RemedySpot.com

Re: OT - eating liver

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

This is a very good question. Raw liver has a lot of health benefits and

although it filters toxins, it does not store them.

Here is a good article on the benefits of eating raw liver:

http://www.westonaprice.org/food-features/liver-files

From the above article:

" In spite of widespread tradition and abundant scientific evidence on the health

benefits of liver, conventional nutritionists and government agencies now warn

against its consumption. The putative dangers of eating liver stem from two

concerns--the assumption that liver contains many toxins and the high level of

vitamin A that it provides.

One of the roles of the liver is to neutralize toxins (such as drugs, chemical

agents and poisons); but the liver does not store toxins. Poisonous compounds

that the body cannot neutralize and eliminate are likely to lodge in the fatty

tissues and the nervous system. The liver is not a storage organ for toxins but

it is a storage organ for many important nutrients (vitamins A, D, E, K, B12 and

folic acid, and minerals such as copper and iron). These nutrients provide the

body with some of the tools it needs to get rid of toxins. "

IMPORTANT WARNING - BE SURE that you HEED the advice to make sure that any raw

liver you eat has been in the freezer for 14 days!!! I was eating raw liver for

a while and shortly after discovered tape worms. Were the two things connected?

I don't know, but I can tell you that I didn't freeze the liver for 2 weeks

before eating it. I had to do a Hulda Parasite cleanse and now they are

all gone.

Another link with a little more info. on the " anti-fatigue factor " .

http://editor.nourishedmagazine.com.au/articles/anti-fatigue-factor-of-liver

Blessings,

Lea Ann Savage

Satellite Beach, FL

(321) 773-7088 (home)

(321-961-9219 (cell)

www.VitamixLady.com

www..com

<:)))><

On Apr 4, 2012, at 6:35 PM, Rena Glubay wrote:

I have a question and I hope it doesn't sound critical or judgmental because it

isn't meant to be. In a post earlier this week someone mentioned eating raw

liver. Why would someone want to eat an organ whose purpose is to filter all

the toxins, etc from the body? That sounds extremely unhealthy. I would be

interested in hearing the benefits of eating liver (raw or otherwise).

Rena

If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Happy moments, praise God.

Difficult moments, seek God.

Quiet moments, worship God.

Painful moments, trust God.

Every moment, thank God.

Guest guest

I thought it was a good question too and after reading the excerpts from the article I have another question. If the liver does not store toxins, then why are there so many gurus and products pushing things to detox the liver?

Fran

In a message dated 4/4/2012 7:14:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, lsavage@... writes:

This is a very good question. Raw liver has a lot of health benefits and although it filters toxins, it does not store them.Here is a good article on the benefits of eating raw liver:http://www.westonaprice.org/food-features/liver-filesFrom the above article:"In spite of widespread tradition and abundant scientific evidence on the health benefits of liver, conventional nutritionists and government agencies now warn against its consumption. The putative dangers of eating liver stem from two concerns--the assumption that liver contains many toxins and the high level of vitamin A that it provides.One of the roles of the liver is to neutralize toxins (such as drugs, chemical agents and poisons); but the liver does not store toxins. Poisonous compounds that the body cannot neutralize and eliminate are likely to lodge in the fatty tissues and the nervous system. The liver is not a storage organ for toxins but it is a storage organ for many important nutrients (vitamins A, D, E, K, B12 and folic acid, and minerals such as copper and iron). These nutrients provide the body with some of the tools it needs to get rid of toxins."IMPORTANT WARNING - BE SURE that you HEED the advice to make sure that any raw liver you eat has been in the freezer for 14 days!!! I was eating raw liver for a while and shortly after discovered tape worms. Were the two things connected? I don't know, but I can tell you that I didn't freeze the liver for 2 weeks before eating it. I had to do a Hulda Parasite cleanse and now they are all gone.Another link with a little more info. on the "anti-fatigue factor".http://editor.nourishedmagazine.com.au/articles/anti-fatigue-factor-of-liverBlessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><On'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><On Apr 4, 2012, at 6:35 PM, Rena Glubay wrote:I have a question and I hope it doesn't sound critical or judgmental because it isn't meant to be. In a post earlier this week someone mentioned eating raw liver. Why would someone want to eat an organ whose purpose is to filter all the toxins, etc from the body? That sounds extremely unhealthy. I would be interested in hearing the benefits of eating liver (raw or otherwise).RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.------------------------------------Please bookmark these pages:/links/ (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)/links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!

