RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: New to the group and a question about apples

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Thanks for the welcome, . I have been trying to buy more organic fruits and veggies as a rule, but some items aren't available. We are fortunate to be getting a brand new Whole Foods next month near where we live. Every time I drive by the I progress store, I take a peek to see how it's coming along. I can't wait (obviously). Having that store nearby will help me in my quest for ALL my fruits and veggies to be organic. We do have a great farmers market nearby too, but this coming season I will be asking more questions of the farmers about how they handle pests. One of those growers is going to be my first CSA experience. We are really looking forward to that. The added expense for organic is going to be worth it in the long run. Even my parrot "Lucy" is pleased with my Vitamix purchase, because every time I make a smoothie or soup, she gets more fruits and veggies. Pretty soon she'll be imitating the sound of the Vitamix. Oh, I hope not! ;)EileenSent from my iPadOn Jan 19, 2012, at 8:37 AM, "" <berrywell@...> wrote:

Welcome, Eileen. GREAT that you have your family on the right track! You are very right to question the waxy stuff on apples, and other produce-YUKKK. Vegetable wax is typically a blend of genetically modified corn, soy, and wheat based ingredients, and is a huge issue for anyone with allergies. Some of the waxes even contain shellac, which comes from dead bugs, blekkkk. I highly recommend ALL organic produce, to avoid not only the waxes but pesticides and herbicides as well...not to mention that MANY non organic fruits and veggies are genetically modified (biggest BLEKKKK of all) Many people think organic is too expensive..or more expensive than commercially grown, but if you learn how and where to shop for organic, it can actually be found cheaper! Not all farmers markets are organic, but your chances of finding good organics are better at a farmers market, local food co op, or local farming CSA-ask around at health food stores to see if you can find a source. Welcome to Vitamixing-glad you joined us.

>

> I'm a new Vitamix owner and new to the group. I love my machine so much, and I've got my husband and our 20 year old son and 18 year old daughter well on the road to eating more raw and less processed foods. It's to the point where my husband can't leave the house in the morning without a delicious smoothie. My vegetable hating daughter is doing quite well with spinach in a smoothie and soups with vegetables. That's a miracle! My college sophomore son has always liked veggies but I'm still working on trying to encourage him in the right nutritional direction. The boy

> loves White Castle more than life itself ;) So, here's a question for you. Why on earth are apples waxy? What is that stuff?! I can remember my mother was a stickler for peeling apples before I ate them when I was a kid. She didn't trust what gook was on the apples either!

> Eileen

>

, I'm in southeastern Pennsylvania....I heard our store is to open in February. I have an African Gray as well :) Right at this moment, she is meowing like the cat and making nose blowing sounds and all of that makes sense because the cat is in he room and I have a cold. You KNOW the sound of the Vitamix is next ;)Eileen On Jan 19, 2012, at 9:43 AM, "" <berrywell@...> wrote:

Eileen, are you by any chance near Naples, FL? My mom is down there and she said they are getting a Whole Foods next month-I am so glad! Let's DO hope Lucy doesn't immitate the Vitamix! I have a friend that has an African Gray parrot, and OH, MY..the things that cheeky bird does repeat! I should buy my friend a Vitamix in hopes that he DOES immitate it, rather than his current naugty vocab!

> > >

> > > I'm a new Vitamix owner and new to the group. I love my machine so much, and I've got my husband and our 20 year old son and 18 year old daughter well on the road to eating more raw and less processed foods. It's to the point where my husband can't leave the house in the morning without a delicious smoothie. My vegetable hating daughter is doing quite well with spinach in a smoothie and soups with vegetables. That's a miracle! My college sophomore son has always liked veggies but I'm still working on trying to encourage him in the right nutritional direction. The boy

> > > loves White Castle more than life itself ;) So, here's a question for you. Why on earth are apples waxy? What is that stuff?! I can remember my mother was a stickler for peeling apples before I ate them when I was a kid. She didn't trust what gook was on the apples either!

> > > Eileen

> > >

> >

> >

>