prepare the other packets. This link explains the difference between kefir and yogurt http://www.kefir.net/kefiryogurt.htm . This product sounds interesting in the fact that you can make other batches from the same mother batch. I may give this on a try after I use up the Yogourmet. Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Rena GlubaySent: Monday, March 26, 2012 2:55 PM Subject: OT - Kefir vs yogurt Hi, I posted this question yesterday but didn't see any replies; I hope I didn't miss it but I did look on the web-site too and didn't see any there either. I am pretty disappointed in the kefir I have been making. It is not smooth and creamy at all. Whether I shake back in the whey or siphon it off, it is clumpy and feels more like drinking curdled milk. Am I using it too soon? Does it need to sit in the refrig longer to thicken up? The last few batches I have made have been over half whey. The one I did last night (which is still on the kitchen counter) at this point hasn't separated at all (and usually it starts separating right away). (update - it did separate some but not as much as the other batches.)What are the benefit differences between kefir and yogurt? I have been thinking about buying some starts that will process on the counter without preheating the milk. I don't necessarily want to do both and wondered which is best (if there is such a thing).TIA! RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Guest guest

Rena, The time that it takes your kefir to 'kefir' can and will vary some

depending on many variables: the ambient temperature, time of year, state of the

grains, quality and type of milk to name a few. The end product of kefiring is a

success as long as it is pleasant for you to drink, either straight up or mixed

with other things. If your kefir is too clumpy for you, give it a mix-up with a

stick blender or your VM. I just did some using raw milk from cows who are

grass grazing again and it is the creamiest, smoothest I have ever made. Don't

know if it is just a transient thing, or if the creamy-ness will continue while

I use the raw milk. You are dealing with a living culture, just enjoy the ride:

a quick mix up in your VM will give you the smooth consistency you are looking

for.

Carol K

Hi,

I posted this question yesterday but didn't see any replies; I hope I didn't

miss it but I did look on the web-site too and didn't see any there either.

I am pretty disappointed in the kefir I have been making. It is not smooth and

creamy at all. Whether I shake back in the whey or siphon it off, it is clumpy

and feels more like drinking curdled milk. Am I using it too soon? Does it

need to sit in the refrig longer to thicken up? The last few batches I have

made have been over half whey. The one I did last night (which is still on the

kitchen counter) at this point hasn't separated at all (and usually it starts

separating right away). (update - it did separate some but not as much as the

other batches.)...

Guest guest

Hi Tom, Thanks for the link to the kefir vs yogurt site!  I will look through that (just reading the first paragraph had me intrigued; I just can't read it right now).  It sounds like both are good to use. I have the grains already so I'll just keep using them  Thanks!

RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God.

Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Tom Matuschak <pmatus@...> wrote:

I have been using freeze dried kefir http://www.amazon.com/Yogourmet-Freeze-Dried-Kefir-Starter/dp/B001EO69O2 because I was not sure if one I would like it or if I wanted to commit to it either and a local store sold it.  I know myself enough to know I will tire of it after awhile and have to take a break from it so this product gives me the option of both.  I have come to find out I like kefir and maybe someday I will commit to it and get the grains but this is perfect to get your feet wet so to speak.  This product is easy to use and if you don't like it you are only out a few dollars and if you want to take a break from it you don't have to buy anymore or prepare the other packets.

This link explains the difference between kefir and yogurt http://www.kefir.net/kefiryogurt.htm .  This product sounds interesting in the fact that you can make other batches from the same mother batch.  I may give this on a try after I use up the Yogourmet.

Tom  

Sent: Monday, March 26, 2012 2:55 PM Subject: OT - Kefir vs yogurt

Hi, 

I posted this question yesterday but didn't see any replies; I hope I didn't miss it but I did look on the web-site too and didn't see any there either.

I am pretty disappointed in the kefir I have been making.  It is not smooth and creamy at all.  Whether I shake back in the whey or siphon it off, it is clumpy and feels more like drinking curdled milk.  Am I using it too soon?  Does it need to sit in the refrig longer to thicken up?  The last few batches I have made have been over half whey.  The one I did last night (which is still on the kitchen counter) at this point hasn't separated at all (and usually it starts separating right away). (update - it did separate some but not as much as the other batches.)

What are the benefit differences between kefir and yogurt?  I have been thinking about buying some starts that will process on the counter without preheating the milk.  I don't necessarily want to do both and wondered which is best (if there is such a thing).

TIA! RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Guest guest

Hi Carol,Thanks for that explanation.  I guess I was expecting it to be a bit more consistent but others have probably explained that it is not; I'm just a slow learner - <g>.  The guy I got the grains from gave me a sample of some of his and it was very thick like yogurt.  I'll have to find out how he got it that way.  I don't mind it in the smoothie so I'll probably just keep using it that way.  I do like the whey on my hair so that is an added incentive to keep making it.

RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God.

Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 4:00 PM, Carol <ckarnes@...> wrote:

Rena, The time that it takes your kefir to 'kefir' can and will vary some depending on many variables: the ambient temperature, time of year, state of the grains, quality and type of milk to name a few. The end product of kefiring is a success as long as it is pleasant for you to drink, either straight up or mixed with other things. If your kefir is too clumpy for you, give it a mix-up with a stick blender or your VM. I just did some using raw milk from cows who are grass grazing again and it is the creamiest, smoothest I have ever made. Don't know if it is just a transient thing, or if the creamy-ness will continue while I use the raw milk. You are dealing with a living culture, just enjoy the ride: a quick mix up in your VM will give you the smooth consistency you are looking for.

Carol K

Hi, I posted this question yesterday but didn't see any replies; I hope I didn't miss it but I did look on the web-site too and didn't see any there either.

I am pretty disappointed in the kefir I have been making. It is not smooth and creamy at all. Whether I shake back in the whey or siphon it off, it is clumpy and feels more like drinking curdled milk. Am I using it too soon? Does it need to sit in the refrig longer to thicken up? The last few batches I have made have been over half whey. The one I did last night (which is still on the kitchen counter) at this point hasn't separated at all (and usually it starts separating right away). (update - it did separate some but not as much as the other batches.)...