Guest guest

Thanks for the 14 day tip.

I was thinking of getting some and putting it in a smoothie with LOTS of

fruit to hide the taste.

Tony

On 4/4/2012 7:14 PM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:

> This is a very good question. Raw liver has a lot of health benefits and

>

> Here is a good article on the benefits of eating raw liver:

> http://www.westonaprice.org/food-features/liver-files

>

> > From the above article:

>

> " In spite of widespread tradition and abundant scientific evidence on the

health benefits of liver, conventional nutritionists and government agencies now

warn against its consumption. The putative dangers of eating liver stem from two

> One of the roles of the liver is to neutralize toxins (such as drugs, chemical

it is a storage organ for many important nutrients (vitamins A, D, E, K, B12 and

>

> IMPORTANT WARNING - BE SURE that you HEED the advice to make sure that any raw

all gone.

>

> Another link with a little more info. on the " anti-fatigue factor " .

> http://editor.nourishedmagazine.com.au/articles/anti-fatigue-factor-of-liver

>

> Blessings,

> Lea Ann Savage

> Satellite Beach, FL

> (321) 773-7088 (home)

> (321-961-9219 (cell)

> www.VitamixLady.com

> www..com

> <:)))><

>

> On Apr 4, 2012, at 6:35 PM, Rena Glubay wrote:

>

> I have a question and I hope it doesn't sound critical or judgmental because

it isn't meant to be. In a post earlier this week someone mentioned eating raw

>

> Rena

> If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

>

> Happy moments, praise God.

> Difficult moments, seek God.

> Quiet moments, worship God.

> Painful moments, trust God.

> Every moment, thank God.

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

> Please bookmark these pages:

>

> /links/

> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes,

and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)

>

>

/links/IMPORTANT_VitamixE\

nthusiasts_Membership__001327149393/

> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you

unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of

Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from

coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page

and read messages online!

Guest guest

Why do we eat raw liver on an almost daily basis? not for the taste! haha-Huge source of significant vitamins. Search food sources for Vitamin B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, B9 and B12, Vitamin A. Liver is a top 10 source and often the best source of these critical vitamins. Also, a source of manganese, selenium. A real eye opener to search for the top food sources for all of the basic vitamins and realize how nutrient dense meat is.When vitamins are eaten from meat the animal has done the work for you of converting nutrients to a bioavailable form. Vitamin A is a good example of this. What we get from carrots is not ready to use. what we get from liver is. Instead of taking a vitamin pill of chemical Vit Bs I just eat a small chunk of liver every day and am off to a strong start for the day! Also, prefer meat to a processed protein powder for similar reasons. -Just like in veggies and fruits, some vitamin loss occurs when cooking (amount of loss depends on cooking method). Heart is similar in its losses of nutrients like coQ10. We do add cooked offal to our menu as well. Often we combine with other things as the texture is a bit different than muscle meats.-Just like all of our meat, we only buy beef liver from fully pastured, grain free cows who are supplemented hay. If any grain is used in any of our meat then it is non GMO and certainly organic. We only eat meat that is antibiotic and hormone free (including their feed - a big hidden source of constant antibiotics in many people's diets). We buy from farmers that use pasture rotation methods and companion animal farming for the best quality growth in their pastures and therefore top quality meat. I also like to visit the farms and check for location of industry and power lines. I do buy meat from a farm with power lines nearby. Still, everything else there is great. We also inquire about the processing (butchering) methods (like is the beef in brine or dry hung? how long is dry hung?) so that we know what we are getting as much as possible (we also inquire into our veggies, nuts, seeds, sea veggies, herbs and fruits when possible too for the same reasons). We always freeze if for a period of time (some say 14 days, some say 30 - as with everything else that I share that we have found, please research and decide for yourself the length of freezer time).By buying this way we try to lesson any toxins from our foods. We reduce our toxic intake as much as possible (drink only filtered water from our own filter at home, even taking it with us when we travel, eating only organic foods, etc.) as much as possible but I am sure that there are some toxins in our meat just like there are some toxins in the are air we breath and even in our organic veggies and fruits as they are just all around us. But we reduce as much as possible the toxins in our diet and try to buy our foods raised in rich dirt/soil and raised in the healthiest ways. However, we must eat and so just try to get as much nutrition and the highest quality of the foods that we need and hope for a low toxic load. By making sure we have a nutrients I hope my body can handle the unavoidable, modern pollutants. These are just a few of the top reasons off of the top of my head. As for not taking offense, I never take offense when someone wants more information or is curious about why we eat the things we do or about nutrition in general. And I never expect offense to be taken when I ask others for information or to share their opinions. Of course, you did not simply ask why I choose to eat raw liver or what are the nutritional benefits of doing so. From the way you asked the question it would seem that you had a strong opinion already. If I thought that the liver stored toxins I might have the same reaction. Look into it a little deeper and do a little research as I know I am always surprised when I learn more about our food sources and nutrient sources! So interesting to learn! I was truly surprised to learn that often vitamins from veggie sources are harder to access and process for our bodies and are not simply "ready to use". Learning about Vitamin A was a little mind blowing at first! Researching the best sources for various nutrients was a real eye opener, too. For anything I research I always like to read at least several sources as the opinions, even of the same research, can vary. Like looking up the top food sources of various nutrients, for example. There are often different "top 10" lists depending on which author/site you read. However, there are many foods common to each resource so a reliable picture can develop. There are also sites that will give the exact break down of each food so you can compare and eat the most nutrient rich foods. There is rich history of eating offal around the world and throughout history. that is also interesting to learn more about. Until just recent years, liver was apart of most people's normal diet. even in old black and white sitcoms from the 50s one hears references to "eat your liver and onions". My grandmother's and great-grandmother's cookbooks and housewifery books are full of a much wider variety of meat recipes than today's cookbooks, including various offal recipes.Anyway, that is why I include a bit of liver in my morning shakes and include liver in our menu on a regular basis.

