RemedySpot.com

don't miss this recipe

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Think I Found it...!! this is it right ?????? And you said just mix some in to hummus ?????????Avanti's Zhug (adapted from Yemeni Hot Sauce)

Yield: about 2 quarts

8 bunches fresh cilantro, rinsed

3 bunches fresh Italian parsley, rinsed, thick stems cut off

Coarse salt for salting water, about 1 tablespoon

10 garlic cloves, peeled

1/2 pound fresh Serrano chilies with seeds, stems removed, each cut in half, see cook's notes

3 tablespoons ground cardamom

2 tablespoons caraway seeds

2 tablespoons coarse salt (kosher or sea)

2 1/4 teaspoons citric acid, see cook's notes

2 teaspoons ground black pepper

1 cup fresh orange juice

1/2 cup fresh grapefruit juice

1/3 cup fresh lemon juice

1/4 cup fresh lime juice

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

2 cups brewed hot green tea or hot water

Cook's notes: I like a slightly milder version, so I use 6 large jalapeno chilies (cut in quarters with the seeds) instead of Serrano chilies. If you want an even milder sauce, use Anaheim chilies. The citric acid is optional; it keeps the sauce from discoloring. I use "Fruit Fresh" – a product sold in the canning section of the supermarket

that is primarily citric acid. Use caution when working with fresh chilies; wash hands and work surface thoroughly upon completion and do NOT touch eyes or face.

1. Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a 4- to 6-quart pan on high heat. Add salt to the water. Add parsley and cilantro in two batches, pushing it down with tongs and boiling for about 5 to 10 seconds to wilt

it. Drain both batches well in colander. Coarsely chop and place in large bowl. Add all remaining ingredients to bowl except the hot tea. Stir to combine.

2. Working in 6 to 8 batches, puree in blender, adding a little hot tea to each batch before blending. If you have a heavy-duty blender, you can

puree it in 3 to 4 batches, adding hot tea to each batch. Stir batches together to combine.

>> I posted the recipe but if you would like to see it made here is the video. Zhug is a totally delicious sauce. Great with chicken or fish. I'd put it on anything.> > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded & v=O62NgHUI0Ms#!>>

Guest guest

Yes, it's delicious but this stuff woukd be great on roofing shingles. You might want to customize It to suit you, like I didn't use serannos but used 2 very large jalapeño peppers, seeds and all. Serranos are too hot for us as we have gotten older. I didn't add carraway since hubby doesn't care for them. I used just regular old vitamin c tablets for fruit fresh. I cut back on the salt. And I think I upped the ground cardamom a bit since we love that flavor.My assistant used it with some cream and a bit of pasta water to make the sauce she put over farfalle. Her family went wild for it. I had it smeared on pita with some roast chicken for our lunch. Tonight I am making a white bean, rosemary and chicken soup and I'll add some Zhug to that.Be sure and go to the website in the recipe and watch it made. It's dead easy in the Vitamix and certainly no need for us to cut off any of the parsley stems. The chef is using a VitaMix but I think he does that for folks using a regular low power blender. The writer/chef of the blog suggests putting a tablespoon or so into Greek yogurt for a vegetable dip.My suggestion was to make the Zhug but not to wash the container and make the hummus. I'm sure I'll add more Zhug to the hummus but why waste the bits remaining in the VM after making the Zhug.Sent from my iPadHDOn Apr 23, 2012, at 1:13 PM, "crenita2" <crenita@...> wrote:

Think I Found it...!! this is it right ?????? And you said just mix some in to hummus ?????????Avanti's Zhug (adapted from Yemeni Hot Sauce)

Yield: about 2 quarts

8 bunches fresh cilantro, rinsed

3 bunches fresh Italian parsley, rinsed, thick stems cut off

Coarse salt for salting water, about 1 tablespoon

10 garlic cloves, peeled

1/2 pound fresh Serrano chilies with seeds, stems removed, each cut in half, see cook's notes

3 tablespoons ground cardamom

2 tablespoons caraway seeds

2 tablespoons coarse salt (kosher or sea)

2 1/4 teaspoons citric acid, see cook's notes

2 teaspoons ground black pepper

1 cup fresh orange juice

1/2 cup fresh grapefruit juice

1/3 cup fresh lemon juice

1/4 cup fresh lime juice

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

2 cups brewed hot green tea or hot water

Cook's notes: I like a slightly milder version, so I use 6 large jalapeno chilies (cut in quarters with the seeds) instead of Serrano chilies. If you want an even milder sauce, use Anaheim chilies. The citric acid is optional; it keeps the sauce from discoloring. I use "Fruit Fresh" – a product sold in the canning section of the supermarket

that is primarily citric acid. Use caution when working with fresh chilies; wash hands and work surface thoroughly upon completion and do NOT touch eyes or face.

1. Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a 4- to 6-quart pan on high heat. Add salt to the water. Add parsley and cilantro in two batches, pushing it down with tongs and boiling for about 5 to 10 seconds to wilt

it. Drain both batches well in colander. Coarsely chop and place in large bowl. Add all remaining ingredients to bowl except the hot tea. Stir to combine.

2. Working in 6 to 8 batches, puree in blender, adding a little hot tea to each batch before blending. If you have a heavy-duty blender, you can

puree it in 3 to 4 batches, adding hot tea to each batch. Stir batches together to combine.

>> I posted the recipe but if you would like to see it made here is the video. Zhug is a totally delicious sauce. Great with chicken or fish. I'd put it on anything.> > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded & v=O62NgHUI0Ms#!>>