RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Kefir report and question - still hoping for some info

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hey ,Did you answer the question I sent earlier today? I just looked at the messages on the group site and I don't see any replies to the questions I posted earlier today.

Here is what I posted earlier today:I made my first batch of kefir.  Have let is set in the counter for an additional 24 hours as recommended (now at 16 hours into that 24).  It has a cottage cheese looking substance at the top which wasn't there at the beginning.  What is it and what do I do with it, just stir it in? Strain

it off?

The second batch looks different (it is also 16 hours into the process).  I didn't look at the first batch in the middle of the process

but this one has a large amount of clear-ish liquid at the bottom.  The

first batch didn't have this but rather had pockets of clear-ish liquid.  Will this batch end up that way too?  I did rinse the grains this time (as someone suggested I do) which I didn't do with the first batch. I hope I haven't ruined my grains.  Maybe I am just being a worry-wart?

I used some of the original batch in a cooked potato dish this morning.  It called for 1 cup milk so I did 1/2 c kefir and 1/2 c milk. 

You couldn't taste it. Does it run the beneficial properties to cook it?Thanks for your time in looking this over.RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 7:17 PM, <berrywell@...> wrote:

I did answer you....have you checked your spam folder? Every now and then group emails will go to spam. I actually answered quite at length..might check there?

>

> I keep watching my e-mail but haven't seen anything come in answering the

> questions I sent earlier. Any thoughts or suggestions? ? Carol?

> Anybody [?]?

>

> *Rena*

> If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

>

> Happy moments, *praise* God.

> Difficult moments, *seek* God.

> Quiet moments, *worship* God.

> Painful moments, *trust* God.

> Every moment, *thank* God.

>

Guest guest

They are grains!  This is the strained kefir that was sitting out to ripen for another 24 hours.  These grains are very prolific.  I have about 1/3 - 1/2 c from this " batch " .  But the kefir doesn't have much of a taste and is not very thick; nothing like the original sample that I started this process with.  I used reduced fat organic (yes - ultrapasturized) milk.  Do I refrigerate it at this point(without the grains)?  Will it get stronger?  Thicker? The second batch is still incubating (I guess that is what you would call it). It looks so much different from the first batch I made. Should I go ahead and strain it or leave it for another day?

Also, I am out of milk (didn't buy enough) and won't be able to get to the store before tomorrow afternoon.  Should I just store the grains in a sealed jar on the counter or refrig?Thanks for your help!

RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God.

Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 8:07 PM, <berrywell@...> wrote:

I did answer this, but I can't find it either...guess it is in the black cloud somewhere, lol. Take a pair of wooden chopsticks, or a plastic fork, and see if the " cottage cheese " is just the grains floating? (the grains you started with should have looked like miniature cauliflowers, unless it was a " starter " type kefir, meaning just liquid with no visable grains?? The clear liquid is just the whey seperating, and it can either me skimmed off (a turkey baster works great for such things) or stirred back in. I seriously doubt you have ruined your grains-they are pretty durable. Cooking will kill off the good enzymes, but there is no harm in using it in cooked foods, you just won't get the probiotic results. What kind of milk did you use?

> > >

> > > I keep watching my e-mail but haven't seen anything come in answering the

> > > questions I sent earlier. Any thoughts or suggestions? ? Carol?

> > > Anybody [?]?

> > >

> > > *Rena*

> >

> > > If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

> > >

> > > Happy moments, *praise* God.

> > > Difficult moments, *seek* God.

> > > Quiet moments, *worship* God.

> > > Painful moments, *trust* God.

> > > Every moment, *thank* God.

> > >

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

I agree the ultra pasteurized milk is lacking in bacteria, I cannot use it either in my cheese makingSent from my iPadOn Mar 18, 2012, at 8:01 PM, "" <berrywell@...> wrote: What has most likely happened is that the grains just haven't quite bounced back from being refigerated yet-one more freshening up of fresh milk should restore them. Often when they have been in the fridge, they get a bit sluggish, and is probably why this batch isn't as thick as what you started with. Try again with fresh milk, trying your best to not use ultra pastuerized, which will NOT give a good result. >> They are grains! This is the *strained* kefir that was sitting out to> ripen for another 24 hours. These grains are very prolific. I have about> 1/3 - 1/2 c from this "batch". But the kefir doesn't have much of a taste> and is not very thick; nothing like the original sample that I started this> process with. I used reduced fat organic (yes - ultrapasturized) milk. Do> I refrigerate it at this point(without the grains)? Will it get stronger?> Thicker? The second batch is still incubating (I guess that is what you> would call it). It looks so much different from the first batch I made.> Should I go ahead and strain it or leave it for another day?> > Also, I am out of milk (didn't buy enough) and won't be able to get to the> store before tomorrow afternoon. Should I just store the grains in a> sealed jar on the counter or refrig?> > Thanks for your help!> > *Rena*> If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.>

Guest guest

I figured out what happened.  I got my jars mixed up. The jar that I thought was the first batch that was strained and left on the counter to ripen was actually the second batch with the grains.  The jar that I thought was the second batch with the grains was actually the first batch.  Soooo, the first batch was creamier and tangier but still not as creamy or tangy as the sample I started with.  I removed much of the whey but all I have it a small dropper used to dispense kids meds (lol!).  It took a little while to do it and I know I didn't get it all. It is now in the refrig.  The second batch is sitting on the counter ripening and I put the rest of the milk (only about 1.5 cups or so) on the grains to keep them happy.  I'll try pouring the whey on my hair in the morning (I hope it doesn't make it too soft - I have fine hair that doesn't have a lot of body).  I assume I rinse it out.

I am much less confused now!RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 9:01 PM, <berrywell@...> wrote:

What has most likely happened is that the grains just haven't quite bounced back from being refigerated yet-one more freshening up of fresh milk should restore them. Often when they have been in the fridge, they get a bit sluggish, and is probably why this batch isn't as thick as what you started with. Try again with fresh milk, trying your best to not use ultra pastuerized, which will NOT give a good result.

>

> They are grains! This is the *strained* kefir that was sitting out to

> ripen for another 24 hours. These grains are very prolific. I have about

> 1/3 - 1/2 c from this " batch " . But the kefir doesn't have much of a taste

> and is not very thick; nothing like the original sample that I started this

> process with. I used reduced fat organic (yes - ultrapasturized) milk. Do

> I refrigerate it at this point(without the grains)? Will it get stronger?

> Thicker? The second batch is still incubating (I guess that is what you

> would call it). It looks so much different from the first batch I made.

> Should I go ahead and strain it or leave it for another day?

>

> Also, I am out of milk (didn't buy enough) and won't be able to get to the

> store before tomorrow afternoon. Should I just store the grains in a

> sealed jar on the counter or refrig?

>

> Thanks for your help!

>

> *Rena*

> If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

>