Thanks,My Favorite Video for My Little One!

On Apr 4, 2012, at 5:35 PM, Rena Glubay wrote:

I have a question and I hope it doesn't sound critical or judgmental because it isn't meant to be. In a post earlier this week someone mentioned eating raw liver. Why would someone want to eat an organ whose purpose is to filter all the toxins, etc from the body? That sounds extremely unhealthy. I would be interested in hearing the benefits of eating liver (raw or otherwise).

RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God.

Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Guest guest

Interesting article, but you can't change my mind. Liver is disgusting.

I have been of that opinion since I was a very young child. My parents

both loved it, but Dad would fix me a hamburger patty in the pan before

fixing their liver as I gagged at even the smell.

Velda

On 4/4/2012 4:14 PM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:

>

>

> > From the above article:

>

health benefits of liver, conventional nutritionists and government agencies now

warn against its consumption. The putative dangers of eating liver stem from two

> One of the roles of the liver is to neutralize toxins (such as drugs, chemical

>

> IMPORTANT WARNING - BE SURE that you HEED the advice to make sure that any raw

all gone.

>

>

> Blessings,

> Lea Ann Savage

> Satellite Beach, FL

> (321) 773-7088 (home)

> (321-961-9219 (cell)

> www.VitamixLady.com

> www..com

>

>

>

> Rena

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> /links/

> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes,

>

>

coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page

Guest guest

Excellent question. Is it about the money, or do they know something

the other guy does not.

Velda

On 4/4/2012 5:05 PM, fradal@... wrote:

I thought it was a good question too and after reading the

excerpts from the article I have another question. If the

liver does not store toxins, then why are there so many gurus

and products pushing things to detox the liver?

Fran

In a message dated 4/4/2012 7:14:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight

Time, lsavage@... writes:

This is

a very good question. Raw liver has a lot of health

benefits and although it filters toxins, it does not store

them.

Here is a good article on the benefits of eating raw

liver:

From the above article:

"In spite of widespread tradition and abundant scientific

evidence on the health benefits of liver, conventional

nutritionists and government agencies now warn against its

consumption. The putative dangers of eating liver stem

from two concerns--the assumption that liver contains many

toxins and the high level of vitamin A that it provides.

One of the roles of the liver is to neutralize toxins

(such as drugs, chemical agents and poisons); but the

liver does not store toxins. Poisonous compounds that the

body cannot neutralize and eliminate are likely to lodge

in the fatty tissues and the nervous system. The liver is

not a storage organ for toxins but it is a storage organ

for many important nutrients (vitamins A, D, E, K, B12 and

folic acid, and minerals such as copper and iron). These

nutrients provide the body with some of the tools it needs

to get rid of toxins."

IMPORTANT WARNING - BE SURE that you HEED the advice to

make sure that any raw liver you eat has been in the

freezer for 14 days!!! I was eating raw liver for a while

and shortly after discovered tape worms. Were the two

things connected? I don't know, but I can tell you that I

didn't freeze the liver for 2 weeks before eating it. I

had to do a Hulda Parasite cleanse and now they are

all gone.

Another link with a little more info. on the "anti-fatigue

factor".

Blessings,

Lea Ann Savage

Satellite Beach, FL

(321) 773-7088 (home)

(321-961-9219 (cell)

www.VitamixLady.com

www..com

I have a question and I hope it doesn't sound critical or

judgmental because it isn't meant to be. In a post

earlier this week someone mentioned eating raw liver. Why

would someone want to eat an organ whose purpose is to

filter all the toxins, etc from the body? That sounds

extremely unhealthy. I would be interested in hearing the

benefits of eating liver (raw or otherwise).

Rena

Every moment, thank God.

------------------------------------

Please bookmark these pages:

/links/

(this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs

and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful

information - this page is always being added to)

/links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/

PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH

MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the

Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom!

Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but

STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the

Links page and read messages online!

Guest guest

Not trying to change your mind :-) Just providing the information you asked

for.

Eating raw liver isn't my favorite activity. If you battled chronic fatigue,

and found something that helps (something that is much more bioavailable and

cheaper than vitamins from the health food store), perhaps you would choke it

down too.

Or, perhaps not :-)

Blessings,

Lea Ann Savage

Satellite Beach, FL

(321) 773-7088 (home)

(321-961-9219 (cell)

www.VitamixLady.com

www..com

On Apr 5, 2012, at 12:13 AM, Velda wrote:

Interesting article, but you can't change my mind. Liver is disgusting.

I have been of that opinion since I was a very young child. My parents

both loved it, but Dad would fix me a hamburger patty in the pan before

fixing their liver as I gagged at even the smell.

Velda

On 4/4/2012 4:14 PM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:

>

>

>> From the above article:

>

>

all gone.

>

>

> Blessings,

> Lea Ann Savage

> Satellite Beach, FL

> (321) 773-7088 (home)

> (321-961-9219 (cell)

> www.VitamixLady.com

> www..com

>

>

>

> Rena

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> /links/

>

>

Guest guest

Hello Fran,Just out of curiosity - can you show me a link where a guru is promoting a "liver detox" product? The only supplements that I am aware of that are often promoted for the liver are herbs that support the cells of the liver, and support the liver in doing it's work. For example - the most famous "liver herb" = Milk Thistle. "Milk Thistle. By far the most famous herb for liver health, milk thistle contains antioxidant flavonoids, which protect liver cells from damage by preventing toxin absorption and enhancing regeneration. Milk thistle is a part of most popular liver tonics, and it can also be ground fresh and sprinkled over food."http://www.naturalnews.com/027607_liver_detox_herbs.html#ixzz1rAlslmny It just doesn't make sense to claim to "detox" the organ who's job it is to "detox" our body.The liver is chock full of nutrients that help it do its job of detoxification (this is why it is such a valuable organ for consumption).If you Google "liver detox" you will see that most of the programs involve eating clean foods to support the liver. "Liver detoxes" are not the same as "colon cleanses" or "gall bladder flushes" where the proponents really are claiming to flush toxins out of that organ.The approach most "gurus" try to get you to take in order to "detox the liver" is to reduce or eliminate the toxins going Into Your Body (fewer toxins going in = fewer toxins for the liver to filter).A Guru can't claim to flush toxins out of the liver (without a gross misunderstanding of the organ and how it functions, or blatant attempt at false marketing).

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Apr 4, 2012, at 8:05 PM, fradal@... wrote:

I thought it was a good question too and after reading the excerpts from the article I have another question. If the liver does not store toxins, then why are there so many gurus and products pushing things to detox the liver?

Fran

In a message dated 4/4/2012 7:14:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, lsavage@... writes:

This is a very good question. Raw liver has a lot of health benefits and although it filters toxins, it does not store them.Here is a good article on the benefits of eating raw liver:http://www.westonaprice.org/food-features/liver-filesFrom the above article:"In spite of widespread tradition and abundant scientific evidence on the health benefits of liver, conventional nutritionists and government agencies now warn against its consumption. The putative dangers of eating liver stem from two concerns--the assumption that liver contains many toxins and the high level of vitamin A that it provides.One of the roles of the liver is to neutralize toxins (such as drugs, chemical agents and poisons); but the liver does not store toxins. Poisonous compounds that the body cannot neutralize and eliminate are likely to lodge in the fatty tissues and the nervous system. The liver is not a storage organ for toxins but it is a storage organ for many important nutrients (vitamins A, D, E, K, B12 and folic acid, and minerals such as copper and iron). These nutrients provide the body with some of the tools it needs to get rid of toxins."IMPORTANT WARNING - BE SURE that you HEED the advice to make sure that any raw liver you eat has been in the freezer for 14 days!!! I was eating raw liver for a while and shortly after discovered tape worms. Were the two things connected? I don't know, but I can tell you that I didn't freeze the liver for 2 weeks before eating it. I had to do a Hulda Parasite cleanse and now they are all gone.Another link with a little more info. on the "anti-fatigue factor".http://editor.nourishedmagazine.com.au/articles/anti-fatigue-factor-of-liverBlessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><On'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><On Apr 4, 2012, at 6:35 PM, Rena Glubay wrote:I have a question and I hope it doesn't sound critical or judgmental because it isn't meant to be. In a post earlier this week someone mentioned eating raw liver. Why would someone want to eat an organ whose purpose is to filter all the toxins, etc from the body? That sounds extremely unhealthy. I would be interested in hearing the benefits of eating liver (raw or otherwise).RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.------------------------------------Please bookmark these pages:/links/ (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)/links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!

Guest guest

A good "Liver Detox" website:http://www.detoxliver.net/From this website:"The liver is one of the most used organs of the human body. It does many functions which are vital to life. The liver plays a vital role in breaking down the nutrients in the digestion process and helps in building up tissues in the body or assimilation. It is also the storage place for many important minerals and vitamins such as copper, iron vitamins D, E, A and K, B12. The liver also produces the red blood cells that are the carriers of oxygen in the human body. It is therefore very important to keep the liver clean and healthy so that it is able to carry out its functions or else the regular functioning of the body could be hampered and lead to complications."People are always trying to sell supplements. IMO people should remember that if the proper nutrients are available in the diet, the body is designed to "detoxify" itself.However, in addition to nourishing the body (by providing a full range of amino acids, healthy fats, limited simple sugars, and the full compliment of trace minerals) it is important to also: 1) limit the toxins going it, and 2) facilitate the body's elimination pathways (to help get the toxins going out).We live in such a toxic world, the IMO we should do whatever we can to: 1) "eat clean", and 2) facilitate the removal of toxins from our bodies. Toxins leave via the skin, urine, and feces. People often don't drink enough water to help the kidneys release toxins. People often eat foods that are loaded with anti-nutrients, or fill up on nutrient-neutral foods which often leads to: 1) constipation, or 2) diarrhea, (both of which destroy the healthy flora in the colon). Constipation clogs up the "feces" toxin elimination pathway, and diarrhea reduces the body's chance to get all of the nutrients from the foods. Additionally, people are: 1) to inactive, and 2) don't sweat enough to stimulate the lymph system which is a major pathway to toxin elimination.I am mercury poisoned which I attribute to a clogging up of my elimination pathways.To assist the Kidneys, I drink 9 cups of water a day.To assist the feces elimination pathway, I am working on the GAPS diet.To assist the skin elimination pathway, I do frequent saunas, jump on the trampoline daily (to stimulate lymph movement), Do 15 jumping jacks every 15 minutes (again to stimulate the movement of lymph), and do dry skin brushing (Google for more information).I think that food is a better source of nutrients than supplements WHEN possible. Food sources of nutrients are better absorbed, have less waste, and cost less than bottled supplements. That isn't to say I don't take supplements, I just TRY to use food when possible. Liver works much better for me than B Vitamins and A Vitamins from the health food store (and the liver doesn't turn my pee yellow :-)Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Apr 5, 2012, at 12:14 AM, Velda wrote:

Excellent question. Is it about the money, or do they know something

the other guy does not.

Velda

On 4/4/2012 5:05 PM, fradal@... wrote:

I thought it was a good question too and after reading the

excerpts from the article I have another question. If the

liver does not store toxins, then why are there so many gurus

and products pushing things to detox the liver?

Fran

In a message dated 4/4/2012 7:14:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight

Time, lsavage@... writes:

This is

a very good question. Raw liver has a lot of health

benefits and although it filters toxins, it does not store

them.

Here is a good article on the benefits of eating raw

liver:

From the above article:

"In spite of widespread tradition and abundant scientific

evidence on the health benefits of liver, conventional

nutritionists and government agencies now warn against its

consumption. The putative dangers of eating liver stem

from two concerns--the assumption that liver contains many

toxins and the high level of vitamin A that it provides.

One of the roles of the liver is to neutralize toxins

(such as drugs, chemical agents and poisons); but the

liver does not store toxins. Poisonous compounds that the

body cannot neutralize and eliminate are likely to lodge

in the fatty tissues and the nervous system. The liver is

not a storage organ for toxins but it is a storage organ

for many important nutrients (vitamins A, D, E, K, B12 and

folic acid, and minerals such as copper and iron). These

nutrients provide the body with some of the tools it needs

to get rid of toxins."

IMPORTANT WARNING - BE SURE that you HEED the advice to

make sure that any raw liver you eat has been in the

freezer for 14 days!!! I was eating raw liver for a while

and shortly after discovered tape worms. Were the two

things connected? I don't know, but I can tell you that I

didn't freeze the liver for 2 weeks before eating it. I

had to do a Hulda Parasite cleanse and now they are

all gone.

Another link with a little more info. on the "anti-fatigue

factor".

Blessings,

Lea Ann Savage

Satellite Beach, FL

(321) 773-7088 (home)

(321-961-9219 (cell)

www.VitamixLady.com

www..com

I have a question and I hope it doesn't sound critical or

judgmental because it isn't meant to be. In a post

earlier this week someone mentioned eating raw liver. Why

would someone want to eat an organ whose purpose is to

filter all the toxins, etc from the body? That sounds

extremely unhealthy. I would be interested in hearing the

benefits of eating liver (raw or otherwise).

Rena

Every moment, thank God.

------------------------------------

Please bookmark these pages:

/links/

(this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs

and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful

information - this page is always being added to)

/links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/

PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH

MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the

Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom!

Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but

STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the

Links page and read messages online!

Guest guest

My grandmother who raised me had pernicious anemia. So I'd I. I'm very like her in ailments. <g> I remember the doc told her to eat raw liver when she was very bad. She could not but could choke it down if it was seared but rare in the middle. This was back in the late 1930’s but sometimes there is a reason these old treatments worked.Sent from my iPadHDOn Apr 5, 2012, at 9:35 AM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

Hello Fran,Just out of curiosity - can you show me a link where a guru is promoting a "liver detox" product? The only supplements that I am aware of that are often promoted for the liver are herbs that support the cells of the liver, and support the liver in doing it's work. For example - the most famous "liver herb" = Milk Thistle. "Milk Thistle. By far the most famous herb for liver health, milk thistle contains antioxidant flavonoids, which protect liver cells from damage by preventing toxin absorption and enhancing regeneration. Milk thistle is a part of most popular liver tonics, and it can also be ground fresh and sprinkled over food."http://www.naturalnews.com/027607_liver_detox_herbs.html#ixzz1rAlslmny It just doesn't make sense to claim to "detox" the organ who's job it is to "detox" our body.The liver is chock full of nutrients that help it do its job of detoxification (this is why it is such a valuable organ for consumption).If you Google "liver detox" you will see that most of the programs involve eating clean foods to support the liver. "Liver detoxes" are not the same as "colon cleanses" or "gall bladder flushes" where the proponents really are claiming to flush toxins out of that organ.The approach most "gurus" try to get you to take in order to "detox the liver" is to reduce or eliminate the toxins going Into Your Body (fewer toxins going in = fewer toxins for the liver to filter).A Guru can't claim to flush toxins out of the liver (without a gross misunderstanding of the organ and how it functions, or blatant attempt at false marketing).

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

Fran

Guest guest

So glad for the vitamix for my raw liver! Don't really like it cooked either so mix it in with ground meat and then don't know it is there (same for heart). As long as I drink my smoothie immediately I don't taste it. Put it in frozen with fruit and sometimes veggies like zucchini or carrots. So glad I don't have to just eat it!

On Apr 5, 2012, at 10:23 AM, Terry Pogue wrote:

My grandmother who raised me had pernicious anemia. So I'd I. I'm very like her in ailments. <g> I remember the doc told her to eat raw liver when she was very bad. She could not but could choke it down if it was seared but rare in the middle. This was back in the late 1930’s but sometimes there is a reason these old treatments worked.Sent from my iPadHDOn Apr 5, 2012, at 9:35 AM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

Fran

Guest guest

Thanks for the detailed reply. I already eat liver daily and yet your replies were informative to me and I learned new things!I think most detox books and blurbs I have read refer to helping the liver to detoxify, helping it perform stronger/better, just as you said in your replies. We always stop and think about modern remedies, especially if they are new. I have been thinking why jumping on a trampoline, a modern invention, is so helpful to the body and how did people get the effect in the past? Then I realized how healthy horseback riding is and I am sure that is one of the reasons. Taking care of the horses is good exercise. Riding gets one fresh air, sunshine and muscle use. In addition, one is bounced up and down similar to a trampoline. Just some thinking I was doing on this.

On Apr 5, 2012, at 8:35 AM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:

Fran

Guest guest

Regarding movement and trampolines and "old times". In the "old times" we were simply physical and moving all day long (as our body's are designed for). Gardening (lots of large muscle involvement), making milk (shaking), cleaning clothes (lots of arm movements), lifting, walking, etc. We were simply active all day long.Today, we sit for long periods of time which is very bad for our health.http://www.google.com/search?client=safari & rls=en & q=sitting+and+health & ie=UTF-8 & oe=UTF-8I am fighting a cold today (and for the past 3 days), so instead of my usual jumping jacks (or mini calisthenics sessions) every 15 minutes, when the buzzer goes off, I just stand up and massage my neck lymph glands, my chest lymph glands, swipe my arms and legs in the direction of proper lymph flow, and gently move my body.Your post has made me long for the days when I was growing up with my horse, "ee". Can't have horses here on the beach :-(BTW - the topic "eating liver" isn't so OT because some use the Vitamix to hide the taste!

On Apr 5, 2012, at 12:24 PM, hai quan wrote:

Thanks for the detailed reply. I already eat liver daily and yet your replies were informative to me and I learned new things!I think most detox books and blurbs I have read refer to helping the liver to detoxify, helping it perform stronger/better, just as you said in your replies. We always stop and think about modern remedies, especially if they are new. I have been thinking why jumping on a trampoline, a modern invention, is so helpful to the body and how did people get the effect in the past? Then I realized how healthy horseback riding is and I am sure that is one of the reasons. Taking care of the horses is good exercise. Riding gets one fresh air, sunshine and muscle use. In addition, one is bounced up and down similar to a trampoline. Just some thinking I was doing on this.

On Apr 5, 2012, at 8:35 AM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:

Fran

Guest guest

Lea Ann I did NOT ask for liver information (I think it was Rena who

asked), I was simply reacting to the idea of eating liver.

They wanted me to eat it when I was pregnant too, but I could not

choke it down. I found other ways to get iron.

Velda

On 4/5/2012 6:01 AM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:

Not trying to change your mind :-) Just providing the information you asked for.

Eating raw liver isn't my favorite activity. If you battled chronic fatigue, and found something that helps (something that is much more bioavailable and cheaper than vitamins from the health food store), perhaps you would choke it down too.

Blessings,

Lea Ann Savage

Satellite Beach, FL

(321) 773-7088 (home)

(321-961-9219 (cell)

www.VitamixLady.com

www..com

Interesting article, but you can't change my mind. Liver is disgusting. I have been of that opinion since I was a very young child. My parents both loved it, but Dad would fix me a hamburger patty in the pan before fixing their liver as I gagged at even the smell.

Velda

Guest guest

Ooops - sorry :-)Glad there are other ways to get iron!

On Apr 5, 2012, at 4:56 PM, Velda wrote:

Lea Ann I did NOT ask for liver information (I think it was Rena who

asked), I was simply reacting to the idea of eating liver.

They wanted me to eat it when I was pregnant too, but I could not

choke it down. I found other ways to get iron.

Velda

On 4/5/2012 6:01 AM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:

Not trying to change your mind :-) Just providing the information you asked for.

Eating raw liver isn't my favorite activity. If you battled chronic fatigue, and found something that helps (something that is much more bioavailable and cheaper than vitamins from the health food store), perhaps you would choke it down too.

Blessings,

Lea Ann Savage

Satellite Beach, FL

(321) 773-7088 (home)

(321-961-9219 (cell)

www.VitamixLady.com

www..com

Interesting article, but you can't change my mind. Liver is disgusting. I have been of that opinion since I was a very young child. My parents both loved it, but Dad would fix me a hamburger patty in the pan before fixing their liver as I gagged at even the smell.

Velda